Tokyo Firewall

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This sounded an unusual story and setting. Until I got into reading it, I hadn't realised it was set a couple of decades back when the internet, smartphones etc were a lot less sophisticated. Unfortunately now , that all feels a little dated and I wonder why that time frame was chosen, or has it just taken a really long time to get published? The main character was a strange one, making numerous dodgy decisions (starting with her blindly following her partner across the globe when he clearly didn't want her to!). The sex elements are a little OTT for my taste, but each to their own. Still, the story was sufficiently interesting to keep me reading until the end.
Our heroine Alison Crane is an unemployed environmental lawyer living only semi-invited in Tokyo with her corporate lawyer boyfriend. Ali isn't the most likable heroine because why did she quit her job and follow her boyfriend Charles to Japan when he didn't really want her to and also she's kind of a doofus about the internet (it's the mid- or late 1990s, so fair), but she is a confident Black woman, who fights back.
I'm not sure if I liked the book or not, or why exactly. The pacing often was great, but often it was too slow as well. To be honest, I found the sex-parts a bit too ... I'm not sure. Too much there, somehow. It did not add enough to the story, and seemed to be more like 'sex sells, so I will add it'. On the other hand, it did add something to the story, it showed much of Alison's vulnerability. But then, I somehow did not really liked those scenes. My conclusion is that I do not really know why, and I hate that I do not know it! (And then, is it not a sign of a book being good, that it leaves a reader with some kind of itch?)

In the end, 'Tokyo Firewall' was certainly interesting. I am not sure if I would pick up another book by this writer again though.
I found this book to be interesting. It’s not typically the sort of genre I read, but it was fun to read something new and different. The storyline was written well and very easy to follow. I highly recommend.