The Princess and the Fangirl

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Jun 2019

Could i be more disappointed than this? NO!
Is this book written by the same writer of Geekerella? How could that be! it felt so superficial, way too rethoric and it just fell flat to me. I loved Geekerella, it was perfect and fun, this was quiet boring and i felt unconfortable way too many times.
Another sweet story from Ashley Poston. It's fun, geeky references and story telling narrative are highly appealing.
I adored Geekerella so when a companion novel was announced I knew I needed to read this as soon as possible! It even includes some of our favourite characters from Geekerella but it's mainly focused on two new main characters and their romances.
The author has definitely packed a lot into the story, I'm not sure if it would have been best to focus more on one of the love stories to ensure it gained the depth it needed rather than lightly display two romances.
I did love the switch between the two characters, it was a fun and upbeat story just like Geekerella. It didn't quite match up to the previous book with all its charm and cuteness but it was a very close second. I will definitely reread both novels whenever I'm in need of a geeky fix.
I have to admit that I haven’t read the first book, Geekerella, and I didn’t get many of the references. That being said, I found it to be an easy, fun and cute read, and I did enjoy it.
The Princess and the Fangirl is a loose retelling of The Prince and the Pauper where a celebrity wants to be recognized as an acclaimed actress and a person and a fan just wants to be somebody. Having played Princess Amara in the movie reboot of cult sci-fi show Starfield, Jessica Stone has been battling the crazy Starfield fandom who has trolled, bullied, and even sexually harassed her. She is thankful that her character has died at the end of the movie and she can now move on to more serious roles and be recognized as an actress with a capital "A". Fangirl and self-proclaimed nobody Imogen Lovelace idolizes the independent space princess and is campaigning to #SaveAmara.

When the look-alikes collide at the annual ExcelsiCon and switch places each gains a new perspective on fandom. I liked this novel but it was slow going for me. I had a really hard time warming up to Jess. I understood her dislike and confusion to the importance of Starfield, but she comes across so mean and abrasive. Of course her prickly personality is come with her experience of being a young actress who is constantly needs to be on the alert for exploitation, trolling, sexual harassment among other things. Once Jess's walls come down a bit as she revels in normality and hesitantly explores romance with Imogen’s online friend, Harper Hart, she becomes relatable. I really enjoyed Imogen's chapters with her bubbly personality and her desire to be in the limelight and spars and sparks with Jess’ personal assistant, overly serious Ethan Tanaka.

I liked how this book addresses the toxicity of fandom, which we have seen in many popular fandoms. Diversity is heavy highlighted as interracial and same-sex relationships are central—Jess and Imogen are white, Harper is black and female, Ethan is Japanese-American, and Imogen has two moms and a gay brother, but this inclusion feels natural and doesn't come across as the author checking boxes off. I also liked the gender-bending aspects of fandom, cosplay, and cons. The very unlucky situation is acknowledged and entertainingly explored. Readers who have read Geekerella will smile at some of the returning characters. A cute and breezy read.
Well, once again I have to admit that I liked a fluffy classic retelling more than I wanted to.
When I read "Geekerella" by Poston last year I honestly didn't think I would enjoy it, but dang it that book wormed it's way into my cold fantasy-loving heart. "The Princess and the Fangirl" did the same thing.
This is a retelling of "The Prince and the Pauper" told from the perspective of two teenage girls. Jess is an actress on a famous science fiction series, "Starfield," although she's hoping her character's death remains permanent in the film's sequel.
Imogen is a super geek, and a super fan of Starfield. She is also spear-heading a campaign to save Jess's character, Princess Amara, from her death. She also just happens to be Jess's doppleganger, and they end up switching places at a convention.
Overall, I thought this story was pretty cute (yes, it was predictable, but it's a classic retelling for goodness sake, it's supposed to be predictable). It's obvious who the love interests are going to be from the beginning (admittedly this does have a good hate to like romance), but Poston developed them well and they were adorable. The main relationship is between Jess and another girl, and it was so cute, I blushed several times throughout the story.
I also really liked what this book had to say about fans' treatment of movie stars online-particularly that of women in traditionally male centered stories. Jess is treated much like Kelly Marie Tran of Star Wars-terribly by entitled white men on the internet. This is one of the primary reasons why Jess wants her character to stay dead, and we see her abuse online firsthand throughout the book. Jess also mentions that she has it much easier than other LGBTQIA+ people and people of color online, which was an intersectional moment that I appreciated.
Overall, I thought there were a few too many pop culture references in here (at least one on every page), but I really liked this.
I need to preface this by saying that I liked this book, and I will continue to read books in this universe if Ashley Poston keeps writing them. But I wanted to enjoy this book more than I did. I loved Jessica Stone as a side character in Geekerella, and was so excited to see more of her. I think this one felt rushed to me, so I wanted more. All in all great, but personally I enjoyed Geekerella more
This book was the perfect sequel to "Geekerella" and I enjoyed every minute of it!

To get to know Jessica better, and her special enemy Imogen Lovelace. These characters were the perfect fit for this book and I loved how different they were, but how much they resembled each other, not only in appearance. The whole character set with old friends and new enemies was amazing and made the story fast pacing, witty and funny. I also loved, that this book is super LGTBQ friendly and has all the fandom knowledge for the geek in us!

The story line was fast pacing, full of action and still slow pacingly beautiful in the romance department. We have frenemies, enemies to lovers, homosexual couples and all the geeks. What do we need more? The book begins, where "Geekerella" has ended, and while I dislikes Jess a lot in the first book, I now love her to bits, though Imogen is my real hero! In the second book someone is leaking the script for the second star field movie, and while Jess wants nothing more to finally know that her character Amara is dead, is Imogen trying with everything she has to #saveamara. I loved how they wanted something entirely different and still managed to stay together and work together. I loved Ethan and his whole behavior!

Okay I think you all get it: If you need a fast contemporary book with geeks, love and betrayal you need to read this one - because I savored every word!
Lovely story!  I enjoyed reading this and think the girls in my classroom will enjoy it as well!  This would be appropriate for middle and high schoolers!
Thank you to Netgalley for providing a copy of this boom in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Oh, so adorable! What a great retelling of Prince and the Pauper set in the same world as Geekerella including many favorite characters. What a wonderful treat of a read. I would, personally, recommend reading this after Geekerella. I think it flows much better as a sequel and in order to understand and fully appreciate the fandom world Poston has skillfully created. Plus the books together are just so much fun!
I would describe this book as CUTE. I wasn't expecting a Prince and the Pauper retelling and two pretty adorable love stories and I thought it was so fun to read.
It was also a whirlwind story, since it takes place over just a couple of days at a Comicon type convention. Normally, I'm not really a fan of whirlwind stories, but this one is very well written and felt like it handled lots of character growth in a very short time.
Hi! This is my review of The Princess and The Fangirl, i gave it 4/5 stars
*I received an e-arc from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Perfect combo of fun fluff with a confetti cannon amount of pop culture geekiness too.

This, like Geekerella, is perfectly enjoyable. There are times when the language feels a little older than the characters and due to all of the pop culture references, this is one that may feel quite dated years from now. But, overall, I’d recommend it.

You know how people always ask for beach reads? This is like that...but maybe at a con, not a beach. 😉 Pick up a copy of you’re looking for some happy fuzzy feel good vibes.
This was incredibly sweet and fun and nerdy. I loved the characters, I'm always a sucker for a book set at a con, and the writing was very quick and fun. I also loved the romances and the hate-to-love friendship, and I will definitely be continuing this series. I kinda hope it goes on forever and ever and ever.
Fans of Geekerella should definitely pick up this companion novel, set in the same Starfield-loving universe. While Geekerella was a Cinderella retelling. The Princess and the Fangirl is a Prince & the Pauper re-telling. In this modern version, our Prince is Jessica Stone, a famous actress set on moving on from portraying the famous Amara in the Starfield reboot, partly because of the intense, sexist hate she receives online for her portrayal. Our Pauper is Imogen Lovelace, a fangirl set on reviving Stone's character from death, a campaign she feels is the only thing she can say she's been somewhat successful at. When the two girls meet at a comic con, their lives intertwine and both learn about each other, and how to live their own lives for themselves. Features girl/girl relationship.
Another fantastic book by Ashley Poston! I couldn't put it down. I give it 5 out of 5 Margaritas. This is the book to read this summer and I very highly recommend it.
Just as cute and nerdy as Poston first book, but maybe even better? Oh nerds, you make my heart go wild.
Cons are great and sci-fi series are amazing. Please give me more Poston!
ust over two years ago, I fell in love with a little geeky book named Geekerella and promptly went about yelling at everyone to read it. It became a new obsession, and honestly, not much has changed. I still yell at everyone to read it. So I was SUPER EXCITED when I found out there would be a second book set in the Geekerella world, but instead of a direct sequel (honestly, Elle & Darien have their happily ever after so why bother them?), this new story is a companion that focuses on Darien's costar, jaded Hollywood darling Jess Stone. I don't know about you guys, but I'm all about companions so it's all good for me!

A huge part of the charm of Geekerella is that it's a love letter to fandom from someone who intimately knows and loves fandom. Ash Poston is a fangirl after my own heart. She's someone who truly understands both the fandom life and the con experience, and it's beautifully reflected in this series. But for all the fangirling and squeeing and fanmade products and the overall joyous side of fandom, there's also a darkness, a sludgy toxic awfulness that pervades even the happiest of fandoms. This is the #GamerGate side. The Star Wars and Ghostbusters purists who ran Kelly Marie Tran, Daisy Ridley, and Leslie Jones off social media. The butthurt Marvel fans who tried to torpedo Captain Marvel on Rotten Tomatoes. Geekerella gave a few glimpses of this, but it is in The Princess and the Fangirl that the readers witness just how stressful it can be to experience hate from fans. TP&TF is an unflinching look at the abuse and harassment that can stem from loving a fictional universe too hard. It's one thing to be picky about details (in this series: the color of Darien's jacket in the movie is not blue enough to match David Singh's jacket from the original Starfield series. Real life example: Hermione's dress being pink instead of periwinkle in Goblet of Fire), but it's another to be outright racist and sexist, both of which are shown in TP&TF.

I'm so glad Ash showed this. Fandom is a beautiful part of my life, but I've witnessed a lot of ugliness over the years in different fandoms. I've refused to become an active member of certain communities as I've seen that toxicity from the outside, and I also see it in communities in which I AM an active participant (*cough*BookTwitter*cough). I think TP&TF does a fantastic job of examining harmful behaviors and their consequences, and I'm grateful for it. If members of a community don't recognize their words and actions can be anywhere from hurtful to outright harassment, there's no way to fix it.

And Ash very adeptly connects how small behaviors have the ability to become outright harassment. In this case, Imogen is determined to #SaveAmara, and readers witness how that affects Jess's life. Imogen had the purest of intentions; she just wanted to see her favorite character redeemed. Imogen's story is seeing the fandom from Jess's point of view, and her arc throughout the book is growing to see the dark sides. In contrast, Jess gets to see Starfield and the con experience through Imogen's pov, and after only seeing the darkness, she's surprised by the sweet sincerity of much of the fandom.

I'm probably making TP&TF sound all dark and depressing since it's about exploring the negative aspects of fandom. But have no fear! This is an Ash Poston book, after all! TP&TF also has a LOT of sweetness and fluff, just like Geekerella. There are two romances, one f/f (I believe Jess is demisexual, but I can't confirm) and one m/f, that will have you looking like the heart eyes emoji.

There's stargazing at a con party (look: con parties are a hell of a good time!) and hate-to-love (my drug!) and teenage shenanigans and fully dressed people flirting in a pool a la Miss Congeniality. There is a mystery to be solved, and Darien being a full-on nerd, like we know and love him to be. There are easter eggs for fans of all kinds of franchises (I may or may not have teared up every time the good good boys of The Adventure Zone were referenced), and a lovely character who is a touching homage to Carrie Fisher, the first lady of fandom.

The Princess and the Fangirl is so much fun to read, but it also made me examine my own relationship to fandom. It's thought-provoking AND it's sweet and fluffy. YES! THESE BOOKS EXIST! Books can BE fluffy and also full of substance! It's about being honest. It's about anxiety and how most of us struggle with not feeling like we're enough. It's about trying new things and trusting people and putting yourself out there. It's about learning to be confident. It's about love and friendship and family, and it's about being delightfully, unabashedly nerdy and not apologizing for it.

I absolutely adore this series, and I'm so grateful that it exists. I think The Princess and the Fangirl is the perfect companion to Geekerella, and I hope you love it too. Which is why I'm giving away a signed copy! Scroll down for details!
Given how much I enjoyed Geekerella, I was very excited to receive an advance copy of  #ThePrincessAndTheFangirl from #Netgalley. I thought I'd love it too. But alas, I did not love it. In fact, I struggled to get through it, and took far longer to finish it than I should have. There were aspects of the story that I really appreciated, but the book was really dragged down for me by what I didn't appreciate. Mostly an inability to connect with the main characters.
So, what did I like? I LOVED the diversity! both love interests are POC, and one of the romances is LGBTQ+. Many of the supporting characters, if not most, are LGBTQ+ as well. Imogene has two (loving and supportive) moms, and a handsome, overachieving gay brother. The diversity felt effortless and beautiful and we need more writing like this. I also loved that this was a retelling of the Prince and the Pauper. That story rarely gets retellings, perhaps because it's difficult to imagine this happening in our social media-saturated culture, but this story retold it in a sort-of believable manner. I liked that this story examined the dark side of fandoms as well as the good side. Jessica's experiences mirror much of what real-life actresses in fantasy/ sci-fi movies have endured. And the story was a good reminder that the celebrities who are so easy to trash online are real people too, who feel pain at the kind of treatments they often receive.  I also liked Harper, who was fun and creative and beautiful and open, and I liked Ethan, who was responsible and guarded and neat and tidy and loyal and geeky.
Frankly, every character was geeky in some way. There was so much geekery in this story that it was almost too much. Representation is great, but if I heard a character exclaim "Starflame!" one more time... So yes, the geek aspect got laid on even heavier in this book than it did in Geekerella, and sometimes it was a little too much, perhaps a bit forced and cheesy. Even for a book set at a con, starring characters within the orbit of the Starfield film. In general, this book, like Imogene, is a bit, well, TOO MUCH. the character's choices are often impractical/ unrealistic/ over-the-top. The ending felt even more frantic and rushed than the end of Geekerella (and that ending was my least favorite part of that story), and wrapped everything up a bit too neatly at the end.
But the biggest detractor for me for this book was...Jess and Imogene. Imogene is a straight up hot mess who seems addicted to bad life choices, and Jess, while she's got some understandable issues given what she's going through, was really unlikable for most of the story.  I could not connect to either character, and that made me really struggle to want to pick the book up. As Jess opened up as the story progressed, I could see how she could be more likable, and even lovable for her special someone...but I never really figured out what would attract someone to Imogene. I mean, her family loved her, of course, but she seemed exhausting to be around otherwise. Maybe it's just a teenage thing that I am not getting because I'm out of the target demographic now? Perhaps.
I will say that the author captures beautifully the diverse and frenetic nature of geeky cons. And it was mostly nice to see the two couples from the last story pop up throughout the story (if a little sappy at times). But that wasn't enough to carry this book. I hope it's just me, not the book, and thatothers enjoy it more than I did, because it seems to be an earnest love letter to teen geek life. As it is, I'm not sure I'll bother reading the third book in the series.
First off, I will forever be amazed by the number of nerd references that are within these 316 pages. The amount of knowledge that one needs to write this is incredible, and I want to give the author a standing ovation for this.

Now, let’s get into this review. The Princess and the Fangirl pick up right after the first novel, Geekerella. While they don’t have to be read in order, there are references to the first novel, so I recommend reading Geekerella first. With that, this book follows the same convention, but the following year. Readers follow Imogen Lovelace, a convention lover and nerd all around, and Jessica Stone, famous actress for the Starfield movies.

Done in true Princess and the Pauper style, these girls switch places and live each other lives in order to accomplish their goal (but that will remain a secret…).

“I have a princess to save. I don’t need some hunk-a hunk-a-burnin’ love clouding my head—.”

I absolutely loved both of these girls. Imogen, or Mo, is kick-butt and smart with comebacks, but also loving to her brother and her mothers (YES!). Not to mention, the banter between Mo and Ethan is adorable, being that the amount of tv show references from them are some of the best conversations ever. Jessica is a whole other story, being stuck in a job she hates until she meets the right person…

“The horizon is wide, and I have a girl to kiss.”

There is romance in this novel, the perfect hate-to-love kind, but there is also major girl power, which I LOVE!

I am fully looking forward to the next book since this series is the perfect combination fo nerd references and YA writing.