The Alamo Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2019

Will they both survive the battle of the Alamo?

When I saw the title of this book, The Alamo Bride, I got pretty excited about reading it. I've been fascinated by the Alamo since childhood when I heard the old Marty Robbins song from my parents generation, as well as watching the Fess Parker and John Wayne movies when I was a little older.

I've only read a couple of Kathleen Y'Barbo's books but I knew I would be in for a treat when I read this one. And I was not disappointed in any way. I really enjoyed every minute of the book! To be honest, I think that of the few books that I've read in the Daughters Of The Mayflower series this is probably pretty close to my favorite one so far.

I already knew a little bit about the Alamo but not as much about the events surrounding it so I was quite intrigued  by how the author wove her story around those events and made the historic Texas landscape and its people come to life on the fiction page.

The Alamo Bride was an excellent addition to the Daughters Of The Mayflower series and Kathleen Y'Barbo was the perfect person to pen this tale of danger and romance during one of the most pivotal times in Texas history.

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are entirely my own.)
This is the seventh book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series and it can be read as a stand-alone although Ellis is the great-granddaughter from the couple in book 2 of the series, The Pirate Bride. I liked both Ellis and Clay and they were a good foil for each other. The hint of danger related to Clay’s mission felt promising and I was looking forward to how it would fit in with the events of the Alamo. However, the pacing of the story felt uneven. There is a lull in the middle while Clay is injured/has memory loss and Ellis is unsure whether to trust him. Then the action picks up towards the end and everything happens so quickly. Clay’s original mission falls to the wayside and is resolved off the page. There was a lot of historical information and it’s clear the author did her research but the Alamo is really not a major part of this plot so the title is a bit misleading. I liked Ellis’s spunk and the interactions with her grandfather. Overall, this story had some likable characters, light spiritual content, and interesting historical information. Since I read The Pirate Bride, I was glad to catch up with Maribel and Jean-Luc’s descendants.
* I received this book free of charge from NetGalley.
For me this book moved a little slower than the others in the Daughters Of the Mayflower series but I enjoyed it especially once the characters ended up at the Alamo. Good story of faith and loyalty and plenty of interesting history.
A Great book !
 I got totally engrossed in this story and truly learned some new things ! It made me want to read the other books in this series that Barbour Publishing is putting out. This was such rich historical story it was like being there! Kathleen Y'Barbo really made history come alive in this book and it is filled with adventure.
 While it was not my favorite book by Kathleen Y'Barbo it really was a great read and kept me interested throughout the whole book.
 I give this book 4 out of 5 stars, for good history, lovely characters, and family focus.
 I volunteered to read this book from Barbour Publishing in return for my honest opinion. The thoughts and opinions expressed within are my own.
My favorite thing about The Daughters of the Mayflower Series is that each book brings out a lesser- known part of a well-known time in history. We all know the story of the Alamo, but about the months leading up to that infamous battle? I enjoyed learning about the war for Texas independence as it built up to that part of the story. This is the second book that Mrs. Y’Barbo wrote for this series, and I loved how she brought references to the characters from her first book, The Pirate Bride. It was fun to revisit the strength and character of Maribel Cordoba and see that same strength and stubbornness reflected in her great-grandmother. Very little of the story takes place at the Alamo itself, so I found the title to be a little confusing. I enjoyed the author’s pain-staking attempts to keep the story as historically accurate as possible. The Alamo Bride is a combination of history, romance, suspense, and biblical truth. The banter back and forth between Clay and Ellis brings a bit of humor to the story as well.
Favorite quote: “I don’t believe in luck… The Lord takes care of us in His own way. If we manage to have something go our way, we figure it’s because it is His way.”
The Alamo Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #7)
by Kathleen Y'Barbo

Bent history, or at least the author says she bends history to make a story. The Alamo Bride is set in the tremulous times of the Texas revolution. Ellis Dumont is a New Orleans immigrant to Texas. Her family started a ship building industry in Texas just before the events of the Texas Independence. She is witness to the events of skirmish battles, and troop movements before the Alamo. Her little brothers find a wounded man in a neighbors boat. His recovery and aid absorb her and her families interest. When news of her brothers capture and imprisonment reach her, she takes after her rebellious ancestress and attempts to save her brother.  The story shows the power of love and commitment.
A historical christian romance taking place during 1835 during the Alamo.  Ellis, a strong female character is a healer who finds a wounded solider, Clay, on her family's land.  She nurses him back to health but is uncertain who he is and if she can trust him.  She is not sure which side he is on for the war.  What makes matter worst is that Clay lost his memory and does not recall how he was shot.

An adventure packed story that you would enjoy reading.  This is  the 7th book in the Mayflower series which can be read as a stand alone.  The author did an amazing job describing the time period.  There are certain story lines that were rushed but overall a good story.  If you like historical romance pick this one up.
"Remember the Alamo!" - a battle cry in Texans' struggle for independence from Mexico, but in book review terms it might mean, "Remember to read The Alamo Bride" by Kathleen Y'Barbo.  This book was set in 1836 Texas and is the 7th book of The Daughters of the Mayflower series.  I have read almost every book in this series and feel like all books could be read as stand alone books.  However, this book does mention a previous main character from The Pirate Bride - Maribel Cordoba Valmont- which was fun for me since she was one of my favorite leading ladies of all the books I've read so far.  What makes this series enjoyable for me is that they all feature spunky, strong willed women who never back down from their convictions.  Ellis Valmont, the woman featured in this book, is definitely no exception.  From the get go, she is courageous and determined to help heal an unconscious man (Clay Gentry) with serious injuries who was found in a boat near a nest of snakes.  (Sorry pal, you wouldn't have caught me going near you even with a ten foot pole.)  When Ellis finally does get him to her family's barn, she treats his wounds and waits for him to wake up.  While watching him sleep, Ellis takes notes of unusual comments he mutters about hidden treasure and noteworthy people.  Unfortunately, when Clay does awaken, he has lost much of his memory and Ellis finds herself no closer to answering all of her questions about who Clay really is and what was he doing near her family's home in Quintana, TX before he was injured.  Can Ellis trust Clay enough to help her rescue her brother Thomas who is imprisoned at the Alamo? Most importantly, can she trust the feelings that she is starting to have for this mysterious man?
The Alamo Bride features a fast moving story line, memorable characters, and rich historical details from the 1836 time period.  As an added bonus, the author's notes at the back of the book may inspire other history lovers to feel inspired to seek out additional information about the Texans' fight for independence.  Thanks to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for their Advanced Reader's Copy of this book.  All views expressed in this review are my honest opinions of the book.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley, this review is my personal opinion.

This is the first book I read of the series Daughters of the Mayflower, so been this the number 7 at the beginning I had trouble to understand several things in the plot. Even so, I know each book can be read individually.

In the first chapter we meet Clay, he is an important mission working along General Houston in order to free Texas. In order to do that he needs money, sadly it gets stolen it and so he decided to go in search of a mystery treasure his grandfather have tell him. And then he got shot and is later found by Ellis, with the help of her mom they help him to recover of his woods. This takes a while and so Ellis is instructed by his mom and grandfather to not trust Clay until they are sure he is not a traitor.

What I truly like about this book is that Clay has to struggle with his memory loss and depend on God to move on. And Ellis needs to believe in God's protection for her and her family.

So, if you like history, romance, and an unexpected end.  This book is a good choice.
Another great book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series! I absolutely devoured this one! It was a "one click" read for me and every second was perfect. I love how much time and research this series gets from each author as they put their best writing skills forward and produce such a beautiful novel.!
This was my first book to read of this series. I found it hard to put down once I started. The story is perfect and the writing was amazing. I thought the characters were well developed and the twists kept it interesting. Great read!
I started reading Kathleen  Y’Barbo  books because of the Daughters of Mayflower series.  The Alamo Bride was one of two books she wrote in the series.   And it has me completely hooked on her books.   They are a good mix of historical fiction and romance.  I was not able to put The Alamo Bride down.
	 While set at the Alamo, the story focuses on Ellis and a man who had to be nursed back to health. It does include a lot of Texas history.  While this book is part of a series, it can easily be read as a standalone.  But the entire series is well worth reading.
	I received a complimentary copy of TheAlamo Bride from Net Galley with no requirements.
I read as much as I could of this It's a great book for history and romance,I'm sure the series is wonderful just not my cup of tea!! The writing and story line wonderful for people who are interested!!
Ellis Dumont is just like her ancestors. She's stubborn and adventurous. Clay Gentry is a man on a mission and his family history is one of scandal, bravery and friendships in high places. Will his mission and her mistrust lead them on the adventures of a life time or will a war for Texas independence come between two people falling in love?

Clay Gentry is about to meet a contact in New Orleans to deliver funds to Sam Houston for the Texas fight for independence. When the meeting ends badly and the funds stolen. Clay must come up with a new way to raise the money in time. The only way is to join the New Orleans Grays, the military army going to Texas to help in the fight. It will give him the chance to hunt for the scandalous family treasure that his pirate grandfather buried long ago. Traveling alone to take medication to her grandfather, she arrives only to over hear an argument with an old rival of her grandfather's and troubling information about her father and brother. The grandfather makes Ellis promise not to come by herself again because of the war raging through Texas for independence.  As they're visiting the ship carrying the New Orleans troops arrives. Ellis goes to the dock and greet the soldiers and welcomes them to Texas. Upon arriving they are made citizens of Texas. Clay looks up from taking the oath and signing the documents to see Ellis standing there and they're an immediate connection. Clay takes a walk after his fellow soldiers go to bed looking for the family treasure. He comes across Ellis's grandfather on the beach. A little while later after he finds the next clue to the treasure he hears voices speaking Spanish and tries to get away from the man who are spies. He doesn't make it and is injured but is able to pull himself into the canoe type boat they left behind.  The next day out doing chores Ellis and her 2 younger brothers come across the boat with the injured soldier inside. She sends the brothers for their mother and realizes that its the same man she had an instant reaction to yesterday. Close to death they take Clay back to their homestead and nurse him back to health. As Ellis is taking care of his fevered ramblings has her wondering who's side of the war is he on. She finds his secret hiding place and has been taking notes of what he's saying. A visit from her grandfather has her becoming stubborn about taking care of the soldier. A storm destroys the building that they're keeping him in and he saves Ellis's life. Clay doesn't remember much of his past. Ellis doesn't know if she can trust him even when she learns of his mission. Her family is sent to New Orleans for safety but Ellis won't go. Her grandfather moves in to be a chaperon. A letter from her father has them discussing going to the Alamo to save her prisoner brother. Ellis and Clay travel to the Alamo only to realize its to dangerous to stay. They head a few miles down the road where she comes a healer for the village and makes friends. Clay returns to his New Orleans Grays and works on releasing her brother. A plan comes together to bring Ellis and her brother together but Clay shows up and takes her to safety first. They go to the Alamo and meet up with her brother who was behind the meeting that was planned for Ellis. Her brother isn't thrilled with the relationship between them. Ellis goes back to her healing and is running low on her supply of herbs and plants and goes searching. She's out longer than expected and comes back running into an enemy soldier and is shot. Clay is beside himself with grief. They send her back to where is was staying before and is mostly unconscious but as she heals her grandfather comes for her and takes her back to New Orleans.  Before leaving they hear some tragic news. The whole family is grieving their loss when they get some surprising and wonderful news and new member of the family. They are getting ready to celebrate a homecoming when a special package arrives for Ellis. The one person she thought never to see again has come back. Clay only wants to kiss Ellis for now but he has so much that he wants to tell her before they begin their future.
The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo is the 7th installment in The Daughter’s of the Mayflower series. From its first adventure traveling on the mayflower to the revolutionary war to the Wild West; the  Alamo bride takes you to 1836 Texas in the days leading up to the battle of the Alamo.

Claiborne Gentry has an important mission to complete, commissioned by none other than the president himself. The problem is he can’t remember his own name let alone which side of the war he’s on.

Ellis Valmont is the great granddaughter of  Marabelle Cordova whom we met in the Pirate Bride. With the same fiery red hair, feisty personality and courageous spirit Ellis is a force to be reckoned with. When Ellis finds a man dressed in New Orleans gray nearly dead near her home, she makes it her mission to nurse him back to health. But after days of outlandish ramblings from the fevered man Ellis is left questioning whether or not he is friend or foe.

A wild adventure ensues as they both end up in the midst of one of the most pivotal events in the Texas history.

Kathleen Y’Barbo holds the readers attention with her well researched look into Texas’s history, her characters were well developed and the storyline was exciting and enjoyable. The only thing I found lacking was the ending seemed a bit rushed in my opinion.

Lovers of American history are sure to enjoy this fast paced read full of faith, adventure and romance.
I received a pre-publication copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Alamo Bride is the 7th book in The Daughters of the Mayflower series. The author, Kathleen Y’Barbo, admits to “bending history” just a bit in order to have the citizens of Quintana and Velasco greet the soldiers who came from New Orleans. You see, it was there that Ellis first saw Clay.
Clay (Claiborne William Andre Gentry) was sent by President Andrew Jackson to deliver funds to General Sam Houston. The plan was discovered, Clay was attacked, and lost his memory. Ellis Valmont found him shot and beaten, lying in a damaged boat floating in the reeds of the river near her home. She and her mother nursed him back to health, and all the while, Clay was becoming more and more attracted to Ellis. Will Clay's memory return? Should Ellis trust him? Is she safe with him? He could be a spy for the other side, you know.
All the books of this series are historically accurate, romantic, and often funny as the characters come to life. They are also wonderful examples of Christian fiction. History buffs and lovers of romance novels will love The Alamo Bride, and this entire series.
What Makes This Reviewer Grumpy?
•	Misplacement of the word “only” in sentences – a common mistake we all make when speaking, but more noticeable when written;
•	missing commas;
•	“try and stay”, rather than the correct “try to stay”;
•	repeatedly using “bring” when it should be “take” – a modern day mistake not found in the 19thcentury;
•	using “further” when “farther” is needed;
•	some verb tense disagreement.
Look for me online as The Grumpy Book Reviewer.
Even though I have skipped around in this multi-author series, they can all be read as stand alone novels. They're all based on a member of the family, in different places and/or time periods.
This story has a lot of fun historical information in it (I am a sucker for Texan history) and it was fun to read. It was a clean romance, but pretty evenly to fast paced.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing/NetGalley and was under no obligation to post a review.
I will post this on my Goodreads, Amazon, and Bookbub accounts.
This is book seven in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. Even though I probably missed some history in the Dumont family I had no problem jumping into this book and fully understanding it.
If you enjoy reading historical romance with adventure and some mystery you will enjoy this book.

Ellis Dumont is an independent, loving woman who during a time of war is not sure who is friend or foe. When she must help the handsome Clay Gentry, she discovers in his feverish state he mutters some wild stories. Ellis must decide if he is friend or foe. And just what all his ramblings may mean. There are many surprises and adventure in this novel. I do wish we would have learned a bit more about the truth behind Clay's ramblings but overall this was a good read.
Author: Kathleen Y'Barbo
Publisher: Barbour Books, Feb. 1, 2019
Format: ebook, Kindle
Series: Daughters of the Mayflower, #7

Personal Rating: 4.46
Star Rating: 4/5
This is wonderful seventh addition to The Daughters of the Mayflower series. This is a unique series because it is written by various authors and each book takes us on a different historical adventure. If you read them all you will sail on the Mayflower in 1620 and almost get killed on a pirate ship in 1725. In 1760 you'll be involved with the French and Indian War. You'll travel through Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia during the Revolutionary War in 1774, and in 1794, you'll head westward through Cumberland Gap. You'll also get to know a spy during the War of 1812. Although these books are fiction, you'll enjoy learning tidbits from history.

The latest adventure, The Alamo Bride, is set in 1836 and is written by Kathleen Y'Barbo. Clay, a bilingual man with secrets, gets shot and drops unconscious. Ellis, who is knowledgeable of healing herbs, finds him and nurses him. She, being strong-willed and full of determination, fights to save his life while trying to learn all she can about him. Is he friend or foe? She's wisely advised to consider him dangerous until he proves himself.

I enjoyed the interaction among the characters and appreciated the protection theme of Psalm 91 throughout the whole book. Kathleen Y'Barbo also authored a previous book in this series and I enjoyed the references to pirate bride, Maribel, Ellis' great grandmother. For me, this connection gave life to the story.

Although there was less prominent action scenes in this book compared to the others, there was still lots of underlying subtle mental action as Ellis nursed Clay back to health. Clean romantic tension kept the book alive as their relationship developed.

Thank you Barbour Books, via NetGalley, for an advanced ebook for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Kathleen Y'Barbo's The Alamo Bride is the seventh entry in the Daughters of the Mayflower multi-author series from Barbour. Each short novel may be read as a stand-alone, though a quick review of the genealogy chart included is always a good idea.

Ellis Dumont doesn't know if the wounded man she is caring for in her family's barn is on the side of the Mexican Army, and neither does he once fully awakened for the healing herbs she has used to keep him asleep. What Claiborne "Clay" Gentry does know is that he'll do what is necessary to protect the pretty healer and complete his mission, if only he can figure out what it was.

Set during the Texas Revolution, this is yet another entry in this series that involves a historical military conflict. While the actual Battle at the Alamo is peripheral to the story, there is plenty of adventure and peril, leading to a bit of sweet romance between Clay and Ellis.

Running through this story are themes, blatantly and repeatedly stated, of impossible decisions and God's covering. And while there were some minor continuity issues that may niggle, this is an entertaining and enjoyable piece of historical romantic fiction that is sure to please.

This review refers to a library e-book, since I wasn't able to read the digital galley I received approval for on NetGalley prior to publication. All opinions expressed are my own.