Remember Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 May 2019

I never thought I would like this book..... I found this novel a bit hard to get into at the beginning and sometimes I had to put the book down. there was a lot of characters in this book. I normally like thrillers but in my eyes a thriller/ horror novel has to pull you in almost on the first chapter and yet this book just did not pull me in as I wanted to. this is why it took me so long to just read the book. This book just did not connect with me in the way most novels normally do. I think i said this before but the story started up so slow for me, it did pick up in the middle or so but the ending could have been better. so in my eyes this book was just okay.
Remember Me is a story about Welsh teenagers who are obsessed with outdoing each other on dangerous dares while stoned out of their minds on drugs.  To bring the story to present day one of the participants who is now a detective with LAPD returns to her childhood home where she immediately gets threatened by just about everyone in the small place.
      I am not really a fan of books where there’s a person in the background who is responsible for all the carnage and the reader is left to guess the identity.  Of course everything is revealed in the last chapter but by then I really didn’t care.
     Sorry to say but this book was just not for me.  It seemed very drawn out and took too long to get to the point.
     Thanks to NetGalley for letting me read this book in exchange for my unbiased review.
This one took me awhile to get into but it was a good procedural once it got going.

I enjoyed the setting of the Welsh Village and the twists and turns were intriguing.

I liked Ava but did find some of the other characters confusing to keep up with as it went on in the story.
The death (accidental?) of a Welsh teenager and its subsequent cover-up by her friends sets the scene. Through flashbacks we see why they felt they needed to cover it up - drugs, alcohol, sex and dangerous games made it seemingly impossible for any of the remaining seven to come clean.
Over 15 years later Ava Cole has returned to her home town at the request of her dying ex-husband. Six of the original 8 teenagers are now back together, Jesse dying in an apparent motorcycle accident a few years back.
We soon realise that something darker is going on behind the scenes so to speak and that there is a "master player" rolling his/her dice and Ava is his/her final goal.
As you read you feel as if you're walking along a labyrinth slowly winding its way to the ultimate conclusion. The story unfolds through Ava's eyes; the "master player"'s eyes and flashbacks to their teens. It prickles your attention - gets you wondering what really happened that night? Who is this "master player"? Why is Ava their ultimate target? And what really happened that fateful night?
The story was initially very slow to grab my attention in the beginning, but as the tale unwinds it grabs you and pulls you into this tangled web.
I really liked the fact that the identity of this "master player" was kept well-hidden with little hints that get dropped throughout making you suspect each of the five who stayed behind.
The ending and ultimate revelation really surprises a person - not what I suspected AT ALL!!
Not only where the characters well-defined and interesting, but the landscape of the Welsh mountainside became an additional, powerful character.
I really enjoyed this book.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity of reading this book.
Though Remember me was an engaging mystery, I am not sure it will be all that memorable, maybe because it was a little slower paced than I expected. That being said, I wasn't bored and the plotting was cleverly done.
Thank you for another great pre-release ebook, this was pretty exciting!  It was a true mystery until near the end when the plot started to unravel.  Look for #rememberme to hit the shelves!
Daisy White has delighted me with this clever and gripping contemporary psychological thriller. I haven’t read any other books by this author and so I had no real expectations other than the reviews I had seen and the very brief plot synopsis. I was not prepared for the exciting and intense roller-coaster read this book inflicted on me!

“Remember Me” was cleverly written, and so full of drama and suspense that it had my heart racing. I was absorbed in the story from the start.

The book is mostly told from the point of view of Ava, who is now a fit LAPD detective but has a past full of dark secrets. She returns to her home-town of Aberdyth at the request of her ex-husband.

I didn’t really like Ava. As the main character, she was not easy to relate and warm to, though I could empathise with her about the depression that turned her life upside-down and changed the direction of her life and that of her son.

Set in Wales, the author has added some nice little touches which I really liked, such as the Welsh texts that the killer regularly sent to Ava, These were included at the end of each chapter, making me feel the need to keep on swiping the pages on my kindle so I could keep on reading!

Daisy White created a set of characters with such complexity and depth, and though all of them were, well, frankly evil and alarming, it helped to make this thriller quite something.

There were so many twists and turns that I found myself changing my mind from one suspect to another and back again. Not only did it have a gripping and brilliantly thought-out plot-line, but I was equally confused as the lead character as to who could be trusted. The penny only dropped for me when I had exhausted all suspects.

I loved where Daisy White took her chilling story, right through to its fulfilling conclusion.

I know I have found another author to add to my ever-growing list of favourites and I was lucky enough to participate in a buddy read for this book.

I thoroughly recommend “Remember Me” as it is definitely worth a read, especially if you enjoy a good thriller with plenty of atmosphere and a noir feel.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from HQ Digital via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
My thoughts:
This book started slow and didn’t pickup until about halfway through—then ended rather disappointingly. Unfortunately, I read several good books just before this one, which may be the reason for my low impression. It could also be that I just didn’t connect to this author’s writing style, since there are many good reviews.

I didn’t feel like there was anything that really made this book unique. It was an average suspense/thriller with too many unlikable characters, that I struggled to relate to. Reading and discussing it with someone else helped me stay engaged. Otherwise I’m not sure I would have wanted to finish it.

My Rating:   3 ⭐️’s
Published: February 6th 2019 by HQ Digital  Pages: 295

Thank you to NetGalley / HQ Digital / D.E. White for this digital ARC, in exchange for my honest review! #NetGalley #RememberMe

Book Description
Fifteen years ago Ellen Smith vanished from the woods near her small Welsh village. Never to be seen again. Eight people were in the woods that night: eight splintered lives, eight people hiding a terrible secret. But who can remember the truth?

Now, Ellen’s best friend, Detective Ava Cole is all grown up back in the village where it all began, and everyone is asking the same question.

What really happened to Ellen?

Filled with shocking discoveries and traumatic memories this fast paced thriller is perfect for fans of Friend Request and Close to Home.
I really enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend. Kept me wanting to know what will happen next. Thank you Netgalley for a chance to review this arc.
What really happened to Ellen?

The book is told from the point of view of Ava a New York detective who returns to her childhood welsh village upon learning about the terminal illness of her ex-husband. There is a lot going on in this book. It all centers around a group of friends who have known each other since childhood. They have a dark secret that they have concealed since their teen age years.
The tension built throughout and I couldn't put it down until I finished it!
The plot has many twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.
I highly recommend this book.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for kindly providing me the eARC of this book.
"Remember Me" eBook was published in 2019 and was written by D. E. White (https://daisywhiteauthor.co.uk). Ms. White has published a dozen novels.

I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set in contemporary Wales. The primary character is LAPD Detective Ava Cole who has returned after fifteen years to her home in Wales to see her dying ex-husband one last time.

The visit back home stirs more memories than just her Ex. When Cole was still a teen in Wales her best friend Ellen Smith had disappeared. Now 15 years later no one has heard from her. But that is a mystery that Cole and her close friends know the answer to, or at least she thinks she does.

Now not only is the visit back home stirring up emotional attachments to those she left behind, but previously unknown facts about Ellen's disappearance begin to surface. The truth about Ellen may destroy many lives. But then another young girl disappears and Cole fears it is tied to Ellen's disappearance.

I enjoyed the 9.5 hours I spent reading this 295-page British mystery. This novel has an interesting plot that leads Cole on a bumpy trip down memory lane. This is a good psychological thriller with a twist or two in the plot. I think better cover art could have been chosen. I give this novel a 4 out of 5.

Further book reviews I have written can be accessed at https://johnpurvis.wordpress.com/blog/.

My book reviews are also published on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/31181778-john-purvis).
Remember Me # NetGalley
D. E. White. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This is the first book I have read by this author, who also uses the name Daisy White. That was confusing and I had to figure it out to review the book. The author needs to use one name and stick with it consistently. There is a lot going on in this book. It all centers around a group of friends who have known each other since childhood. They have a dark secret that they have concealed since their teen age years. The main protagonist, Ava, travels back to Wales to see her ex husband, who is dying of cancer and her son whom she has not seen since he was a baby. That is a mystery right there that bears explaining. A lot of mysterious events start to happen and cryptic notes are left for Ava to figure out. This was a hard book to determine who was responsible for the going ons. I kept switching between who was guilty of each mysterious event and the next chapter I was convinced it was another character. So, it really did keep me guessing. At around 80% of the book, I finally got it right but it didn’t play out until the very end to be sure. The author could have helped out the reader by translating all the Welch phrases used throughout the book. Some she did and some she did not.  This book will keep you invested all the way through and if you like a good mystery, then you will enjoy this book. I read it in one sitting because I couldn’t put it down. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I was provided this advanced copy read by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for this opportunity.
Thankyou to NetGalley, HQ Digital and the author, D.E White, in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I thought this book provided a good read. It was slow to begin but worth hanging in there for the storyline to build.
A very intense read.. It has a slow beginning before the action begins. It is worth hanging in there, after the first couple of chapters, the story finally gets interesting. The main character is a complex woman. Lots of twists and turns. Looking forward to the next installment of the series. Thank you netgalley for the opporunity to read this book.
#rememberme
#netgalley
This was an OK story. I had a VERY hard time getting into it and it was a very slow read for me, which is not usual. Not terrible but not great either.
Thanks for the opportunity to have read this stunning book.  I really enjoyed it, and finished it in one sitting (don't tell the boss....)
Ava is a detective and has to return to her home town to deal with her ex-husband's illness, and reconnect with her son.  The family dynamics throughout the book keeps you busy, but in a good and entertaining way.
While she is back in town, the death of a friend of her's Ellen comes back to haunt her again.....
The book was thrilling from beginning to end, and really had me hooked.
Recommended!!
Thank you to NetGalley for a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

The book is told from the point of view of Ava a New York detective who returns to her childhood welsh village upon learning about the terminal illness of her ex-husband. She returns to get to know her teenage son however as soon as she returns she starts to receive messages asking her if she remembers about the girl who went missing some 15 years earlier. Ava and her friends believed Ellens death was a tragic accident but covered it as they were worried about how it would look. I admit this seemed a little odd to me but then the teens were on a drink and drugs binge in the woods so perhaps weren't thinking clearly at the time?.
After Ava returns to the Welsh village some strange things happen; she is drugged and photos of her naked body are posted online and sent to her boss in the US and then a local girl goes missing! This forced Ava goes to the police and tells them everything she knows and it becomes apparent quite quickly that she was also lied to 15 years ago as Ellen's death was not the accident she had thought it was.
Overall I enjoyed the book I did realised fairly early on who had to commit the crimes but I was unable to figure out why until the last 3rd of the book however it was still interesting to see how the story was wrapped up!
A gritty thriller erring in the edge of horror- this novel had a huge cast which did cause me some confusion at times on who was who, but it was worth it as this is a seat gripping, white knuckle ride of a novel. Loved the depictions of the countryside and the well drawn out characters. Realistic and gritty.
This story really drew me in and I was enthralled in the mystery.  I kept me on my toes and I couldn't wait to see what would happen on the next page.
"Tonight I was up late, planning my moves, irritated to see the clock ticking onwards, killing my peace. I like the blackness of the night. It excites me. Often I wonder if it is light or dark that you see when your time comes."

LA Detective Ava Cole returns home to Wales fifteen years after she left, after learning her ex-husband, Paul, is terminally ill with cancer. She hopes to build bridges with her estranged son, Steven who she left in Wales with Paul. Stephen's wife Penny is a childhood friend, in fact most of Ava's childhood friends, Huw, Leo and Rhodri, still live in the fictional village of Aberdyth, where they grew up together. They're hiding a secret about their friend Ellen who went missing when they were teenagers. They know Ellen is in fact dead, a tragic accident they covered up, hiding her body. Upon arriving in Aberdyth, Ava begins to receive creepy messages and tokens taken from Ellen; someone is playing a terrifying game. Then Stephen's girlfriend Bethan goes missing. Ellen's parents, finally planning to move away, hire a Private Investigator to find out what happened to Ellen. When the PI is found brutally murdered and it is clear Bethan has been abducted, cold case becomes a live case for Detective Cole.

Gripping and creepy this is a claustrophobic thriller that never leaves Aberdyth. I warmed to Ava, who suffered from postnatal depression after having Stephen, and who is fesity and determined to right the wrongs in her past. It has a dual narrative (Ava and the killer / game player but also present day and fifteen years ago) and is a slow burner initially whilst setting the scene and introducing the characters and their relationship to one another. It soon picks up as the plot develops because there is a race against time to save Bethan and discover who is behind it all. Perhaps I've read too many thrillers, but I guessed early on who (but not why) was behind the chilling games.