Cover Image: Flower Talk

Flower Talk

A book about how plants communicate with animals in order to pollinate using their colors. Lots of flower-related puns. Sassy cactus narrator. Colorful watercolor illustrations of flowers. There was a lot of information I didn’t even know, that different colors attract different types of animals (red attracts birds, for example, and red flowers don’t have strong perfumes because birds have bad senses of smell; moths and bats are attracted to white flowers because white stands out against the dark backdrop of nighttime and have strong perfumes; and butterflies are more drawn to the shape than the color). I enjoyed this book, for both the educational and creative content.
Love it! It will make a great addition to a gardening collection for kids. The illustrations are colorful and the information is written in an amusing and understandable level for grade schoolers.  Even younger children may enjoy this book one on one. Great story!

I wasn't able to download this book as I only have a Kindle, but have found a hard copy and reviewed it!
I can't say as I'd ever put much thought into why flowers come in different colors. I knew that certain creatures pollinated specific flowers. I didn't realize just how much color played into that selection. As a picture book, this is a very brief overview and I'm sure color selection is more complicated than is represented here. Still, it's a solid introduction to the idea, walking us through the general assumptions we can make about pollination based on color and scent alone.
Flower Talk: How Plants Use Color to Communicate is a children's book written by Sara Levine and illustrated by Masha D'yans. It is currently scheduled for release on March 5 2019. This informational picturebook features a cantankerous talking cactus as a narrator, revealing to readers the significance of different colors of flowers in terms of which pollinators (bees, bats, birds, etc.) different colors "talk" to.

Flower Talk is a fun and entertaining book that teachers readers a little something about plants and pollination. The cranky cactus presenting the information includes a few plant puns as he informs readers how the colors of a plants flower can attract certain pollinators, and why they use each particular color. While the text of the story does not go into tremendous detail, there is a deeper look at the information at the end of the book to help explain the process for those that want to know more. I liked the illustrations, and think the balance of fact and fun is close to perfect when you keep the target audience in mind. The only thing I would really have wanted was maybe a list of further resources to help interested readers and their parents or caregivers to explore further if so inclined.
I loved this! We loved this! You'll love this (at least I hope you will)! Flower Talk was funny, witty, and educational. The narrator is the purple cactus you see on the cover, and the kiddos and I enjoyed its grumpy, straightforward attitude. I laughed! We laughed! You'll laugh (at least I hope you will)!

Flower Talk is a story about plants and how they survive. It talks about pollination, how a flower's coloring attracts certain insects, and what those insects do to ensure their survival. Butterflies are more likely to land on this color, while bees prefer that one, and flies are (unsurprisingly) attracted to the flowers that smell terrible.

"The flower gets pollen, but the fly gets nothing. The only rotten thing around here is the deal."

This may be a children's book, but I immediately wanted a copy for myself our shelves! We've read it many, many times now, and it's quickly becoming a bedtime favorite -- especially with the amazing illustrations! The pictures grab your attention and make it really hard to turn the page.

Flower Talk is the whole package: a fantastic story with wonderful illustrations and a little education on the side (there's additional information at the end that's pretty great, too).

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on February 9, 2019.
This is a fun and spunky book for kids...and I learned a lot myself! I read this book for a profile on the author and for a podcast I produce.
Flower Talk, by Sara Levine, is a nonfiction picture book about the important symbiotic relationship between flowers and animals and it is told from the point of view of a very cute little cactus. As a former teacher, I was practically giddy while reading through this book because it speaks so perfectly to elementary aged kids. It is informative, witty, and full of beautiful watercolor illustrations, and I am sure that this book would keep an entire class fully engaged.
I learned something new from reading this book as well! I knew that flowers are often brightly colored and fragrant because this makes them attractive to bugs and birds, but what surprised me was that specific colors and smells attract certain animals. For example, flowers that are blue, purple, and yellow attract bees, whereas red flowers are primarily pollinated by birds, because bees cannot see the color red.
I give this book five stars because of its clear and engaging message, and because it would fit seamlessly into a series of lessons on living systems and symbiosis, as well as a unit about plant life cycles. I will certainly recommend this book to my friends who are teachers and librarians.
Thanks, Lerner Publishing Group for allowing me to read and review this interesting book.

I liked this book very much. Although I didn’t understand the mean tone in the beginning, like there was no real need for it, other than that, the book is full of interesting facts. I am an educator and absolutely favor using personification to explain scientific concepts. Some reviewers and scholars might have a problem with this, but, after years of experience working with children ages 0 to 12, I have come to the understanding that children find textbooks utterly dull. Why miss a teaching opportunity just because it is not politically correct? I teach through play, puppets, games, art, etc. I also teach through books that use characters to immerse the child into an otherwise dull subject. I’m sorry scientists, but not all children find facts something to die for. My review is also in response to those scholars who can’t stand teaching children a complex subject through the use of creative methods. I don’t think children learn because they’re looking forward to becoming scientists or engineers or scholars. Children are trying hard to make sense of the world they were just brought to. It is our responsibility to facilitate facts so that they can become interested in high concepts and become scientists, engineers, etc. of the future.

Why do I recommend this book?
Readers (children and adults alike) learn about the significance colors have for pollinators.
A cactus narrates the many ways flowers ‘talk’ to the different species that pollinate them.
Vibrant watercolor illustrations. You get a feeling for the different moods depending on the colors being explained.
It is funny and educational, something I strive for when I teach a complex subject.
Backmatter introduces the child to pollination facts, a list of things we can do to protect pollinators, bibliography, and an index of resources for further exploration.
Flower Talk by Sarah Levine is a cute read that teaches kids about the wonder of flower communication. The narrator is an adorably grumpy cactus who takes the reader through the pollination process. Next up is flower colours, and who they are communicating with. There are lots of neat facts in this short read! Like bees can't see red. How cool is that! My cubs and I read this together and we all enjoyed it. A great addition to any nature-loving child's library, or for use in classrooms. Recommended!

***Many thanks to Netgalley and Lerner Publishing for providing an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This is a book about how plants use different colors to talk to animals. These animals help the plants pollinate and spread their seeds. Although the illustrations are bright and colorful they are just a bit too much.
Spiritedly told from the view of a loud purple cacti, FLOWER TALK, gives an overview of what certain colours mean to the birds, insects, and bugs they are trying to attract! Forget “red is for love!” Nah, red is for attracting hummingbirds and butterflies! Go beneath the petals and see what lies at the heart of colour attraction and learn what your garden is trying to tell you. Sara and Marsha perfectly craft a world that is perfect for science classes, those interested in STEM, and this interested in stems.
Very cute book that teaches the importance of flowers and nature. Adorable story with fantastic illustrations. A hit with my boys.
I loved this book. I have not seen a book like it. I am excited to introduce this book to kids and get the thinking of plants in a new way. It made me.
ARC Copy...lavish water colours beautifully portray the lessons and languages of flowers along side the humorous grumpy cactus's narration. Sure to encourage the kiddie's interests about nature.
We enjoyed this book a lot! We learned new things and I see us reading it over and over. The negative part are the illustrations, although it looks like they were a lot of work to make, they are not attractive and they were sometimes, even confusing. It’s a shame because the book is pretty cool. But they are so many children’s books out there with catchy beautiful illustrations, that this one might get lost, and that would be a shame.
Flower Talk: How Plants Use Color to Communicate by Sara Levine
Illustrated by: Masha D’yans
Publisher: Lerner Publishing Group
ISBN:9781541519282
Publish Date: March 5. 2019

Thanks to NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group for the ebook ARC of Flower Talk: How Plants Use Color to Communicate by Sara Levine and illustrated by Masha D’yans in exchange for an honest review.

This book features a cantankerous talking cactus as a narrator, revealing to readers the significance of different colors of flowers in terms of which pollinators (bees, bats, birds, etc.) talk to a fun non function of presentation of science info that may be new to many kids — and adults!

I give this book a rating of 3 stars. This book has nice colorful illustrations and a lot of good facts. I was going to read to my four year old daughter, she wasn’t really interested in the story, she did love the colorful pictures though.

#FlowerTalk #NetGalley
3,5/5. Brief explanation of pollination all beautifully illustrated. I'm not sure this will reach a large public, but it's a decent enough introduction to the subject and easy enough to go in for young reader. Good!