The Girl in the Corner

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Jan 2019

This is a skilfully written domestic drama revolving around Rae, the girl in the corner who's lived her life around other's opinions and desires.

My only criticism of the book is that Rae sounds more like she's in her sixties from the way she speaks than someone my age, I which made it harder for me to connect with her. Still, that doesn't much detract from this bittersweet tale of self discovery which shows it's never too late to redefine yourself away from other's expectations.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC without obligation.
This book was a nice surprise. I was expecting light and fluffy and was greeted with complex emotions and strong female characters. Rae-Valentine is one of the most lovable main characters I've encountered in a while. She is humble, kind, selfless and full of life. Her reaction to adversity and betrayal was entirely relatable and inspiring. I can't believe this is my first Amanda Prowse novel--I'm obviously late to the party! Looking forward to reading more of her books!!
Another fantastic read from Amanda Prowse. Fantastic characters and such an easy way with words. Always look forward to Amanda's next release
Loved this book.  The characters were well written and larger than life.  I really bought into the characters and storyline - this could easily happen to anyone and I feel the story was well portrayed.
For Any Woman Who Has Ever Felt Less than Worthy

I never take much convincing when it comes to reading an Amanda Prowse novel. I have loved her work for many years now and enjoy delving back into her worlds like I am greeting an old friend after a long absence.

I will admit from the beginning though, that this was not a book I 'read' in the traditional sense. I listened to the audiobook on audible.

Now, for the purists out there who hate the idea of listening to an audiobook, and say quite openly that it is 'not the same' as reading a physical book - I wholeheartedly disagree. I used to think just like you, a book was not enjoyable unless you could physically turn the pages and dirty the tips of your fingers with the ink on the page. But over the years I have acquiesced and given in to the latest technologies available to help enjoy my love of the written word. I have enjoyed reading on my kindle now for a few years and audiobooks have been a constant companion.

You see, all three mediums together mean that I can enjoy my passion for literature no matter where in the world I am. Doing the school run, or airport trips, I can listen to my books in the car. Or while running, or out walking the dog.

When I get a peaceful five minutes in the car on a long journey, I can flick through the latest pages on my kindle (which never leaves my handbag) and when at home I can enjoy the pure indulgence of flicking the pages of a 'real book'.

You see, each medium has its advantages.

But this book is different, this author is different. I love Amanda Prowse's books, I love to read them and stain the pages with my tears, I love that I can take her with me in my handbag wherever I go... but audio.. that offers something a little more special.

You see, Amanda voices her own audiobooks. And when it comes to The Girl in the Corner, the emotions I experienced when reading this book were only enhanced by the sound of Amanda's voice as we are pulled through the life of her characters. There is something about Amanda reading the book herself that adds a certain amount of love and emotion to the book that I don't feel would be there if read by anyone else.

This book is one that will grip the hearts of almost every woman who picks it up. Because let's be honest, we have all been the 'girl in the corner' at one point or another. All felt less than worthy, felt like furniture. Felt a little neglected and overlooked.

Amanda has yet again drawn characters that feel so real. So relatable. She has this incredible ability to write stories that make you feel like you are a part of the world. As if this book was written just for you. These words were written solely to be absorbed by you directly. Just like that one love song you hear on the radio during a horrible heartbreak, you know the one, the one you are sure was written just for you... that is The Girl in the Corner. Written so these words, this story, this journey is absorbed by you and you alone. To remind you of your worth. To remind you of your own special qualities.

Rae-Valentine is no ordinary character in a book, written in a way to drive the story forward. No. She is not a character. She is every woman. Every little girl who has ever looked at her more vivacious best friend with a sigh in her heart and wondered why they were chosen by the popular boy. Rae is every mother who has ever put her family and children first. She is the best friend who stands in the shadows and lets others shine. Rae-Valentine is every woman at some point in time.

As we watch Rae navigate her new world, after a devastating revelation on her wedding anniversary threatens to topple her perfectly structured life, we wait patiently for her to recognise her own truth. Shouting at the pages that she deserves more. But how many of us take the time to step back and take a look in the mirror and plead with ourselves to make the hard decisions. To recognise our own strengths.

But it is not just Rae who is relatable. Her relationship with her parents and sister Debbie-Jo are so honest. Real life. Not in any way contrived or forced. Her honest and open approach to the love lives of her children shows a true understanding of translating real life onto the page without losing the drama or impact of fiction. Her friendship with Dolly is one of the most honest portrayals of a conflicted friendship that I have ever read. So honest in their reactions.

The Girl in the Corner is an impactful read for any woman who has ever questioned her place in this world or the significance of their journey. It is the raw, real and emotional rollercoaster of a life that could, and most probably is, lived out each and every day by millions of women across the globe.

The Girl in the Corner is loveable, heartbreaking, raw and real and is, as always, a credit to an author that seems to never ever miss a beat. Never a misstep. Never an inch too far. Just spot on. A family drama that reads as if it were an intimate diary entry.

Praise yet again for Amanda Prowse and a book that seems certain to crack and wither over the years as its pages are re-read and passed down to each and every woman I come across to recommend it to.
Yet another fabulous Amanda Prowse book. Easy to relate to characters with real depth.
Easy to read.
As always I loved it
This, like many of her books relay situations that we all could find ourselves in at any given time. Thought provoking and an enjoyable read.
Can’t believe I have had this book for so long without reading it! Amanda Prowse is a master storyteller, making the everyday into compelling drama. I think the key to her brilliance is that, as the reader you can see yourself in her characters. This is probably why, once I picked this book up I was physically incapable of putting it down...loved every minute of it and would totally recommend it especially for while you’re on holiday, so you don’t get sacked because you can’t leave it alone!😉
Absolutely loved this book.
from the start it had me gripped i felt  Rae's anger and hurt and confusion. i understood everything she did and why she did it. the ending came as a shock but it worked very well. i kind of wished it had happened earlier and we could have had a bit of a look into how her adventures were and what happened after. but overall a brilliant book.

big praise to the author
I loved this book. A tale of love, betrayal and self discovery. Amanda Prowse has created a character in Rae - Valentine who is unaware of her own worth.
The book made me laugh and for the first time in many years made me cry.
I love this book and hope to read more about Rae in the future.
Brilliantly written and definitely recommend. This book does not disappoint. Thank you to Netgalley and the author for the advance reading of it! Loved it!
A very powerful, moving story of a girl called Rae-Valentine , all through her childhood she felt overlooked and outshone by her older sister and believed she would always be the girl in the corner until she met loud, vivacious Dolly who would quickly become her best friend and when Dolly introduced her to her brother Howard the two of them quickly fell in love and Rae-Valentines whole life changed just like that. She no longer felt like the girl in the corner she felt loved and needed although unfortunately heartache was on its way, in more ways than one.
I really enjoyed this book, the characters were just fabulous! Part of the story takes place in Antigua and I literally felt as though I was sitting there along with the girls in paradise. I highly recommend this book and rate it 5 stars...
Rae-Valentine and her husband Howard were childhood sweethearts brought together by Dolly, Rae's best friend and Howard's wild and crazy sister.  They have been married 25 years and have 2 children together.  But now, after their anniversary party, Howard reveals something shocking that leaves Rae blindsided.  Heartbroken, Rae not only starts questioning her marriage but also her friendships that seem to always be one-sided.  Will Rae finally put herself first?

Amanda Prowse has done it again, another gripping read that pulls at the heartstrings.  She really makes you feel for Rae and all she's been through.  A very well-written novel with realistic characters about marriage, friendship, and finding yourself.

*Many thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
“The Girl in the Corner” by Amanda Prowse is a detailed story of one ordinary woman and her relationships with the people closest to her. The main character Rae-Valentine married her husband when she was quite young and she considers family her greatest achievement. She loves her husband Howard dearly and without reservations. She is also very much devoted to their two children. Howard prepares a huge party for their 25th wedding anniversary and everything seems to be perfect. Then she discovers her husband has a secret and all her life comes tumbling down. She is forced to see her entire existence from a different perspective. She starts to question her choices and longs to achieve something more than just being devoted wife and mother. She realises with regret that she was taken for granted by her loved ones for so long that no one appreciates her efforts anymore. She decides to go on vacations with her best friend Dolly, but instead of offering understanding and support Dolly wants to put her right and make her reunite with Howard as fast as possible. Rae-Valentine can’t help being disappointed in her friend and starts to question their friendship as well.

The book was enjoyable, if a little repetitive at times. I felt sorry for Rae-Valentine, but I thought that she expected too much at times. No one is a perfect friend, a perfect husband or a perfect child. She shouldn’t blame the others for her own choices. To sum up, “The Girl in the Corner” is a book about ordinary people and their very ordinary lives.

I received “The Girl in the Corner” from the publisher via NetGalley. I would like to thank the author and the publisher for providing me with the advance reader copy of the book.
I thought this was a nice book. I think Amanda Prowse always has wonderful character development and it's easy to get to know the main characters and relate to them on some level.

This story frustrated me several times due to the behaviors of some of the characters, however the behaviors seemed realistic for the characters in question. This was not an issue with the writing. I simply wanted people to react differently. I suppose that goes to show how realistic her characters really are.

The story dragged a bit at times due to some repetition of themes, but it makes sense that the situation would completely take over a person's thoughts. Again, it was realistic, but frustrating. Imagine a friend who just can't stop talking about a certain situation. At some point you think, "Enough!" But, of course, you need to be understanding of their mindset at the time. That was this book. Fortunately, there was enough other stuff going on in the story that it was easy to overlook this mild repetition.

I felt that the end of this book was the best part. Obviously, I can't state why, but just know that I thought it was wrapped up well.

Overall, a nice story with great character development, some minor, but realistic annoyances, and a well-done ending.
I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for this arc in return for my honest review.

This was a well worth read, it had me engaged from the start to the end.

Please take the time and put this on your reading list, it will not disappoint.
An emotional family drama and search of the true self, Amanda Prowse created a profound, at times funny, but mostly heart-breaking narrative.

We follow Rae-Valentine in her “what looks to be” happy life and marriage. They have two grown kids, a big loud family and the financial security of the family business. Rae-Valentine has always felt like the luckiest girl. She found her love, the other half of her soul when she was just a teenager. Coming from a family where she was constantly outshined by her big sister Debbie-Joe, Rae needed this attention and love.

But of course, nothing could be as simple as this. The happily-ever-after stories need some spice in them. Rae was forced to remove her pink glasses and finally see the truth about her family.

Emotionally gripping, «The Girl in the Corner» makes for the perfect summer read. I can already picture myself lying at the beach or sitting on the pier at the sunset, and losing myself in Rae-Valentine’s drama.
I was really disappointed with this book despite really looking forward to reading it. I found it quite formulaic and didn't rate the main characters at all. Some parts were unrealistic; you don't tell your wife of sleeping with some one else on the eve of your anniversary! Then if you are that wife, you eventually get angry so I found her to be too passive. Sorry but this didn't really do it for me.
This was a nice easy read of family life, love and deception over 25 years of marriage, but who will come out the right end of it...
Amanda Prowse never disappoints. “The Girl in the Corner” is a raw and honest depiction of middle age. The perfect marriage which turns out to be anything but, aging relatives, torn loyalties, empty nest, friendships reconsidered; things that preoccupy many women in their forties. Well written and engaging with a nice twist.