There's Something about Sweetie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 May 2019

Oh Sweetie. What a lady. She owned every aspect of herself, even when the world was trying to criticize her. This book was sweet, and funny, and Ashish and Sweetie were adorable. But on top of that, it had such an important message about loving yourself and defining your own identity.

(Also the Patel parents are the cutest little meddlers in the whole world)
I am SOOOOO regretful it took me forever to get back to this because every single time I read one of Sandhya's books, I am filled with happiness and fall in love with the idea of falling in love all over again. I love how unabashedly INDIAN her characters are. I love how strong Sweetie is, regardless of the negativity the world seems to want to fill her head with (although she has the smallest amout of self-doubt). I love how much Ashish falls in love with Sweetie at first sight. I love how positive this book is. I love that this book is When Dimple Met Rishi #2. I love the romance. I love the friendships. I love the side characters.

TLDR? Just read this book and be happy
I absolutely loved this book and the characters in this book.  I couldn't stop reading and had to know how things worked out.  I love that both characters are trying to meet their parents' expectations, but also trying to find their own way.  Ashish is so sweet and Sweetie was such a strong character who believed the best about herself!  I can't wait to recommend this book to my students!
This book was adorable in every way, constantly putting a smile on my face. The characters were incredible and entertaining. Love all her books!
I'm so in love with this series. It's the perfect summer read. I had to feature Sandhya in my feature on The Young Folks about Summer Reads: https://www.theyoungfolks.com/books/135343/what-makes-a-perfect-summer-read/
Sweetie is out to prove her mom wrong: she is happy, she is strong, she is worthy of love and romance, and fat is just /one/ adjective that describes her. Ashish, recently-ish dumped, is out to get his swag and mojo back; that's why he actually agrees to let his parents set him up with an Indian girl. When their initial dating plan doesn't come to fruition, Sweetie and Ashish are forced to date according to Ashish's parents' rules: parental-approved dates at the temple, Hindu festival, and with *eccentric* family members. Ashish rolls his eyes and protests, but the dates go a lot better than he anticipated.... Sweetie's plan to prove to herself, the world, and --most importantly-- her mom that she is more than he weight seems to be going according to plan, but Amma is super stubborn. Will she ever be able to accept Sweetie for who she is: awesome singer, track star, loving daughter, and fat...

I knew going into Sweetie that Sandhya Menon is a wonderful writer of the Indian-American culture + rom-com. But she really has outdone herself with Sweetie! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but it might even be BETTER than When Dimple Met Rishi! Menon continues to masterfully keep the rom-com fresh and refuses to fall for the over-worn high school romance tropes.

Diverse reads:
1) Sweetie and Ashish are second-generation Indian immigrants.
2) Ashish's friends Oliver and Elijah are in a m/m relationship.
I absolutely adore Sandhya Menon's debut novel, When Dimple Met Rishi, but I have been curious to see what the author did which Rishi's brother, Ashish's story. I am happy to report that I love his story even more. There's Something About Sweetie is a contemporary romance that is full of heart while also tackling fat shaming, identity, privilege, and self confidence.

Ashish Patel is the rich and handsome basketball star of Richmond Academy. Bummed after being dumped by his college girlfriend and his self confidence taken a big beating, he challenges his parents out of a moment of weakness to make good on their constant threat to find him a suitable Indian American girl to date. Their choice is Sweetie Nair, Piedmont High’s track star. When Ashish’s mother proposes the match, Sweetie’s mother adamantly insists that their children are not compatible. The Patels are extremely affluent, but the main reason Mrs. Nair refuses is because Sweetie is fat and is trying to protect her daughter from social humiliation.

Sweetie embraces her body and does not feel ashamed about it. Her weight is always the focus of her mother's concerns whether it is Sweetie's diet or her lack of drive just to "lose some weight". Overhearing her mother's refusal to Mrs. Patel hurts Sweetie deeply and sparks her to start the "Sassy Sweetie Project" in which she will overturn all her insecurities into strengths. The Sassy Sweetie Project is my favorite part of this story. It upends the makeover trope which often seen in teen movies of the geeky girl being hot under her frumpy clothes. This project is personal for Sweetie and it shapes her character arc really well and strongly. She becomes assertive and takes matters into her own hands to live her best life even if it means agreeing to the Patels’ four-date contract without telling her parents.

Ashish and Sweetie accept the arrangement, each feeling they have something to prove to themselves. For Ashish the relationship is his way to bounce back to the person he use to be and for Sweetie is an empowering move to prove to herself that she is desirable and deserves love. Both characters have vulnerabilities and wonder if this arranged match will work, and not knowing what will happen when Sweetie’s parents find out. Ashish and Sweetie share narrative duties, and both are flanked by supportive friends and caring parents—even if their approaches to love is flawed and can be painful at times. It is a pleasure to watch Ashish and Sweetie fall for each other in the quiet moments and allowing them the space and pace to make decisions, succeed or fail, learn, and blossom. I know some reviewers have see Sweetie as someone who is magically perfect, but I disagree. She waivers in her self confidence which felt real and her perseverance to fight is really admirable. Kudos to the author on creating a fat character who is not ashamed of her body nor focused on physical descriptions.
New favorite. Hands down. Thumbs up. I love it too much for words. I literally cried with Sweetie. I want this as a movie. I want this & so many more like it for the next gens so they don't have to wait til 30 to experience this feeling.

>Feel so absolutely seen and loved with Sweetie and this narrative.
>I wasn’t a fan of Ashish before but he won me over.
>Girl gang
>Fundraising
>Rock band friends
>Examines lots of common fatphobia displays & how others make us think so much about being fat in this world.
>Understandable mistakes and misunderstandings that get cleared up
>Love the character progression with Ashish & his friends & homeschooled cousin. Is this cousin next in line for a sequel?
>Gives closure with Celia
>Mother & daughter heart to heart
>Father learning to stand up for daughter
>Ashish parent’s are amazing.
>I want more of Sweetie & more plus sized heroines from Menon!
Despite all of Sandhya Menon’s books sounding very appealing to me, I’ve realized her writing just isn’t for me. If I was in high school I feel like I would have loved her books. They are all cheesy and full of teenage melodrama. However, now that I’m older I can’t help but roll my eyes at it all.

When starting this novel, I thought I would have a different reaction. I liked the characters and they didn’t seem as cookie cutter as the characters in previous books. Nevertheless, that was soon debunked the farther I read. It isn’t that the characters are bad, they are just very wishy-washy. One sentence they say something with intent and then a paragraph later their mind is completely flipped on the spot. Throughout the whole novel that never changed either. They were having internal struggles over the most mundane topics and no one was made better in the end for them.

Additionally, Menon’s writing very much tells you what is happening and doesn’t show it. It’s a lot of reading about what they do, but not experiencing it. And when you do experience a scene she throws in comments that you might here in a middle schooler’s mind (ie: “duh”). It takes you out of the story and makes me feel like I am reading something read for a much younger audience. And even then, even though her novels attempt to tackle subjects like diversity, weight, etc - I’m not sure I’d even hand this book to younger people in my life if only because I don’t believe they would gain anything from it aside from a way to judge people and feel self centered / entitled.

Overall, this obviously was not the book for me. Because I didn’t enjoy it I took forever to finish it. Even so, about half way through I decided I was over the book and just sped my way to the end to complete it and solidify my opinions.
I adored this sweet, spunky coming-of-age YA romance featuring two Indian-American teens. The titular Sweetie was everything I didn't realize I was waiting for in a romance heroine... she's a fat athlete and she's loving, respectful, and courageous. She loves and respect her parents but is stung by her mother's attitude towards her fatness. She had good friends, good grades, and excels in her sport, but her mom only sees her weight. Sweetie's journey isn't focused on anger and frustration as much as finding what she needs and standing up for herself.
I had previously read When Dimple Met Rishi, so I was familiar with the male lead already, but I enjoyed this window into his thoughts.

All in all, this book was utterly charming and fun!
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
I was really looking forward to this book when I found out about it because I loved Ashish in When Dimple Met Rishi. I may have liked him a little less being in his brain, but definitely not enough to make me dislike or hate him. Sweetie is definitely a new favorite YA girl. The way she carries herself is beyond amazing and I think the fat rep is insanely important. The cast of characters was once again so wonderful and I am so excited for Pinky's book (which I just found out about moments ago). I also once again appreciate the perspective into Indian culture. I think the visit to Ashish's rich Auntie with the pet room was probably my favorite part of the whole book. So cute.
Sweetie is a kick-ass athlete whose mom constantly wants her to lose weight, even though she 's happy the way she is. Ashish is brokenhearted after the only girl he's ever truly cared about cheated on him. Once the two of them meet, unexpected sparks fly.

Um. Wow.

Woooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

This book has its flaws--most notably teenagers jumping into saying "I love you" way too quickly, which is deeply irritating to me and the reason this book is 4 stars--but other than that. Woooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

Sandhya Menon has once again crafted realistic and heartwarming teenage characters. I loved seeing them interact with each other, while hating it when they were hurt. Sweetie and Ashish both dealt with some real issues, and it hurt me to see them hurt. I think that the way Menon depicted the people who care about Sweetie the most, especially her mother, as the ones who make her feel the worst about her weight and her body, is an unfortunately true experience across cultures. amd it was done very well. Ashish's first heartbreak and his healing from that was also wonderful to read about as he got support from family and friends.

This is a mostly a fun, lighthearted contemporary. I liked seeing little cameos from Dimple and Rishi, and it was overall wonderful to be in their little world again!
Like Sandhya Menon's other books, There's Something About Sweetie is an adorable, sticky-sweet rom-com that teen readers will adore. Sweetie is a relatable teen dealing with growing up while surrounded by nosy family and supportive friends.

I love that this novel begins with Sweetie already loving her fat body. Her mother is still on a journey to fat acceptance but Sweetie remains body-positive. Sweetie is a track star, a good student, and loves signing but all her mom can see is that she's fat. Sweetie is determined to help her mom see that being fat isn't a bad thing. She also wants to take risks and prove to herself that she is bold and sassy. Sweetie does have some naysayers in her life but she always makes sure that her cheerleaders are louder. She makes sure to find support when she needs it.

Ashish is just as charming as his older brother (Rishi from Menon's When Dimple Met Rishi) and readers will be so happy to see some returning characters from the previous books. Ashish has a big group of friends who just want the best for him. He always tries to include everyone and it's easy to see why Sweetie instantly connects to him.

This YA novel is great for tweens, teens, and older readers looking for a rom-com with a fat heroine.
There is Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon is a YA book about two people who were matched by their parents - kind of.  It is the second book in the series called Dimple and Rishi #2 but can be read as a stand alone. The story is about two Indian - American young adults and their relationship.

Sweetie’s mother did not want Sweetie matched, she thought that nobody would date her daughter as she was too fat.  Ashish’s mother did not see the problem and stated so. Luckily, Sweetie took matters in her own hands and contact Ashish herself.  From there the story takes off.

There is Something About Sweetie was an interesting book.  I learned more about the Indian - American culture as well as met two interesting main characters.  I enjoyed reading There is Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon.
I absolutely devoured THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE! I loved WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI and was so excited to read a companion novel about Rishi’s brother, Ashish (and yes, Rishi does make a small cameo). To be honest, I couldn’t quite remember what happened to Ashish in WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI so I was a little bit lost at the start when his ex-girlfriend was mentioned, but it was an absolutely lovely read and Sweetie is a match made in heaven for Ashish.

I was a bit worried with this book because I wasn’t in love with Sandhya Menon’s second book, From Twinkle, With Love. It was cute but read a little bit junior for me, so I wasn’t sure if I would love There’s Something About Sweetie. Sweetie definitely does read a little bit junior (and high-school-aged Jenna would’ve absolutely reread it to pieces) but I honestly didn’t really mind. I found the plot to be compelling, the characters to be relatable and the romance to be an absolute swoon-fest. THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE follows Sweetie Nair who is a champion sprinter but is carrying a little bit of weight, and Ashish, the star basketballer and younger son to the super rich Patel family. After being in a bit of a rut, Ashish agrees to let his parents matchmake him with another Indian girl – none other than Sweetie. Although Sweetie is interested, her mother is ashamed of Sweetie’s body and firmly objects the match. Sweetie and Ashish decide to date in secret so that Sweetie can experience what it’s like to do something that makes her feel truly confident and in charge of her life. Meanwhile, Ashish is interested in kicking the bad habit that is his ex. Sweetie and Ashish soon develop feelings for each other, but is it too late to reveal the truth to Sweetie’s parents?

I really connected with the plot of the book. While I haven’t experienced anything like it in my own life, I really related to Sweetie’s deference to her mother and her strong spirit. The book was an absolute page-turner and I just couldn’t get enough of Sweetie and Ashish’s dates and the cute story of two ordinary people who just want a relationship. And my gosh, their relationship was cute! I love that Menon writes these wonderful male characters who aren’t jerks and are just genuinely nice, and Ashish definitely fits into that category. He treated Sweetie so well throughout the book and I just loved him in the last few chapters of the book. Likewise, I also really loved Sweetie. She was proud and confident of her body and I enjoyed her Sassy Sweetie Project a lot. I loved that she stood up to her mother in her own way but never truly defied her.

Family is an important theme in this book and I loved the message that, while some parents may be strict, they really just want the best for their children. I also enjoyed the message that no matter how cool and independent you are, you sometimes do need your parents – and they’ve always got your back.

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE lives up to its title. It’s a sweet story about two people who are finding themselves and, in the process, find each other. I loved the characters, their relationships and all of the family elements in this book. I’m looking forward to Sandhya Menon’s next book and I hope it’s just as sweet.

Rating: 4 out of 5
This is a fabulous follow up to When Dimple Met Rishi with both favorite characters from the first book and a whole new cast we're introduced to. It was great to hear from Ashish's perspective and to see a different view of the Patel family dynamics. I enjoyed seeing Sweetie transformation from someone who internally dealt with the lies her mother told her about her body to a kick-ass girl who didn't care what others thought about her size.  The supporting cast of characters were fantastic, I loved meeting Ashish and Sweetie's friends and would love to see even more books expounding on them.  She proves that just because you're not a size 2 doesn't mean you can't be an athlete and find love. Sandhya Menon is a truly gifted writer and I love being able to get glimpses into Hindi culture.
I loved Sweetie! Sandhya Menon manages to create another character that is imperfect, but still immensely lovable with Sweetie, a fat and incredibly talented athlete. Because yes, you can be both things. When an attractive boy finally lets his parents set him up, they have their eyes set on Sweetie. He's into her, his parents are into her, but Sweetie's mother says no because she can't imagine anyone loving Sweetie at her current size.

So Sweetie sets out to prove that she is lovable and strong and sassy. Except she's going to have to do it behind her mom's back.
Sandhya Menon delivers yet another amazing romcom with this book. I was rooting for Sweetie and the success of her Sassy Sweetie Project from the very beginning. She is a shining star for fat representation, and I'm so thrilled that this book exists for fat brown girls to see themselves and the happiness they deserve in it. Ashish was also a sweetheart and a relatably awkward teen despite his supposed cocky appearance, and I ended up loving his character and rooting for his happiness as well.
There's Something About Sweetie is one of the cutest books I've ever read and I wish that I'd had it when I was a teenager. Sweetie is such a strong girl who knows what she wants but also feels cowed by her mother's insistence that the natural shape of her body is a bad thing. While I don't applaud Sweetie for going behind her mother's back in dating Ashish, I can definitely respect how she went about it.  The writing was beautiful and the characters were extremely relatable. Menon's side characters were a treat that I wasn't expecting and I really appreciated the diversity, not just in race, but also in gender and sexuality. This was my first Sandhya Menon book and I honestly can't wait to read more by her aftr reading this!
This was such a fun summery contemporary read! After reading Sandhya’s first book I was really excited to hear she was writing more about Sweetie and Ashish! This book did not disappoint.