Making a Poem

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Nov 2018

Poetry, to me, is a very subjective matter. What I like,no one else might like and vice versa.

My favourite poem in this book of poems is "End of an Affair". It just hits me and sits in my chest heavy and light at the same time.
I doubt I'm even qualified to speak about poetry, so please judge for yourself.  Mr Naik has a very unique way with words and descriptions,  he uses English in a different and interesting way, quite delightfully.
This book tries to be simple in a very exaggerated way. I get it the intention, but for me, poetry is a bit deeper than that. I like the way this book was organized in sections. Although I wish I could find a greater poetic glow here. The poems tend to be a repetition of the same topics all over again. «Reading a book of poems may not be that innocent. A guilt» after this sentence, my favorite, in fact, I lost all the hope to get mesmerized by this book of poems.
Very brief, but memorable read that packs a punch and will linger a while after you've finished.  Will definitely check out more of the poet's work on the back of this.
Making a Poem by Vihang A. Naik is fine poetic work, if only a brief reading experience.  Many of the poems are quite short, but Naik makes valuable use of these lines.  A recommended text for readers who enjoy powerful literary work, and those who want to see how a small number of words can pack a strong punch.