Cover Image: Dutch Girl

Dutch Girl

A well written, detailed, and informative book about who Audrey Hepburn was before and beyond the camera. Appealing for fans and those who simply enjoy good mid-20th-century biography.
A fascinating biography of the early life and tough  times of Audrey Hepburn. Absorbing and informative.
As the subtitle of this book suggests this book is both about Audrey Hepburn and world war 2.
So while there is certainly a view into hepburns life outside/before her well known acting career, this book is heavily focused in the actual world war aspects and the horrors and fears it brings and leaves behind in the survivors.
It's not an easy read since the author doesn't try to sugar coat the war, which I did appreciate but I also think that in many ways this book isn't really marketed right since yes it does have Hepburn in it, but it's more heavily focused on the war itself and in my option uses Hepburn more as a case study showing how war leaves traces on  a person long after it's over.

Still a good book and definitely worth a read!
Very informative I never knew all this about Audrey. However at time it could feel a  bit dry, which for me isn't uncommon for nonfiction. But if you are an Audrey fan or you're interested in WWII you should definitely pick this one up,
RATING: 3 STARS
2019; GoodKnight Books

I have been watching classic movies since my late teens and have fallen in love with the Golden Era and it's stars. And when I mean classics, I enjoy 1930s to 1940s, when talking movies were still pretty new. But I love the 50 and 60s as well. When it comes to collecting things I am more of a Marilyn Monroe fan, as I just relate more to her as the person she was. Yet, Audrey Hepburn has also intrigued me. I first saw her just as a pretty girl, until I started reading more about her early life. As a history buff, this book was a perfect blending of biography and history. While I enjoyed the book overall, I did find it dry at some points, and also felt like I did not get a real sense of Audrey before she became an actress. I am not sure if that is because there is so little, and this is more fact based than storytelling. If you interested to see how Audrey lived as a child I would recommend giving this one a try!

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
I absolutely loved learning about the early life of one of my favorite actresses. This was a well-researched and fascinating story.
I was provided an e-arc from netgalley to read and review

I unfortunately missed the opportunity to read
It was really interesting, although I think the title is a misnomer. It was more of a biography by proxy. The author gave an account of WWII in Arnhem and Velp (towns where Audrey lived) with special emphasis on Audrey and her extended family. While I came away knowing much more about the Dutch experience, I can't say that I learned much about Audrey as a person.
FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. These are my honest thoughts.

This book was amazing. I learned more about my favorite vintage actress than I ever knew previously. There were moments of levity that lightened the sober tone of the account of Audrey Hepburn’s childhood and teenage years. It’s amazing what people can survive when they band together through tough times. I never imagined how much horror Miss Hepburn had to endure during WWII. My heart breaks for her after the fact. I see now more than ever why she turned down the role of Anne Frank when offered it during the early years of her movie career.

Fans of Audrey Hepburn or researchers of WWII would benefit from reading Dutch Girl. I’ll be purchasing a copy of this one at some point, because I’ll definitely be reading it more than once.

Content: expletives and profanity (light for general market), war violence (mostly handled without gory details)
This book was very interesting and provided some new insights into an actress that I already knew a fair bit about.
First, I had already heard that this was a history, not a biography, so I think that really improved my expectations for this read.  It starts with pre-war family history and details a lot of the dynamics leading up to the war.  I was surprised to hear how Audrey’s mother had initially supported Hitler before seeing the ugly side of his plans for the world.

One of my favorite parts was learning how Audrey coped with the issues of war by dancing even when she was too starved to succeed and by reading.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear that one of her two favorite authors was E. Phillips Oppenheim, since he is also one of mine but is mostly forgotten nowadays.

Thanks to the publisher for a free reading copy.  A favorable review was not required.
Somehow I had completely missed that Audrey Hepburn was Dutch and lived there during the second world war. The recent publication Dutch Girl was about to set that straight.

I've seen some reviewers complain that the book was too much about life in the Netherlands during the second world war and not enough about Audrey herself, but I disagree on that account. Not only did I find that was the most interesting part of the book (being Dutch myself), I also believed the broader context is necessary to understand this part of her life.

However, at some points I had the feeling the story dragged a bit, and it maybe would have been better if  a little bit shorter. But overall an interesting read.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Audrey's Dutch (somehow...), I'm Dutch... there's the reason to pick up this book. Now I'm not really into biographies; they tend to distort history, colored by the author without me being really able to check all the facts. But that's how it is...
From WWII on it covers her life focussing on the impact her early WWII years had on the rest of her life.

It's not mine, it's all too much "Audrey is a goddess who didn't do anything wrong". The writing style is primal; for instance, war scenes are depicted as throwing firecrackers from the sky “Every second the thump, thump, thump of the cannons could be heard.”

I had a feeling Matzen had a story to tell and created a book out of it to gain some pennies.

My advice: don't touch this book!
With a topic so infamous as World War 2, it's difficult to give this a high rating, just because of the content and the emotions that surrounded it. I love Audrey, as many people do, and it was an amazing experience to be able to read about her, and in a time that impacted her life so heavily.
My apologies for not reviewing this book. I was unable to download it before the archive date. I would in the future really like to read it
This is a really well-written book about how the trauma of war can follow a person through their whole life. It doesn't quite crack the mystery of Audrey Hepburn's young life, as she was notoriously tight-lipped about much of her experiences, but it covers more ground than any other book I've read about her. It focuses only on her Hollywood career as it pertains to how the war affected her, it's not about the glamour or the fame; it's about the trauma and the shadow that WWII cast.

I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest, voluntary review.
This very well researched book shows a side of Audrey Hepburn the public never saw.  Far from the glamours life of her later years, Audrey went through some unbelievably hard times during her teenage years.

The book can be rather dry at times with so many facts, but it's an important story and worth persevering.  I always enjoyed Audrey Hepburn as an actress but now I also have immense admiration for her as a person.
I did not finish this book. I found the narrative repitative and uninspiring. I felt Audrey Hepburn was tagged on to boost sales
Very interesting book about Audrey.  Recommend this to anyone looking to learn more about her.  3.5 stars.
The Dutch Girl, I was looking forward to reading this book, however I was not able to get into it. There are many characters in the book and some of the such as Audrey, her mother and a few other members are called different names. It’s enough they change name and to on top of it use their title, their nick name, real name.  It did not make it for a smooth readying. A lot of information. Was interesting, however having some of it told as a story,  then as a researched fact made it choppy reading for me.  I have dragged reading this book and finally came to the conclusion that I would no longer invest time in trying to finish it.