Tales of a Small-Town King

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Feb 2019

HELP!

Expecting from the blurb that this was to be a crime and court-case novel, I was somewhat surprised (and not in a good way) to find it was a memoir. Antony Takis Tsegellis starts off promisingly enough with being given news of a puzzling double murder. But from there, he drifts off here, there and all over the place telling us of his Greek family and how they came to the States, the various bits of chicanery that his uncle is involved in, the author’s stalled career as a lawyer, his noble work coaching kids on the sports field, his involvement with the local Catholic church, his manipulation by the political puppeteers of the small town of Shiloh (who are many-numbered and confusing). It goes on and on. Backwards and forwards in time. Round and round the houses. And the most annoying thing of all is the author’s tendency to liken things that happen in his life to episodes in famous films. I think the poor guy needed some help marshalling his material. This book might have been interesting. But it so wasn’t.

My thanks to Dog Ear Publishing for the review copy courtesy of NetGalley.