The Moth Presents Occasional Magic

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Jun 2019

The stories found in this book are inspiring and inspirational. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a lift or to be inspired.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
Fans of The Moth podcast will greatly enjoy this beautiful collection of stories, gathered across several years from Moth events around the world. Each story presents a unique insight into the many facets of the human spirit. The collection is organized around themes of love, family, travel and home. The storytellers come from diverse backgrounds and many of them left me teary-eyed. I recommend this collection to anyone who wishes to laugh, cry, and reconnect with other human hearts.
As expected, this was excellent. If you're a Moth fan (I like the show, but don't love it -- and even if you've never heard of the show -- this book is a guaranteed win. Funny, sad, scary, etc... It's probably obvious that reading these is different than hearing them (the audio versions are better), but they were obviously carefully selected and certainly work on paper. As a reviewer of another book wrote (which made me chuckle), this book "made me feel all the feels." I haven't read the other Moth books (yet), but I will, and quickly. Highly recommended.

I received a free advanced copy in exchange for a review. The ebook TOC is largely missing/incomplete, but I suspect will be corrected in the final version.
Book Review: The Moth Presents Occasional Magic: True Stories About Defying the Impossible
Edited by Catherine Burns
Publisher: Crown Publishing/Crown Archetypes
Publication Date: March 19, 2019
Review Date: December 13, 2018

This is the second Moth book of stories edited by Catherine Burns. The first book is titled: The Moth Presents All These Wonders: True Stories About Facing the Unknown.

There is nothing like these Moth stories. These are true stories created by a wide gamut of people, from all ages and from every walk of life. They are meant to be spoken orally on stage at Moth events. The books are collections of the stories spoken by their creators, as told at Moth events over the years.

The stories are beautiful, heartbreaking, moving,  funny, and wonderous. They each have been told from the heart by the people, about true events in their lives.

This is an absolutely extraordinary collection of stories. Stories in the oral storytelling tradition. They are not and cannot be judged in the same way as a book of written stories.

I highly, highly recommend reading this book. It made me want to become a Moth storyteller, to give an idea of how affected I was by reading the stories.

Please, do read this book, and savor how all these people have shared a pivotal moment in their lives.

This review has been written several months prior to the book’s publication. The review will be posted on NetGalley now, and I will post the review on Amazon, Goodreads and Instagram closer to publication date.

#TheMothPresentsOccasionalMagic #NetGalley
The Moth Present Occasional Magic edited by Catherine Burns is a phenomenal collections of stories.  The arrangement of the stories keeps the reader engaged, each piece is beautifully written about a variety of topics.  Readers will feel a range of emotions as you work your way through the collection of stories as the storytellers draw the reader in.  I highly recommend this collection, check it out.

#TheMothPresentsOccasionalMagic  #NetGalley
I love The Moth and was excited to see they have a new book nearing publication.  I read through this in a matter of days and found each story to be inspiring, thoughtful, and well-presented.  It will definitely become part of my library's collection upon publication.