The Doughnut King

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

The minute Larrabee finishes a book he loves, he always asks, “Is there a sequel?”

If, like us, you loved The Doughnut Fix by Jessie Janowitz (a 2018 Cybils finalist), then I have good news for you. Tris’s adventures continue in The Doughnut King!

The doughnut business that Tris started with his friend Josh is a huge success. It’s so popular, actually, that they can’t keep up with demand, and that’s a problem. Meanwhile, the town of Petersville has problems too. If it’s not able to attract tourists, it may disappear.

When all his other options to fix his supply issues fail, Tris reluctantly goes on a reality TV kids’ cooking show in the hopes that he can use the prize money to buy a doughnut-making robot to save his business and his new town. But the contest will test more than just his baking skills.

The best thing about this book is the characters. They’re vivid and interesting, especially Tris and his family. His dad speaks French when he gets angry and takes on crazy projects, such as trying to make maple syrup from sycamore trees. His mom, a professional chef, thinks baking is a more important life skill than swimming. His middle sister Jeanine is an academic superstar, and his youngest sister Zoe eats chocolate cream straight from the pastry gun. And Tris is one of those ordinary kids who ends up doing extraordinary things.

I recommend this book to kids who are foodies, bakers, entrepreneurs, or fans of fun stories. Just don’t read it when you’re hungry!

Thank you to Sourcebooks Jabberwocky and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book. Its expected publication date is May 7.
Tris is a typical boy, in a small town, that is if typical boys have cooking shows as their favorite things to watch, and run a doughnut shop after school and on weekends.

This is the follow up book to the first book about Tris, where we find out what happened after he created the perfect doughnut. In this story, he goes on a reality tv cooking show, to win money to get a doughnut machine so he can make his recipe faster to keep up with demand.

The head chef has it out for Tris, for some reason and the high jinks begin.

But, with all this, we have the friendship of his family and friends, helping him along.

It is a little slow at the beginning, but once we get to the reality TV show, it picks up the pace.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Another super fun installment of the Doughnut Fix stories! (This one had the recipes included in the ARC I got, thanks Jessie Janowitz!)
In this story Tris, founder of the Doughnut Stop is struggling. He and his partner Josh can't keep up with demand, people are posting negative reviews, his parents are struggling financially but keeping it a secret, and his town, Petersville, is dying. But he's only 12 what is he supposed to do about it? Being Tris, take the weight of everything on his own shoulders. I feel so hard for this kid. His anxiety is through the roof, but his heart is pure gold. His anxiety comes to the fore when his sister Janine enters him into a super intense Chopped-like cooking contest for kids, because the prize is $100K and could solve all their problems.
Tris takes one for the team, pushing through major anxiety and doing his best through the whole process, and it's just sweet and fun at the same time. Life lessons, like it's ok to mess up, even if it's a huge mess up, as long as you own up are sprinkled throughout the story, along with amazing descriptions of food and interesting factoids. I can't wait to find out more about Tris' Doughnut Empire.