Tokyo Firewall

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

Sadly this could have been a five star book but the author made the character appear to be a bit thick and naive for the hot shot lawyer she was meant to be. The plot was fine but it became apparent very early on that Allison was not the one in trouble and all the suspense was dissipated. The book however was entertaining enough to give three stars. I did like the trawl through old tech of dial up computing, bringing back memories of myself travelling and using the old tech. Perhaps if the author had concentrated more on the suspense it would have been worthy of better praise.
This sounded an unusual story and setting. Until I got into reading it, I hadn't realised it was set a couple of decades back when the internet, smartphones etc were a lot less sophisticated. Unfortunately now , that all feels a little dated and I wonder why that time frame was chosen, or has it just taken a really long time to get published? The main character was a strange one, making numerous dodgy decisions (starting with her blindly following her partner across the globe when he clearly didn't want her to!). The sex elements are a little OTT for my taste, but each to their own. Still, the story was sufficiently interesting to keep me reading until the end.
Our heroine Alison Crane is an unemployed environmental lawyer living only semi-invited in Tokyo with her corporate lawyer boyfriend. Ali isn't the most likable heroine because why did she quit her job and follow her boyfriend Charles to Japan when he didn't really want her to and also she's kind of a doofus about the internet (it's the mid- or late 1990s, so fair), but she is a confident Black woman, who fights back.
I found this book to be interesting. It’s not typically the sort of genre I read, but it was fun to read something new and different. The storyline was written well and very easy to follow. I highly recommend.