The Eighth Sister

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Apr 2019

50% Spy Thriller. 50% Legal Thriller. 100% Thrilling!

Wow! Robert Dugoni you have a new fan, right here! This was a wild action packed story bursting with intrigue and adventure. I don’t read many spy thrillers, but this one was done extremely well. I was seriously on the edge of my seat this entire book and when the spy thriller turned into a legal thriller this book was just as compelling and nerve-racking. Reading this book was like watching an intense action adventure movie, but better.

Charles Jenkins is exCIA now running a security company in Seattle. Now a family Man with a loving wife, a nine-year-old son, and a baby on the way. When Charles is approached by the CIA to go back into Russia he cannot resist the paycheck, it will get his business out of the red. But the assignment and the people involved aren’t quite what they seem. Soon Charles discovers himself in the middle of a precarious situation, in terrible danger. Now he finds himself on a chase across Europe, fighting to save his life, and the lives of those he loves. What transpires is a riveting tale that will keep you glued to the pages.

This book definitely got my heart pounding. I had no idea how Charles was going to get himself out of this situation. Charles was very likable, reminiscent of the spies of old. In fact this entire book had a bit of a nostalgic feel to it, a homage to Russian spy books of the past. All the secondary characters are as interesting as Charles, even the relentless Russian.

A riveting story that will quench your thirst for action, adventure, and spies! Definitely recommend!

*** many thanks to Thomas & Mercer for my copy of this book ***
Robert Dugoni’s newest series starts off with a stellar story that will hook readers and keep them guessing until the very end. Another well-crafted story by one of the very best.

Charles Jenkins thought he had left his spy days behind him decades ago. He has a wife, son, and a new baby on the while with his security business is falling apart.  Just when things are at their worst, his past comes back into the present when his former bureau chief shows up with an assignment for him that could save him financially. He must travel to Moscow to find a secret Russian agent supposed to have been killing members of a US spy cell known as the seven sisters. With no other alternative, Charles agrees to the mission and heads to Russia where he finds what he least expects, the eighth sister. His mission doesn’t go off without complications and he finds himself trying to escape with no help from his country and risks his life to get back to his family he left behind.

In typical Robert Dugoni fashion. readers are given a thriller that is unlike anything written by most authors out there. When Dugoni writes a thriller, readers are going to be pulled in and given a story they will be thinking about for days after they turn the last page. I loved the way he tied in David Sloane even though this was not a David Sloane novel. Charles Jenkins looks to be a stellar lead character for this new series and is able to bring in secondary characters that I can’t wait to see how they are further developed in future novels. The first half plays out as more of a spy thriller and the second half goes more into a legal thriller. Each are great in their own way and are still able to drive the story forward with tension between the characters and what is going to happen. This is very different from the Tracy Crosswhite series, which is my absolute favorite series. I was a little skeptical going into this that it wouldn’t live up to my expectations, but I am happy to say this was another great read by Dugoni.  I really enjoyed the start to this new series and can’t wait to see what will come next. I recommend this to readers that enjoy Dugoni’s writing style and a great spy/legal thriller. If you have never read anything by Dugoni, the start of this series would be a great place to begin your journey.

I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher.  The views and opinions expressed within are my own.
Many thanks to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer, and Robert Dugoni for the opportunity to read his latest book.  While Russian spy novels might not typically be my go-to choice, it's Robert Dugoni!  I will read anything by him.  If you haven't read his books - you are totally missing out.  Plus, this is the start of a new series - more to look forward to!

Charles Jenkins is happy running a security firm, living on a farm in Seattle with his wife, Alex, who is pregnant, and son CJ.  Life would be good except for the fact that his client is over late paying bills amounting to over $50,000, meaning Charles can't meet his payroll.  Alex's pregnancy is complicated as well, leading to more worries.  Charles was in the CIA decades ago but when his old handler came to see him to ask him to do an undercover mission in Russia to save the lives of women working as US spies.  Charles can speak Russian and was skilled in his old CIA life, so he was the perfect person.  The fact that he would get much needed payment for the job made it impossible to resist.  An exciting thrill ride ensues as Charles tries to stay one step ahead of the FSB (the modern day KGB).  The second part of the book is courtroom drama - none the less exciting.

Enough said - great read and an exciting start to a new series!
The first part of this book is a very well written, action-filled and old school spy-novel. Unfortunately the plot isn't very logical (for being set in our time), and the main character is old, but sadly, not very wise. Who wants to read about a person doing stupid things, unless it's a comedy?
The second part is from the courtroom; very American, but with little action.
This is the tenth Robert Dugoni book I've read, and perhaps my favorite. As always, it was intelligent, plausible, and complex. Add to those Dugoni staples a wide geographical sweep and espionage, to boot!

The Eighth Sister seems to be a spinoff from Dugoni's David Sloane series, featuring Sloane's friend Charlie Jenkins. It's the best kind of story, in which an unremarkable character takes one seemingly logical step, then another, suddenly finding himself over his head. And then he musters hidden (or, in Jenkins' case, long-dormant) resources and keeps ahead, just barely, of catastrophic consequences.

In The Eighth Sister, the catastrophes are unleashed by both the Russian and U.S. intelligence establishments, making this a David-against-double-Goliath story. Jenkins, however, has a very competent lawyer as a friend, and their teamwork is crucial during the second half of the book.

The relationships between most of Dugoni's characters have depth and meaning, especially those forged under the extreme conditions of flight through and out of Russia. Paulina, the FSB spy, and Demir, the fisherman, are memorable.

Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas and Mercer for an advance readers copy of this book.
Another marvellous tale from Robert Dugoni, who is fast becoming one of my go-to authors. This book is set in two parts, the first a spy tale, in the mould of the classic cold war espionage novels. As I cut my teeth on these types of books back in the day, it was fantastic to see a modern take, and Dugoni has done a great job here.

We have Charlie, former spy for the CIA, now 64years old, and running a security company with his pregnant wife. Cash flow isn't good and business is failing. Then a blast from Charlie's past turns up with a chance to activate on a mission for the CIA, and to solve his money problems at the same time. Charlie has little choice but to take the lifeline, and this plunges him into the turmoil of modern Russia, where memories are long. When the mission goes awry he has to find his way out of Russia, with the FSB, the modern KGB close on his tail.

Part two of this story takes a totally different tack, it turns legal thriller, and is classic Robert Dugoni.

I'm not going to say too much more, as I don't want to give the plot away. This is a fast paced book that you really don't want to put down. I was reading it waaaaaay past my bed time. It is a compelling and gripping read, and I recommend it to all thriller lovers.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC un exchange for an honest review.
For readers there simply isn't any other feeling more welcome than knowing that you can wholeheartedly trust an author to write endlessly compelling stories on which you can rely to capture your interest from very early on and hold you hostage until it's over; they are indeed a rare breed and for me Mr Dugoni is one of those. The Eighth Sister is the first book in the brand spanking new thriller series featuring protagonist and central character, Charles Jenkins. The narrative gets off to a flying start with more action than you can shake a stick at. There is simply no let-up and this married with the easy, highly reading readable style of writing made it an unputdownable adventure that had my nerves jangling.

The author masterfully recreates the fear and alarm surrounding the frosty relationship between Soviet Russia and The West during the Cold War era. The clandestine activity, espionage, disinformation/propaganda and topics pertaining to that epoch are woven into the very core of this story. It's a thrilling, addictive and one heck of a wild ride, and it's clear once again Dugoni knows how to give readers exactly what they crave.

If you enjoy books with a strong, relatable hero and danger lurking around every corner with a superb series of twisty surprises and misdirection then you'll have as much of a fun, entertaining time as I did throughout this novel. I am already eagerly anticipating the next instalment to be reacquainted with Charles for hopefully another nail-biting adventure.

Many thanks to Thomas & Mercer for an ARC.
This Eighth Sister grabbed me from the beginning and wouldn't let go until the final page. It's been a while since I lost sleep reading a book, but this is one of the best stories I've read in a long time. An instant classic!
Charles Jenkins, a man in his early sixties, needs money.  His wife is pregnant with their second child and his security business is facing bankruptcy due to one of his vendors not paying bills on time.  Although he finds relief reading Harry Potter to his son at night, thoughts about finances and the future trouble him.  When Carl Emerson, his former CIA station chief contacts him, Charlie is intrigued. Charlie walked away from the CIA forty years ago, but when Emerson presents him with a mission and a way to make some money, Charlie cannot refuse. Charlie speaks Russian, had experience working with the KGB years ago when he worked undercover in Mexico, making him the perfect person to gather information for this covert mission.

Charlie is soon in Russia engaged in a game of cat and mouse trying to find the identity of the eighth sister, the one who is killing members of US spy cell known as the seven sisters - Russian women who are being killed for being spies. Soon, things become intense and Charlie must put all his past CIA experience to the test in order to come out this alive.

There is a lot going on in this book especially in the first section.  The cat and mouse game in Russia is exciting, intriguing and kept my attention.  Never really knowing what was going to happen next, had me on the edge of my seat.  Plus, Charlies found a worthy opponent in Russian Agent Federov.

Dugoni shared about his previous trip to Russia with his family, being followed, a child thinking he was military and even rumors of listening devices and walking naked in front of mirrors.  He also shared a discussion he had with Kristin Hannah about her inspiration for the Nightingale and his encounters with individuals who shared parts of their lives with him, as his inspiration for this book.

It's fair to say, I think Dugoni nailed it. Not only did he create interesting and well-developed characters, he used the environment of Russia as a character as well.  I could feel the cold seeping from the pages.  I am also not a big spy/espionage fan, but he made me one with this book. He also showcased his research and ability to write in various genres.  I found this book to be captivating and although the last half slows down with the court room scenes, they are still interesting and thought provoking.

Thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.  The thoughts and opinions are my own.
Robert Dugoni delivers a heart-pounding spy thriller in THE EIGHTH SISTER. I haven’t read any of the previous novels, but had no trouble enjoying this one and being on the edge of my seat throughout the story.

Charles Jenkins, a former spy for the CIA, is struggling to keep his CJ Security business afloat. When he’s approached by his former bureau chief asking for Charles’s help in unmasking a so-called eighth sister, someone who is outing the names of a group of Russian women who have been spying for the US for decades. Charles is told that the Russians will use every trick in the book to uncover the names of this coven of the other seven women who spy on Russia. Already three women have died under mysterious circumstances. Charles is torn about be reactivated by the CIA after decades away, but his sense of duty to save lives overcomes any trepidation he may have. It is a decision that will change the course of his life.

The first half of this book will hold you in its grips and will not let up as Charles flees for his life. The second half of the book has its own drama going on and just when you think it’s going in one direction, Mr. Dugoni throws another twist in the story. Overall, this is a fantastic spy thriller, but be sure to carve out enough time to read it because you won’t want to put it down! Fans of spy thrillers will definitely be entertained by Mr. Dugoni’s latest release.
Gripping from page one, the author ramps up the bone-chilling scenario of a Moscow winter and a vulnerable, feminine spy; you're hooked.

Sixty-something Charles Jenkins, ex CIA, has become desperate for money. His international security firm has been shorted a number of payments and forced his own debts delinquent, teetering on bankruptcy. He is married and has a nine-year-old son...his much younger wife Alex is pregnant with their second child.
He is surprised by an unannounced visit after nearly forty years from his former case manager in Mexico City who has a proposal he cannot refuse. This mission involves contact in Moscow to try and filter out the Russian agent who is believed responsible for killing members of a US spy circle known as the seven sisters.

Almost from the beginning, just when you think you understand where this is going to go, the storyline takes a 90-degree turn. You are introduced to Viktor of the FSB (formerly KGB) and Paulina, both of whom become empathetic and earn tons of respect. Okay, yes, Viktor is FSB. There is that. And then the mission went sideways prompting a flee for his life.

But then, what? Home, but not safe. Just when you thought the desperate effort to survive was over, the desperation simply takes on a new direction. We are reintroduced to David Sloan (an early Dugoni series protagonist), Jenkins attorney. Sloan knows the law and I thoroughly enjoyed the courtroom drama and the manipulation of information.

Dialogue is intelligent, sparring (particularly between he and Viktor), and often incorporates the language of the country he is in (or fleeing). Jenkins is a winner. Paulina is immensely appealing. The well-plotted narrative never lets you relax or take a breath. It's easy to feel the teeth-chattering cold, the terror of escaping by inches. And, as "they" say, sixty-four "is the new forty."

I was thrilled to get this ebook download from the publisher and NetGalley and greatly appreciated the opportunity to read one of my favorite author's new books. His writing style always sets you up for a satisfying journey through the pages. Can't wait for book 2! Highly recommended.
Like the raw frigid winds of a Russian winter, this one is gonna get your attention.

Robert Dugoni is switching gears in The Eighth Sister with quite the jaunt into face-to-face with FSB, a Russian counter-intelligence agency that is a successor to the ol' KGB. The KGB should conjure up an image of Putin injecting measures of barbaric Russian interrogation methods. You just don't walk away from one of those intact.

Dugoni introduces us to Charles Jenkins, a sixty-four year old African American former CIA agent. He showcased his expertise nearly 40 years ago while working undercover in Mexico. Long behind him, Charles now has a young son and another child on the way. His wife, Alex, was a case officer for CFO. His family is everything to him.

But there's no picket fence involved in this one. Charles runs a security company based out of Seattle. He's invested everything he has into his company with not a nickel to spare. He's already taken on more debt than he can handle making payroll. His top customer is forever late with payments. His cash flow is just not flowin'.

There's a knock on his door one morning. Standing before him is Carl Emerson, the CIA station chief. He's got quite the offer for Charles. There's an intelligence group of Seven Sisters trained to infiltrate Russian sources and provide crucial information to the United States. The term Seven Sisters refers to Stalin's plainly constructed buildings in Moscow that would confuse bombers during the war. Three of the sisters have been killed in the past two years. None of the sisters have any knowledge of one another. So who exactly is on a rampage and why now?

Emerson leans on Charles. Charles is quite fluent in Russian and has an extreme "boots on the ground" mentality as opposed to total electronic intelligence vs man power. It's hardly an instant decision for Charles. He's putting a lot on the line for country here. But the sleepless nights worrying about finances and the well-being of his family finally clicks in. Charles will take on a brutal challenge unlike he's ever seen before in his career.

The Eighth Sister is a stellar read in the hands of the very talented Robert Dugoni. He's widened his scope in this one and we are grippin' knuckles on the steering wheel throughout this read. Just keep 'em comin', Dugoni. Just keep 'em comin'.

I received a copy of The Eighth Sister through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Thomas & Mercer and to Robert Dugoni for the opportunity.
WOW, this book has so much going on and all at heart stopping speed. The espionage is masterful - the best game of cat and mouse and rat. The setting is scary, the scenario horrifying. My hands were shaking, my respiration level was accelerated, my mind was reeling trying to keep up and figure out what was coming, who was real, who was betrayed, who was the betrayer. The escape was hold your breath this is never going to work crazy.

The trial was masterful and and equally terrifying. This is a stupendous education in how the law can be twisted, turned and used for everything but the truth. Lawyers use judges and motions to win because winning is everything and ultimately meaningless in the search for honesty and veracity.

Robert Dugoni is one of the more talented writers of this genre but he is equally adept at other forms.If you haven’t read “The Extraordinary Life of Same Hell” I urge you to pick it up and discover a totally different but equally phenomenal story.

Thank you NetGalley and Thomas and Mercer for a copy.
This is the first - but not the last book I have read by this author.

This is an exceptional standalone thriller which clearly demonstrates his knowledge of the shady world of espionage, the FSB and Russia.

The story rattles along at breakneck sped and the main character is beautifully drawn and developed.

I really enjoyed and was captivated by this book.
This book settles any debate (if there ever was one)...Robert Dugoni can write virtually anything.

I've been obsessed with the Tracy Crosswhite series for years, and The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell was one of my favorite books...and one of my only 5 star reviews...of 2018.

Admittedly, going in, I was a little unsure about The Eighth Sister. Spy novels have never really intrigued me, and often times, when involving foreign countries, I've found them downright confusing. Not so with this story. Robert Dugoni has such an incredible ability to pull even reluctant readers in. His writing is always clear, sharp, on-point, and easy to understand. And his characterization is probably the best I've read. I'm always so incredibly vested in his characters. In this novel, I (oddly) loved both the protagonists and the antagonists.

Beginning and ending in Seattle (Dugoni's home town), this story takes it's readers around the world, with fast-paced, old-school espionage. Throughout the first 60'ish% of the novel, the action never stopped. The final 40% morphed into a legal thriller. Different, but just as tantalizing.

One reason I didn't give this book a higher rating...there were many unanswered questions. Beyond that, the two sections lacked cohesiveness, which made the story, at times, feel a little clunky.

Nevertheless, I'd recommend this book to anybody who enjoys fast-paced, action-packed, legal thrillers, with a twist of espionage. Robert Dugoni never disappoints.

3.5 spy-worthy stars!

**Many thanks to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer, and Robert Dugoni for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Robert Dugoni, Author of "The Eighth Sister" has written an intense, captivating, intriguing,  chilling and thrilling,  suspenseful, action packed, page-turning novel. The Genres for thiovel are Espionage, Mystery, Suspense, Legal and Criminal Thriller. .  This novel plays out like a game of chess, or cat and mouse game. There are twists and turns. The time-line for the story is in the present and goes to the past when it pertains to the characters or events of the story.  The author describes has dramatic cast of characters as complex and complicated.

Former CIA Agent Charles Jenkins, is now in his sixties with a young family.He is also working  in a security consulting business with some other partners , which is going bankrupt.  It seems luck might be with him or not, but a blast from his CIA past, his former boss approaches him and offers him the opportunity to work for the CIA and save some lives and also make some fast cash.  Jenkins will have to go to Russia, and locate some people. This is dangerous, and if his mission goes off, the CIA will disavow any knowledge of him or his activity. Now this has become a game of life and death.

It seems that Jenkins has some very formidable Russian agents after him. Not only that, if Jenkins makes it home, he has other major problems .I would highly recommend this riveting novel for readers who enjoy suspenseful stories.
This is the first in what is apparently a new series featuring Charles Jenkins, a friend and associate of David Sloane, the lawyer in another Dugoni series. It's my first taste of Dugoni's writing and I'm hooked!

Charlie is a black man who was once a CIA agent back in the 70s. He's now 64 and married to a much younger woman who is pregnant with his second child. He has a security business in Seattle, WA that is in danger of going belly up because his major client has stopped paying on time and he can't meet his payments to his contractors. His home AND his business are endangered.

So when his former CIA chief shows up at his front door with an offer to do an important job for them in Russia, Charlie can't refuse. Keeping his wife in the dark, he heads off on what should be a simple mission...but it is anything but!

The book really has two parts: one, an excellent spy story and two, a tense courtroom drama. This book really keeps the reader on the edge of her seat turning those pages right till the end.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely be looking forward to reading more of Dugoni's thrillers, etc.

I was provided with an arc of this book by the publisher via NetGalley for my honest review. Many thanks for the opportunity and introduction to this author.
This book about a theoretical eight women spies is actually two books. The first half is a really story about spies and espionage. The second half is a courtroom drama. I liked both portions but they felt ill suited to each other. I kept thinking that maybe some espionage would pop back up in the second half to bring it full circle, but it really didn't. There was an attempt but it felt like it fell flat. In addition to this discord, I felt that there were some really obviously unanswered questions that somewhat shook the foundation of the whole story. Despite these issues, I did like the story and enjoy the book and will definitely read the next in the series. It just was not the quality I have come to expect from Mr. Dugoni.
An intense and thrilling book of international espionage. I enjoyed every minute of this USA vs Russia clandestine chess game which brought back thoughts of the old Cold War yet remains relevant today. Memorable characters and I especially enjoyed the relationship dynamics between Jenkins and Paulina. Only my second Dugoni book and so different from my first, The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell (great book I highly recommend!). Look forward to reading the next in this new series.
Part spy thriller, part legal thriller, Robert Dugoni's latest novel is a fast paced, well developed story that kept me reading late into the night. Loved the characters, the intriguing details and the suspense. Highly recommended!