Cover Image: Something Like Happy

Something Like Happy

Happiness is an ambiguous feeling. It is thoroughly subjective, for starters. Your definition of happiness is different from mine. In fact, the meaning of happiness keeps changing with time. And that makes the pursuit of happiness that much tricky. In the book Something Like Happy (SLH), ninety-two-year-old Archie tells Nick while waiting for an ambulance, “You’ll know when the call hits you, lad…But also don’t forget things can change. What you need at one point in your life might not be the same some other time. Look at me. Twenty years ago, I couldn’t have thought of leaving the mountains. Now I’m really happy to be close to our Maisie and the family. You just have to listen to your heart, lad.” The novel is peppered with unpretentious gems of wisdom like this one.

A romance novel, SLH takes a light-hearted look at how people navigate and articulate their mental health, including their grief. For the most part, this navigation and articulation is a work-in-progress; the legacy of loss and the accompanying sadness largely looming. But human beings are resilient. They manage to make it through one day after another. They learn to let their loss change them. So, when Jade, who has experienced this loss, meets Nick, who is so close to giving up, who saves whom? Something Like Happy is the story that answers this.
this was my first book by this author. I really enjoyed this book from the beginning.  I would read more from them.  really liked the way this book was.
This is a simple book about simple people dealing with everyday problems which we simply try to avoid. This is a everyone's story.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this. I will be posting a full review to Goodreads, Amazon, and Instagram.
Drew me  right in to the characters mental health struggles so real.A multilayered story where the characters live life struggle with their issues  can live life a mostly normal day to day life,.A book that brought  a tear to my eyes and kept me turning the pages late into the night.#netgalley#harperimpulse
The writing was good and so were the characters I was just left waiting for something more and different
Tackling the often taboo subject of mental health this was a lovely easy read. Perfect to read if you or someone you know suffers with depression.
Loved this. My first Sasha Greene book and definitely won’t be the last.
It’s the story of Nick and Jade. He’s suffering with poor mental health and she’s dealt with mental health issues in the past. They met in the most unconventional way and we learn more about their lives as the story unfolds.
Very well written, you are able to bring the characters and places to life in your head with the vivid descriptions.
It was difficult to put down as I was keen to  see how the plot developed. The ending wasn’t predictable which makes a refreshing change.
Jade is just trying to get by. She doesn’t want to talk about it. She doesn’t want a fuss.

But one day she meets Nick and everything changes.

Out of the most difficult of situations, Nick and Jade’s friendship grows into something both of them never knew they needed.

Jade used to be sure that she was better off alone. But could it be that together, with Nick by her side, she can start to feel something like happy again?

I didn't love this as much as I hoped. The changing POVs were a little confusing and took me out of the story every time it happened.

*Book received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
Loved this book, all the characters were brilliant, and the storyline was perfect. However, parts were quite sad and i did shed a few tears!
I absolutely adored this one. I very quickly fell in love with noth Jade and Nick. Dealing with my own mental health issues and having a brother who passed away recently due to mental health did make some parts hard to read, but also made me connect with the story that much more.
After reading some bad reviews on this book, I just knew I had to give it a go. You can't help but like the characters of Jade and Nick. I also believe any book that brings awareness of mental health, deserves recognition.
With a few tweaks here and there I think those bad reviews will stop. I enjoyed it 3.5*
This was a very relatable book about a very relatable character. We all have "one of those days" and this book does a great job at showcasing the internal voice of someone struggling with mental illness and how big of an impact having a friend makes. One thing that could be improved is the storytelling as it was a little confusing to follow at times.
It's positive to see mental health issues being dealt with so readily in fiction and I liked this book especially for the way the issues were portrayed as only one facet of the character's lives. Just as in real life. Written with a light touch and in a readable style, it was nonetheless thought provoking.

Many thanks to NetGalley and to the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
On the anniversary of her sister's death, Jade visits the bridge where she jumped and finds Nick about to commit suicide.  Trying to help him, she decides to meet with him to complete tasks on her "happy list ".  This soon turns to friendship, then a relationship. But can Jade fight the crippling depression in Nick that took her sister?
Although I liked the different pov in each chapter , I found Nick's character extremely needy and annoying. I like that Jade was able to stop blaming herself for her sister's death by helping others. She made a really strong, positive character.
Jade has recently lost her sister and Nick, having just moved to Glasgow, is finding it hard to fit in. It is hard to find real connection and friendship as an adult.

Jade finds Nick on a bridge contemplating suicide. The story begins when Jade decides to share her happy list with him. Can Jade and Nick find an answer to happiness?

This book deals with the impact of mental health issues so beautifully. It doesn’t dramatise them nor does it make them seem insignificant - the issues are dealt with honestly and ordinarily, as they are in real life. I read this book in one sitting and really enjoyed it.
Round up to 3.5 stars.

Something Like Happy is easy to read, although heavily focused on mental health (trigger warning).

Jade has had a tough past year, dealing with the death of a family member, when she meets Nick, who is having his own troubles and finding difficulty in his move to Glasgow.

Pushing aside her grief, Jade decides to help Nick discover different ways to find happiness and refocus his energy in a more positive manner.

But will it be enough to get Nick out of his depression? Will her efforts only remind Jade of her own grief, or help her accept what has happened?

Greene does a solid job of writing about mental health issues cropping up in the daily lives of everyday people. She creates relatable characters and realistic situations we can see ourselves and those around us in.
I wanted to like this book.  I have dealt with mental health issues in the past and was looking forward to reading a fictional book about it but I wasn't sure how it was going to be.  I love reading Chick Lit books however this subject matter was just too heavy for a easy read.  The constantly changing point of view was disjointed at best.

#netgalley #somethinglikehappy
Based on the description I was really excited for this book, couldn't wait to jump into it. I love books about mental health and when done right they can be life changing. See Matt Haig for this kind of material. this however was not quite there. I actually didn't care that much about the characters and found myself bored at times...
Thanks to Netgalley for this book! I went into this book knowing nothing about it, which was a blessing; because if I had, I might not have picked it up at all.
Not to say that I didn't like this. Quite the opposite.

The story opens with Nick on a bridge, getting ready to kill himself.  He's had a bad day, but on top of everything else that's been going on, he's more than ready to end it. Jade happens upon him and talks him down, convinces him to meet her next week to do something on what she calls a 'happy list' and that's where the story begins.

The story is simply written and what you see is what you get. However, the subject matter is immediately recognisable. To everyone who's suffered from depression at one point, so much of Nick's life will ring true. Jade's guilt, her reluctance to be with Nick who is clearly troubled but unwilling to seek (professional) help; all are emotions that we might have experienced at one time or another.

Having said that, I thought the writing seemed rushed in parts. The plot lacked certain details necessary to understand the motivations of the character better. I'm not entirely sure what Nick's great idea at the end even is.

Overall, this is a simple, breezy read which is perfect for a saturday evening read, curled up in bed.