Ladies of Intrigue

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2019

I’m a new fan of Michelle Griep. This was the first I’ve read anything by her and I’m intrigued! I can’t wait to search out more of her books.

Each “Tale” was unique and interesting. Kept my interest and enjoyable.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley on behalf of the Publisher and was under no obligation to post a favorable review.
From the title forward, I was indeed, intrigued. Even the cover pulled me in. Once into the book, I was immersed in the stories. They are all historical, and all three are fantastic. From the 19th century settings to covering topics like smuggling, forgiveness, romance, strong tales, and awesome characters, this book was a smash hit with me.
I am not a big fan of novellas.  But I am a big fan of Michelle Griep.  And so I decided to give Ladies of Intrigue a try.  Let me just say that if all novellas were like these three, I would read a lot more of them.  I really enjoyed these three novellas.  The doctor’s Woman was my favorite.
	The characters were compelling and very intriguing.  A lot is written in very few pages.  They could easily be full length novels.  Each book left me longing for more.  They included a bit of mystery, a little romance, and a little peril.  While short each included enough to keep me interested and reading .  And it was a refreshing change from longer novels.  For those who enjoy Michelle Griep’s books, Ladies of Intrigue is a must read.
	I received a complimentary copy of Ladies of Intrigue from Net Galley with no requirements.
For Michelle Griep fans 4 different stories in one book!  For lovers of these novellas each is has their own unique personality and perspectives.
I like Michelle's stories.  They make me smile and take me away from the real world for awhile. And the best part is it doesn't cost a dime!!
The reader will be drawn into each story and won't want to emerge for awhile.
I'm guilty as charged!! I didn't even hear my husband call my name at least until the 3rd time lol
I strongly recommend this book.
I received this book from Netgalley and no compensations were received. All opinions are my own!!
One can never go wrong picking up a book by Michelle Griep. She has wonderful plots, beautiful settings, and amazing characters. The fact that this book gives you three stories by her makes it even more special! Each story was so different that I really did feel like I was reading three different books. Sometimes in a collection the stories tend to run into each other (which I don’t always care for), and these did not. They had different settings and were held in different decades, which made it easy to keep them separate.

I truly loved every story, but I have to say the first one was my absolute favorite. I knew I liked Isaac the moment he “helped” Helen in the beginning. He really did pull off the Robin Hood style hero, and I thoroughly enjoyed some of the banter between him and Helen. Their story is the classic showing of how appearances can be deceiving. Helen immediately thought Isaac was one of the bad guys, which I could certainly see why. I loved watching Helen get to know who Isaac really was, not just the man she assumed him to be.

Like I said, all the of the stories were excellent. They are short too, so I would imagine they would be quick reads for most readers. And in the midst of all this cold weather we’re having lately, I wouldn’t mind curling up with a blanket and reading these stories all over again!

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own
Beyond the historical romance and dash of mystery promised in the subtitle, the three novellas collected in Ladies of Intrigue share one vital thing in common: Michelle Griep’s stellar, immersive storytelling.

The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady is set on the Cornish Coast and is perfect for fans of English Regencies involving smugglers and thieves. While I had previously read and enjoyed The Doctor’s Woman, it did not stop me from reading it anew and relishing this story of opposites set in the American frontier. Rounding out the trio, A House of Secrets combines political maneuverings and two people unintentionally clashing in their attempts to do good works.

Each heroine is determined but distinct, as are their stories and settings. Whether it is the governess unwittingly becoming involved with a gentleman smuggler, the missionary doctor’s daughter finding herself practically conscripted into assisting an Army doctor struggling with his rigid approach to medicine, or the society miss determined to prove herself despite the perceived lack of support from her politically ambitious fiancé, each of the three heroines finds a bit of danger when others have something to hide.

For fans of historical inspirational romance set in the 19th century, this is a trio of stories that are sure to delight. Recommended.

This review refers to a digital galley read through NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.
In Ladies of Intrigue by Michelle Griep is wonderful stories in one book. With stories spanning from Ireland in 1815 to America in the 1800s In Ireland you meet Helen, a governess daughter of a Minister. In America you meet Emmy, the daughter of a doctor who is working as a doctor's assistant in a fort after her father passed away. Finally you meet Amanda, who wants to help the poor children of her city with a school.

I loved each of these novellas! They each tell the story of a woman with unbreakable spirit who is determined to help others. Mrs. Griep has does a wonderful job of transporting you to a different time and place and brings captivating characters to live. If you love historical romance novels these are a wonderful read. I will be looking for more of Mrs.Griep’s works.

I received a copy of this novel from Celebrate Lit, this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own.
The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady

Helen Fletcher is a surprisingly determined young woman whose past has left her more than a little biased against Isaac Seaton. Yet his complicated past (and present) winds up being the very thing which draws them together. A fresh twist on the robin-hood concept, complicated by questions of biblical morality, this story was fun to read and kept me turning the pages.

The Doctor’s Woman

The romance between Emmaline “Emmy” Nelson and Dr. James Clark was, by far, my favorite of the three entertaining novels included in this collection. Unexpectedly paired to tend to the soldiers and Sioux people encamped at Fort Snelling, the two work side-by-side on a daily basis allowing their friendship to blossom into something more. With several sweet moments that warmed my heart and enough surprises to keep me reading, this is a story I could have kept reading for much longer, despite its satisfying conclusion.

A House of Secrets

A bit reminiscent of the plotline from A Heart Most Certain by Melissa Jagears, this story nevertheless held its own charm. Featuring a heroine struggling to win her father’s heart and a hero fighting to right past wrongs, you can’t help but root for the two of them as they overcome fierce adversaries, troublesome secrets, and life-threatening events.

Overall Conclusion:

This collection takes the reader from a small town on the Cornish Coast of 1815 to the American frontier of 1862 and finally to 1890 St. Paul, Minnesota. With engaging characters and entertaining plot twists as diverse as their settings, all three stories are fully worthy of your time and money.

Overall Rating: 4 of 5 stars
A great collection of of mysterious ladies!
This book was a fun read, all the stories flowed well and they were full of unique ladies with a dash of mystery tossed in. Michelle Griep really takes you all over the world in these stories, I loved it.  I would definitely add this book to your reading list this summer.
I volunteered to read this book from Barbour Publishing in exchange for my honest feedback, the thoughts and opinions expressed with in are my own.
Cornish Coast, 1815
When a prim and proper governess returns to England from abroad, she expects to comfort her dying father—not fall in love with a smuggler. Will Helen Fletcher keep Isaac Seaton’s unusual secret?

The Doctor’s Woman (A Carol Award Winner!)
Dakota Territory, 1862
Emmy Nelson, daughter of a missionary doctor, and Dr. James Clark, city doctor aspiring to teach, find themselves working side by side at Fort Snelling during the Dakota Uprising. That is when the real clash of ideals begins.

St. Paul, Minnesota, 1890
Ladies Aide Chairman, Amanda Carston resolves to clean up St. Paul’s ramshackle housing, starting with the worst of the worst: a “haunted” house that’s secretly owned by her beau—a home that’s his only means of helping brothel girls escape from the hands of the city’s most infamous madam.

If your looking for good clean period dreams look no farther, there short stories with suspense & romance.
I'm going to be looking into more books by Michelle Griep! It's nice to find sweet , clean , proper romances in stories!!!
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher Barbour Books through NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

In Ladies of Intrigue by Michelle Griep you wont just find one but three tales set in the 19th century. Each novella has an inspirational message and a sweet love story with a dash of mystery.

The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady
“You can’t judge all men by the actions of a few. Did you ever stop to think that by shutting off your heart from man, you’ve closed the door to God’s love as well? Those who leave everything in God’s hand will eventually see God’s Hand in everything...even in man."
At a small port in Cornwall, England, a young women finds herself swept up in an adventure when the ship she is traveling on is set upon by smugglers. What she does not count on is finding herself indebted to the handsome rogue, least of all falling in love with him.

The Doctor’s Woman
“You have a healing gift, daughter. It’s not for man to chide what God’s given. Never be ashamed of what you are."
It’s 1862 in Dakota Territory and Emmy Nelson has suffered terrible loss. Her betrothed at the hands of Indians and most recently her father who made it his mission to minister the gospel as well as healing in the backwoods of Minnesota. After growing up under his tutelage, Emmy has become a proficient healer. When she finds herself assisting a city Doctor her plans for her future become more uncertain especially when she finds herself falling in love with him. Dr. James Clark has his future all planned out and it certainly does’t include a post in the middle of no where or a woman. Will they both trust God with their futures and open their hearts to love?

A House of Secrets
“Surely if God created such beauty in the midst of ashes, He could do anything...like help her-for surly it would take heavenly assistance to accomplish the plan she was about to undertake.”
Amanda Carston has been newly appointed chairwoman to the Ladies Aide Society. With this new position she hopes to prove to her father that she, as a woman, can bring value and is deserving of his love. Her fiancé Joseph Blake is the district attorney charged with cleaning up the streets of St. Paul, but a secret from his past threatens all he holds dear.

Michelle Griep’s Ladies of Intrigue is delightful and charming. She does a wonderful job of developing her characters and the storyline in such few pages that each novella is perfectly complete. An enjoyable read!

Review posted on Goodreads, Amazon and Instagram.
As I began reading this book, the copy I purchased, I thought it was very familiar. I did not realize this was a compilation of three previously published novellas by Michelle Griep.
I enjoyed having them all in one book.
A novella written by Michelle Griep has never disappointed me. I found these to be fully engaging, well formed stories.

The Gentleman Smuggler's Lady can be found in The Regency Brides Collection
The Doctor's Woman is in The courageous Brides Collection
House of Secrets is the Of Rags and Riches Romance Collection
I have to say I just love Michelle Grieps stories!
Her characters are deep and endearing, the plot captivating, interesting scenery, and always a dash of mystery and intrigue.
Well this was not the exception! I was not expecting well developed characters, because they were not full length novels, but I was wrong! In a short time I feel I knew this characters and was quickly rooting for them and their HEA's!
I loved each story and especially the heroes and heroines! They are all strongminded, but kind and compassionate as well. Helen and Isaac, Emmy and James, and Amanda and Joseph. All of them ready to put their heart and life on the line for others.
My favorite of all was definitely "The Smugglers Lady". I totally fell in love with Helen and Isaac. Seemed opposite but they were the perfect match, and I loved the adventurous part of the story!
I really enjoyed each one, and I have to say that I would love it if Michelle would expand them into full length novels. There's awesome material there!
A definitely must read! Totally recommended!
I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing via Netgalley. This is my honest and unbiased opinion.
This was my first time reading anything by Michelle Griep and I was not disappointed! Michelle Griep has woven these 3 stories of mystery into an amazing collection! I went away from each of the 3 stories really wanting to know more. Isn't that the mark of a good storyteller?

While I loved each of the stories, I have to say I enjoyed the first story the most! The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady reminded me so much of the show Poldark. The scenery and the smuggling made for a mysterious setting. I highly recommend this book. I'm off to the library to look for more :-)
Cornish Coast, 1815

The Doctor’s Woman (A Carol Award Winner!)
Dakota Territory, 1862

St. Paul, Minnesota, 1890
Great stories and suspense are woven together in this book.  I loved how each story was unique and had underlining themes of faith and some romance.
"If one cannot trust in God's provision, then perhaps one has no business professing a faith at all."

Ladies of Intrigue:  Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery (2019, Barbour) by [author: Michelle Griep|2754194] is a collection
of three historical standalone Christian romances.  Griep is one of my favorite authors, so I didn't pass up the opportunity to read this collection. However, I was surprised when I realized that I had previously read the first story.  So I checked my GoodReads friends' reviews on this book, and courtesy of Karen R.,  found that this collection includes the following republished novellas:

*The Gentleman Smuggler's Lady, originally published in The Regency Brides Collection (This links to my review of the book.)
*The Doctor's Woman, originally published in  "The Courageous Brides Collection
*A House of Secrets, originally published in the Of Rags and Riches Romance Collection

********************
Overall rating:  4.67 stars  (This will show up as 4 stars, because I don't round up.)

*All novellas in this collection:  4.5, 4.5, 5

Novella #1:  4.5  stars

The Gentleman Smuggler's Lady (2017) is set onboard The Nancarrow, and then in Cornwall, England, 1815

The plot:   Issac Seaton is stealing back something that belongs to him, which makes him not quite the typical smuggler.  He and his band of men have been boarding various ships to take what rightfully belongs to Seaton, and nothing more.  This time, on his very last raid, he takes one thing more:  Helen Fletcher.  He knows that under the circumstances, Helen is not safe, so he kidnaps her to in order to protect her.  Helen is not aware of this, so she isn't at all pleased!

Christian elements:

*"I know in my head God is always present, but in my heart?  I cannot credit it."

*"Those who leave everything in God's hand will eventually see God's hand in everything… even in man."

*Helen pretends not to know the whereabouts of her friend Esther in order to protect her.  In response to a man's inquiry, Helen replies, "I do not.  She is a very busy young lady.  Good day, sir."   Saying "I do not." is an outright lie.  Helen justifies the lie to herself by thinking, "It would be wrong to lie - but just as devious to reveal Esther's whereabouts."  This quote could be taken to mean that there is no way out of sinning sometimes, and this is simply not true.  Helen could have simply omitted the statement, "I do not."

Content:

*An unnamed swear and a British swear  Specific instances are quoted below within the spoiler tag.

"A curse flew from the captain's mouth, tingeing the lady's cheeks with a fine shade of scarlet."
     "Oh, hang it all."
     "Blast!"

*Drinking

"Unless you men would prefer to take port beforehand?"
The hero looks forward to "drinking a glass of Madeira."

What I liked:  I really liked the basic plot of the story.  I'm sure it's a challenge to create a hero that seems like a villain.

What I didn’t like:

*See the above comment about telling the truth in the content section of this review.  Truth-telling in Christian fiction is a sticking point for me and I think this should have been worded a bit more carefully.

*While including alcohol may be period appropriate, I think it's preferable not to include it in a Christian fiction story.

***********
Novella #2:  4.5 stars

The Doctor's Woman (2016, Barbour), Minnesota, 1862

The heroine:   Emmaline Nelson, grief-stricken, has lost her physician father, and now needs to move to Aunt Rosamund's in Minneapolis.  However, the nearby fort has an emergency need of a physician, as the new doctor hasn't arrived yet, and Emmy is the best option for now.  She acquiesces, steps in and does as much as she can.  And does it very well.

The hero:  James Clark is the new doctor at the fort, and he arrives some time after Emmy has begun helping out.  He admires the feisty, intelligent Miss Nelson soon upon meeting her.   She intends to leave once he has arrived, but with an unmanageable number of patients to be tended to, Dr. Clark asks her to stay.

" 'I need you.'  He bent toward her, a rogue grin flashing across his face.  'Though I won't admit to saying that in a court of law.' "

Christian elements:

"You have a healing gift, daughter.  It's not for man to chide what God's given.  Never be ashamed of what you are."

"... but is it not true that God doesn't always call us to the comfortable places?"

Content issues:

*Swearing mentioned, unspecified.  "One fellow slapped his hat against his leg with a curse."

*I'd call this one steamy clean, or nearly so.  I've had to skim bits of it again to write this review - it's been a long time since I read it - and the portions that I've read are unquestionably clean.  But the characters definitely have passion.

What I liked:

*"He might release her, but he'd never let her go.  And God help the man who tried to take her from him."

*For a novella, the development is over the course of a few months, and is deep and sweet.  I really enjoyed the story because of this.

What I didn’t like:

*If anything, maybe a bit less of the "steamy clean," but I'd have to read it again to decide that for sure.

Novella #3:  5  stars

A House of Secrets (2017, Barbour), Minnesota, 1890

The heroine:  "As the new Ladies' Aide Society chairwoman," Amanda Carston comes up with a new service project idea - to "restore the old Grigg house into a school for the downtrodden."

The hero:  Joseph Blake, city attorney, brings Amanda to a brothel - to serve papers to shut it down  - on their way to their betrothal dinner.  He's under tremendous pressure by the city to successfully get the brothel shut down.

Christian elements:  Quotes in the story show a Christian worldview.

"Surely if God created such beauty in the midst of ashes, He could do anything….. for surely it would take heavenly assistance to accomplish the plan she was about to undertake."

"...he silently prayed - for truly, what else could he do?"

Content issues:  A brothel is part of the plot.

What I liked:

*Joseph maintained his integrity, even in the face of great opposition.

*This was not a story of boy-meets-girl-and-they-fall-in-love.  This was a different sort of story.  It's nice to change things up every once in a while!

*"Most of the shameless maples had already disrobed for their coming marriage to winter, but a few discreet maidens refused to shed their orange and red leaves."

What I didn’t like:  Coming up empty...

********************
The bottom line:  As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong reading a Michelle Griep book.  I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical Christian novellas!  I am going to just put a reminder here that this is a collection of previously published Barbour novellas - as outlined above - so if you read a lot of those collections, you might want to check your personal library (or your "read" list on Goodreads).

Griep is an author I plan to stay committed to, and I am presently looking forward to [book: The Noble Guardian|41457269].

I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley.
I have read a few of Michelle Griep's books and I am a fan. Ladies of Intrigue is really 3 separate novellas. Each are quick and fun reads. Each is a sweet romance with historical detail and each has a strong well-developed female lead character with a little adventure added in for good measure. This would be a great vacation book for reading on the beach, or curling in front of the fire on a cool winter night!
#LadiesOfIntrigue #NetGalley

Michelle Griep is an amazing writer. She creates world, not just stories. You feel as if you step into the past and watch the stories unfold. It is an awesome experience. This is my second novel of hers and like with the first it was wonderful. It was an escape into another time, one that is hard to put down and this one has three stories so it was very fun. I completely recommend reading this!!

Thank you to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing, Inc. for an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
This book is easy reading. It is light and fun, with a little splash of adventure. The second short story is my favorite, though that is to be expected for this nurse!  Each story is the perfect bite size for doctor’s visits or rainy afternoons. Cuddle up and enjoy this one!

Rated PG for some mild peril in short story #1 and some light adult themes (tactfully handled) in short story #3.
—no explicit sexual content
—no language
—little violence

I was given a free ebook copy by NetGalley for an honest review.