Cover Image: Pig Wrestling

Pig Wrestling

I like the concept of this book. Let's face it we have all experienced what the author calls 'Pig Wrestling. You come across a problem, you think you know the solution and implement the change. It doesn't work! That's because you've not understood the problem or situation. This book breaks it down into simple terms and allows you to think outside the box, it opens doors to different ways in looking at how you tackle it. A real 'nugget'. Thank you.
I enjoyed this but there were elements of it I found irritating. I’m comfortable with the idea of using a fable/story to get the message across but I found the "young manager" aspect a bit patronising. Sending the young guy round the office building where he works, the friendly barista helps him reshape his thinking and reframe his knee jerk management techniques. There are some good lessons here and this would be useful for a new manager or maybe someone stuck in a rut and struggling to break out.

I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review
A well written book that provides a lot of theory about problem solving and reframing things in a way they call “problem cleaning”. Entertaining narrative..
The message - reframe the issue! We are shown how to look at a problem (firstly, is it a problem?) from a different perspective and the different solution(s) become apparent. What I found most useful was the summary at the end of each chapter which can be easily used as an aide-memoire if/when you feel the need to return to the book to consolidate your first reading of it.
An interesting read put over in a fresh style. Thank you NetGalley and Penquin.
I can see that other reviewers have got a lot of value out of this book, but for whatever reason it just wasn't for me. I liked the idea of framing it as a modern fable in order to put their points across about learning to see problems differently, but for me it felt like a lot of theory without much to help you put the ideas into practice.

I also found the pig analogy in it's entirety quite complicated, and although its quirkiness makes much of it very memorable, I think there might have been a little bit too much going on.

However, I did like the brevity of the book - you can read it in just a couple of hours and, if you're wrestling with a particular problem at the time of reading, I can imagine that it may well be very helpful.
Problem solving can be a very dry subject to explain, and keep the readers interest. So turning the subject into an easily digested set of stories and scenarios seems to be a novel approach. For certain there are some useful concepts here.
I am not a huge fan of the business 'parable' as I feel it was done to death in the eighties and nineties by Ken Blanchard and others. Recently I read Out of the Maze by Spenser Tracy and it really didn't do much new for me. However, I did enjoy Pig Wrestling and found the process of moving around the imaginary pigpen as related to different aspects of problem solving very useful. I also felt the process was well-explained within the story.

I would say that there is not enough information on 'frames' within the story but a little research should clear that up. I think this book is deserving of more attention than it may get - and certainly a follow up users manual. Well done.
Pig Wrestling provides an all-encompassing framework for looking at your problems in a new light and finding a solution to the problem you actually have rather then the one you thought you did. It's engagingly written, vividly easy to remember and immensely practical.
Nicely written book, more an adventure than a normal management preach.  Enjoyable way of absorbing the ideas presented, would recommend to many work colleagues
Free book offered to "live life better" for 2019 - how could I resist?? Self help books are always somewhat useful, even if only to reinforce what you already know :-)
This is a great book full of fresh thinking and new ideas.  It is written with just the right amount information and pitched at a level anyone can understand.  It can been used in business but also in your personal life or other scenarios.  It is particularly relevant to anyone who has been stuck in the same problem or difficult situation for a long time.  The only downside (and this is probably just me !) is that I did not take to the mnemonic used.  It felt as if the brilliant idea had been wrapped in glitzy paper and your first job was to unwrap it again so you could get to the brilliant ideas !  However I am sure this is what will appeal to many people.  It would be very very helpful if you could provide a list of summary steps at the end that were not tied in to the picture.  It just felt as though you have worked really hard to make the mnemonic fit the brief.  But love the ideas and the thinking outside the box.  It would be easy to design a picture or scenario myself that was more suited to my way of thinking, so it really isn't a big problem.  The ideas behind the pig are brilliant.
This was a departure from the book genres I usually read but I'm pleased to say that it was a very enjoyable read. The process and the principles were explained clearly and I was able to read it in one evening. As the authors recomend, it may need another read - at least of the summaries - to recall the steps when faced with a real situation but the images described will help (think about pigs in picture frames, crystal ball, bungee cords, etc!)
Pete Lindsay's and Mark Bawden's Pig Wrestling is an interesting book about how to analyse and resolve problems. You could blast through it in a single sitting (1-2 hours) but it still contains concepts worth taking away (cleaning the problem, for example). I'm not convinced by the Fable approach to self-help books. I first encountered this approach with Eliyahu Goldratt's The Goal - and with that book it seems like the story just added padding, and it does seem the same here. Without the fiction, this could've been either a short essay, or, my preference would be instead of spending the time introducing characters which are all business stereotypes, use that effort to illustrate with examples and case studies. A good non-fiction author doesn't necessarily convert to a good fiction author, the prose just ends up being distracting. Still, enjoyable, so a solid 4 stars.

Book kindly supplied by Netgalley for an honest review.
An interesting and quick read, presenting a fresh framework for tackling tricky problems.
Using the power of story-telling to make the method stick, the book introduces a well thought-out structured approach to addressing intractable situations.
Although I’m not a massive fan of parable-type illustrations usually, I really enjoyed this book. It was well written, nicely light in tone, clear and succinct and much more memorable than your usual management book. And the method can be used for problems anywhere, not just in the office.  I’m looking forward to using the ideas contained in it.
Many thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for a copy in return for a fair and honest review.
I was expecting more fables than a personal development book, which really isn't my cup of tea. Cue lots of yawning, eye rolling, and comments like 'that's common sense', 'that's bloody obvious', 'how clueless is this guy' or 'but what happened to the Hanoi rats?' for the first few chapters.  Turns out, nothing happened to the Hanoi rats. Nothing!

The pig mnemonic seemed a wee bit too complex to be memorable.  However, the fable does grow on you after a while and towards the end I was thinking of how I could apply some of the lessons to my own pig wrestling work situations.
Interesting read that makes you think twice about how you see problems and how we can be blind to solutions.
Sometimes the best things come in small packages. This short book is simple, memorable and profound. After a long bi-vocational career in IT and business transformation and in church leadership, I have used most of the popular techniques for and approaches to problem solving. Yet this book brought something fresh and helpful to me, especially in situations where it is difficult to pin down the problem exactly and describe it succinctly.
This is an easy read but one that will make you think hard about the problems that you are facing and cause you to think in different ways. Any book that makes you do that is worth your time.
I loved the format of this book, as a short fable. So many books on subjects such as this are long, dry and theoretical, making it difficult to engage with the material and apply it to your life. Whilst I read this as a means to helping me at work, I can think of a lot of personal situations I can apply it to. Highly recommend.
Pig Wrestling by Pete Lindsay and Mark Bawden a three-star read that I don’t know how to describe. I picked this up not really knowing much about it and gave it a go It took me a while as I would read it and then get chewed with it, but I couldn’t not see how it ended, its one that some will love, and some will hate. But if it appeals to you give it a go, as you may get something out of it. If you are having trouble figuring out your problems, then you may get some ideas from it.
Excellent business fable. Great thinking/decision-making framework. A pleasant surprise! The only downside is the protagonist that felt a little too clueless to be real. Otherwise - a really worthwhile read.