The Girl in the Corner

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Jan 2019

Absolutely loved this book.
from the start it had me gripped i felt  Rae's anger and hurt and confusion. i understood everything she did and why she did it. the ending came as a shock but it worked very well. i kind of wished it had happened earlier and we could have had a bit of a look into how her adventures were and what happened after. but overall a brilliant book.

big praise to the author
I loved this book. A tale of love, betrayal and self discovery. Amanda Prowse has created a character in Rae - Valentine who is unaware of her own worth.
The book made me laugh and for the first time in many years made me cry.
I love this book and hope to read more about Rae in the future.
Brilliantly written and definitely recommend. This book does not disappoint. Thank you to Netgalley and the author for the advance reading of it! Loved it!
A very powerful, moving story of a girl called Rae-Valentine , all through her childhood she felt overlooked and outshone by her older sister and believed she would always be the girl in the corner until she met loud, vivacious Dolly who would quickly become her best friend and when Dolly introduced her to her brother Howard the two of them quickly fell in love and Rae-Valentines whole life changed just like that. She no longer felt like the girl in the corner she felt loved and needed although unfortunately heartache was on its way, in more ways than one.
I really enjoyed this book, the characters were just fabulous! Part of the story takes place in Antigua and I literally felt as though I was sitting there along with the girls in paradise. I highly recommend this book and rate it 5 stars...
Rae-Valentine and her husband Howard were childhood sweethearts brought together by Dolly, Rae's best friend and Howard's wild and crazy sister.  They have been married 25 years and have 2 children together.  But now, after their anniversary party, Howard reveals something shocking that leaves Rae blindsided.  Heartbroken, Rae not only starts questioning her marriage but also her friendships that seem to always be one-sided.  Will Rae finally put herself first?

Amanda Prowse has done it again, another gripping read that pulls at the heartstrings.  She really makes you feel for Rae and all she's been through.  A very well-written novel with realistic characters about marriage, friendship, and finding yourself.

*Many thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
“The Girl in the Corner” by Amanda Prowse is a detailed story of one ordinary woman and her relationships with the people closest to her. The main character Rae-Valentine married her husband when she was quite young and she considers family her greatest achievement. She loves her husband Howard dearly and without reservations. She is also very much devoted to their two children. Howard prepares a huge party for their 25th wedding anniversary and everything seems to be perfect. Then she discovers her husband has a secret and all her life comes tumbling down. She is forced to see her entire existence from a different perspective. She starts to question her choices and longs to achieve something more than just being devoted wife and mother. She realises with regret that she was taken for granted by her loved ones for so long that no one appreciates her efforts anymore. She decides to go on vacations with her best friend Dolly, but instead of offering understanding and support Dolly wants to put her right and make her reunite with Howard as fast as possible. Rae-Valentine can’t help being disappointed in her friend and starts to question their friendship as well.

The book was enjoyable, if a little repetitive at times. I felt sorry for Rae-Valentine, but I thought that she expected too much at times. No one is a perfect friend, a perfect husband or a perfect child. She shouldn’t blame the others for her own choices. To sum up, “The Girl in the Corner” is a book about ordinary people and their very ordinary lives.

I received “The Girl in the Corner” from the publisher via NetGalley. I would like to thank the author and the publisher for providing me with the advance reader copy of the book.
I thought this was a nice book. I think Amanda Prowse always has wonderful character development and it's easy to get to know the main characters and relate to them on some level.

This story frustrated me several times due to the behaviors of some of the characters, however the behaviors seemed realistic for the characters in question. This was not an issue with the writing. I simply wanted people to react differently. I suppose that goes to show how realistic her characters really are.

The story dragged a bit at times due to some repetition of themes, but it makes sense that the situation would completely take over a person's thoughts. Again, it was realistic, but frustrating. Imagine a friend who just can't stop talking about a certain situation. At some point you think, "Enough!" But, of course, you need to be understanding of their mindset at the time. That was this book. Fortunately, there was enough other stuff going on in the story that it was easy to overlook this mild repetition.

I felt that the end of this book was the best part. Obviously, I can't state why, but just know that I thought it was wrapped up well.

Overall, a nice story with great character development, some minor, but realistic annoyances, and a well-done ending.
I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for this arc in return for my honest review.

This was a well worth read, it had me engaged from the start to the end.

Please take the time and put this on your reading list, it will not disappoint.
An emotional family drama and search of the true self, Amanda Prowse created a profound, at times funny, but mostly heart-breaking narrative.

We follow Rae-Valentine in her “what looks to be” happy life and marriage. They have two grown kids, a big loud family and the financial security of the family business. Rae-Valentine has always felt like the luckiest girl. She found her love, the other half of her soul when she was just a teenager. Coming from a family where she was constantly outshined by her big sister Debbie-Joe, Rae needed this attention and love.

But of course, nothing could be as simple as this. The happily-ever-after stories need some spice in them. Rae was forced to remove her pink glasses and finally see the truth about her family.

Emotionally gripping, «The Girl in the Corner» makes for the perfect summer read. I can already picture myself lying at the beach or sitting on the pier at the sunset, and losing myself in Rae-Valentine’s drama.
I was really disappointed with this book despite really looking forward to reading it. I found it quite formulaic and didn't rate the main characters at all. Some parts were unrealistic; you don't tell your wife of sleeping with some one else on the eve of your anniversary! Then if you are that wife, you eventually get angry so I found her to be too passive. Sorry but this didn't really do it for me.
This was a nice easy read of family life, love and deception over 25 years of marriage, but who will come out the right end of it...
Amanda Prowse never disappoints. “The Girl in the Corner” is a raw and honest depiction of middle age. The perfect marriage which turns out to be anything but, aging relatives, torn loyalties, empty nest, friendships reconsidered; things that preoccupy many women in their forties. Well written and engaging with a nice twist.
Consistently good writing from Amanda Prowse. This one was, like her other books, was a cracking story that tugs at your heartstrings. I loved the characters and despite thinking I might have a crack at predicting the events and outcome, Prowse always pops something unexpected into the storyline. With thanks to Netgalley and publisher for the opportunity to review, honestly, another book by one of my favourite authors.
This book was amazing from start to end.  The main character Rae was so well written and she took you on the journey with her.  The surprising ending was brilliant and stayed with me for a long time.  Great author who's books I will definitely be looking for now.
The author's writing is beautiful. This book also contains a beautiful message one of living for ourselves and not trying to please others all the time. I loved this book.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
There was a melodic quality to this author's words and I found that many times I would take a moment and re-read a sentence, letting the words pierce my heart, feeling the full weight of the character's angst. I loved this book and would definitely be inclined to read other work from this author.
Amanda Prowse takes her readers on a rollercoaster journey of emotions with wonderfully crafted characters.

As always with this author you should have the tissues handy - you will need them!

It is a beautiful story which holds the reader captive from the first few pages due to Amanda’s way of writing that makes you really feel deeply for the characters.

This is a book that gives the message that we should be the person that we want to be, to try to live the life we want for ourselves, and not for anyone else.

Beautiful and heartfelt book. Thank you Amanda.

Thank you to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing and Amanda Prowse for the opportunity to read and review this book.  I have also puchased a copy of the kindle book following publication date!
I found this to be an excellent read.  It was well written, realistic with believable characters, for the most part, and an entertaining story from start to finish.  This book had it all - romance, heartbreak, family stuff, marital issues.

Rae and Dolly have been friends from the age of sixteen and wound up sisters-in-law when Rae married Dolly's brother Howard.  Life was good; a successful family business, two healthy children, a beautiful home and lots of loving family around.  But when Rae learns about her husband's infidelity, from him on their wedding anniversary, all the world comes crashing down on  her.  I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, but I strongly recommend this one.  It was a really great read.
Amanda Prowse has become an auto-read author for me.  I love her stories of ordinary women (and their families) who are thrown into extraordinary circumstances and how they react and adjust.  This is another in that vein, and I was left guessing until almost the end as to how things would pan out for Rae-Valentine, what the truth of her situation would turn out to be, and what direction she would choose for her life.  As a bonus, I listened to much of the audio version, which is read by the author, and she does a lovely job with the narration.
Thanks to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing a copy for an unbiased review.
I have never read a book by bestselling author Amanda Prows before and this was certainly a great one to start with.

Rae-Valentine and Howard were childhood sweethearts. They’ve shared twenty-five peaceful years since they were brought together by Dolly, Howard’s larger-than-life sister. But now, on the night of their wedding anniversary, Howard reveals a shocking betrayal that leaves Rae reeling.

“The Girl in the Corner" was a highly absorbing story with very charismatic characters, particularly the protagonist Rae. I related a lot to Rae - I fell in love, married at 16 and was typically 'the girl in the corner'.

“You stand out, you shine brightly. Yes, you are quietly spoken, but you have energy and kindness; you are many things, but you are not furniture.”

You may think you know what is going to happen but the ending has a surprising twist in the tale. Overall, it was a well written book that engages readers right through the book eliciting a range of emotions from love to loss.