Grace After Henry

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Mar 2019

Grace and Henry have been together for over five years in Dublin, Ireland and feel like their love is powerful and complete. Henry is in-route to meet Grace when he is killed in a freak accident. The world stops for Grace as she tries to continue on with her life in a sad and heart-wrenching manner. Grace moves into the home that the two had planned to buy and she is overcome with grief that hampers her work and sheer existence. She is so consumed with sadness that she imagines she sees Henry everywhere in her daily life. Suddenly one day she is stunned when she has a plumber knocking on her door who looks identical to Henry. Andy actually is Henry's long-lost twin who has come to Dublin to look into his past. Grace must fight the urge to see him as her Henry and to avoid transferring her feelings to Andy. The plot is an emotional landmine that seems able to blow up at every twist and turn of the story. Emotions do run high in this novel of loss and second chances. I gave this quirky, love story four stars for appeal and "couldn't put it down"ness.

Grace After Henry will be available March 12, 2019 from G.P. Putnam's Sons, an imprint of Penguin Group Putnam. An egalley of this book was made available by the publisher in exchange for a honest review.
I enjoyed Grace after Henry.  Its full of emotion.  I could not stop reading until I had finished every word.  The ending was not expected but I liked it very much.
This poignant Irish love story was intriguingly sad, and yet hopeful about the future. I've never read Eithne Shortall before, but I very much enjoyed Grace After Henry.
Grace After Henry puts a worst nightmare on display: ask a loved one to show up somewhere on time and he or she dies in a tragic accident on the way there. Henry was biking to an open house and meeting his long term girlfriend, Grace, when he's hit by the driver of a sugar truck. Grace, along with Henry's parents, grieve in different ways and Shortall covers these emotions flawlessly. As expected, Grace thinks she sees Henry's face all over town -- except she realizes she's not seeing things when the handyman brings a plumber to her new home and she realizes her beloved Henry could pass for the plumber's twin. Readers quickly find out that there could be some truth in that very statement; that Henry wasn't an only child -- he was a twin. Shortall delivers an emotional rollercoaster that will have everyone reading this one quickly to find out what will become of this family.
This was a lovely, poignant story of a lost love and how Grace slowly reconciles to life without Henry.  I found myself really rooting for Andy, Grace's new love interest.  Although the ending wasn't what I expected, it felt true to the characters.  I really enjoyed this book!
Grace loses her beloved partner Henry to a freak accident.  How she overcomes her grief with the help of family, friends, work and Charles Dickens is in this well told story.
This is a beautifully written story about how one woman, Grace, finds grace after her boyfriend Henry dies tragically young.  It is well written, and I could feel each characters feelings throughout the story. Moving on after a loss like this is one of the hardest things we can do, and Grace figures out how  with the help of her parents and friends and the “three wise men “who are also honoring griefs of their own.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I liked how Grace learned to handle herself and move on with her life after the death of Henry. The cast of characters in this book is funny and fun loving and I loved all their antics. This book was hard to put down, and I hope while reading it that you find lots of heart in the characters and find some new heart from them.
Absolutely loved this book, which is set in Dublin.  Grace is anxious to move into her new house with her partner, Henry, when she gets some tragic news.  How Grace moves forward and handles this tragedy is done with tears, laughs and honest emotion.  I loved Grace, the flashbacks to her relationship with Henry, and how she moves forward with her life.  I highly recommend this wonderful story, giving hope where there is sometimes a fear of never coping again.