Daughters of Northern Shores

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Apr 2019

I read this second book in the series because we read the first one in book club and then this one. I’m sorry to say that neither of these books grabbed me, but rather I felt like I had to plod through them.  Not everyone in our book club felt this way, of course. I did purchase both books for our church library.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.
I'm a huge fan of Joanne Bischof's novels. She has a way of making her characters so real and vibrant that I always feel I'm really part of the story. They often make me cry because she really delves into their feelings, being raw, passionate, tender, compassionate or fierce.
The Daughters of Northern Shore is an excellent sequel to The Sons of Blackbird Mountain, where I fell in ove with Thor and Aven. And I have to accept, Haakon had part of my heart too, so I was eager to know what would become of him in this book.
There's a lot of turmoil in this story and drama. Haakon escapes to Norway, where he hopes to forget Aven and finds his own adventures as well. But then a family feud with the neighboring farm strikes a war in Blackbird Mountain that threatens to destroy it all, and Haakon returns after four years, not knowing he may be the key to ending it all. And while at it, he may earn forgiveness, healing and redemption.
I truly enjoyed this book as well as the first one. I didn't think anyone would outshine Thor in my heart, but I found myself rooting for Haakon with all my heart in this one too!
I would have liked to see more of Thor and Aven, but I guess this was totally Haakon's story.
The end was epic and took my breath away!
I don't want to spoil this story. i just want to say that it's a must read, and that you should read The Sons of the Blackbird Mountain so you can truly understand what the characters are going through!
An epic story that you won't easily forget!
I'm eager to know if there will be a third story! I really hope so! I'm in love with this family!
This book picks up close to where book one, Sons of Blackbird Mountain, left off. I recommend you read book one first, though there is a lot of recap. (This slowed the plot of book two down. That’s a tough balance, and it’s difficult to know if readers will be confused or bored.) We get to catch up with Thor and his brothers. Once again, the author does a great job of bringing us into a Deaf (her capitalization preference) person’s world. I really enjoy reading about this element in a main character’s life. It’s rare in CBA fiction.

I like Joanne’s writing voice. Her historicals are rich with research and strong prose. She’s a wordsmith. One element I noticed this time that I didn’t in book one is the POV is distant. With all that lovely prose, I didn’t feel the characters’ emotions, most of the time. Their emotions are described, but not presented in a way that helps readers feel. I also found redundancies and stalled ruminations that didn’t advance the plot.

This story is Aven’s, definitely, but it’s also Haaken’s. We follow this youngest brother throughout the book. He’s a wounded soul and therefore we’re engaged in his story, but at the same time there were believability issues. Without a redemption moment near the beginning of the story, we see him changing. The arc wasn’t believable without that element, and I always felt like something was missing for his characterization. Without a God-encounter near the story’s opening, it’s hard to believe he can be a deeply changed man—from lustful to redeemed and made new, walking in ongoing repentance (i.e. not returning to lust) though he’s back in his target’s life.

I was a little lost at times when characters made plans without letting the reader in on them. Without deep POV, we had the disadvantage of distance. Keeping some secrets is fine. That may keep us reading. But leaving us in the dark for whole chapters can be frustrating.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, which kept me returning to read more. Once finished, I missed the setting and the characters. At the end of the story, the author sets up book three. I can’t wait!

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are my own.
The men are valiant and the women resilient. These are the lead characters in Daughters of the Northern Shore written by Joanne Bischof. It’s a plot that moves at a moderate pace at first, but finishes like a 50 yard dash. Initially you wonder how all the parts will weave together. We meet Northern European immigrants, a prodigal son, a deaf sibling, moonshiners, and a band of abusive and racist thugs. The action soon heats up to a feverish pitch. A strategy devised to end the thug’s tyranny is as good as any top-rated TV crime drama. Once it’s set to action, you’re right there with them in the smoke, confusion, and volley of ammunition. With the women safeguarded at a faraway location, you’ll root for the Norgaard Brothers and their allies, hoping they will emerge unscathed. No spoiler alert here. You’ll have to read the book to discover the outcome.
     The post Civil War setting is unique and draws quite a story line out of an often overlooked consequence of sending thousands into battle during a time when sanitation and medical procedures were primitive.
     Cora shares wisdom that soothes troubled souls. Eventually Haakon, the prodigal son, accepts the gift of forgiveness Cora describes and stops running from the consequences of his bad choices. At the conclusion, Haakon gains his heart’s desire.
     There are no straw characters here. Tate Kennedy, the Doctor, Mrs. Sorrel, and Sibby are secondary characters with power. They unveil mysteries and take action when called upon. This book is a sequel to Sons of Blackbird Mountain. I did not read the first book, but this in no way hindered my interest in the sequel. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and appreciated the author's remarkable word choice. I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange of my honest review.
I read the first book in this series, Sons of Blackbird Mountain, last summer, and wrote a rave review. I thought the story and characters were so unique! The ending of that book left readers hanging as Haakon ran away to sea, leaving Thor, Aven and the rest of the family brokenhearted and wondering where he'd gone. In Daughters of Northern Shores four years have passed, and much has changed for Thor and Aven, as well as for Haakon. Thor is about to become a father for the first time, while his brother is beginning to feel a longing to return home to the mountains of Virginia. Going home will mean facing Aven and the hurt he caused her. Haakon knows he doesn't deserve her forgiveness, and may still receive Thor's wrath. But when Haakon returns he finds that there's trouble at the farm. Thor is plagued with a mysterious illness, and may not recover. And the Sorrell family is back and looking for revenge on Thor and Haakon. The Norgaard brothers must come together once again to save their land and livelihood, but the stakes are much higher this time. Can they put the past behind them and forge a new future?Joanne Bischof writes in such a way that it's hard to guess what's going to happen next. This book, like the first, is full of twists and turns and surprises, and probably won't end like you expect. I still love how the author writes about Thor (who is deaf) and his interactions with his family. It's so natural how they all communicate. It's such a great twist to read about a deaf character who is treated normally, and isn't treated like he's disabled. I will say while the characters are married, I thought some of the interactions crossed the line of what I considered appropriate. There is nothing explicit at all, just a bit more involved than what I prefer to read. This is still a book I recommend, but you MUST read Sons of Blackbird Mountain first. I'm so excited for the next book, and can't wait to see what's in the future for the Norgaard family.
Das Buch geht 4 Jahre nach den Ereignissen in Sons of Blackbird Mountain weiter. Aven und Thor leben zusammen mit seinem Bruder, der inzwischen eine kleine Familie mit zwei Kindern hat. Das Geschäft mit den neuen Apfelprodukten läuft gut. Aven ist zum ersten mal schwanger. Ein großes Glück für das Paar, aber sie sorgen sich doch, ob das Kind vielleicht auch taub sein wird. Außerdem ist Thors Mutter damals bei Haakons Geburt verstorben. Zudem scheinen die Männer der Sorrel Familie wieder aufgetaucht zu sein. Thor und sein Bruder Jorgan sind deshalb angespannt und achten besonders auf die Sicherheit der Familie. In letzter Zeit hat Thor manchmal heftige Schmerzen in der Gegend der Leber, obwohl er vor 4 Jahren dem Alkohol abgeschworen hat. Er fürchtet um seine Gesundheit, da sein alkoholkranker Vater damals mit ähnlichen Symptomen verstorben ist.

Haakon segelt seit 4 Jahren auf dem Schiff Le Grelotter mit, das Eis aus Skandinavien zu den reichen Engländern bringt. In vielen Häfen hat er Frauengesellschaft gefunden, doch seine letzte Bekanntschaft hat ihn tief berührt. Und immer wieder denkt er über eine Rückkehr zu seiner Familie nach und der Entschuldigung, die er Aven und Thor schuldet.

Man ist ganz schnell wieder in der Geschichte drin und freut sich, erneut auf die sympathischen Figuren zu treffen. Die Geschichte wird durch eine ganze Reihe wunderbarer Nebenfiguren bereichert. Zum Beispiel die weise Heilerin Cora kann mit ihren Erzählungen überzeugen. Die Autorin schildert ergreifend die damalige Hilflosigkeit bei schweren Erkrankungen und das große Glück, das eine gelungene Geburt einer Familie bringt.
Man kann Haakons Ringen um seine vergangene Tat und seine Schuld sehr gut nachvollziehen. Wird er Heimkehren und versuchen seinen Übergriff wieder gut zu machen? Zentrale Themen des Buches sind Schuld, Reue und Vergebung. Das ganze Buch fühlt man stark mit. Sehr eindringlich kann die Autorin vermitteln, welche die Kraft das Gebet und der Glaube schenken können. Man kann verfolgen, wie ein große Schuld wieder gutgemacht werden kann.

Es kommt zu einem sehr spannenden Showdown, mit schmerzlichem Ausgang für manche. Es folgt ein zu Tränen rührender, herzerwärmender und hoffnungsvoller Epilog, der zeigt, wie Menschen sich doch ändern können. Gerne würde ich noch mehr über diese stolze Familie nordischer Herkunft lesen.
". . . a washing that only grief could do. One that cleansed away a fragile sort of rest so that what remained was the courage to seek joy and peace in the arms of the Lord amid a storm."

1894-95 Virginia.  The second book of the series. You can enjoy this story without reading the first book, but you won't get the true depth of the feelings and really understand the why of it all. The men's heritage is Norway, and they're proud of Norse bloodlines. The girls come from different areas (Aven is from Ireland). Haakan, one of the brothers, has been away after the explosive exit he made in the previous book. He is tortured by what had happened, and looks for relief in different outlets. Addiction runs in some members of this family. He has been a sailor, sailing to many different countries, but loving the land of their heritage the most. He decides to go back home to Virginia and try to make things right with his family, only to learn that his brother Thor is seriously ill. The struggle to rid themselves of the feuding neighbors, fighting for their very lives, combined with the stress of the previous happenings is told with such a great depth. The author describes what it is like for a deaf person and addiction so thoroughly, in such detail, that it tears you apart. But lessons in faith and how God uses even the dark places in our lives for good weave throughout this book. I love this series. It will make a wonderful addition to any library!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher and NetGalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
I don't usually read a book in a series if I haven't read the first one, but having heard so much about Joanne Bischof from other authors I enjoy, I thought why not?  Daughters of the Northern Shores was a good solid read.  I enjoyed the characters, the plot, and the pace at which the story moved.  She spent enough time developing the back story on the characters that I didn't feel lost (not having read the first book).
 I was confused by the title though, as the book seemed to focus more on the brothers of the family than of the wives, sisters, and other female characters.  Again, not having read the first book, that might make more sense to me if I had.
This was a great story, telling of the strength of the bond of brothers, and the women in their lives who grounded them.  The great rip that can happen in that bond when one betrays the others and leaves...….and the redemption and restoration upon his return; though not without great struggle and a whole lot of pain - and forgiveness.
I feel the author did great justice to the struggles and realities of the deaf, and authentically portrayed the language of communication between the deaf member of the family and the hearing.
 3 stars because it was solid, kept my interest, and I will definitely look for more by this author.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley.  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas Nelson publishers for the advance digital copy - and the introduction to a new (to me) author.
I enjoy reading books that are set at the turn of the century–of course, that is because I love historical works. So this second book in The Blackbird Mountain series by Joanne Bischof was the perfect read. The first story, Sons of Blackbird Mountain, was excellent, and the second novel, Daughters of Northern Shores, was equally wonderful.

This text is set in Virginia during the late 1800’s, and follows the Norgaard family. There are three Norgaard brothers—each with their own unique tale—and then several other characters who come along to either enhance or break the original family unit. This story is definitely one I could not put down, because I sincerely wanted to learn more about the people who lived on this beautiful mountain.

Thor Norgaard grew up facing his own set of troubles. Not only has he spent his days protecting his family and his land, but he has had to do so without hearing anything or anyone in the world. He was born deaf, yet thankfully, his brothers have always taken the time to communicate with him so he might better understand life. He is a force of nature though, and truly no one would want to upset him.

Even though he could defend himself, at present Thor must figure a way to unravel the mystery of the harm that has come to him. Sadly, there are several individuals who seek to find revenge, and the Norgaards must find a way to end the feud for good.

Haakon Norgaard is another brother who walks through life with heavy burdens. He cannot seem to move past tragic moments in his life—some that could not be helped and some of his own doing. He hopes to make amends, and he even risks his life for it. Will he ever be able to find forgiveness? More importantly, will others be able to forgive him? He hopes to stop running in order to finally make a life, but there is so much work to be done for that to happen. Can he help his family find hope in the middle of turmoil?

If you love adventurous stories, where people discover faith, love, and redemption, then you will enjoy this series. I highly recommend reading about the Norgaard family. In fact, I hope that Joanne writes another story soon—that’s how good these books are! Happy reading friends!
I had been anticipating this book forever it seemed, but actually it really wasn't all that long.  I could not wait to reunite with the characters that I fell in love with in Sons of Blackbird Mountain and meet any new ones the author wanted to introduce her readers to.

It took a long time for me to read this book, not because I didn't love it but because quite simply I didn't want it to end.  I have absolutely loved Thor from the beginning which is probably why he has been my favorite of the brothers. The author certainly makes you forget that he's deaf and that he has had a lot to overcome but he manages to live his best life with the woman he loves, Aven.  It was easy to love her and I kept thinking what a perfect fit she is making me wanting for her to have the best and happiest life she possibly could.

As much as I don't like to admit it, I truly didn't warm up to Haakan and maybe it's because I still harbored ill feelings towards him from the first book.  I did appreciate the difference in him in this book but I wasn't as happy with him as I wanted to be.  I'm sure other readers will feel different which is the beauty of having another perspective but the best perspective is your own which is why I encourage readers to pick up a copy of this book. I suggest reading Sons of Blackbird Mountains first because it is such a fantastic read.

Overall, this is another beautifully and thoughtfully penned book by the author.  This is the second book I've read by her and I can say that she is now one of my must read authors and I am looking forward to what she has in the future for her readers.

I received a complimentary copy of this book and was under no obligation to write a review.  All opinions are my own.
Oh my goodness! I adored the second book in Joanne Bischof's Sons of Blackbird Mountain series. Joanne's writing is rich and draws you into the story. To see the love between Thor and Aven is breathtaking, and Haakon's story of redemption pulled at my heartstrings. The climatic scene had me spellbound. I hope Joanne Bischof plans to continue the series. She had quickly become one of my favorite authors.
Thank you to Thomas Nelson for providing this book through Netgalley for my honest opinion.
I can’t begin to tell you how excited I was to read this book.  I anticipated it like my favorite dessert; I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it, but I also wanted to savor every moment.  The depth of characters Bischof writes takes my breath away.  I find myself thinking about them when I should be sleeping.  They are absolutely some of my favorite characters ever written.  Thor is one of a kind in every way.  I first met him in Sons of Blackbird Mountain, and have been in love with him since.  Aven has his heart though, so I guess I’ll have to share.  His brothers Jorgan and Hakkan were also easy to love, though they each have their faults.  Daughters of the Northern Shore took me on a journey from the frozen shores of Norway and back to an apple orchard on Blackbird mountain.  I loved every moment.  Bischof had me laughing, holding my breath, and crying.  I can’t recommend this book enough.  I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers and Netgalley and was in no way forced to post a review.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Oh my.  I did not read the first book in this series but I must now do so.  I cannot express how this book touched my heart.  It is a story of love, forgiveness, and redemption.  The characters Aven, Thor, and Haakon were so detailed that you feel you know their every thought and emotion.  This is a new author for me and I am so glad I found her.  Thanks to Thomas Nelson and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
This is the second book in the Blackbird Mountain series;  Sons of Blackbird Mountain was one of my favorite reads last year.  I really enjoyed visiting the Norgaard brothers and family again in this book.  Highly recommended for fans of historical fiction and Christian fiction.
Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson-FICTION for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Although I was not familiar with the author or with this series, I found that it was very clear what was happening to all the characters. Daughters of Northern Shores is a Christian historical romance that centres on three estranged Norwegian brothers living in Virgina in the 19th century. Well, the youngest brother, Hakkon, is working on a ship while his two brothers, Jorgan and Thor, are on the family land with their wives. When Hakkon returns, will the brothers be able to reconcile their differences?

I feel a bit mixed when it comes to my feelings after finishing this story. As I mentioned in my first sentence, this was certainly a book that I felt easy to read. However, at about 70% I began to skim the pages and I never really felt connected to either Aven or Thor. Hakkon, on the other hand, was quite the fascinating character and his "prodigal son" role was much more interesting than the situations Aven and Thor found themselves in.

I am sure this book will be the answer to readers who loved the first book and it was a pleasure just to read a nice story.
I have come to expect a story from the pen of Joanne Bischof to be one that slices straight to the heart with its truth and tenderness. Daughters of Northern Shores is no exception. With its return of beloved characters and a message of trust at its center, it is one I will cherish upon recalling (and REREADING!).

With a balance of poignancy and vivid life, the story unfolds as one tentatively hopeful yet confronting pain, broken trust, trials, and jealousies of life. The rift left unsettled at the end of Sons of Blackbird Mountain is brought to light with Haakon’s wanderings and, eventually, steps to mend it. And oh, what a heart-trial that is!!! His prodigal journey is aided with wisdom from beloved women and the hesitant restoration of his brotherly relationships.

While Haakon seeks his place on Blackbird Mountain, Thor and Aven contend with fears and joys of their own. Again, Joanne Bischof handles subjects such as Thor’s Deafness, prejudice, and even childbirth with a delicate and reverent approach, honest when necessary and revelatory in manner with others. Reading this story is like witnessing the lives of the Norgaard family, being a part of their sorrows and sharing in their hope – most importantly, their trust in a Savior to see them through even the hardest of battles.

Daughters of Northern shores is a novel to treasure and one to make you think of the impact just one person can have. It is an encouraging story that reminds the reader to hope when there is no clear path ahead. And, to hold family and friends dear, always extending grace.

Thank you to Prism Book Tours and Netgalley for the review copy. This is my honest review.
Joanne paints a beautiful picture of hope and heartbreak, forgiveness and redemption, family ties and the longing for home.

This sequel to Sons of Blackbird Mountain did not disappoint. I was on the edge of my seat (except for the brief lapses into the backstory of the previous book--yet these seem to make it accessible even for those who haven't read the first).

(I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.)
I simply could not wait for this sequel to Joanne's first book in this series. 'Daughters of Northern Shores' did not disappoint and had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. The characters in this book are so relatable and make you want to root for them. Though at times predictable, I thoroughly  enjoyed the continuing journey of the Norgaard family and the adventures that awaited them. A satisfying ending to their story, I can only hope for just one more book in this series! It left me wanting more!
Book summary: Aven Norgaard understands courage. Orphaned within an Irish workhouse, then widowed at just nineteen, she voyaged to America where she was wooed and wed by Thor Norgaard, a Deaf man in rural Appalachia. That the Lord saw her along the winding journey and that Aven now carries Thor's child are blessings beyond measure. Yet while Thor holds her heart, it is his younger brother and rival who haunts her memories. Haakon--whose selfish choices shattered her trust in him.

Having fled the Norgaard orchard after trying to take Aven as his own, Haakon sails on the North Atlantic ice trade, where his soul is plagued with regrets that distance cannot heal. Not even the beautiful Norwegian woman he's pursued can ease the torment. When the winds bear him home after four years away, Haakon finds the family on the brink of tragedy. A decades-old feud with the neighboring farm has wrenched them into the fiercest confrontation on Blackbird Mountain since the Civil War. Haakon's cunning and strength hold the power to seal many fates, including Thor's--which is already imperiled due to a grave illness brought to him at the first prick of warfare.

Now Haakon faces the hardest choice of his life. One that shapes a battlefield where pride must be broken enough to be restored, and where a prodigal son may finally know the healing peace of surrender and the boundless gift of forgiveness. And when it comes to the woman he left behind in Norway, he just might discover that while his heart belongs to a daughter of the north, she's been awaiting him on shores more distant than the land he's fighting for.

My thoughts... Reading this book reminds me of the amazing bread pudding I had for dessert the other day: warm, comforting, delicious with every bite, and I didn't want it to end! This is just how I felt while reading "Daughters of Northern Shores."
     When I finished the first book in this series, "Sons of Blackbird Mountain," I was in love with the Norgaard family. The way that Joanne Bischof wrote each character endeared them to me. I immediately wanted more of their story. When I saw that there would be a sequel I waiting in eager anticipation then downloaded as fast as I could!
     After years of living peacefully, the Norgaard's family life is shaken up again with the return of Haakon and the sudden illness of Thor, which impacts the rest of the family, particularly Aven. The tension is high as the family navigates how to extend forgiveness to Haakon. The parallel to the Biblical story of the Prodigal Son is so beautifully written. There is also a mysterious element as they try to discover the source of Thor's illness.
     I really can't say enough about how much I love this series (because you really need to read both books)! The balance of romance, tension, spirituality, and exquisite detail make for an excellent reading experience!

**I received a free copy of this novel from the publisher via netgalley in order to give an honest review, which I did.**
Haakon Norgaard fled his beloved home on Blackbird Mountain after attacking his brother Thor's beloved, Aven, and has spent the past four years working on sailing crews around the Atlantic. Running away hasn't made it possible for him to forget what he has done, though, and the time comes for him to stop running and try to make amends. Returning home, however, will be the most difficult thing he's ever done, as it means owning up to what he has done and trying to regain the trust that he has shattered. When he returns, he finds Thor and Aven wed and expecting a child--but Thor is also deathly ill and their enemies, the Sorrels, have made it clear that they're ready for a fight to end their longstanding feud. While the family doesn't exactly welcome Haakon with open arms, they need his strength and expertise to protect their home and one another.

Ah! I loved Joanne Bischof's writing style. It flows so well, with wonderful descriptions and great word choices. I also love her characters, with flaws right alongside their strengths. These characters just capture your heart--from Thor, with his deafness and his strength and his tenderness, to Haakon with his wildness that can't quite overshadow that deep-down goodness, to Aven who loves fiercely and faces life with such courage--and you just can't help but root for them and be swept up in their stories. I loved the first book in this series, and I"m glad to be able to emphatically state that this book is just as lovely and enjoyable to read. One of the best books of 2019!