Cover Image: A Nearly Normal Family

A Nearly Normal Family

This was so good, it was hard to put down when it ended. I think M.T. Edvardsson really did an outstanding job a creating this story because it was so like a family in every aspect. He created tension, love, and an understanding of Swedish law to an extent. This was a story of two girls from different families, Stella Sandell and Amina Beŝić, they grew up alway knowing about the other girl and later played hand ball on the same team, they were best friends, sharing their dreams. But they ran into Chris Olsen at a dance and they both had the hots for him. Later on this proved to be a fatal blow for Stella once she was arrested for the murder of Chris. Her mom and dad, Ulrika and Adam Sandell were key into finding out about the murder and what Stella and Amina played into it and the big why? I can't wait for another book by M.T. Edvardsson if it was as good as this one. I recommend this book as one of the few books that captures a family with all it's flaws.
I would give more than 5 stars if I could.  As a parent, this book really gripped and chilled me., but even if I were not one I think I still would have loved the way this story was done.  It was one that truly chilled me to the bones and thrilled me too, while also making my brain a bit funky from trying to decide what is going to happen or what happened and why!  A must read for all those who love psychological thrillers, with some legal thrills twisted in!
Will be using in a challenge, reviewing closer to publish date, and recommending to the members of Chapter Chatter Pub!

M.T. Edvardsson’s A Nearly Normal Family is a gripping psychological thriller that forces the reader to consider: how far would you go to protect the ones you love? In this twisted narrative of love and murder, a horrific crime makes a seemingly normal family question everything they thought they knew about their life—and each other.

Seventeen-year-old Stella stands accused of the brutal murder of a man almost fifteen years her senior. She is an ordinary teenager from an upstanding local family. What reason could she have to know a shady businessman, let alone to kill him?

Stella’s father, a pastor, and mother, a criminal defence attorney, find their moral compasses tested as they defend their daughter while struggling to understand why she is a suspect. Told in an unusual three-part structure, A Nearly Normal Family asks the questions: How well do you know your own children? How far would you go to protect them?

Ooooooooooh - you gotta love a family secret.  I always say to my 91 and 92-year-old parents "do you really know me?" (Trust me, they do not).  "Normal family" is such a subjective term, truth be told, and this was a well-crafted look into that fallacy and the mystery behind "normal" and the businessman's murder. If you like a book that keeps you guessing until the end, this is it!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 📚 📚📚📚📚
Excellent family drama-slash-legal thriller about secrets and lies in a close-knit family when a daughter is tried for a murder. Points of view and past events are shifted between mother, father, and daughter, and Edvardsson masterfully skews each perception JUST ENOUGH so that the reader is always unsure where the truth lies. Well-crafted and emotionally haunting - in all the twists and turns of this years' thrillers, it turns out the most unreliable of narrators are normal parents.