Becoming Whole

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Mar 2019

I had previously read When Helping Hurts by Brian Fikkert at the recommendation of an acquaintance who is a long-time missionary.  Becoming Whole is a great followup to that book and gives more details about what poverty alleviation programs can do to either help or hurt the people that they serve.  I highly recommend this book for church leaders, including Missions Committee members as well as leaders and board members of ministry organizations that serve the poor.  This book will help churches and other organizations evaluate their services to the poor and determine whether changes may be needed.  It will also be a great help for individual Christians seeking to maximize the effectiveness of their charitable donations.

The theme of this book may be exemplified by a quote from its conclusion.  "We are called and empowered to join with ...[the poor] in living into this new world--preaching the Word and digging wells, starting schools and administering the sacraments, offering prayers and dispensing penicillin, fellowshipping with Christ's body and financing micro enterprises.  Because the goal isn't to live the American Dream now and get our souls to heaven later.  The goal is to become whole."

I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to learn more about effective  poverty alleviation programs.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley.