A Merciful Fate

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jan 2019

"A Merciful Fate," book 5 of Kendra Elliot's Merciful Series that centers on FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick. This might book 5, but don't worry, every book in the series is a standalone so you can jump in anytime. In "A Merciful Fate," Mercy Kilpatrick has to solve a 30-year-old armored-car robbery that turned deadly.

Failure is not an option for Kilpatrick because if she did, people she loves and cares for would die. A fascinating read to say the least. “A Merciful Fate” an adrenaline rush and with so many twists and turns, it is easy to second-guess yourself on whodunit.

A great read!
A thrilling read which kept me turning the pages, characters you care for and just brilliantly written.  Great novel!!
It’s another murder mystery to solve for FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick, but this time it strikes too close to home.  An old murder, a possible connection to the biggest bank robbery in the last thirty years and secrets in the small town that both Mercy and Truman love will take a toll in the relationships both of them have built.  The more they try to solve the mystery, the more of their friends and neighbors starts getting hurt.  Now they both have to trust their instincts to find the killer before more of their loved ones gets hurt.
Most of the time when a series featuring a single character as a major figure, there is a tendency that it becomes repetitive but in the case of Kendra Elliot’s Mercy Kilpatrick it just seems everything remains interesting and fresh.  It probably is because it has that perfect blend of high suspense with a small town flavor.  It doesn’t hurt that there is a central romance as well that grounds it and makes it emotional as well.  A Merciful Fate is definitely a page turner making fans happy with the way it unfolds and probably make new fans of the series as well.
Great book. I love Mercy and Truman working together. I liked the bigger role of the supporting characters in this book. I hope to see more of them in future books.
I enjoyed this book. While I believe the mystery part was easy to figure out, it was well written and enjoyable like the other books in the series.
Mercy Kilpatrick is an awesome, bad ass female character. I find her "prepper" lifestyle so interesting. I also love the characters that support her.
Loved this, its brilliant to see mercy and truman's relationship grow as they rely on each other in face of diversity, in face of professional issues and familial dramas.
I love hearing more from Kaylie and Ollie and cant wait to see more of them.
The story centres around finding of bones and solving a decades old bank robbery.
Elliott weaves a story of deception, secrets and mystery as old friends discover old secrets and buried pasts rise up shouting.
An engaging, thrilling story guaranteed to satisfy any fans whether you like romantic suspense or thriller.
A Merciful Fate was another fantastic addition to the Mercy Kilpatrick series with an intriguing case for Mercy that I thoroughly enjoyed.

For FBI agent and survivalist Mercy Kilpatrick, her getaway in the Cascade Foothills is her sanctuary. But when a skeleton is found in those same woods, and that skeleton provides the first lead in thirty years from an unsolved armored-car robbery, Mercy knows those weekends away are on hold while she's looking at the biggest case of her career. As Mercy begins her investigation, it becomes clear that someone in Eagle's Nest is not who they claim to be. After someone starts coming after those involved in the investigation, Mercy knows she needs to catch the perpetrators before someone is killed.

The robbery investigation was incredibly interesting and one of my favorite cases that Mercy has worked on in this series. With the robbery taking place thirty years ago, Mercy had to come at this case from a different angle as there was very little new information outside of the discovery of the skeleton. I enjoyed watching her change her investigative style to suit the case as it definitely reinforced how great she is at her job. While Mercy is dealing with the robbery, Truman is dealing with multiple vandalism incidents involving two women in town. As the book goes on, there are ultimately connections between the two cases and I enjoyed getting to see Mercy and Truman work together. I have to admit I was surprised by who ended up being involved in the robbery, but I liked how the author built up to the reveal.

Mercy continues to grow in this book and I liked how she's become more open and accepting of having others in her life. Her relationship with Truman continues to be fantastic and I love how far the pair have come from their first meeting. I was very happy to see more of Ollie in this book as I really enjoyed his character in the last book. It's interesting watching Ollie adjust to his new life and I love how much he's come to consider Truman and Mercy his family.

Overall A Merciful Fate was just as amazing as the rest of the series and I'm looking forward to the release of the next book later this year. I highly recommend this series if you're looking for some great romantic suspense.
I have loved the previous four books in the Mercy Kilpatrick series, however, it took me quite awhile to get through this one. This story was just not very interesting to me and it felt slow and overly wordy. I do look forward to reading the next book in this series as I'm still loving Mercy and Truman and hope this wedding happens.
While this is the 5th book in the series it is one that stands on its own, and you don’t have to have read the previous books to fully enjoy this story. The book is a great ready, the main characters Mercy Kilpatrick and her fiancé Truman Daly are fun and so likable. A book filled with mystery and hidden secrets that are coming to the surface. So you are entertained and will want to keep reading this book until you finish the last page.
FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick finds bones in her one safe haven.  The bones are connected to an old notorious heist.  Thirty years ago an armored car turned deadly.  The mastermind was captured and four conspirators escaped.  One of them never made it out alive.  Mercy and her fiancé have to figure out who the other players are in the heist before it's too late.  This book had so many twists and turns.  I had a hard time putting the book down.
This series is absolutely unique in the genre of investigative thrillers. Mercy's backstory as a survivalist enhances the plots in each book. In this title, a bank heist from the past is the centre of attention - skeletal remains unearthed in the present day have links to the old case. Along with the agent who investigated the case earlier, Mercy tries to get to the bottom of things.

What follows is a very twisty, thrilling read. It is a good blend of suspense, romance, thrill, crime procedural drama. I am looking forward to the future installments in the series already!
Kendra Elliot brings us another chapter in the life and times of Mercy Kilpatrick.  Mercy has had so many twists and turns in her own life that it's no wonder she can figure out mysteries the way she does.  Kendra Elliot has drawn Mercy's character and her life so well that we feel as if we're right there with her as she digs a little deeper to find the truth.  This is book 5 in this series, but it's a great story all on it's own.  Reading the jacket cover will set the scene for you, but you'll never believe where the story takes you.  If you have not read any Mercy Kilpatrick stories, I feel sorry for you.
I've read every one of this series' installments to date, and I've had my ups and downs with them, but I have to say that they are a suspenseful and enjoyable read for me.  This installment is a good one, I have to admit, and more than a few secrets are revealed by the end of it!

I loved the twists and turns this took!  The book focused on the small town relationships, and how Mercy was fitting into them, despite her job as an FBI agent.  I also liked that there wasn't a lot of overlap between Mercy's case and Truman's until the very end of the book.  I especially loved the growth that was shown by Mercy's father.  It really makes me hopeful for a reconciliation between them in the future!

For me, this wasn't really a standalone book, but it definitely built on what came before in the series, and I am very eager to see where things go from here!
***I received an ebook copy from the publisher in at no cost***

This book is part of Elliott's Mercy Kilpatrick series, but you don't need to read all of the books to be able to understand things. It can be read as a standalone.

This was a fantastic suspense read! I loved that there was a bank heist involved in the book, because those are some of my favorite plots to read. The author did a great job of bringing on the mystery and the suspense in this one. I was glued to my kindle, anxiously awaiting what was coming every time I got to the next page.

I enjoyed the dynamics between the characters. There's a rapport that's clearly been established in previous books, which has now left me feeling the need to go back and start at the beginning. Everything was written so vividly I felt like I was living inside the novel.

Mercy was a bit much at times, but I liked her as a character overall. Elliott has created an amazing cast of characters, and even though the book followed a central plot, each of the characters had unique things going on in his/her life that only added to the excitement.

Give this one a go if you like suspense, mystery, and crime type books.

Four stars to this novel!
FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick has been through so much in the last year my head is starting to spin. Poor girl needs a break! While I understand the need for constant turmoil to make the series continue, her relatives and loved ones must all be fretting at this point and wondering when it's going to be their turn to get shot, raped, abducted or killed! All kidding aside, this is another great installment in the series. While I suppose you could read this as a standalone, there is so much history now with the characters that it makes more sense to start from the begging so you can understand everything that is going on. This time around, Mercy is investigating a thirty-year-old armored-car robbery after the body of one of the robbers turns up. Throw in a tabloid reporter who is nosing around the story, a creepy guy in prison a la Hannibal Lecter (minus the eating people part I guess), an abusive ex who's intent on making his wife pay, and a case of mistaken identity whereby one of Mercy's loved ones gets shot, and you have yourself another fine Eastern Oregon mystery.
This is the 5th book in the Mercy Kilpatrick series - Mercy a Special Agent with the FBI brings a totally different perspective to the FBI agent norm because of her 'Prepper' upbringing.

This books starts with the discovery of a skeleton found in an abandoned cabin - it turns out that the skeleton has a link to a notorious bank robbery , the Gamble-Helmet Heist , 30 years ago . With the assistance of one of the original FBI agents , Art Juergen,  who led the original investigation Mercy tries to trace the other  three remaining gang members .
Meanwhile, there's other trouble in Eagle's Nest......, with two women experiencing malicious damage. Sandy Foster's bed-and-breakfast was targeted by a vandal who broke car windows in her parking lot and spray painted profanity on her wall..... and Bree Ingram's pickup truck and stable doors were defaced by large red X's . Chief Daly and his detectives look into these incidents - unsure whether they are pranks or threats.
However Mercy and Truman start to think that these events - the discovery of the body and the vandalism - may be more than coincidental.. Another twist in the tale is the ambitious young reporter ,Tabitha Huff , who seemed to appear before the corpse identification became public knowledge , getting underfoot along the way.
The cases become more dangerous and intertwined  ……….leading to more death and violence .
This is another fast paced thriller with a plot that throws up twists and surprise along the way ……...until finally the killer is found .

I find this series along with Mercy and Truman's evolving relationship a must read .
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own
Love Kendra Elliot books.  Great psycholigical thriller that I can recommend to other teachers, families and more “grown up” students.
In this fifth outing of the Mercy Kilpatrick series, Special Agent Mercy Kilpatrick is pulled into an infamous bank robbery from thirty years ago. When a skeleton found in an abandoned cabin in the woods turn out to belong to one of the robbers, it is Mercy's job to see if she can finally solve the mystery of what happened to the rest of the gang and the money. Just as Mercy starts re-investigating the robbery with the help of the original FBI agent on the case, a young tabloid reporter shows up in Eagle’s Nest asking questions that are threatening long buried secrets. Who contacted her and brought her to Eagle's Nest. There also appears to be someone else around vandalizing property and making threats. Does it relate to the case or is it something else entirely?

I enjoyed this latest outing in this series. It will appeal to so many with its mix of genres from Romantic Suspense, Mystery, Suspense, and/or thriller. Reader be warned, this series needs to be read in order. Each book builds on the character development and situations from the previous story. I love the characters in this series. Mercy is tough and stubborn as well as having a hard time opening up to others. She is a solitary person, except, Truman is changing her. Truman is the local sheriff and they have saved one another on countless occasions. I love how Mercy and Truman’s relationship is slowly developing. Mercy is learning to balance their relationship with her ingrained prepper beliefs. All of the secondary characters are important to this story development as well. They are becoming fleshed out and are important in helping Mercy learn to trust.  The unsolved robbery is an interesting storyline that plays out well in the story. There were several twists, which was to be expected, that built suspense and had me on the edge of my seat. The final reveal of who was involved in both storylines surprised me, but in hindsight, it fit the story well. The story was fast paced and had me racing through this one in one day.  I definitely recommend this one to those who enjoy mystery, romantic suspense, and police/enforcement stories. The publisher, Montlake Romance, generously provided me with a copy of this book upon request. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
The author wrote a thriller that started with a bang and just kept going!  The twists kept coming, so I couldn't put it down.  I cannot wait to read more from this author!