Cover Image: The Princess and the Fangirl

The Princess and the Fangirl

Oh, what an absolute JOY this was, and a wonderful companion to Poston's GEEKERELLA. THE PRINCESS AND THE FANGIRL is the perfect summer read that will no doubt make you laugh. I loved how immersive this contemporary world is, and how relatable the characters are! I also appreciate how clear it is that Poston loves fandom and lets that love seep through every sentence she writes—especially when this is an area many can be all too condescending of.
Ashley Poston is simply incredible! Her characters always feel so real and the world building in her contemporaries are so impressively deep. You can tell she is also a fangirl, as none of her comments on fandom or personal fan passion feel condescending or untrue. The Once Upon A Con series is the perfect fit for any fan of fandom.
If there is anything about fandoms/comic con/geeky stuff in general, then I’m here for it. Always. I always feel like I’m reading about my own group of friends, and in a world that I can relate to. Plus, it makes me happy, and what more could you want when it comes to a summery, YA novel?

Imogen Lovelace is an ordinary fangirl on an impossible mission: save her favourite character, Princess Amara, from being killed off from her favourite franchise, Starfield. The problem is, Jessica Stone—the actress who plays Princess Amara—wants nothing more than to leave the intense scrutiny of the fandom behind. If this year’s ExcelsiCon isn’t her last, she’ll consider her career derailed.

When a case of mistaken identity throws look-a-likes Imogen and Jess together, they quickly become enemies. But when the script for the Starfield sequel leaks and all signs point to Jess, she and Imogen must trade places to find the person responsible. That’s easier said than done when the girls step into each other’s shoes and discover new romantic possibilities, as well as the other side of intense fandom. As these “princesses” race to find the script-leaker, they must rescue themselves from their own expectations, and redefine what it means to live happily ever after.

Now, I absolutely loved Ashley Poston’s previous book, Geekerella for the same reasons as I mentioned before. I love the whole world of Cons, how hundreds and hundreds of people from everywhere come together to enjoy the same thing. One of the things that I enjoy about this series is that the books are light and fluffy, which makes them easy reads that are perfect for rainy days, or lounging by the pool.

The Princess and the Fangirl is a gender-swapped retelling of The Princess and the Pauper which is a story that I love anyway (does anybody remember the Barbie version? That was amazing!) Another thing that made my day when I was reading this was that there are some characters that you will recognise from Geekerella. They are in no way the main characters in this book, they are mere passers-by, but the nod that Poston gives to her other book put a smile on my face.

“I am a kaleidoscope of hope and dreams and wonder in the shape of a girl. I am not a porcelain doll. I am not empty. I am worthy of. I am enough.”
– Ashley Poston, The Princess and the Fangirl

I always wonder how people can swap places for a day… It really baffles me how no one seemed to notice that Imogen was in Jess’ place, and Jess was in Imogen’s… Like… I know some people just have those ordinary faces where they’re just not… much? It sounds so bad!! But, how could anyone not bloody realise? Confused. So confused.

What I liked about The Princess and the Fangirl was that it showed the opposite side to fandoms: the side that people don’t want to admit that exists. And that is the hateful, competitive, keyboard warrior side that hurts A LOT of people, which hates change, and anything that goes against their idea of what is canon. I think that this quote from the book sums this up perfectly:

“There are dark sides to every fandom. The pockets filled with a certain kind of nostalgia where everything is sacred and shouldn’t be tampered with. Where new things are always trash, or judged too harshly, or not up to some unknown holy standard. Where new people with new ideas can’t touch an old sinking ship even if it’ll repair it—make it better than before.”
– Ashley Poston, The Princess and the Fangirl

This book – even if it did show the negative side to fandoms – was still a cute read that featured an f/f romance (which is what we like to see!) There was a diverse cast, sarcasm, witty dialogue, and characters that you can’t help but fall in love with.

Even though I preferred Geekerella to its companion novel, I definitely enjoyed The Princess and the Fangirl and will 100% be picking up the next book in the series!

Disclaimer: this book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review
Another very cute read and romance in this universe. Love the diversity of the cast and well rounded characters. Excited for book 3
"There are stories that you tell and stories that tell things to you; stories that win awards and stories that win hearts. Sometimes they're the same. Sometimes they aren't. Sometimes the stories you want aren't the ones you need, and the ones you need are the ones you never thought you'd like."

The Princess and the Fangirl is a sweet, and very enjoyable read - much like Geekerella. If you're acquainted with fandom dynamics, then you'll probably laugh a lot while reading this. However, The Princess and the Fangirl also touches on more delicate subjects - snobbery, inclusivity, self confidence… I really enjoyed this read, and highly recommend reading it if you liked Geekerella too !
Fans of Geekerella or Queens of Geek will adore this bantery, nerdtastic sequel to the former. The m/f ship steals the show, while the f/f ship is cute but rushed. Good fun.
This is a LGBTQ modern twist on The Prince and the Pauper. The second book in the Once Upon a Con Series follows Imogen Lovelace who wants to save  her favorite character, Princess Amara in her favorite show Starfield which we saw in the first book in this series. The actor who plays Princess Amara Jess Stone could care less if her character dies or not. A mistaken identity between Imogen and Jess happens which causes them to be enemies. Jess accidently throws away her script for the upcoming season on starfield and gets leaked online. It is now a mission to find out who took it and who leaked it online. Jess and Imogen come together and switch identities to find out the truth. As they try to find out more information they begin to find out more information about themselves and there friendship develops. This is a cute modern retelling. If you enjoyed the first book in the series read this next!
Fun and quirky in a way that keeps the story inviting but reads with a fresh feeling. Love the revisiting of familiar tropes with the awareness and knowledge of their incarnations.
I loved this sequel! It was just as funny, quick, and unique as its predecessor. Poston makes characters that you just can't help falling in love with. I also enjoyed how the story focused on different characters, but also incorporated the others from the previous book.
Another great book by Ashley Poston. As a nerdy fangirl myself, I love the universe she has created around ExcelsiCon and Starfield. The Princess and the Fangirl was cute, fluffy, and all around enjoyable. I can't wait to read more books set in this universe.
Jess Stone does not want to play Amara ever again. In The Princes and the Fangirl, Jess is stuck at ExcelsiCon, the convention for Starfield fans, when she literally runs into Imogen Lovelace, a Starfield superfan who bears a striking resemblance to Jess. I really enjoyed this sequel to Geekerella, a fun Prince and the Pauper adaptation. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series!
I am loving the continuation of this series from Ashley Poston. We revisit ExcelsiCon from 'Geekerella' (book 1) but this time we're following Darien's costar Jessica Stone as she navigates the con while trying to save her career even though she's over being Princess Amara and is hoping that Imogen's push to save her character will fail. Poston gives a fresh new take on the classic 'The Prince and the Pauper' with high stakes chasing a script leak through social media while dodging fans and just the general madness that can be a con. Super fun and flirty and perfect for a light romance read. It's like a lovely Hallmark movie nerd style and I am HERE for it and want more. I'm looking forward to the third installment coming this fall.
This book is everything my gringy self needs. There is large amounts of geek, cuteness by the truck load and an adorable retelling of a familiar tale.

Book two is just as good as the first in the series and I am looking forward to much more from this author. Geekerella was such a blast and Princess and the Fangirl is a great ride.

I don't do summaries in my reviews. I want you to read them for yourself, and usually there is a summary above that will whet your apetite enough.

READ THIS BOOK. I loved it.

I received this book as an ARC from Netgally in return for my honest opinion.
First of all, this book can be considered a stand-alone, though I wholeheartedly recommend reading Geekerella first anyway, because it gives you a background of how the other characters truly are. I mean, Darien and Elle make their cameos in The Princess and the Fangirl, and their cameos are all the more satisfying to read knowing their back stories.

TPatF, however, takes a different look at fandom itself, in both the eyes of a celebrity like Jessica Stone, and the eyes of a fan who would do quite a lot to save her fandom. It takes a look at the ugly side of how fandom works; how actors are under the pressure to meet fan expectations, and what happens when one's goals and dreams are not quite the same as what the fans want. The book also takes a look at harassment at cons, as well as the trolls of the internet age, which I thought brought a realistic depiction of the negatives to any fandom, popularized or otherwise.

And I appreciate that Poston adds all of this, because fandom isn't exactly all happy-go-lucky (though, tbh, why shouldn't it be at the end of the day?!). There are people who take fandom one step further than normal, and that kind of ruins the view of fandom for many. Which is what Jessica Stone is seeing throughout the book, which makes it sad.

BUT. Ashley Poston isn't wrong on that count. Without adding those negatives, how do we really appreciate fandom itself despite the trolls and the haters?

Well, she wrote it right here.

But let me get to what I really loved about this book, and that's the characters. Particularly Imogen effing Lovelace.

Imogen is a huge, huge Starfield fan. When the rebooted movie of Starfield--starring Darien Freeman as Carmindor and Jessica Stone as Amara--ends up with Amara's character essentially dying, there is a clamor within the fandom community to bring Amara back to life. At the center of it all is Imogen, who creates the #SaveAmara movement that gets a pretty decent following within the Starfield community. When Jessica Stone makes a deal and switches identities with her (for reasons Imogen doesn't know entirely), Imogen finds that she can push forth her initiative through a new platform.

It does not work out the way she really wants it to, but when do crazy schemes usually do in books?

Still, I love Imogen to bits. I love her character development--which she gets a lot of because of her experience posing as Jessica Stone. I love her inner monologues and constant reference to pop culture. I love that she continues to have an idealized version of love up until she actually does fall in love. But mostly I just love Imogen.

Because I swear, every other Imogen-ish saying made me laugh throughout her POV. Also, it doesn't hurt that her meet cute is with a boy she accidentally spills coffee on, and the rest is history kind of thing. (Though in this particular case, the romance is slightly more muted when you don't really get the other side's POV as much as we got Dare's side in Geekerella. That's just me, though.)

But once again, I think Poston really catered to the fangirl in everyone by writing this book, and the ensuing books that's going to come out from her Once Upon a Con series. I think I could continually read whatever she comes up with because it does make my inner nerd squee when there are homages to fandoms that goes beyond the science fiction.A lot of the references are geek-centered pop culture, sure, but you'd have to really look and see if you can catch all the references, because that's probably my favorite part of Excelsicon in its entirety. It's catching them all that's the best part.

So did I love this more than Geekerella? Not gonna lie, I didn't? But that's not saying much, because while I absolutely ship-stan-will-go-down-with-Darielle-in-a-storm, I am so very entranced with The Princess and the Fangirl as well.
A solid YA novel that was a good purchase for my library. Students have read and enjoyed it, and I purchased it because of this review copy.
Adorable coming of age title. Has a similar feel of The Prince and the Pauper, but holds its own in the new world of retellings.
Unfortunately, I did not get. the chance to read this ARC prior to its release--I'm hoping to work through my backlist now that we're home for the coming weeks!--but we did end up buying this book for the library collection.
I enjoyed Geekerella when I read it but when I started Princess and the Fangirl i realized just how much of Geekerella did not stick with me. Couldn't remember the plot of the book or even character names....so that made this one hard to get into. I gave it the old college try but ended up DNF-ing at 30% in. Thanks for the opportunity to read but in end this one just wasn't for me.
The Princess and the Fangirl was a wonderfully lighthearted and charming read. The F/F romance was really sweet but ultimately I didn't enjoy this one as much as I expected to. I had to keep flipping back a few pages to remember who was who, and who knew what, maybe knowing the original this was based on (and having read Geekerella) would have helped but as a standalone it fell a little flat.  The two characters were quite similar but I felt that we didn't really get to know either of them outside of their respective romances.
I absolutely adored Geekerella when I read it a couple of years ago and was looking forward to the follow up books in the series so much I kept putting the arc off because I was worried I wouldnt love it as much. Unfortunately I was correct, although  did enjoy some of the cute, quirky and nerdy moments in this story it just didn't have the same adorableness I loved from the first book. Both of the romances felt very rushed but I was still rooting for them in the end. The reasoning for Jess and Imogen switching in the first place just seemed very basic didn't really feel like a good enough reason to lie and risk their career.

I am still looking forward to reading Bookish and The Beast because im hoping it will bring back the nerdy romance I was looking for in this book.