A Killer's Alibi

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Mar 2019

A Slam Dunk
A high ranking mobster in the Giansante crime family is discovered in a warehouse holding a bloody knife, a dead man lying there in a growing pool of blood. Holding the victim is his daughter. Since the daughter was dating the man, and he happens to be the son of a competing criminal, the police are quickly confident they have the killer. Caught-in-the-act should mean an easy case, right?

Enter Mick McFarland, defense attorney. Why Mick agrees to take the case is a question he will ask himself throughout much of the story. The reader will wonder right along with him.

Usually the attorney sets the rules. Client Jimmy Nunzio won’t allow that. The accused sharing only bits and pieces of what happened that night, the attorney accepting it. Since he believes it likely that Nunzio committed the murder, he has to take it one step at a time while trying to figure out what the criminal is hiding and just what he has planned.

So many agendas. Nunzio has his. The prosecutor has his. The family of the victim—another crime family–have theirs as well. In and among the secrets, a gang war is brewing that will put Mick and his family in the middle. Meanwhile Mick McFarland is trying to defend his rather obnoxious client.

The Innocence Project
His wife Piper and his law partner Susan are getting in deeper on their own front. Since their office sponsors its own ‘innocence project,’ the two are investigating the case of a girl imprisoned for killing her abusive father years before. With a witness hidden and threatened by law enforcement itself, their case is looking stronger every day. But secrets still need uncovering before they find the truth.

On both fronts the danger increases, putting lives at stake as well as proving guilt or innocence.

Author William L Myers, Jr. weaves an effective and complex story in this one. You can’t help but be drawn in, wondering what remains hidden. Clearly their are facts to be revealed, but the reader isn’t allowed to know until just the right moment. It keeps you in suspense!

Once you learn the answers, don’t think you are finished. Be prepared for a very twisted conclusion to A Killer’s Alibi. The whole book is very well done. A very intriguing read!

A Killer’s Alibi is part of the Philadelphia Legal series created by this terrific author. A Criminal Defense  is the first in the series. Book two is An Engineered Injustice Each is a solid stand alone, but you might like to start at the beginning to know even more about the characters.

In Audio
The series is also available in audio through Audible. Always a favorite option of mine though I read the ebook in this case. Adam Verner narrates this one. You can listen to a sample here.

We received an advanced copy of A Killer’s Alibi as part of the virtual book tour currently underway for Mr. Myers. Hosted by TLC Book Tours, you will find the author at a variety of sites for reviews, interviews and more. We were pleased to be a part of the tour.

The Tour
Book Description:

For attorney Mick McFarland, the evidence is damning. And so are the family secrets in this twisty legal thriller from the Amazon Charts bestselling author of A Criminal Defense.

When crime lord Jimmy Nunzio is caught, knife in hand, over the body of his daughter’s lover and his own archenemy, he turns to Mick McFarland to take up his defense. Usually the courtroom puppeteer, McFarland quickly finds himself at the end of Nunzio’s strings. Struggling to find grounds for a not-guilty verdict on behalf of a well-known killer, Mick is hamstrung by Nunzio’s refusal to tell him what really happened.

On the other side of the law, Mick’s wife, Piper, is working to free Darlene Dowd, a young woman sentenced to life in prison for her abusive father’s violent death. But the jury that convicted Darlene heard only part of the truth, and Piper will do anything to reveal the rest and prove Darlene’s innocence.

As Mick finds himself in the middle of a mob war, Piper delves deeper into Darlene’s past. Both will discover dark secrets that link these fathers and daughters—some that protect, some that destroy, and some that can’t stay hidden forever. No matter the risk.

Author’s Bio

William L. Myers, Jr. is the No. 6 best-selling author for Amazon Kindle in 2017 for his debut novel.

Once you pick up his legal thriller and best-selling novel, A Criminal Defense, it becomes obvious he is not new to the intricacies of the legal profession. Open A Criminal Defense and you’ll find yourself lost in a labyrinth of deceits and hidden agendas, a world where everyone has a secret. You never know what is going to happen next or when the plot is going to take another unexpected turn.

Don’t miss his second book An Engineered Injustice which debuted in January 2018. You’ll really feel what it’s like to be a young attorney in the trenches, beating the streets, against all odds. His third novel, A Killer’s Alibi debuts in January 2019.

A Philadelphia lawyer with thirty years of trial experience in state and federal courts up and down the East Coast, Myers has argued before the United States Supreme Court and still actively practices law.

Born in 1958 into a blue-collar family, Mr. Myers inherited a work-ethic that propelled him through college and into the Ivy League at The University of Pennsylvania School of Law. From there, Mr. Myers started his legal career in a Philadelphia-based mega defense firm. After ten years defending corporate America, he realized his heart wasn’t in it. So, with his career on the fast track to success–he gave it all up and started his own firm. It was time to start fighting for the common guy.

That was twenty-five years ago and since then, he has focused on representing railroad employees and other honest, hard-working people who have been injured by others. He has represented thousands of clients in his tenure and has become a highly-regarded litigation attorney.

He now lives with his wife, Lisa, in the western suburbs of Philadelphia.

Connect with William
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Philadelphia crime boss Jimmy Nunzio is found by police at the scene of the murder of his daughter’s lover, and archenemy of the family, knife in hand, covered in blood. It seems like a slam-dunk case for the prosecutor. Nunzio hires lawyer Mick McFarland to defend him, but refuses to tell him any details at all, insists on pleading not guilty, and tells Mick he’ll find out more ‘when it’s time’. Time is running out, a mafia war is in the making, and Mick and his family could be in danger.
The legal ins and outs of the court room drama, crime family intimidation, and what happened the night of the murder all intrigue the reader as the story unfolds. An excellent novel, and I highly recommend it.
I have always enjoyed a courtroom drama and this delivers, and then some. A drug war is threatening when a Romeo and Juliet type situation takes a turn. I love this author and never see his twists coming. I am completely believing in the story until a new narrative changes everything! Wow!! Looking forward to others by this author!!
Thank you to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
I have loved William L Meyers Jr other 2 books and this was no exception. It was such a thrill ride and I kept wanting to know what would happen next. Some parts did get a little slow but it was mostly a fast read for me. And I did not expect that ending. Overall 4 stars. I would definitely recommend this one.
4.5*
The story opens with a shocking prologue as twelve year old Jimmy Nunzio is initiated into the family ‘firm.’ Twenty some years later mob boss, Jimmy Nunzio is caught knife in hand and covered in blood, a body at his feet and his daughter weeping over her dead boyfriend. Mick McFarland is hired to represent Nunzio as his defence counsel and, although he has mixed feelings, after talking to his client he feels pressured to accept despite the fact Nunzio refuses to explain what actually happened.

Running alongside the Nunzio trial is another separate case taken on by Mick’s wife, Piper, and his law firm partner Susan Klein. They are working on innocence cases—trying to get a retrial for people who they believe are wrongly imprisoned. Darlene Dowd was convicted fifteen years ago, when she was nineteen, of murdering her sexually abusive father. Now a deathbed letter from Darlene’s mother could help prove her innocence. A witness had come forward at the time with information that would help to prove Darlene couldn’t have committed the crime, but had been scared off by the then police chief.

Parallels run through both cases, namely the relationships between fathers and daughters, although the actual events bear no resemblance to each other. Throughout the two threads, believable as they are, nothing is quite as it seems with a twisty storyline ensuring the reader is kept guessing along with Mick.

Although this is the third book in the series, for the most part it can be read as a standalone. There are certain references to events in the previous books which play a small part in the overall story; they did leave me wondering what had happened and how much impact they had on the present as the characters themselves still seem to be dealing with the fallout.

A Killer’s Alibi is extremely well written with great characterisations and attention to detail, as well as brilliant courtroom scenes. The fact that Mick is kept more or less in the dark along with the reader adds to the tension and uncertainty of what really happened that night in the warehouse and how events will unfold. A terrific legal thriller … and I need to add the first two books to my list.
A Killer’s Alibi by William L. Myers Jr. is a truly addictive legal thriller.
From the start, the author plunged me into his ingeniously crafted fiction. I absolutely did not want to stop reading. Consequently, I finished this book in three days straight. The fast pace of the narrative helped too.

Anchored with perfect words, the characters—the protagonists as well as the supporting ones—effortlessly carried the burden of the plot. I could empathize with Mick’s helplessness. He could only grasp at straws as his client refused to speak. Piper came across as a strong, supportive, and a diligent woman who worked hard to free Darlene.

However, I liked Jimmy Nunzio the best. After such a long time, I have had the pleasure to read an unforgettable villain. The way he ascended the throne of the mob family, his internal conflicts, and their resultant outcomes made it a treat for me to read this book. I loved the portrayal of the mob, their inner dynamics, the crossings, and the double-crossings. All of these were skillfully interwoven with the narrative. There are several other characters here; however, William L. Myers’ expert handling doesn’t result in a hotchpotch of the narrative.

Coming to the plot twists, I will admit that I saw the biggest one coming a mile away. However, the way the author led me up to it was fantastic. As a result, I was still blown away by the climax. The story flows smoothly and is taut with suspense. Moreover, William L. Myers handles both the mysteries—the murder of Nunzio’s daughter’s lover and the murder of Darlene’s father—with panache making them equally captivating.

The lucid explanation of the legal terms and the proceedings without slowing down the story, or boring the reader, is the strongest quality of this book. Few legal thrillers have achieved this feat, in my opinion. The author's vividly descriptive writing breathed life into the judicial proceedings and the courtroom scenes. Even though it's the third book in the Philadelphia Legal series, the author explains every reference to past events. So, it can be read as a standalone.

A Killer’s Alibi by William L. Myers Jr. is my first 5-star read of 2019, and it totally deserves it. A smoothly flowing story, well-developed characters, and most importantly, a nail-biting, thrilling trial- what more can one require from a legal thriller. I will surely check out the rest of the books in this series.
What a twisty, turny path this book takes along the length of its entirety. It had me lost at some points with the changing of story lines and character perspectives throughout, but I'm a reader who enjoys that when it's done right.
The book itself is the epitome of a legal thriller - do I do what's right, or do what's wrong for a good cause?
And of course the theme: things aren't always as they appear.
There are lots of characters to keep track of, and a couple different stories within the book that all tie up nicely, so if you like that type of writing, you'll enjoy this book!
I really enjoyed this book. A new author, a new style and mafia style. Very good book, twists, turns and plot in abundance. READ IT !
This is top notch for legal thrillers and crime drama. Never a dull moment. The ride begins from the first scene when Philly crime boss Jimmy Nunzio is caught red handed with the dead body of his daughter's lover. Criminal defense attorney Mick McFarland is never really on his feet on this one. The case blindsides him from the beginning and never lets up. Then there's Mick's wife, Piper who investigates an innocence project case to free a young woman from a murder case. Two cases. Two dire situations. A legal thriller laced with tension, an intricate plot, a full cast of characters--But at its core it's about one thing, family.
This was a fast paced legal thriller. It is a series and I didnt know that going in but I didnt feel like I needed to read the others to get to know the characters and I liked that. It was written so that it grabs you from the beginning.
Wow! This book is a wonderful legal thriller. Jimmy Nunzio is the head of the crime family in Philadelphia. When he is found with a knife in his hands less than ten feet away from the son of the New York crime boss's son, he is immediately arrested. Now Mick McFarland is representing Nunzio and must somehow prove that Nunzio should be released. Mick's wife is dealing with her own legal struggle. Piper is representing Darlene Dowd, who was imprisoned for allegedly killing her abusive father. Piper and her partner Susan now must find a way to prove Dowd did not do it, and try to find out who did. This book is beautifully written and very intriguing to read. I highly recommend checking it out.
This is the 3rd book in the Philadelphia legal series following lawyer Mick McFarland and it’s fast becoming a firm favourite in my house, such terrific page turners, immersive writing and unexpected plotting.

This one was just like that, tense and pacy, with some memorable supporting characters in the mix and a difficult, dangerous case for our main protagonist.

Mob war looms, Mike under pressure from all sides, his wife Piper struggling with her own emotional case and William Myers racks up the tension with every passing chapter so you bolt through the book ignoring all else.

With a perfectly placed twisty finale, thought provoking themes running throughout and the now expected intelligent storytelling A Killer’s Alibi is a genuinely great read.

I thoroughly recommend the entire series.
I tried to read this book but I kept stopping as the story never took hold for me. The characters never grabbed me.
i love a good mystery and was excited to try this author. I was not disappointed! Two mysteries in one! Mafia, gangs, deception, lots of twists and I had no idea what to expect by the end. The characters were in depth, and the author wrote in a relatable way that was not over my head. I will definitely be reading more by William Myers!
Killer's Alibi is an exciting, legal thriller that follows one legal team across two of their biggest cases both incredibly intense murder trials.

One trial is for the city's most infamous, violent gang lord caught up in the murder of his daughters lover.

The other is an Innocence Project for a young girl accused of murdering her sexually and physically abusive father.

The opposing storylines are equally exciting and the personal issues of the legal team woven in add even more drama to an already intense book.

Nothing is what it seems and you can only find out the truth by reading the book. SOLID 4 STAR BOOK maybe 4.5
I love a good legal thriller and this series is one of my favorites. I absolutely loved the first book, A Criminal Defense but I somehow missed book 2 in the series. I still could not resist grabbing this one off NetGalley when I saw it.

Mick has a tough case in his hands. First, his client is a mobster. Everyone knows Nunzio’s reputation. So how will Mick prove that the mobster is innocent especially when there is evidence to the contrary? Secondly, Nunzio does not want to share the story with his lawyer. I mean, Mick has to defend the guy but he doesn’t even know what really happened. Nunzio makes it clear that he is the puppet master and Mick is his puppet. It was a crazy, twisted case that had me captivated from the first to the last page.

The second case handled by Mick’s wife, Piper, is also equally interesting. Piper is trying to offer Darlene a second chance. She is a young woman convicted of murdering her abusive father. However, Piper first needs to find out whether Darlene is innocent. This case had my stomach in knots. I was curious to find out whether Darlene committed the crime or not? Either way, I was on her side so I really wanted a favorable verdict for her.

Once again, Myers, Jr. created a masterpiece in this legal thriller. I don’t know how he managed to have the two story-lines run concurrently with each being just as captivating.

One thing you need to know about this author is that he doesn’t write your usual kind of legal thrillers. Sure, the courtroom drama is fascinating. In this case, I was curious to find out how everything would work out, as Mick kept saying, what was the ace? The case was so intense and unpredictable. However, Myers, Jr. also has a way of ensuring that each case is memorable by including jaw-dropping twists. In this story, there were two cases and twice, I had to pick my jaw from the floor. The twists were so good that I found myself exclaiming aloud, good thing I was reading the book alone at home. I don’t think I can aptly explain just how good the cases and twists were so just grab the book and find out for yourself.

If you enjoy fast-paced, engrossing legal thrillers with twists that will make your head spin, then you need to read the Philadelphia Legal series by William L. Myers, Jr. Right from the jaw-dropping prologue to the final full stop, I was utterly captivated by the narrative. I can’t wait to get my hands on book 2 of the series.

Well written, twisty and definitely memorable, The Killer’s Alibi was an enjoyable read.
"A Killer's Alibi " combines in a fascinating way a detective mystery, legal  intrigue, and dark family secrets. It is evident that the author is familiar with the world that inhabited by the story and above all - the human soul.
I liked this book. The alternating storylines at first kind of was distracting. At first there was Mick's case and than the case that his wife, Piper was working on. I did not really make the connection at first that the story changed between the two cases and therefore, I was trying to figure out the connection between the cases. In fact, I thought that Mick's wife was helping him in the beginning. This is partly my bad but at the same time it showed that the transition to the two storylines was not as smooth. Yet, the further that I got into the book, the clearer the dual storylines got.

I was drawn more towards Piper's case. The main character, Darlene was more relatable. Plus, I really felt for her and her story. So for me the overall story was a bit more one sided. Yet, I thought that Mick; himself was good. He showed his intelligence. Together, I thought that Mick and Piper worked well with each other. They fed off one another's energy.

While, I might not have "loved" this book, I would read another one by this author. I may even go back and start with book one in this series.
I’ll start by saying, I’ll pick up anything that has to do with the mafia. Its such a fascinating lifestyle and is it’s own world with it’s own rules. So when I saw that A KILLER’S ALIBI was a legal thriller involving the mafia, I had to pick it up! Despite this being book three in the Philadelphia Legal series, I wasn’t lost at all. In fact, I had no idea this was part of a series, so don’t let that deter you when starting it.

Mick McFarland finds himself sucked into the world of the mob when he has to represent the notorious crime boss Jimmy Nunzio. He was caught with a knife in his hand standing over the dead body of his daughter’s boyfriend. McFarland quickly finds out that the boyfriend was actually part of the rival mob – is a mob war on the horizon?

The Nunzio family is making things difficult for him to build his defense because they aren’t sharing all the information. Having your defense lawyer on a need-to-know basis seems like a bad idea, but McFarland quickly finds himself becoming sucked into the conflict.

The tension builds throughout the book and there are so many questions. How long will the Nunzio family keep Mick in the dark? When is the rival mob going to strike? What’s going to happen in the courtroom? This book had plenty of suspense and kept the action up making this a binge-read. I loved the courtroom scenes and Myers’ experience in the field shines through without it being hard to follow for those of us with no knowledge of the inner workings of the legal system. I would highly recommend this to those looking for a captivating thriller!
Thank you to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review, "A Killer's Alibi"
by William L. Myers Jr. This book truly kept up the suspense during the entire duration of the novel!. The book has a great flow to it, with characters that make the book worth reading.