The Beantown Girls

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Feb 2019

Wow!

I want to be a Beantown Girl! This tale of friendship and love in the midst of war is a real page turner and heart melter!

The camaraderie and bonds that these girls experience hits you right in the heart. I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. Heartbreak, healing, friendship, tragedy, and love. This book has it all.

An amazing historical fiction novel that I will definitely recommend to my friends.
2019 is the year of WWII historical fiction and I'm all about it!
The Beantown Girls follows our 3 heroines, Fiona, Viv and Dottie on their journey to Europe to be club mobile girls to help boost the morale of American soldiers. I loved this story! Before Beantown Girls, I had literally never heard of the Club mobile girls. The first half was more light hearted and filled with laugh out loud moments, while the second half was heartbreaking and tough to read at times.
This story was so well researched, mentioning many true events that I had never heard of.
I read this as a buddy read and highly recommend it for group reads. We were only supposed to talk about the book at the end of the month but we were all so involved in the story that we ended up chatting all month while we were reading, drinking coffee and eating all the donuts.
Warning - this book will have you laughing and crying out loud and will leave you with extreme coffee and donut cravings.
Historical fiction at its best.  The amount of research the author did is amazing...i enjoyed this novel from start to finish
Overall, this book was historical fiction with a little too much blah to be outstanding considering the range of WW2 books out right now. This is a highly saturated market in my opinion, so if you are going to do it, you better bring your A-game. You need to knock it out of the park to justify your book over all the others in the genre at the moment. This one was only okay for me.

#TheBeantownGirls #NetGalley
I really liked Jane Healey's other book, so I was excited to read more from her, but, unfortunately, "The Beantown Girls" was rather disappointing.

There was a lot of insta-love in this novel, which was bad enough, but then at the end it resolved the protagonist's main conflict in a rather disgusting way in my opinion which kind of destroyed the book for me.

I still rated it three stars because it's easy to get through, but there are definitely much better novels on WWII out there which do not simplify everything so much.
The book began slowly, and I wasn’t engaged by the characters. At all. They didn’t seem very believable and I found them rather annoying. But, I continued, as I felt obliged to do, and finally found the story drew me in. I wasn’t totally convinced by the descriptions of the English countryside, and although this is based on real life characters and true events, I find the idea of unlimited doughnuts and coffee during rationing to be a bit odd. I know the US troops had access to food and other supplies that the British were denied but all the same…However, a quick google tells me how wrong I am, as the picture below shows.

Generally I ended up enjoying the book more than I had expected at the beginning, and while I wouldn’t rave about it, as many reviewers have, I think it deserves a three-and-a-half stars. Which is down graded to three stars for NetGalley, as they don’t do half stars.
Loved this book.  I volunteer for the Red Cross at a near by Air Force base so I was definitely intrigued by the summary of this book.  A definite must read, especially for Historical Fiction fans.  Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the advanced copy.
A highly recommended read for lovers of historical fiction. This is mainly the journey of three friends during World War II and how their friendship helps them to sail through that difficult time. Beautifully written, The Beantown Girls is  both moving and enjoyable. It makes you believe in friendship and the importance that having a few but good friends in your life.
It is my first time reading a Jane Healey book and I look forward to reading more of her work. My next read would be The Saturday Evening Girls' Club: A novel, also by Ms Healey.
Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to read The Beantown Girls for free.
During the last year of WWII, Fiona, Viviana, and Dottie volunteer with the Red Cross as Clubmobile girls.  Fiona's fiancé has been missing in action for over a year and she is determined to find out more.  Viviana is an outspoken vivacious girl while Dottie is shy and reluctant to share her musical talents.  As Clubmobile girls, they travel from fort to station, delivering donuts, coffee, and supplies to boost troop morale.

This was a quick read.  It featured strong female characters, which I loved.  I've read a lot of WWII books, and this is the first time I've heard of the Red Cross Clubmobile girls.   Overall, well worth picking up!
Fiona Denning has her life completely planned out. Her Fiance will return from the war, they will get married, and live happily ever after.......

... But when Danny's plane is shot down in Germany her future is in ruins. Instead of staying home, she recruits her two best friends, Viviana and Dottie, to volunteer with the Red Cross.

This is the story of love, friendship, heartache, and strength. Jane Healey has wove a vivid tale that made me weep, made me laugh, and made me feel. The best kind of books are the ones that make you feel. I actually finished this book weeks ago, but I have just been able to get over my book hangover that it gave me.

I loved it!

5/5

**I received a copy of this novel, from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review**
Fantastic story of bravery and friendships between these women.. This is a must read, even if you aren’t into historical fiction I really think you can enjoy this book. The author really captured the essence of these women, as well as the servicemen, during WWII. I learned many things I did not know and enjoyed this story very much
I tried to read this but could not get into it.  It tells the story of four women who volunteer overseas during WW II.  One woman is looking for her fiancé who is missing in action, another is shy musician and another is a woman who is flirting with all of them but can one win her heart overseas?

I just could not really sustain my interest, but I'm not sure why.
I couldn't get into this one! I wanted to like it and the story was overall going well but it just wasn't a story for me at this time. I like the plot  concept.
If you are a fan of the historical novels, always eager to see a new spin on things, then “The Beantown Girls” is a great choice. Also, if you are looking for new interesting facts about World War II, then maybe you should find more about Red Cross Clubmobile Girls, which is the central topic of this impressive novel.
The author, Jane Healey, has beautifully combined a romantic story during the war, with the adventure of 3 powerful women, who are daunting the challenges of war.

Read the full review here:
I love the genre and found the characters were very endearing, especially the camaraderie of the women.
However I found the writing style lacking and the storyline quite predictable with one or two scenes totally implausible.
I loved this book! World War II is one of my favorite historical eras and I feel like it did a really great job at balancing information with entertainment. I grew so attached to the characters throughout, and it really felt like I was a part of the Clubmobile Girls. It made me want to learn a lot more about the Red Cross! I definitely recommend this one! 4/5⭐️‘S
Great book. Really enjoyed learning about the Doughnut girls. There was just enough about the horrors of the war to make you appreciate WWII soldiers and what they went through.
In 1944, Fiona Denning learns that her fiancé’ is missing in action and presumed dead.  At home, in Boston, her family wants her to accept his death and move on.  Fiona can’t move on until she knows for sure if he is dead.

Fiona convinces her college friends, Dottie and Viviana, to become Red Cross Clubmobile girls.  They travel to London and beyond in war zones handing out coffee, doughnuts and a little cheer to the troops.

The Beantown Girls is about love and the relationship of three friends.  It shows the devastation and heartbreak of WWII, along with the comfort the Red Cross provided at that time.  You will laugh, you will cry, but most of all, you will be moved.  This is an excellently written book with will grab you and not let go.  The characters are deep and multi-faceted.  The dialogue is smooth and believable.  So much so that you will forget you are reading and just watch the movie in your head.

I love historical fiction about strong women in WWII.  This book has joined the list of favorites.  I will be sure to search for new books by this author.

I received an ARC from Lake Union Publishing through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.
I don't read a whole lot of historical fiction. This is a MUST read if you are a historical fiction fan. It was interesting to learn about the Red Cross Clubmobile. Hadn't ever heard of it.
The Beantown Girls by Jane Healey

Brief Summary: Amidst WWII, Fiona Denning signs up to join the Red Cross Clubmobile girls when her fiancée is reported missing in action after being shot down over Germany. She and her two best friends are sent to the front of the war to bring comfort, a sense of home, and doughnuts to American soldiers serving.

Highlights: The women who went to serve had such a sense of patriotism, of wanting to do their part but they were also looking for adventure. Healey accurately captures the sense of living for the moment because they didn’t know what the future held for themselves or their loved ones. This book provides a true snap shot of what its like to be left behind when a partner goes to war, a widow, or someone goes missing. This book is also a true testament to the power of female friendship.

What makes this book unique? I am a well-read historical fiction connoisseur and I had never heard of the Clubmobile Girls.  I loved what they did and how they made a positive impact on the soldiers’ morale.

Explanation of Rating 4.5/5 I was caught up in this educational and heartwarming read! I also love how Fiona processed her grief and moved on.

Favorite Quotes: Living in the midst of the war was it’s own reality and all of us that were living in it longed for intimacy and connection; however fleeting because it reminded us of what mattered most.

This is great for book clubs. I received my ARC for free but I purchased my own paper copy before I finished the book so that I can have a copy for my own library!

Thank you to Net Galley and Lake Union Publishing for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review