The Beantown Girls

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Feb 2019

I felt like I was stepping back in time.  Beantown girls has a vibe reminiscent of Call the Midwife, hard scrabble times during the Second World War.  3 best friends join the Red Cross.  I didn't know much about how the Red Cross developed, so it was interesting for me all around.
Beantown Girls is an interesting historical fiction, about three friends from Boston volunteering to help with the war efforts. While making doughnuts, coffee, and helping the troops in the Red Cross Club-mobile program, these women demonstrate much courage and self discovery. Filled with romance and friendship this book is told in a gentle, thoughtful voice. Thank you NetGalley for the review copy. All opinions are my own.
There are so many WWII historical fiction books out there and I've read quite a few, but I had never read one about the American Red Cross Clubmobile Service and the work the women they employed did entertaining the soldiers. This was a fascinating story filled with love, loss and friendship. At times, it fell a little flat, but overall I really enjoyed this book and learned something, too!
What a fantastic read. This is a little know story about the Red Cross Clubmobile Girls, and I was so glad to learn about them. I love reading about women's roles in the war effort and this didn't disappoint. Fantastic characters and so heartfelt.
This is another great story about the female, forgotten heroes of WWII. In this book we learn about the Red Cross Clubmobile Girls who were supposed to remain behind the lines and serve coffee and donuts to the soldiers in the camps. Fiona finds out her fiancé has been shot down in Germany and she doesn’t want to sit back and wait. She convinces her two best friends, Dottie and Viviana to sign up with the Red Cross to head over to Europe. When the ladies pass the tests and are accepted, off they go. It is not what they had expected. They needed to learn how to drive the clubmobiles, maintain them all while serving coffee and donuts with a smile in a war zone. There role is to raise the morale of the troops, but they end up doing so much more. With all this going on, the toughest thing for Fiona, is to put aside her feelings and the real reason she is there which is to find her fiancé, so she won’t get left behind in England. Along with another team of ladies they end up in France facing enemy lines, dealing with explosions, shell-shocked soldiers, and K-Rations as well as finding love.

This is a beautifully written story. The author’s descriptive writing had me feeling like I was there, hearing the explosions as well as the music. I enjoyed learning about these women and all they did. I liked the personalities of the clubmobile girls as they dealt with the horrors around them. These are real women who just wanted to do something. They were brave and courageous, but they were also caring, loyal and all had their own talents. There is also a host of secondary characters that add much to the story. They are friends, co-workers, performers, soldiers, supervisors and romantic interests. This is a story about war, but it is also a story of friendship. Watching these women support each other through thick and thin and encourage one another was beautiful. This was an inspiring story about the role these brave women played in the war, as well as how friendship and loyalty can make such a difference when in dangerous situations. Yes, there is some romance, but that is secondary to the action and adventure the Clubmobile Girls deal with. Make sure you read the afterword from the author. She gives some facts from her research to show how this story came about. I definitely recommend this book to those who enjoy historical fiction and stories from WWII.
Wow!

I want to be a Beantown Girl! This tale of friendship and love in the midst of war is a real page turner and heart melter!

The camaraderie and bonds that these girls experience hits you right in the heart. I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. Heartbreak, healing, friendship, tragedy, and love. This book has it all.

An amazing historical fiction novel that I will definitely recommend to my friends.
2019 is the year of WWII historical fiction and I'm all about it!
The Beantown Girls follows our 3 heroines, Fiona, Viv and Dottie on their journey to Europe to be club mobile girls to help boost the morale of American soldiers. I loved this story! Before Beantown Girls, I had literally never heard of the Club mobile girls. The first half was more light hearted and filled with laugh out loud moments, while the second half was heartbreaking and tough to read at times.
This story was so well researched, mentioning many true events that I had never heard of.
I read this as a buddy read and highly recommend it for group reads. We were only supposed to talk about the book at the end of the month but we were all so involved in the story that we ended up chatting all month while we were reading, drinking coffee and eating all the donuts.
Warning - this book will have you laughing and crying out loud and will leave you with extreme coffee and donut cravings.
Historical fiction at its best.  The amount of research the author did is amazing...i enjoyed this novel from start to finish
Overall, this book was historical fiction with a little too much blah to be outstanding considering the range of WW2 books out right now. This is a highly saturated market in my opinion, so if you are going to do it, you better bring your A-game. You need to knock it out of the park to justify your book over all the others in the genre at the moment. This one was only okay for me.

#TheBeantownGirls #NetGalley
I really liked Jane Healey's other book, so I was excited to read more from her, but, unfortunately, "The Beantown Girls" was rather disappointing.

There was a lot of insta-love in this novel, which was bad enough, but then at the end it resolved the protagonist's main conflict in a rather disgusting way in my opinion which kind of destroyed the book for me.

I still rated it three stars because it's easy to get through, but there are definitely much better novels on WWII out there which do not simplify everything so much.
The book began slowly, and I wasn’t engaged by the characters. At all. They didn’t seem very believable and I found them rather annoying. But, I continued, as I felt obliged to do, and finally found the story drew me in. I wasn’t totally convinced by the descriptions of the English countryside, and although this is based on real life characters and true events, I find the idea of unlimited doughnuts and coffee during rationing to be a bit odd. I know the US troops had access to food and other supplies that the British were denied but all the same…However, a quick google tells me how wrong I am, as the picture below shows.

Generally I ended up enjoying the book more than I had expected at the beginning, and while I wouldn’t rave about it, as many reviewers have, I think it deserves a three-and-a-half stars. Which is down graded to three stars for NetGalley, as they don’t do half stars.
Loved this book.  I volunteer for the Red Cross at a near by Air Force base so I was definitely intrigued by the summary of this book.  A definite must read, especially for Historical Fiction fans.  Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the advanced copy.
A highly recommended read for lovers of historical fiction. This is mainly the journey of three friends during World War II and how their friendship helps them to sail through that difficult time. Beautifully written, The Beantown Girls is  both moving and enjoyable. It makes you believe in friendship and the importance that having a few but good friends in your life.
It is my first time reading a Jane Healey book and I look forward to reading more of her work. My next read would be The Saturday Evening Girls' Club: A novel, also by Ms Healey.
Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to read The Beantown Girls for free.
During the last year of WWII, Fiona, Viviana, and Dottie volunteer with the Red Cross as Clubmobile girls.  Fiona's fiancé has been missing in action for over a year and she is determined to find out more.  Viviana is an outspoken vivacious girl while Dottie is shy and reluctant to share her musical talents.  As Clubmobile girls, they travel from fort to station, delivering donuts, coffee, and supplies to boost troop morale.

This was a quick read.  It featured strong female characters, which I loved.  I've read a lot of WWII books, and this is the first time I've heard of the Red Cross Clubmobile girls.   Overall, well worth picking up!
Fiona Denning has her life completely planned out. Her Fiance will return from the war, they will get married, and live happily ever after.......

... But when Danny's plane is shot down in Germany her future is in ruins. Instead of staying home, she recruits her two best friends, Viviana and Dottie, to volunteer with the Red Cross.

This is the story of love, friendship, heartache, and strength. Jane Healey has wove a vivid tale that made me weep, made me laugh, and made me feel. The best kind of books are the ones that make you feel. I actually finished this book weeks ago, but I have just been able to get over my book hangover that it gave me.

I loved it!

5/5

**I received a copy of this novel, from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review**
Fantastic story of bravery and friendships between these women.. This is a must read, even if you aren’t into historical fiction I really think you can enjoy this book. The author really captured the essence of these women, as well as the servicemen, during WWII. I learned many things I did not know and enjoyed this story very much
I tried to read this but could not get into it.  It tells the story of four women who volunteer overseas during WW II.  One woman is looking for her fiancé who is missing in action, another is shy musician and another is a woman who is flirting with all of them but can one win her heart overseas?

I just could not really sustain my interest, but I'm not sure why.
I couldn't get into this one! I wanted to like it and the story was overall going well but it just wasn't a story for me at this time. I like the plot  concept.
If you are a fan of the historical novels, always eager to see a new spin on things, then “The Beantown Girls” is a great choice. Also, if you are looking for new interesting facts about World War II, then maybe you should find more about Red Cross Clubmobile Girls, which is the central topic of this impressive novel.
The author, Jane Healey, has beautifully combined a romantic story during the war, with the adventure of 3 powerful women, who are daunting the challenges of war.

Read the full review here:
I love the genre and found the characters were very endearing, especially the camaraderie of the women.
However I found the writing style lacking and the storyline quite predictable with one or two scenes totally implausible.