A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

Pub Date 23 Apr 2019 | Archive Date 31 Mar 2019
Oni Press, Limerence Press

Talking about this book? Use #AquickEasyGuideToQueerTransIdentities #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this quick and easy guide to queer and trans identities, cartoonists Mady G and Jules Zuckerberg guide you through the basics of the LGBT+ world! Covering essential topics like sexuality, gender identity, coming out, and navigating relationships, this guide explains the spectrum of human experience through informative comics, interviews, worksheets, and imaginative examples. A great starting point for anyone curious about queer and trans life, and helpful for those already on their own journeys!

And don't miss A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns by Archie Bongiovanni and Tristan Jimerson!

In this quick and easy guide to queer and trans identities, cartoonists Mady...

A Note From the Publisher

This title is distributed by Simon & Schuster and will be available through Ingram, Baker & Taylor, and all other major book distributors. For bulk purchase within the USA and Canada, please contact your Simon & Schuster rep or call 800-223-2336 to get an account set up!

ISBN 9781620105863
PRICE CA$12.99 (CAD)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

<i>A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities</i> by Mady G is a rather clever way to educate those who may be unsure about where they fit themselves in terms of how they feel as well as to educate those around the people of the LGBTQ community. Using snails and a varying array of illustrations from people to a fun little creature called a sproutling to take readers along on a journey to discover more about the people with these identities, this book is chalk full of fun and informative scenes that I think this world really needs.. I would definitely gear this book more toward older kids and adults simply because I don’t see very young children fully understanding everything that this book discusses. Even I still find some of it confusing at times, particularly that which discusses what it means to be asexual, a topic with a wide variety of identifications that can sometimes vary greatly from person to person. Even so, I truly believe that this topic is one that everyone should be exposed to no matter how old. This book was clever, informative, and easy to read. It broached a variety of subjects regarding the LGBTQ community and offered not only information, but support to those who may relate to some of the situations and feelings expressed throughout the course of the book. I was really pleased with how the entire thing was presented and handled and I even learned a few new things along the way, which is always a great thing to experience. All in all, this book is definitely one to be pleased with and I’m really glad I had the opportunity to read it. <i>I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.</i>

A very informative and easy to understand graphic novel on a number of LGBTQ subjects. It would make a good addition to the high school library that I work at once it's published.

This book was adorable and super informative! I loved the characters and the diagrams and the color schemes throughout the book. The way this book answered questions I know many people who are both trans, cis and queer have or have had before is thoughtful, respectful, and easily understood. This book even talks about navigating relationships which was wonderful!! I loved the cute pages at the end after the outro as well, making this whole book feel lighthearted and fun even though it talks about and explains topics that some people may not be very familiar with.

This is a simple and non-judgmental look at Queer and Trans identities. I loved the easily understood term definitions, healthy relationship advice, coming out advice, and straightforward talk about depression and dysphoria. . there is a great deal to learn within this non-threatening format using cartoons and characters. This book is great for everyone, literally, youth, parents, friends, educators, family members etc. etc. etc This book is great for those who don't know anything about queer or trans identifies and equally good for those who believe they know lots about these topics. There is sooo much in this little book. 'There's no right or wrong way to be gay, straight, male, female, of whatever you are."" "You cannot control anybody's reactions, but you can control how you confront those reactions." "Keep your head held high, understand that there is nothing 'wrong' with you and that you deserve love and respect, no matter the outcome of this "'Big Reveal'

I can't wait to get this on the shelves at my library to see what our teens think about it. I enjoyed that the book was narrated by snails, but at the same time completely understand other reviewers' complaints that trans and other queer identities are already so under-presented in fiction and nonfiction that it feels like a slight to not have them tell their own stories.

5 ⭐️ An excellent guide to sexual and gender orientations. The pictures were cute and the snails were a nice touch, as were the Sproutlings. The chapters looked a bit like they jumped from one subject to another. I think all the sexual orientation bits should have been after the gender orientation ones, so as to flow better into the asexual and relationship chapters. I also believe a bit more depth (such as an entire chapter) on romantic orientation would have been welcome. The book in itself is not exactly and introduction. You have to already be aware of some of the terms that come with the LGBT+ world to completely understand this work. Also, the use of LGBTQ is exclusive to people who don't identify with the first 4 letters and don't accept the word "queer" to describe themselves. I believe a constant use of LGBT+ or LGBTQ+ (such as used in the outro) would have been better. It's a little gem in itself and the activities at the end make this book a keeper, especially for teenagers and young people in general who might be coming to terms with who they are. And a good way to educate people in general as to what is LGBT+

Thought-provoking, colourful, and educational, the latest graphic novel from Mady G and J.R. Zuckerberg is a great introduction to the wide world of queer and trans identities. Covering a broad range of subjects from gender identity and self-love, to coming out and red flags in relationships, Mady and J.R's graphic novel guide provides a great starting point for discussions with loved ones, basic information for those who want to discover more or who are at the start of their own journey to self-discovery. While some more complex terms are mentioned, A Quick & Easy Guide To Queer & Trans Identities is straight-forward yet engaging. Suitable for tweens, teens, and adults, it raises some interesting discussion points and topics that will have readers feeling both more prepared when talking about certain subjects, as well as inspiring them to find out more. The art style if quirky, bright, and frankly just awesome. Personally, I am a huge fan of the first book in this series from Limerence Press (A Quick & Easy Guide To They/Them Pronouns) and this latest installation feels just as much of a must-read as the last. I really can't recommend this one enough for readers themselves (particularly tweens, young adults, and adults) of any gender or sexual identity (many of which are covered within this book).

"The world is home to such a vibrant rainbow of people, so why not genders." This is filled with wonderful, informative and easy to digest information. I did think it was geared more to teens/adults and younger people may need help reading and understanding all the details discussed. That's not necessarily a bad thing since it would hopefully spark conversation/questions. They really touched on a bit of everything, including signs of toxic relationships. This is something I think all people should be made more aware of in order to spot and escape these kinds of harmful dependencies. This is especially true for anyone still coming to terms with their own identity who may not feel brave enough to speak up and/or draw attention to themselves.