The Suspect

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2019

This was an interesting story about two girls missing in Thailand
These days this story is very topical as so many youngsters go travelling. Is it safe to do this, am sure any parent who is being told by there offspring this is what they want to do must be terrified after reading this story.
The two girls had never travelled together before, and they both wanted to do different things.
That is when problems happens, and they would never have foreseen what could happen to them.
Thanks netgalley for allowing me to read this story, which could  non fiction or fiction.
I really enjoyed this book and found it very gripping. I loved the alternating narratives between the present and what actually happened in Thailand in the run-up to the investigation. It was a slow burner in terms of action, with things slowly being revealed to add twists to the investigation. I wasn't completely shocked by the revelation but for me, it wasn't about who did it and more about the story unfolding towards that point.
The Suspect is the third novel in the Kate Walters Series, having previously read The Widow I was eager to see what Baron had come up with next and this proved to live up to the previous book.

In the Suspect Two English girls have gone missing while travelling in Thailand on their gap year, and Kate is eager to cover the story as her own son is also travelling – it’s clear that there isn’t much contact between the rogue son and his family and as the book unfolds Kate’s personal connection takes centre stage

The narrative comes from three points of view ‘The Reporter” “The Mother” & “The Detective” and each is beautifully bought to life. There are many twists and turns as the plot develops and each leaves you gripped, desperate to find out the truth of what happened to the girls.

I loved the paradox of Kate being both mother and reporter and how her role changes througout the story.

Barton is definately becoming a master of her genre.
When two girls go missing in Thailand their parents are obviously frantic. Everyone else thinks they have just got caught up in the hedoism of the Thai tourist scene....but as the days pass and social media gets in on the act the families are thrown into the spotlight. Where are Alex and Rosie? Journalist Kate Waters is covering the story and feels the parents anguish. Her son has been in Thailand for two years and barely checks in. So she understands their worry. But at least she knows where he is....but as the case unfolds she soon realises this story comes closer to home than she could ever imagine.

I really like this series. Some have levelled accusations of slowness. I get that. These aren't thrill a minute stories. But what they are is engrossing and we'll plotted. They're not really whodunnits, that's always pretty obvious, more how it was done. There are a few twists but for me these are much more about the story than the shocks. I've really enjoyed this series so far and can only hope that there will be more soon.
The storyline was intriguing with journalist Kate going to Thailand to investigate the disappearance of two teenage girls only to discover that her son is a suspect. Suddenly she’s on the other end of the investigation and she’s the one being hounded by the press. My interest was piqued enough that I sped through this one but I did find myself getting a little bit frustrated as the story was quite drawn out. I just didn’t connect with any of the characters as much as I would have liked. I enjoyed the little twist at the end though and that bumped this up to a solid four star read for me.
A great thriller. Super entertaining with great twists. Less character development than I was expecting but a great read nonetheless. I do wish I'd read the first books though.
What a scary thought.  Your kids go on their own to explore the world, and then they disappear.  Nobody wants to help you, nobody really cares about their disappearance.
Being a parent myself, with a child that wants to go on his own soon, this was really a harrowing tale and made me worry about what could be. What could go wrong.
Well written and recommended!
Really enjoyable and thrilling read, not quite up to the standard of The Widow, however this did make me want to read it in one sitting, so it wasnt a bad read atall!
This book is the third in the series, but can be read without knowing the other books. It's a nice police procedural, quick, easy read
I couldn't put the book down. I felt the anguish of the mother's  and the need to know answers. Maybe we should make our kids read this book before they head off on on their trips so they know the way the parents feel when they forget to keep in contact.
18 year old acquaintances Alex and Rosie travel to Thailand on a gap year adventure but when they fail to check in with their families for a period of time they are reported missing. Journalist Kate Waters decides to travel to Thailand to report on the developing story which touches a nerve for Kate as she her own son has been travelling in Thailand and has had very limited contact with home.
It took my a while to realise that although this book can be read as a standalone it is actually the 3rd book in the Kate Waters series.
I didn't really enjoy the pace of the story as I found it very slow and the characters of Alex and Rosie were a bit off-putting with the constant angst and arguing. The twist was well done though.
A decent read but not a favourite of mine unfortunately.
Thanks to Netgalley and publishers for the ARC.
A pretty good crime novel featuring Barton's journalist Kate Waters. Kate's a great character and I enjoyed reading more about her after The Widow. The Suspect is a culturally relevant novel about the truth of social media, self-identity, and family. It was a solid read with a good dose of mystery.
A great crime novel, faced paced and a good storyline
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in return for an honest review.
A clever mystery thriller that follows both the police & media investigation into the disappearance of 18 year olds Alex and Rosie whilst backpacking in Thailand on their gap year. Fast-paced, with alternating chapters of flashbacks. An authentic and brilliant tale with a shock finale.
The Suspect was another great book by Fiona Barton. I was hooked from the first few pages and was an easy to read book. Great twists and turns throughout. Would I recommend this book ..... most definitely.
I devoured this book in 24 hours – it’s gripping and completely sucks you in. I read The Widow a couple of years ago and really loved it, but didn’t realise this was the third in a semi-series. I’ll need to go back and read The Child now.

This tells the story of two teenage girls who go missing in Thailand at the start of a trip after their last year of high school – it’s told from a variety of perspectives, including one of the missing girls. While this was gripping and I wanted to keep reading, there were a couple of rogue side plots which I could have done without and I don’t think added anything to the story. I just wanted to stay with the missing girls plot and uncovering the mystery of what happened. I thought it was interesting that we find out a key piece of the story quite early on – then things move quite slowly, before picking up again. The pacing was a little off, and I guessed one of the big twists pretty early on.

But still, a really entertaining read which I enjoyed and I’ll certainly be getting into The Child next.
I was unaware this was part of a series, however it read well as a standalone. A great storyline. Loved the relationship between police and journalists.
I’ve really enjoyed the previous Kate Waters books and I enjoyed this too but I knew where the story was going from very early on
I loved this book. It is well written with an exciting plot and lots of great characters. I have read one other Fiona Barton with the same detective and journalist leads and I enjoyed that one too so will be on the look out for more!  I especially like how the story isn’t your usual happy ever after as it seems to make a more genuine ending.
Thankyou to NetGalley, the publishers and the author, Fiona Barton, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of The Suspect in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.
I thought this book offered a really good, suspenseful read. I enjoyed it. The storyline was well written and the characters thoroughly engaging. I was hooked, which is something you want from a thriller.
Well worth a read.