There Are Girls Like Lions

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Feb 2019

An interesting collection of poetry by women, primarily from the twentieth and twenty first centuries. The introduction was a very informative overview of feminism over the years, which I found very educational. The illustrations were bold, and I appreciated the fact that they weren't flowery and pastel. The poems chosen are a well-rounded bunch. I didn't connect with all of them (that's to be expected in any anthology), but I connected with most. A couple of things that would've added to the book- some information about each poem, a few introductory lines about the poet and poem would be nice, and really, the book could've been longer- it has a good vibe going, why not keep it up? Perhaps there will be a second volume.....
This started off as well-imagined, inspirational, and exactly what we needed. It was repetitve, and felt like any other collection of women led quotes or poetry. Maybe I've exhausted my poetry craving. It just felt too similar to any other book I've read over the last few years.
I don’t even know how to rate this one; it was disappointing. I thought I was going to love this collection. However, I was quickly disappointed. To begin, the foreword left me a little confused and the poems were not very cohesive. I was very intrigued at the beginning when I read the first poem, but in total, I think I only enjoyed three poems. They were not tied in together like a collection should be and it felt like they had no common purpose.

As I said, I enjoyed some of the poems, those three were complex and well done, but most of them were very disconnected. Also, since this is a compilation from different authors, it would’ve been nice to get some dates and/or background for each one. It would’ve helped me connect.

The illustrations were beautiful.

Thanks NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I really enjoyed reading this poetry collection. I thought it was lovely and magical. Poetry is not normally my thing, but I enjoyed every single poem. I especially love that all of the poets are women who are writing about womanhood and girlhood. I already know one friend who would really appreciate this book as a gift. Actually, I would love a copy for myself so I can look back on certain poems whenever I like. The illustrations throughout the book are a huge plus for me. I definitely recommend!
This book made me feel strong and proud and empowered.

As it is always with poetry, there were poems I loved and spoke to my soul, and there were poems I didn't like. I think it depends on where you are currently in your life and what are your experiences. I would love to come back to this book later and read it again, to see how I changed.

I really liked the variety of authors, there were several from my favourite women I admire so much. I loved how this book focused on women and I think it can be perfect gift for yourself, your mum or best friend.
The e-Advanced Readers Copy was provided by Chronicle Books and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this ARC will not affect my review nor my rating.

Poetry is not usually one of my go-to genres. However, I found the premise for this collection of poems intriguing and jumped at the chance to read it. Overall, I found this collection to be a mixture of compelling works and very mediocre or confusing writing. I do feel that these poems stuck to the theme of the celebration of womanhood and empowering women. However, there were quite a few poems, that for me missed the mark. I would've loved to give a majority of these poems higher ratings. Unfortunately, about three poems received 5 stars and genuinely made an impact on the expression, struggles, plight, and uniqueness of womanhood. I recommend reading:  (1) Appetite by Tracy K. Smith (2) Loose Woman by Sandra Cisneros (3)A Plaint of Complexity by Eunice Tietjens  & (4) Ego Tripping (There Maybe a Reason Why) by Nikki Giovanni.
This book wasn't entirely what I expected. I anticipated it as a collection of poetry by the author, which was partially my own misunderstanding. It was a compilation of poems from various women throughout the 20th century. I enjoyed some, but others were not enjoyable. Simply put, it was a nice collection of poetry but not what I expected.
'm just going to leave this right here:
...
Here are girls like lions,
here are girls like howling wolves.
Here are girls with such big teeth!
Here are girls who'll play tug o'war
with your heart or your wishbone
Or your throat, oh.
Oh, here are girls with cold bright eyes and claws
like dragons. Here are girls who
can't breathe air, only fire.
Here are girls who carry kindness
And katanas in their rucksacks
because they never know which
they'll need.
How do you tame girls with
wildfire limbs? How do you hold
down girls with hurricane hands?
Oh, you can't. Humble hungerer,
you've just got to help them rise.
💪
This poem is only the first of many in this awesome "celebration of womanhood."  With poems by Tracy K. Smith, Sandra Cisernos, Margaret Atwood and many more, There Are Girls Like Lions is a book to keep on the shelf.  Or - with that cover - on the coffee table.  This gem is out super soon - March 5 - so do yourself a favor and go grab one of these for yourself or for a girl in your life.
I am really excited for There Are Girls Like Lions. But this format did not open on my phone. It kept crashing. And thus I could not read it. Hope to check ot out on release. It really does sound promising.
I blame myself for reading more contemporary poetry than some 'old format' ones. I DNF-ed the book halfway through because I couldn't connect to most of them. Some, I could, but not most. Just not for me.
I don't think I fully understood this anthology. There were a couple of poems that stood out to me, but overall, I think I just don't know enough references for this to make sense to me.
While a handful of the poems in this collection struck me in particular, most of them are sadly forgettable. This is not the only collection of its kind; it reminds me of 'Furies: An Anthology of Women Warriors,' edited by Eve Lacey, but that is not a criticism of the book. In fact, I wish there were even more collections like them since they all dig into femininity and womanhood in ways with which I am able to connect.. I think that any time you have a collection of poems, especially by different poets, some will stick with you more than others. The poems that I found particularly good were by Edna St. Vincent Millay, Kimiko Hahn, Tracy K. Smith, Mary Oliver, Sandra Cisneros (hers was my favorite), Emily Dickinson, and Vera Pavlova.
The stars of this book were the gorgeous illustrations.

However, as a collection, this did not work for me. Although I enjoyed some individual poems, I struggled to find any sense to the organization of this book. To me, the threads connecting these poems together were loose. It seemed as if they just googled “poems about women” and put them together.
I liked this book, inspired for women. But I wish there was more. I felt that the poetry was all well written and cover all different part of lives. Some of the poems were powerful and filled with meanings that reflected life. The illustrations were nice. Overall this was a quick read, that I enjoyed.
Unfortunately I only felt connected with a few of the poems. What really kept me going was the illustrations. I guess the theme of the collection gave me too high expectations, but these weren’t met for me.
I have to admit that I don't really have much to say about this collection of poetry. I thought I was going to love it (actually, I thought this was going to be the one I would love the most of these three here), but it somehow couldn't reach me. There were good and less good poems in it, none of them really bad, honestly - but there were none that left a lingering impression or thoughts to think about later... and that would be the point of poetry, right? I don't say it's the poems, it might be me - I know poetry is very subjective. That is why I rated this book 3 stars.

What I actually loved in this book was the foreword: I felt way more empowered and inspired after reading that than after reading the poems.
I had really high expectations from this collection but it was such a disappointment. It would've been so much better if the pieces were tied together and more consistent. There were some bright spots though, especially the art.
I quite liked this collection of poems about women by women. Of course I liked some poems more than others but that is to be expected with poems varying one from another so much. Some of them were really inspiring and I really enjoyed them. It is a highly emotional and impacting read, and I am certain that many of these poems will resonate with a great many people. But overall I wanted to like this book of poems a bit more than I actually did. For me, it wasn't anything amazing and I didn't exactly love the poems as much as I hoped I would. But it was quick and enjoyable anyway and that's all that counts.
Although I could see the potential in this text, I was not able to sustain my attention and finish the narrative.
Few books have made me feel as empowered as this one. I feel thankful that I got to read it, because it is lovely to read things this beautifully written written by women.