The Alamo Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2019

"Remember the Alamo!" - a battle cry in Texans' struggle for independence from Mexico, but in book review terms it might mean, "Remember to read The Alamo Bride" by Kathleen Y'Barbo.  This book was set in 1836 Texas and is the 7th book of The Daughters of the Mayflower series.  I have read almost every book in this series and feel like all books could be read as stand alone books.  However, this book does mention a previous main character from The Pirate Bride - Maribel Cordoba Valmont- which was fun for me since she was one of my favorite leading ladies of all the books I've read so far.  What makes this series enjoyable for me is that they all feature spunky, strong willed women who never back down from their convictions.  Ellis Valmont, the woman featured in this book, is definitely no exception.  From the get go, she is courageous and determined to help heal an unconscious man (Clay Gentry) with serious injuries who was found in a boat near a nest of snakes.  (Sorry pal, you wouldn't have caught me going near you even with a ten foot pole.)  When Ellis finally does get him to her family's barn, she treats his wounds and waits for him to wake up.  While watching him sleep, Ellis takes notes of unusual comments he mutters about hidden treasure and noteworthy people.  Unfortunately, when Clay does awaken, he has lost much of his memory and Ellis finds herself no closer to answering all of her questions about who Clay really is and what was he doing near her family's home in Quintana, TX before he was injured.  Can Ellis trust Clay enough to help her rescue her brother Thomas who is imprisoned at the Alamo? Most importantly, can she trust the feelings that she is starting to have for this mysterious man?
The Alamo Bride features a fast moving story line, memorable characters, and rich historical details from the 1836 time period.  As an added bonus, the author's notes at the back of the book may inspire other history lovers to feel inspired to seek out additional information about the Texans' fight for independence.  Thanks to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for their Advanced Reader's Copy of this book.  All views expressed in this review are my honest opinions of the book.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley, this review is my personal opinion.

This is the first book I read of the series Daughters of the Mayflower, so been this the number 7 at the beginning I had trouble to understand several things in the plot. Even so, I know each book can be read individually.

In the first chapter we meet Clay, he is an important mission working along General Houston in order to free Texas. In order to do that he needs money, sadly it gets stolen it and so he decided to go in search of a mystery treasure his grandfather have tell him. And then he got shot and is later found by Ellis, with the help of her mom they help him to recover of his woods. This takes a while and so Ellis is instructed by his mom and grandfather to not trust Clay until they are sure he is not a traitor.

What I truly like about this book is that Clay has to struggle with his memory loss and depend on God to move on. And Ellis needs to believe in God's protection for her and her family.

So, if you like history, romance, and an unexpected end.  This book is a good choice.
Another great book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series! I absolutely devoured this one! It was a "one click" read for me and every second was perfect. I love how much time and research this series gets from each author as they put their best writing skills forward and produce such a beautiful novel.!
This was my first book to read of this series. I found it hard to put down once I started. The story is perfect and the writing was amazing. I thought the characters were well developed and the twists kept it interesting. Great read!
I started reading Kathleen  Y’Barbo  books because of the Daughters of Mayflower series.  The Alamo Bride was one of two books she wrote in the series.   And it has me completely hooked on her books.   They are a good mix of historical fiction and romance.  I was not able to put The Alamo Bride down.
	 While set at the Alamo, the story focuses on Ellis and a man who had to be nursed back to health. It does include a lot of Texas history.  While this book is part of a series, it can easily be read as a standalone.  But the entire series is well worth reading.
	I received a complimentary copy of TheAlamo Bride from Net Galley with no requirements.
I read as much as I could of this It's a great book for history and romance,I'm sure the series is wonderful just not my cup of tea!! The writing and story line wonderful for people who are interested!!
Ellis Dumont is just like her ancestors. She's stubborn and adventurous. Clay Gentry is a man on a mission and his family history is one of scandal, bravery and friendships in high places. Will his mission and her mistrust lead them on the adventures of a life time or will a war for Texas independence come between two people falling in love?

Clay Gentry is about to meet a contact in New Orleans to deliver funds to Sam Houston for the Texas fight for independence. When the meeting ends badly and the funds stolen. Clay must come up with a new way to raise the money in time. The only way is to join the New Orleans Grays, the military army going to Texas to help in the fight. It will give him the chance to hunt for the scandalous family treasure that his pirate grandfather buried long ago. Traveling alone to take medication to her grandfather, she arrives only to over hear an argument with an old rival of her grandfather's and troubling information about her father and brother. The grandfather makes Ellis promise not to come by herself again because of the war raging through Texas for independence.  As they're visiting the ship carrying the New Orleans troops arrives. Ellis goes to the dock and greet the soldiers and welcomes them to Texas. Upon arriving they are made citizens of Texas. Clay looks up from taking the oath and signing the documents to see Ellis standing there and they're an immediate connection. Clay takes a walk after his fellow soldiers go to bed looking for the family treasure. He comes across Ellis's grandfather on the beach. A little while later after he finds the next clue to the treasure he hears voices speaking Spanish and tries to get away from the man who are spies. He doesn't make it and is injured but is able to pull himself into the canoe type boat they left behind.  The next day out doing chores Ellis and her 2 younger brothers come across the boat with the injured soldier inside. She sends the brothers for their mother and realizes that its the same man she had an instant reaction to yesterday. Close to death they take Clay back to their homestead and nurse him back to health. As Ellis is taking care of his fevered ramblings has her wondering who's side of the war is he on. She finds his secret hiding place and has been taking notes of what he's saying. A visit from her grandfather has her becoming stubborn about taking care of the soldier. A storm destroys the building that they're keeping him in and he saves Ellis's life. Clay doesn't remember much of his past. Ellis doesn't know if she can trust him even when she learns of his mission. Her family is sent to New Orleans for safety but Ellis won't go. Her grandfather moves in to be a chaperon. A letter from her father has them discussing going to the Alamo to save her prisoner brother. Ellis and Clay travel to the Alamo only to realize its to dangerous to stay. They head a few miles down the road where she comes a healer for the village and makes friends. Clay returns to his New Orleans Grays and works on releasing her brother. A plan comes together to bring Ellis and her brother together but Clay shows up and takes her to safety first. They go to the Alamo and meet up with her brother who was behind the meeting that was planned for Ellis. Her brother isn't thrilled with the relationship between them. Ellis goes back to her healing and is running low on her supply of herbs and plants and goes searching. She's out longer than expected and comes back running into an enemy soldier and is shot. Clay is beside himself with grief. They send her back to where is was staying before and is mostly unconscious but as she heals her grandfather comes for her and takes her back to New Orleans.  Before leaving they hear some tragic news. The whole family is grieving their loss when they get some surprising and wonderful news and new member of the family. They are getting ready to celebrate a homecoming when a special package arrives for Ellis. The one person she thought never to see again has come back. Clay only wants to kiss Ellis for now but he has so much that he wants to tell her before they begin their future.
The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo is the 7th installment in The Daughter’s of the Mayflower series. From its first adventure traveling on the mayflower to the revolutionary war to the Wild West; the  Alamo bride takes you to 1836 Texas in the days leading up to the battle of the Alamo.

Claiborne Gentry has an important mission to complete, commissioned by none other than the president himself. The problem is he can’t remember his own name let alone which side of the war he’s on.

Ellis Valmont is the great granddaughter of  Marabelle Cordova whom we met in the Pirate Bride. With the same fiery red hair, feisty personality and courageous spirit Ellis is a force to be reckoned with. When Ellis finds a man dressed in New Orleans gray nearly dead near her home, she makes it her mission to nurse him back to health. But after days of outlandish ramblings from the fevered man Ellis is left questioning whether or not he is friend or foe.

A wild adventure ensues as they both end up in the midst of one of the most pivotal events in the Texas history.

Kathleen Y’Barbo holds the readers attention with her well researched look into Texas’s history, her characters were well developed and the storyline was exciting and enjoyable. The only thing I found lacking was the ending seemed a bit rushed in my opinion.

Lovers of American history are sure to enjoy this fast paced read full of faith, adventure and romance.
I received a pre-publication copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Alamo Bride is the 7th book in The Daughters of the Mayflower series. The author, Kathleen Y’Barbo, admits to “bending history” just a bit in order to have the citizens of Quintana and Velasco greet the soldiers who came from New Orleans. You see, it was there that Ellis first saw Clay.
Clay (Claiborne William Andre Gentry) was sent by President Andrew Jackson to deliver funds to General Sam Houston. The plan was discovered, Clay was attacked, and lost his memory. Ellis Valmont found him shot and beaten, lying in a damaged boat floating in the reeds of the river near her home. She and her mother nursed him back to health, and all the while, Clay was becoming more and more attracted to Ellis. Will Clay's memory return? Should Ellis trust him? Is she safe with him? He could be a spy for the other side, you know.
All the books of this series are historically accurate, romantic, and often funny as the characters come to life. They are also wonderful examples of Christian fiction. History buffs and lovers of romance novels will love The Alamo Bride, and this entire series.
What Makes This Reviewer Grumpy?
•	Misplacement of the word “only” in sentences – a common mistake we all make when speaking, but more noticeable when written;
•	missing commas;
•	“try and stay”, rather than the correct “try to stay”;
•	repeatedly using “bring” when it should be “take” – a modern day mistake not found in the 19thcentury;
•	using “further” when “farther” is needed;
•	some verb tense disagreement.
Look for me online as The Grumpy Book Reviewer.
Even though I have skipped around in this multi-author series, they can all be read as stand alone novels. They're all based on a member of the family, in different places and/or time periods.
This story has a lot of fun historical information in it (I am a sucker for Texan history) and it was fun to read. It was a clean romance, but pretty evenly to fast paced.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing/NetGalley and was under no obligation to post a review.
I will post this on my Goodreads, Amazon, and Bookbub accounts.
This is book seven in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. Even though I probably missed some history in the Dumont family I had no problem jumping into this book and fully understanding it.
If you enjoy reading historical romance with adventure and some mystery you will enjoy this book.

Ellis Dumont is an independent, loving woman who during a time of war is not sure who is friend or foe. When she must help the handsome Clay Gentry, she discovers in his feverish state he mutters some wild stories. Ellis must decide if he is friend or foe. And just what all his ramblings may mean. There are many surprises and adventure in this novel. I do wish we would have learned a bit more about the truth behind Clay's ramblings but overall this was a good read.
Author: Kathleen Y'Barbo
Publisher: Barbour Books, Feb. 1, 2019
Format: ebook, Kindle
Series: Daughters of the Mayflower, #7

Personal Rating: 4.46
Star Rating: 4/5
This is wonderful seventh addition to The Daughters of the Mayflower series. This is a unique series because it is written by various authors and each book takes us on a different historical adventure. If you read them all you will sail on the Mayflower in 1620 and almost get killed on a pirate ship in 1725. In 1760 you'll be involved with the French and Indian War. You'll travel through Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia during the Revolutionary War in 1774, and in 1794, you'll head westward through Cumberland Gap. You'll also get to know a spy during the War of 1812. Although these books are fiction, you'll enjoy learning tidbits from history.

The latest adventure, The Alamo Bride, is set in 1836 and is written by Kathleen Y'Barbo. Clay, a bilingual man with secrets, gets shot and drops unconscious. Ellis, who is knowledgeable of healing herbs, finds him and nurses him. She, being strong-willed and full of determination, fights to save his life while trying to learn all she can about him. Is he friend or foe? She's wisely advised to consider him dangerous until he proves himself.

I enjoyed the interaction among the characters and appreciated the protection theme of Psalm 91 throughout the whole book. Kathleen Y'Barbo also authored a previous book in this series and I enjoyed the references to pirate bride, Maribel, Ellis' great grandmother. For me, this connection gave life to the story.

Although there was less prominent action scenes in this book compared to the others, there was still lots of underlying subtle mental action as Ellis nursed Clay back to health. Clean romantic tension kept the book alive as their relationship developed.

Thank you Barbour Books, via NetGalley, for an advanced ebook for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Kathleen Y'Barbo's The Alamo Bride is the seventh entry in the Daughters of the Mayflower multi-author series from Barbour. Each short novel may be read as a stand-alone, though a quick review of the genealogy chart included is always a good idea.

Ellis Dumont doesn't know if the wounded man she is caring for in her family's barn is on the side of the Mexican Army, and neither does he once fully awakened for the healing herbs she has used to keep him asleep. What Claiborne "Clay" Gentry does know is that he'll do what is necessary to protect the pretty healer and complete his mission, if only he can figure out what it was.

Set during the Texas Revolution, this is yet another entry in this series that involves a historical military conflict. While the actual Battle at the Alamo is peripheral to the story, there is plenty of adventure and peril, leading to a bit of sweet romance between Clay and Ellis.

Running through this story are themes, blatantly and repeatedly stated, of impossible decisions and God's covering. And while there were some minor continuity issues that may niggle, this is an entertaining and enjoyable piece of historical romantic fiction that is sure to please.

This review refers to a library e-book, since I wasn't able to read the digital galley I received approval for on NetGalley prior to publication. All opinions expressed are my own.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I enjoyed reading this. An interesting story with fun characters. Well written.
In the beginning, we find ourselves listening in on Ellis Dumont and her grandfather's conversation which sets the stage for The Alamo Bride. The setting is Texas right before the seige of the Alamo. Ellis and her grandfather are transplants from New Orleans.

Then we meet the hero Clay Gentry as he is arriving to join the New Orleans Grays who are pledging their allegiance to the newly formed Republic of Texas. Through his thought processes we realize he has a secret mission as well.

Clay sneaks out of camp and is assaulted by unknowns, shot several times, he ends up floating in a small pirogue and discovered the next morning by Ellis and her little brothers.

Ellis ends up nursing Clay and begins to write down his delirious ramblings in the back of her book of Psalms because she suspects that it might be important; however she does not know if he is friend or foe.

As Clay begins to recover physically, he finds his memory prior to his assault is lost, as he continues to recover and bits and pieces of memory begin to surface, he and Ellis find themselves on the road to the Alamo; both are wary partners and yet find they can't resist the emotional tug of their hearts.

This is a very good historical romance, especially intriguing because it happens among the tragic events of the Alamo; however I was disappointed in the ending because several mysteries involving Clay were never fully explained; but I still give it 4 stars. Thanks to Barbour Publishing for allowing me to read this ebook through Netgalley and this review is my honest opinion.
This is a fun read!  It starts out slow, and I have to admit it took me several tries to get into the story. But once you’ve passed the first couple chapters, the characters deepen enough that they are interesting. The dialogue is entertaining and the storyline is engaging yet light. Perfect for reading on a plane or in a doctor’s office.

Rated PG for some light peril
—no sexual content
—no language
—some violence, but not gruesome in nature

I was given a free copy of this ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the 7th book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series, and I seem to enjoy each book more than the last. I knew absolutely nothing about the fight for Texas’ independence, and I found it fascinating. I appreciated that the romance was slow to develop as our leads learned to trust each other. There were some interesting teases to Clay’s backstory, about the apparent scandal that had him leaving New Orleans, and I wish those gaps could have been filled in - I think there was some angst-filled moments wasted.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
As expected from the title this story is centered on the disastrous battle at the Alamo, although (thankfully for them) at a distance. It's more a story of people who lived in the surrounding areas. These people are the descendants of pirates, a continuation in a series that would benefit the reader to read first, but isn't necessary to enjoy this story. Clay goes to Texas undercover as a soldier to aide the Texians financially. Because of all the influx of factions for control, the area is filled with people hiding what side they are on. He is waylaid, shot, and ends up at Ellis' family farm. She is a healer, using local herbs and knowledge that has been handed down to her. Clay survives due to her healing and tenacity, traits they both share. He and Ellis' family join together to fight for what is right. An interesting tale of this area and people surrounding this embattled area, plus the people from without who nevertheless want a piece of the action - for various reasons. No such struggle for control operates in a vacuum. An excellent story to be entertained and learn from history.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher and NetGalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
The Alamo Bride is book 7 in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. It centers around the heroine, Ellis, who is a great-grandaughter of Maribel from the Pirate Bride. I enjoyed the connection in the story line but each book in the series can be read as a stand alone book. Ellis finds the hero, Clay when he is half dead. She and her mom help nurse him back to health in the first half of the book. They are both strong characters and loyal to their cause. They work together throughout the rest of the book to protect those they love and to fight for the freedom of Texas. I read this book the same week I had visited the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas. After learning more about  the battle of the Alamo, I was concerned about the ending of the book. I will not give away the ending but it was not a disappointment. Read the book to discover the delightful ending and to "Remember the Alamo."
There’s a lot of interesting history packed into this book. I enjoyed learning more about the history surrounding the Alamo and the battles for Texas. The author obviously has researched this time period well, and the characters are interesting and well-drawn. The action and suspense built up well in the first part of the story, but I felt the last part lost some of its focus. I still enjoyed it, but I wasn’t riveted. Still, the history and background make it a worthwhile read. The Daughter of the Mayflower series has been interesting. I’ve read most of them, and look forward to reading the rest.