There's Something about Sweetie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 May 2019

Like all of Sandhya Menon's books, this was an absolute delight. It was a sweet contemporary YA romance with a fat main character. I loved that this book was body positive and had a fat character who was also an athlete. Sweetie deals with body criticism from her mother and I loved seeing her get a hot boyfriend to show her mom how wrong she is! Fans of Dimple & Rishi will love seeing some familiar characters, but readers new to this series can also dive right in with this novel. This might be my favorite of Sandhya's books yet!
Heartwarming, incredibly funny and witty.

This book kept me warm and gave me all the "feel good" emotions.

Sandhya Menon just has a way with words and her books really touch you and leave you with a lingering sense long after its done.

This was the same with TSAS. I love how Menon challenged strereotypes and broke doen barriers with this book. The converstaion on body types and fatphobia was incredible and super important.

The romance was hecka funny and the characters were fleshed out and super realistic. It was great to see other chatacters who are familiar to the when dimple met rishi universe.

All in all this was a fantastic ya read with humor and a whole lot of heart.
This was a super cute story. Very fast to get through. I haven't read the other books from this author, but I would like to get to it soon!

The writing was fun but the characters were my favorite part! I highly recommend this one.
I have been trying to come up with a way to review this book for a while now and I just can't find the words. It was so adorable and so heartfelt that I think I loved it even more than When Dimple Met Rishi and I loved that book a lot. Sweetie and Ashish have an undeniable chemistry and they just clicked so well with one another there was no other option but to fall in love with them. And Sweetie relationship with her mother was a perfect drama for this story. After not loving and not finishing From Twinkle, With Love, I needed this book by Menon to be amazing and it was!
Each book of Sandhya Menon's keeps on getting better. She is now one of my go-to authors for excellent YA contemporary fiction. This book is best read after When Dimple Met Rishi, which is also excellent, but it can also be read as a standalone. I will do the best I can to express my love and appreciation for this life affirming book.
Sweetie Nair is a beautiful, smart track star. The only problem is that she is "fat." People frequently make fun of her in a snarky way, and her mother constantly pressures her to lose weight. When Ashish Patel, a handsome young athlete who wants to date again after a difficult breakup with his ex girlfriend Celia, is matched with Sweetie by his parents, she can't believe it. Though her mother forbids her to date Ashish because of her weight, Sweetie and Ashish decide to date anyway, with the Patels' approval. Can Sweetie convince herself and her mother that she is worthy of love even though she is overweight?
This book touched me in such a deep way. I was, and still am, one of the"fat girls." I was made fun of, rejected, and made to feel small and worthless by people who either didn't care how they made me feel or did it on purpose to be cruel. But that is only because I let them. Each person has worth and value, no matter how they look on the outside, and I love how Sweetie's story supports this truth. If only there were more guys like Ashish, who saw Sweetie's beauty shine from the inside outwards. I love how Sweetie took control of the way she felt and did things to affirm her beauty instead of succumbing to her own negative self-talk as well as others.' The writing was descriptive and realistic, as well as funny and emotional. I don't personally agree with some of the views and lifestyles of the characters, and I didn't like the profanity, but other than that I wholeheartedly recommend this book. Everyone who has ever felt like this or knows someone who struggles with this area should read this book. I am eagerly anticipating the author's next book!
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley, and I also purchased the hardcover from Amazon. A positive review was not required, and all opinions expressed are entirely my own.
I love love love the diversity in this book. It isn't your typical romance and I love that even more. It is so colorful, diverse, heartwarming, and honest. I love the main character Sweetie. She is one of the best characters I've read in a long time and she is so well developed. She can do so many things; sing, run, stand strong, is intelligent, witty, a people person, and a great observer. I love that she can accept who she is for who she is.
Ashish, our hero, feels a bit overlooked to start out this book. Yet, when he meets Sweetie his world is turned upside down. Ashish is a sweet kid who is being set up by his mother. Who else would his mother set him up with besides Sweetie? However, Sweetie's mom isn't quick to jump on board with this matchmaking; thinking her daughter isn't good enough. Ugh! Mothers. That isn't going to stop Sweetie though. She goes behind her mom's back and meets up with him anyways.
This is where the culture diversity of parents blessings come into play with lessons on Indian culture. Which are fascinating to me. Everything that unfolds is just perfect. I can't wait to see what comes in next!
Oh Sweetie. What a lady. She owned every aspect of herself, even when the world was trying to criticize her. This book was sweet, and funny, and Ashish and Sweetie were adorable. But on top of that, it had such an important message about loving yourself and defining your own identity.

(Also the Patel parents are the cutest little meddlers in the whole world)
I am SOOOOO regretful it took me forever to get back to this because every single time I read one of Sandhya's books, I am filled with happiness and fall in love with the idea of falling in love all over again. I love how unabashedly INDIAN her characters are. I love how strong Sweetie is, regardless of the negativity the world seems to want to fill her head with (although she has the smallest amout of self-doubt). I love how much Ashish falls in love with Sweetie at first sight. I love how positive this book is. I love that this book is When Dimple Met Rishi #2. I love the romance. I love the friendships. I love the side characters.

TLDR? Just read this book and be happy
I absolutely loved this book and the characters in this book.  I couldn't stop reading and had to know how things worked out.  I love that both characters are trying to meet their parents' expectations, but also trying to find their own way.  Ashish is so sweet and Sweetie was such a strong character who believed the best about herself!  I can't wait to recommend this book to my students!
This book was adorable in every way, constantly putting a smile on my face. The characters were incredible and entertaining. Love all her books!
I'm so in love with this series. It's the perfect summer read. I had to feature Sandhya in my feature on The Young Folks about Summer Reads: https://www.theyoungfolks.com/books/135343/what-makes-a-perfect-summer-read/
Sweetie is out to prove her mom wrong: she is happy, she is strong, she is worthy of love and romance, and fat is just /one/ adjective that describes her. Ashish, recently-ish dumped, is out to get his swag and mojo back; that's why he actually agrees to let his parents set him up with an Indian girl. When their initial dating plan doesn't come to fruition, Sweetie and Ashish are forced to date according to Ashish's parents' rules: parental-approved dates at the temple, Hindu festival, and with *eccentric* family members. Ashish rolls his eyes and protests, but the dates go a lot better than he anticipated.... Sweetie's plan to prove to herself, the world, and --most importantly-- her mom that she is more than he weight seems to be going according to plan, but Amma is super stubborn. Will she ever be able to accept Sweetie for who she is: awesome singer, track star, loving daughter, and fat...

I knew going into Sweetie that Sandhya Menon is a wonderful writer of the Indian-American culture + rom-com. But she really has outdone herself with Sweetie! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but it might even be BETTER than When Dimple Met Rishi! Menon continues to masterfully keep the rom-com fresh and refuses to fall for the over-worn high school romance tropes.

Diverse reads:
1) Sweetie and Ashish are second-generation Indian immigrants.
2) Ashish's friends Oliver and Elijah are in a m/m relationship.
I absolutely adore Sandhya Menon's debut novel, When Dimple Met Rishi, but I have been curious to see what the author did which Rishi's brother, Ashish's story. I am happy to report that I love his story even more. There's Something About Sweetie is a contemporary romance that is full of heart while also tackling fat shaming, identity, privilege, and self confidence.

Ashish Patel is the rich and handsome basketball star of Richmond Academy. Bummed after being dumped by his college girlfriend and his self confidence taken a big beating, he challenges his parents out of a moment of weakness to make good on their constant threat to find him a suitable Indian American girl to date. Their choice is Sweetie Nair, Piedmont High’s track star. When Ashish’s mother proposes the match, Sweetie’s mother adamantly insists that their children are not compatible. The Patels are extremely affluent, but the main reason Mrs. Nair refuses is because Sweetie is fat and is trying to protect her daughter from social humiliation.

Sweetie embraces her body and does not feel ashamed about it. Her weight is always the focus of her mother's concerns whether it is Sweetie's diet or her lack of drive just to "lose some weight". Overhearing her mother's refusal to Mrs. Patel hurts Sweetie deeply and sparks her to start the "Sassy Sweetie Project" in which she will overturn all her insecurities into strengths. The Sassy Sweetie Project is my favorite part of this story. It upends the makeover trope which often seen in teen movies of the geeky girl being hot under her frumpy clothes. This project is personal for Sweetie and it shapes her character arc really well and strongly. She becomes assertive and takes matters into her own hands to live her best life even if it means agreeing to the Patels’ four-date contract without telling her parents.

Ashish and Sweetie accept the arrangement, each feeling they have something to prove to themselves. For Ashish the relationship is his way to bounce back to the person he use to be and for Sweetie is an empowering move to prove to herself that she is desirable and deserves love. Both characters have vulnerabilities and wonder if this arranged match will work, and not knowing what will happen when Sweetie’s parents find out. Ashish and Sweetie share narrative duties, and both are flanked by supportive friends and caring parents—even if their approaches to love is flawed and can be painful at times. It is a pleasure to watch Ashish and Sweetie fall for each other in the quiet moments and allowing them the space and pace to make decisions, succeed or fail, learn, and blossom. I know some reviewers have see Sweetie as someone who is magically perfect, but I disagree. She waivers in her self confidence which felt real and her perseverance to fight is really admirable. Kudos to the author on creating a fat character who is not ashamed of her body nor focused on physical descriptions.
New favorite. Hands down. Thumbs up. I love it too much for words. I literally cried with Sweetie. I want this as a movie. I want this & so many more like it for the next gens so they don't have to wait til 30 to experience this feeling.

>Feel so absolutely seen and loved with Sweetie and this narrative.
>I wasn’t a fan of Ashish before but he won me over.
>Girl gang
>Fundraising
>Rock band friends
>Examines lots of common fatphobia displays & how others make us think so much about being fat in this world.
>Understandable mistakes and misunderstandings that get cleared up
>Love the character progression with Ashish & his friends & homeschooled cousin. Is this cousin next in line for a sequel?
>Gives closure with Celia
>Mother & daughter heart to heart
>Father learning to stand up for daughter
>Ashish parent’s are amazing.
>I want more of Sweetie & more plus sized heroines from Menon!
Despite all of Sandhya Menon’s books sounding very appealing to me, I’ve realized her writing just isn’t for me. If I was in high school I feel like I would have loved her books. They are all cheesy and full of teenage melodrama. However, now that I’m older I can’t help but roll my eyes at it all.

When starting this novel, I thought I would have a different reaction. I liked the characters and they didn’t seem as cookie cutter as the characters in previous books. Nevertheless, that was soon debunked the farther I read. It isn’t that the characters are bad, they are just very wishy-washy. One sentence they say something with intent and then a paragraph later their mind is completely flipped on the spot. Throughout the whole novel that never changed either. They were having internal struggles over the most mundane topics and no one was made better in the end for them.

Additionally, Menon’s writing very much tells you what is happening and doesn’t show it. It’s a lot of reading about what they do, but not experiencing it. And when you do experience a scene she throws in comments that you might here in a middle schooler’s mind (ie: “duh”). It takes you out of the story and makes me feel like I am reading something read for a much younger audience. And even then, even though her novels attempt to tackle subjects like diversity, weight, etc - I’m not sure I’d even hand this book to younger people in my life if only because I don’t believe they would gain anything from it aside from a way to judge people and feel self centered / entitled.

Overall, this obviously was not the book for me. Because I didn’t enjoy it I took forever to finish it. Even so, about half way through I decided I was over the book and just sped my way to the end to complete it and solidify my opinions.
I adored this sweet, spunky coming-of-age YA romance featuring two Indian-American teens. The titular Sweetie was everything I didn't realize I was waiting for in a romance heroine... she's a fat athlete and she's loving, respectful, and courageous. She loves and respect her parents but is stung by her mother's attitude towards her fatness. She had good friends, good grades, and excels in her sport, but her mom only sees her weight. Sweetie's journey isn't focused on anger and frustration as much as finding what she needs and standing up for herself.
I had previously read When Dimple Met Rishi, so I was familiar with the male lead already, but I enjoyed this window into his thoughts.

All in all, this book was utterly charming and fun!
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
I was really looking forward to this book when I found out about it because I loved Ashish in When Dimple Met Rishi. I may have liked him a little less being in his brain, but definitely not enough to make me dislike or hate him. Sweetie is definitely a new favorite YA girl. The way she carries herself is beyond amazing and I think the fat rep is insanely important. The cast of characters was once again so wonderful and I am so excited for Pinky's book (which I just found out about moments ago). I also once again appreciate the perspective into Indian culture. I think the visit to Ashish's rich Auntie with the pet room was probably my favorite part of the whole book. So cute.
Sweetie is a kick-ass athlete whose mom constantly wants her to lose weight, even though she 's happy the way she is. Ashish is brokenhearted after the only girl he's ever truly cared about cheated on him. Once the two of them meet, unexpected sparks fly.

Um. Wow.

Woooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

This book has its flaws--most notably teenagers jumping into saying "I love you" way too quickly, which is deeply irritating to me and the reason this book is 4 stars--but other than that. Woooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

Sandhya Menon has once again crafted realistic and heartwarming teenage characters. I loved seeing them interact with each other, while hating it when they were hurt. Sweetie and Ashish both dealt with some real issues, and it hurt me to see them hurt. I think that the way Menon depicted the people who care about Sweetie the most, especially her mother, as the ones who make her feel the worst about her weight and her body, is an unfortunately true experience across cultures. amd it was done very well. Ashish's first heartbreak and his healing from that was also wonderful to read about as he got support from family and friends.

This is a mostly a fun, lighthearted contemporary. I liked seeing little cameos from Dimple and Rishi, and it was overall wonderful to be in their little world again!
Like Sandhya Menon's other books, There's Something About Sweetie is an adorable, sticky-sweet rom-com that teen readers will adore. Sweetie is a relatable teen dealing with growing up while surrounded by nosy family and supportive friends.

I love that this novel begins with Sweetie already loving her fat body. Her mother is still on a journey to fat acceptance but Sweetie remains body-positive. Sweetie is a track star, a good student, and loves signing but all her mom can see is that she's fat. Sweetie is determined to help her mom see that being fat isn't a bad thing. She also wants to take risks and prove to herself that she is bold and sassy. Sweetie does have some naysayers in her life but she always makes sure that her cheerleaders are louder. She makes sure to find support when she needs it.

Ashish is just as charming as his older brother (Rishi from Menon's When Dimple Met Rishi) and readers will be so happy to see some returning characters from the previous books. Ashish has a big group of friends who just want the best for him. He always tries to include everyone and it's easy to see why Sweetie instantly connects to him.

This YA novel is great for tweens, teens, and older readers looking for a rom-com with a fat heroine.
There is Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon is a YA book about two people who were matched by their parents - kind of.  It is the second book in the series called Dimple and Rishi #2 but can be read as a stand alone. The story is about two Indian - American young adults and their relationship.

Sweetie’s mother did not want Sweetie matched, she thought that nobody would date her daughter as she was too fat.  Ashish’s mother did not see the problem and stated so. Luckily, Sweetie took matters in her own hands and contact Ashish herself.  From there the story takes off.

There is Something About Sweetie was an interesting book.  I learned more about the Indian - American culture as well as met two interesting main characters.  I enjoyed reading There is Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon.