The Eighth Sister

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Apr 2019

Robert Dugoni is a new author to me. The Eighth Sister kept my interest despite the time in Russia being a bit confusing. I liked the Charles Jenkins character and enjoyed the trial scenes. Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC.
This is a great suspense, a little different from the norm. The main character, Charles Jenkins, is a former CIA agent in his sixties, with a young son and a baby on the way. His business is failing, so when he is recalled by the CIA for a very risky assignment, he reluctantly agrees to travel to Moscow on a dangerous mission.

Things don't go as expected, all is not what it seems, and Jenkins is soon in a fight for survival, for himself and his family. Aside from a compelling and enjoyable storyline, this one has nonstop action and pulse-pounding excitement. Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for a copy of the book in return for an honest review.
I’ve read all of the books in the Tracy Crosswhite series and have listened to two in the David Sloan series.   I didn’t initially remember Charles Jenkins’ character as this story began but when David Sloan’s name was mentioned, I recalled that he had worked for David.  I’m not clear if this will be a separate series or a standalone but it starts off with fast-paced and almost heart stopping suspense as Charles travels to Russia and then tries to leave that country.  It was quite intense and kept me flipping the pages on my Kindle.

Once he returns home, the story is slower but then builds again as charges are brought against him and seemingly no way to prove his story.  Charles was a CIA agent many years prior and was asked to take on another assignment.  From the beginning I was leery of the whole situation so I knew there would be some scary ‘spy’ business going on.  Even though he’s much older than his initial CIA days, he’s able to consider all possibilities on how to escape and find essential evidence.

You can easily read the blurb and many other reviews to know more about the story.  I want to note that I’ve enjoyed every book by Mr. Dugoni.  He writes well-developed characters with compelling storylines.  He adeptly provides bits and pieces of details that keep you reading and guessing throughout each story.  This story was well plotted and had plenty of twists and turns to keep me interested.  I especially liked the ending which caused me to laugh at some unexpected events and conversations.  I highly recommend any book by Mr. Dugoni.
Robert Dugoni  is a master storyteller.   The Eighth Sister is a nail bitting, thrill of a ride read  that is current to today !

Charles Jenkins is a retired CIA agent who happens to be desperate for money, comes out of a long retirement to take a dangerous assignment in Russia.

Things don't go as plan and the escape is on !!

The pages fly by, you want to know how Charles will manage to escape ; I spent time yelling at him, don't do that !

Don't want to give anything away so pick up your copy, clear your calendar and enjoy a great ride.

Please take time to read the author's notes at the end of the book, it totally enhances the book.

Thanks again to Net Galley and the publisher Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read The Eight Sister !!  Can't wait to get a copy for my bookshelves.
A combination of spy and legal thriller, this latest book by Dugoni is a fast paced adventure that will keep you intrigued until the very end. Compelling characters, realistic settings and storylines make for a page turner.
I am a huge fan of Robert Dugoni’s Tracy Crosswhite series and this is much different. It kind of goes toward the intrigue of Russia today with a espionage feel.
     It’s well written and enjoyable for those who enjoy action packed espionage thrillers.
WOW!  What a thrilling, suspenseful ride!!  While spy thrillers are not my preferred genre, I AM a fan of author Robert Dugoni, so I trusted that this latest novel of his would be just as captivating as his others, despite my lukewarm interest in reading an espionage story.  Thankfully, my trust was completely warranted, as “The Eighth Sister” didn’t disappoint!

Delving between the pages of this novel, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  But right from the very first page, the story grabbed ahold of me and kept me captive right up until the very end.  Boasting likeable, multi-dimensional characters and a unique, enthralling storyline, Robert Dugoni delivered another 5-star read that I was hard-pressed to put down.

Briefly summarizing, “The Eighth Sister” is a smart, intricately woven story of an ex-CIA agent—Charles Jenkins—that gets pulled into a complex scheme involving Russian and US spies that result in espionage charges being brought against him.  Betrayed by his own government, Charles Jenkins must find a way to prove his innocence—a difficult task that just might be impossible.  Eliciting a myriad of emotions, “The Eighth Sister” is an unforgettable story about love, honor and truth.
Once again, Robert Dugoni has hit one out of the park.  Part spy novel and part courtroom drama, this book is much more than the sum of its parts.  Teetering on the edge of financial ruin, a retired CIA operative is reactivated for a mission in Russia.  His financial future could be secure — if he survives the mission.
I've been devouring everything Robert Dugoni has written ever since I picked up a copy of Wrongful Death and met him at a book signing. When I heard he was returning to the world of David Sloane with a spy book focused on his friend Charlie Jenkins, I could not wait to get a copy. I figured the author's skill at writing thrillers would serve him well. I was not disappointed.

Charlie is approached by his former CIA station chief and reluctantly recruited into what is supposed to be a few quick trips to Russia to gain some valuable intel. It will also provide some needed cash to keep his business afloat. His first trip is suspenseful, but successful. On the second trip, things go horribly wrong and we're off to the races.

As usual, the author's writing is clear and vivid. The characters, locations and action come alive, even when they fall into some obvious spy novel stereotypes. The reader is kept on the edge of their seat, turning pages to find out what happens next. Then, about two-thirds of the way through, the story takes a bit of a left turn, changing from a spy novel to a legal drama. By this time, the story has the reader hooked and anxious to finish. But the change in pace is a bit jarring.

I won't say I saw the end coming. But I feel like I picked up on most of the clues to the underlying mystery as they were dropped along the way. This didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. But I like it when spy novels keep me guessing a little more. Even so, I enjoyed this book and recommend it.
After retiring from the CIA, Charles Jenkins settled into a comfortable life outside of Seattle.  He had a nine-year-old son, CJ, and a baby on the way. His private security firm’s primary client was developing offices all over the world, but Charles wasn’t getting paid. Worried about keeping the business afloat, especially since his wife Alex was suffering through a high-risk pregnancy, Charles was willing to entertain the offer extended by a former colleague from the CIA.

Without telling Alex, also a former CIA operative, Charles accepts the offer to travel to Russia and complete the mission, offering just enough information to make the FSB agents believe he has intel on the “eighth sister,” women who were passing Russian info to American agents. It was relatively easy to get into Russia, using his private security firm as his cover, but getting out of the country was quite a different story.

Being a huge Robert Dugoni fan, I was eager to tear into this book, and as usual, I was not disappointed. The attention to detail made the setting and characters easy to imagine, and the idea of Charles, a muscular black man that stands 6’5”, hiding behind a burka in order to get out of the country amused me. This one reads as a stand-alone, though David Sloane, an attorney in another Dugoni series, plays a prominent role.
Jenkins, former CIA, agrees to a mission in Moscow hoping it will make him financially secure. Little does he know that nothing and no one are what they seem. Chased by Russian Officers, Jenkins has to escape only to find how own country has turned against him. Sometimes tense, good locations, fairly run of the mill espionage story.
When i saw the author of this book i jumped on the chance to read it. I should have looked into it a bit more. I LOVE the mystery/murder.thriller Tracey Crosswhite series so i figured this would be right up my alley. I was incorrect. This is very much a spy novel for the most part combined with somewhat of a legal thriller. Jack Reacher meets The Firm ( Tom Cruise has this book got the role for you). That being said just because it was not my cup of tea, doesnt mean it wont be yours. From a overview perspective i would have given this 4 stars. It was well written and had the making of an excellent book, it was simply the subject that i was not keen on. SO if you like spy/government/conspiracy type books or legal dramas certainly give this one a shot.
An Espionage and Legal Thrillers in One Fast-Paced Novel

This novel opens with a secretary leaving the Russian White House and arrives home to find two FSB officers in her apartment. She is accused of being one of seven elderly women spies for the US known as the Seven Sisters. Then the story switches to Charles Jenkins, an ex-CIA agent who owns his own company, CJ Security, with one client, who is behind paying him that Charles is in danger of losing his company and his home. He is contacted by his old CIA boss who talked him into working for the Agency again and to go to Russia. He is to contact the FSB and provide some information of spies and specifically on the Seven Sisters. The purpose is to find the identity of the counteragent uncovering these spies. Charles accepts and the story is off and running.

The main storyline is proceed quickly and fairly straight forward as counterespionage on both the US and Russian sides story. There are not many twists or turns, but when the few occur they hit the reader like a truck. After things go south, the storyline turns in to an intriguing cat and mouse story.

Upon returned to the US, Charles does not like what happened and contacts the FBI in hope of finding if he really was reactivated that also would let the CIA know that there was a leak or mole. Quickly, the FBI focused on him and arrested him. The storyline then turns into a legal thriller with David Sloane as the attorney.

I have not read any of the David Sloane series of novels. I understand that Charles was a character in several of them. I did not find this out until after I finished reading this novel. I did not feel that I was missing anything by not having read those novels before reading this one. The B-storyline provided a rich background on all of the main characters and was woven well into the main storyline making the reading of this novel richer and more enjoyable.

As for vulgar language there were not any f-bomb and very little lesser vulgar language. There are not any sex scenes either. There should not be any issues with readers who are sensitive to these two issues.

I really enjoyed reading this novel. Its fast pace right from the start set its hooks into my imagination. I read it late into the night and every chance during the day that I could. This is my major criteria for a high star rating. There were not any loose ends when the novel finished. I rate this novel with five stars and recommend it even if you have not read any of the David Sloane series of novels.

I have received a free kindle version of this novel through NetGalley from Thomas & Mercer with a request for an honest, unbiased review. I wish to thank Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read this novel early.
Charles Jenkins use to work for the CIA as a case officer in his early twenties, until a case goes bad and he leaves without looking back. Forty years later he is happily married with a 9 year old son and a baby on the way. But his security consulting business might be going into bankruptcy.  Charles doesn't know what to do. He is in his early 60's and his wife has a high risk pregnancy and he doesn't want to worry her that their business might be failing. Out of the blue he's old case manager shows up at his house asking him to go to Russia to work undercover to find out who is killing off U.S spies known as the Seven Sisters. Charles agrees since he needs money so badly, but realizes once he is there not everything isn't all that it may it seem.
 At first it kinda took me a long time to read this book because it didn't captivate me like Robert Dugoni's other books. I am a huge fan of his Tracy Crosswhite stories. By the middle of the book I was getting intrigued.
Robert Dugoni has been on a roll with his books and this one did not disappoint me. A great thrilling ride from the first page until the end.
I’ve read a lot of Dugonis books.  A lot of the Tracy Crosswhite series and some of his stand alone books and I loved all of them. Given that, I was delighted to find out he had written a new book - The Eighth Sister.

This is a spy thriller of sorts but not necessarily the book I thought it was going to be. I didn’t read the blurb about it at all so went in blind, confidently enough based on the author.

It’s the story of Charles Jenkins, an ex CIA agent in his early sixties, retired from the CIA for almost forty years, he has moved to Washington, married with a young son and another child on the way, he runs a security firm.

Out of the blue his ex boss from his CIA operative days when based Mexico turns up with a proposal for him to be “reactivated” and go on a mission to Moscow to plant some information with the Russian authorities to draw out a secret agent. Having spent his former time in the CIA infiltrating KGB agents and being fluent in Russsian, his boss tells him he is the ideal candidate. There is also a healthy monetary reward for completing the mission and with his business in serious financial trouble he reluctantly accepts and heads to Russia to begin the mission.

That’s how the book starts and develops and spends a large chunk in Russia as he makes contact with Russian agent and the game of cat and mouse begins between the two of them. With this set up I expected the entirety of the book to be spent in Russia as Charles’s mission and the secrets of it play out and are revealed. But it doesn’t stay on script as his cover is kind of blown and it turns into a sort of road/chase type book and then a courtroom drama!

I really loved this book and the surprises it provided. Not so much the “reveals” but the surprise directions that it took. Just as I though I knew what the main narrative of the book would be about it moved in a different direction. It felt like the narrative of three different books rolled into one. The thing is they all worked perfectly. If anything the book got better and better as it went on.

I’ve said it before but there is just something about Dugonis writing style and storytelling that just clicks with me. Every book I’ve read of his I’ve felt thoroughly satisfied at the end and no more so than this one.
The book had me so much the more I got into it, that, as I write this review, I had 50% of it read at the start of this day and just spent the afternoon reading and completing the second half of it(which is some going for a rather pedestrian paced reader like myself). I got lost in the book, some classic rock on in the background to accompany it and a few cups of tea, a fantastic way to spend a wet and dreary afternoon.

Highly recommend, Mr Dugoni has yet to put a foot wrong in my reading experience. I’m off to amazon now to find the remaking books that I  haven’t read in his series.

Many thanks to Netgalley, Thomas & Mercer and Robert Dugoni for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Robert Dugoni, and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

While Robert Dugoni is the author of two successful series, his standalone novels grip the reader just as effectively. There is something refreshing about an author who has so many ideas and whose name is indicative of stellar writing and plausible storylines. Charles Jenkins has been out of the spy game for many years. After serving as a CIA field agent in Mexico City, he left abruptly and eventually began work on his own security company. Four decades on, Jenkins has found solace in his wife, Alex, as well as a son, with a second child on the way. When a former Agency colleague pays a visit, Jenkins knows that it is not a friendly check-in, especially after all this time. Jenkins soon learns that a number of Russian women are turning up dead in and around Moscow. While this is nothing concerning on the surface, they were all feeding secret intel to the Americans, part of a group called the ‘Seven Sisters’. While these women were excellent at their jobs, none knew they were anything but isolated individuals defying Mother Russia during her time as the USSR. With the rise of Putin and a new authoritarian regime, whispers of the Seven Sisters re-emerged, especially since Putin was once a KGB officer and keenly interested in the rumours. Now, it would seem that there is an eighth sister working for Putin and the FSB; one who is tasked with sniffing out these traitors. Enter, Charles Jenkins, who is being sent to Russia under cover of checking up on one of his client’s former offices, to seek to have the newest sister reveal herself and let the Americans take it from there. However, when Jenkins’ mission is compromised, he becomes the hunted inside Russia, while the CIA denies any knowledge and will offer no help. Back in America, Alex is given instructions by her husband to leave their home and seek out David Sloane, a friend and established Seattle attorney. While Sloane and Alex know nothing of what is going on, they can only hope that Jenkins still has the antics he possessed forty years ago to extricate himself from this mess. Little does he know, his fight to get away from the FSB is only the start to the headaches that await him. Another stunning novel by Dugoni that reignites old Cold War drama, alongside some stunning legal developments. Recommended for those who love stories of espionage, especially the reader who is a longtime fan of Robert Dugoni’s writing.

I always flock to a new Robert Dugoni novel, knowing that I will not be disappointed. Even his standalone pieces keep me intrigued, helping to fill the void that arises when I have to wait for the next instalment of his popular Tracy Crosswhite series. Dugoni enjoys filling his novels with details that are more poignant than fillers, keeping the reader educated as well as entertained from the opening paragraphs until the tumultuous final sentences. The development of his protagonist, Charles Jenkins was quite effective, hinting at a past within the Agency without offering up too many details. Pulling on this and linking it effectively to the Cold War-esque storyline helped the reader see the connection, as well as seek to know a little more. As the story progresses and Jenkins finds himself on the run, the reader learns a little more about Jenkins and his family, a core part of why he has stayed off the grid for so long. The story also tests Jenkins’ resolve to better understand just how far he can go as an agency plant to extract needed information with ease. Working with that is a handful of characters, both in Russia’s FSB and back in America, trying to help Jenkins flee the trouble in which he finds himself. Dugoni effectively juggles both sets of characters, developing a strong espionage theme throughout as the race to safety (or elimination) mounts with each passing page. Of particular note in the inclusion of David Sloane into the story. Longtime fans of Robert Dugoni will know that this was the author’s first series protagonist and an effective lawyer he was. I cut my teeth on that series and respected Dugoni the more I read of it. Sloane, still a Seattle attorney, plays an effective and essential role, giving fans a jolt of excitement to see him back on the page. The story was quite strong, particularly in an age when Russia is back to play a key role on the international political and spy scene. Dugoni keeps the chapters flowing and the action mounting as the struggle for freedom becomes more desperate. Dugoni is on the mark with this piece and it goes to show just how masterful an author he has become.

Kudos, Mr. Dugoni, on another splendid addition to your writing list. I am always eager to see what you have in store for fans and was not disappointed with this effort.
I did like this book but I only wish it had more espionage and less courtroom.  I am not a fan of that at all.  Still I enjoyed it.
This is an alert spy book and I couldn't let it down. Charles Jenkins is asked to help with the Seven Sisters case. But in Moscow he finds out there is an eight sister. Really intriguing.
Thank you Netgalley for this adventure.
Thank you Netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was an excellent spy novel. Charles is an ex Cia agent who is once again drawn in by the CIA to spy for the US in hopes of saving 4 of the remaining 7 sisters spying in Russia. From the moment he lands in Russia and deals with their lead agent of the FSB it becomes a dangerous game of cat and mouse. Charles uses his past experience as a CIA agent to fool and deceive the Russian intelligence. I was impressed with the contemporary political backdrop of the story and attention to historic details. A definite page turner!