William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Mean Girls

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Jun 2019

Never thought Mean Girls could get anymore funnier, but here we are! Reading the iconic characters saying doth, troth, and mayhaps with their dialogue really made me laugh, this book gives me a real good time and improves the story so much!
I loved this way more than I should have. Out of all of the Shakespeare ‘twists’ this, for me, is by far the best. It’s writing it almost flawless, while retaining the camp nature of the film.
William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Mean Girls by Ian Doescher is not the book for me.  I found this Elizabethan language very hard to read, and I really struggled.  If you love Shakespeare, you will probably enjoy this book.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and the publisher.  Thank you.
The Star Wars/Shakespeare match-ups that started a few years ago (what, probably 6?) were fresh and funny, holding true to both individual storylines  while adding some humor. Since then other renditions have come along, from Jane Austen to Lincoln. The addition of Much Ado About Mean Girls is at best disappointing and at worst unreadable. It was hard to follow, uninteresting, and only had a few funny/interesting lines.
Loved this adaption of Mean Girls! I pictured the characters while reading it and it made even funnier. Anyone who loved the movie, shakespeare and enjoys parodies will love this!
I absolutely love Shakespeare retellings and this one does not disappoint. I would highly recommend it to someone who is a fan of either Shakespeare or the movie Mean Girls.
A hilarious retelling of Mean Girls in Shakespearean prose. The author did a great job translating the movie...they even got some of the one-liners in!
I was shocked and amazed at how well the words of my beloved bard melded into every line of Mean Girls. I laughed, I took frequent screen shots, I sent lines to everyone I could think of—this adaption  is clever, hilarious, and so satisfying. The translated sketches are also a nice touch, making the Slam Book look like a witch’s book of shadows in a high school Shakespeare textbook. I bought a copy of this already because I knew I needed to own it for posterity, so that should be a glowing review. I will warn those who haven’t watched the source material enough to quote it—it’s for fans, not for newcomers. This will make little to no sense to anyone who doesn’t speak fluent Mean Girls.
This book should be required reading for all high school students prior to reading Shakespeare proper. Ian Doescher has come up with an ingenious method for familiarizing one's self with the syntax and vocab of the Elizabethan age. I've always been one to roll my eyes when I hear people pressure young readers to "always read the book first!" While I understand the sentiment this way of thinking, in my opinion, minimizes visual learners such as myself. "Much Ado About Mean Girls" does the opposite. The joke only works if you've watched the source material so many times you know it by heart, as do many of my generation. Having this type of visual context helps readers immerse themselves into the text in a more natural way. I sincerely hope this is just the beginning of a new series: "Taming of the Clueless", "The Merry Wives of Heathers", MacCraft"? The list is endless!
I've really enjoyed all the author's previous works adapting Star Wars and Back to the Future as Shakespeare plays, so I was curious to give this one a try. Sadly, I did not find it as good as the other ones, but I am completely sure the reason is that I'm a guy who's only watched "Mean Girls" but once many years ago, in contrast to the dozens of times I've watched Star Wars and Back to the Future all my life, so I was not as able to appreciate the adaptation on the same level or catch all the Easter eggs or references. It was still pretty fun, and you can tell by the text that it's as good as Get Thee Back To The Future, at least, though I still think these two are not as good as the Star Wars adaptations. If you're a fan of the movie, I think you'll appreciate it a bit more, though Doescher's command of the English language and Shakespearean tropes and techniques is good enough that even if you know nothing (or little, like me) about the source material, it's still a very enjoyable read.
This is exactly what you would expect and I really enjoyed it. It tells the story of Cody, a previously home schooled 16 year old girl as she attends high school for the first time and encounters the 'plastics' - but with Shakespearean language and the five act structure. It was fun and accessible and just a really quick and good read. For anyone who struggles getting to grips with the bard, something like this would be perfect because the story is so familiar and the structure works really well. I will definitely be checking out the other titles in the series and am expecting to enjoy them all too! Such a fun time.
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This book is a combination of two things that I truly love: Shakespeare and Mean Girls. I expect that many others will feel the same extreme draw towards it. It is brilliantly written, with great respect for both Shakespeare and Mean Girls. In fact, it basically transcribes the movie line for line into Shakespearean language. It is a fun read. You can almost hear the actors' voices while reading. The author did a great job of maintaining the characters' voices within the Shakespearean language.

High school drama classes and millennial book clubs need this book in their lives.
Nothing against this book, but I should have known better. I can never make myself love a book written in play format, no matter the content. However amazingly executed.
If I were teaching high schoolers Shakespeare, I would have them watch the movie, read this and then get into the actual work. This was a really fun way in. I know Quirk books is there to have a laugh, but honestly, this is just what high schoolers need. It has been a long time since I've seen Mean Girls, so I forgot some of the plot, but this seems to hold pretty firmly to the original story. Thanks to NetGalley and Quirk Books for the ARC.
Publication date: April 23, 2019

Description:

Power struggles. Bitter rivalries. Jealousy. Betrayals. Star-crossed lovers. When you consider all these plot points, it’s pretty surprising William Shakespeare didn’t write Mean Girls. But now fans can treat themselves to the epic drama—and heroic hilarity—of the classic teen comedy rendered with the wit, flair, and iambic pentameter of the Bard. Our heroine Cady disguises herself to infiltrate the conniving Plastics, falls for off-limits Aaron, struggles with her allegiance to newfound friends Damian and Janis, and stirs up age-old vendettas among the factions of her high school. Best-selling author Ian Doescher brings his signature Shakespearean wordsmithing to this cult classic beloved by generations of teen girls and other fans. Now, on the 15th anniversary of its release, Mean Girls is a recognized cultural phenomenon, and it’s more than ready for an Elizabethan makeover.

My thoughts:

The 2004 movie Mean Girls is a classic hyperbole about the subgroups in a suburban high school. The story is about the innocent, sheltered Cady, fresh from her home schooling experience in Africa coming across the politics of this very vicious social experience that is called American high school where the haves and have nots exist best when everyone understands the role they play and no one tries to move amongst social groups.

I think Shakespeare would love this modern take on his comedy and use of bawdy jokes built into this Shakespeare style rendering of Mean Girls. Although I think the original Much Ado About Nothing  still hold up after centuries as a classic comedy, perhaps this will bring more students to Shakespeare on their own. After all, who doesn't want to see the bullies taken down?

An advanced digital copy provided by Net Galley and the publisher for an honest review
So do you love Shakespeare?  How about the movie Mean Girls?  What happens when you have a mash-up of the two.  Well, here you go -  Iambic Pentameter rules.  This book is a retelling of the movie Mean Girls using Shakespearean language.  It is a total hoot.  It truly follows the movie quite closely, except it is written as if Shakespeare had wrote the screenplay.

Fun and quirky.  An enjoyable read.

Received as an arc from Netgalley.
This was a very interesting book. It’s basically just mean girls but written in the structure of a Shakespeare play. I don’t know if the writing style of it really hooked with me. I think I was so used to the movie that this really threw me off. I still like the story and the writing provides an interesting way to read the story, but I’m not sure if this is a book I would reread. I would definitely suggest it at my store to people interested in Shakespeare and things like it, cause it would fit that style very well.
Overall 3/5
Shakespeare made easier.   Awesome.  Perfect for my students.  Modern retellings make Shakespeare accessible to today’s youth.
This book was HILARIOUS! I was initially VERY nervous about the idea of something so brilliant being translated into Shakespearean language but It was genius. I am not a dedicated Shakespeare fan, if I'm honest I haven't picked up a single sonnet or play since I was in college, but something about this just screamed READ ME!
This is most definitely a book I never knew I needed! Doescher takes a modern tale and spins it into a marvelous drama with language that is dramatic, lyrical and foreign while also being satirical, hilarious and savage. After reading this novel, I instantly know how to get my kids immersed in Shakespeare's world - this is a modern tool for a classical era! A novel that no classroom (or bookshelf!) should be without! 5/5 stars!
This is a fun adaptation of the Mean Girls movie - although it fell somewhat short of my expectations. Which I should possibly have expected as Elizabethan is all but a different language to modern English. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for an eARC.