The Way Home

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Mar 2019

Many of us would like to escape the daily grind, the excessive accumulation of stuff or our reliance and dependence on technology. But few of us have the courage and wherewithal to make it permanent and make a living from it.

However, pioneering-spirited author Mark Boyle has done just that and recorded it all (by paper and pencil, no less) for us to witness second-hand. In this no holds barred, gritty reality read, the true cost of living off the grid is compellingly told.

It takes physical strength and fitness, flexibility, initiative, mental toughness and perseverance to be self-sufficient and succeed at it. Having a partner to help share the work and woes is an added bonus. As is living in a place of natural beauty and abundance.

The author had already tried living for a year without spending any money, which is an admirable feat in itself. He applies the same dogged determination here as he learns to live off the land and adapt his life to the seasons. His diary is engrossing, entertaining, illuminating, informative, and laugh-out-loud humorous in places.

Tested to the utmost, he seems to love the soul simplicity this lifestyle offers him. Lest we think of it as a reclusive idyll, it's clear that a strong community spirit exists. Sharing skills, food, laughter, help and support are a vital part of the success of this project. And it's also a labour from dawn to dusk to consider how to eat and survive.

There are advantages too, of course, including having a healthier lifestyle, being a valued part of a thriving community and giving back to others, as well as being your own boss. I was fascinated by it all and grateful that the author was commissioned to write a book about his experiences.
Well, I don’t aim to insult/offend people within the first sentence of my review but I think I would not be overexaggerating if I said that about 80% of the modern, first world population – at the very least counting 70-80% of Europe- would NOT at all be able to follow in Mark Boyle’s footsteps. I am not fully cut out for that either, no matter how much I would like to be. Kudos, Mark- you’re my new hero!
The Way Home is more than an experiment agreed on a night out to live without technology. Mark’s bloody serious about it. It’s going back to the roots, the hard and back-breaking and dirty way but damn if it ain’t rewarding for the soul! I am talking about no phone, no computer- want to reach Mark? Write him a letter, on paper with pen, and pop it in the post. No fuel/electricity powered tools, no cars, no tractors – get a wheelbarrow to deliver stuff from A to B and cycle or walk where you need to go. It’s not just the small, immediate stuff… Mark has to think ahead. Waaaay ahead to survive the winter coming, or prepare for the spring ahead to survive the winter coming. Store food… make sure there’s plenty of firewood. Store food… how simple it sounds. But it’s not! You need to tend the ground, make compost, maintain the crops, harvest the crops and then do various things with various produce to make it last.
But the most fascinating aspect of this book for me was the time-keeping… I have always wondered about what it would be like if we simply no longer had clocks on the walls and on our mobile phones and smart watches and all that shebang telling us to constantly be somewhere, to constantly rush to the next destination, when to wake up, go to sleep, eat, everything! Mark said no to the concept or time keeping as we all know it and I am just fucking jealous that he gets to experience it! I am! It must be absolutely marvellous! Just let the body adjust to not feeling like there’s a someplace to be because the clock says so; fall back into the natural rhythm and do things because your very survival and wellbeing depends on it. Go to sleep when it gets dark or when the body is drained after a day’s work and wake up when you wake up and keep going about life. Sounds self centric? Hell yes. The way it should be- we should live and BE HERE for ourselves, not for a greedy corporate agenda. No matter how high and mighty we humans think ourselves, we’re still simply a part of nature just like wolves, pigs, trees and fish. We’re just lucky to be at the top of the food chain so to speak.
Ah, this was a book I thoroughly enjoyed. If it’s about making the light shine on living the natural way, I am all ears. Mark also has this wonderful, lovely way of telling about his daily life. Maybe it also helped that he lives in rural Ireland where people are friendly and stick together. It’s a very personal account as Mark takes us through the seasons and days and wins and losses. I’m not there, I’m not living it but I could feel the joy of it all. Hardships included.
Boyle lives without electricity in a wooden cabin on a smallholding in County Galway, Ireland. He speaks of technology as an addiction and letting go of it as a detoxification process. For him it was a gradual shift that took place at the same time as he was moving away from modern conveniences. The Way Home is split into seasonal sections in which the author’s past and present intermingle. The writing consciously echoes Henry David Thoreau’s. Without even considering the privilege that got Boyle to the point where he could undertake this experiment, though, there are a couple of problems with this particular back-to-nature model. One is that it is a very male enterprise. Another is that Boyle doesn’t really have the literary chops to add much to the canon. Few of us could do what he has done, whether because of medical challenges, a lack of hands-on skills or family commitments. Still, the book is worth engaging with. It forces you to question your reliance on technology and ask whether making life easier is really a valuable goal.
Refreshing, thoughtful, and poignant.  I definitely couldn't do myself what Mark Boyle has, but I certainly enjoyed learning about his journey and reasoning for doing so.
Such an interesting look at our relationship with modern technology and convenience compared to the neglect that brings of our basic instincts, survival skills and bond with nature and a slower pace of life. The harsh reality of living with so little is clear but the journey he takes and the perspective gained was very interesting to read and gives some food for thought
I really enjoyed this book. But mainly because I was reading it and not living it! The author really does go 'off grid' in Ireland and how he manages and the ways he develops his life and his land are fascinating. I won't spoil anything in this review but it's fair to say his life isn't easy. Mr Boyle is an excellent writer and his prose is quite poetic, "Even seasoned it weighed as heavy as an unkind remark, and all we had for the job were hands, shoulders, knees, and pigheadedness." Luckily for us there is plenty of pigheadedness but also brilliant neighbours, funny encounters and genuine reflection on life in this book and I'd recommend it if you're becoming remotely concerned about your reliance on technology. I felt a bit guilty reading it on a kindle...

I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review.
This was an interesting book and the detail of how he made decisions fascinating, however, unlike most reviewers here, seemingly, I didn't really take to the author.

My review linked below https://librofulltime.wordpress.com/2019/05/10/book-review-mark-boyle-the-way-home-amreading-netgalley/
I enjoyed this book very much!  I always thought I would want to
live like this growing up, but now at my age, I had to enjoy it through
Mark Boyle's experiences!  Great book!
There is a single line in the blurb that hooked me: 'No running water, no car, no electricity or any of the things it powers'. Why would someone want to live like that? How could you give up the material things in life that make our lives comfortable?

These and more questions are answered in the book. It's an interesting read. The author has previously lived without money. In this episode of his life, he lives simply - he hunts and fishes for food and grows his own vegetables. He does have money, so can pop to the local pub for a beer. People come and go on the smallholding and sometimes stay and help for a while. If this wasn't the case, I would imagine it could be a very lonely existence!

It reminded me alot of 'The Runner' by Markus Torgeby, although the lives of the authors are very different yet each has chosen a fairly solitary and simple way of life.

Even the process of writing the book, on paper and getting to publication without the use of a computer is an interesting concept these days. I hope Mark Boyle continues to write. This was almost a 4 star read for me, but I felt that it was just a bit too brief, I would have liked a bit more soul searching! I have just found a promo video for the book and it shows Mark walking into the log cabin where he lives and on the way, you see the woodpile he talks about. I think that is what I was missing - I would prefer a hardback version of this book with pictures to bring it to life.

Thank you to Netgalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I think we all know that we spend too much time these days glued to our devices and consuming a constant stream of (bad) news, social media and mindless videos, but a book like this really makes you think about it. It’s the account of the writer’s decision to cut ties with the modern world. He moves to a small holding in a remote part of Ireland and lives without any modern technology - not only no phone, computer or internet, but no electricity, nothing more advanced than what he can make himself with simple tools. He wrote this book in pencil by candlelight. I loved it because it didn’t come across as at all preachy - it’s a Walden for the 21st century, a gentle reminder that other things matter, and that we do have other choices. The book is a series of stories and realistations rather than following a particular narrative, but it feels like an honest glimpse into a very different way of life.

The irony of the fact that I read it on my e-reader is not lost on me. Still. I highly recommend it.

Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for this ARC.
This was an interesting book. The author towed the line of being preachy but seemed to reality politics and instead just concentrate on his feelings. It was a unique point of view to live simply in the digital age and I appreciated how he did it by his own constructs
Really enjoyed this. A perfect mix of anger, wisdom, stillness & kindness about our relationship with the world and spending time with it felt like stepping away from the noise for a while.
The author’s mission statement in his own words: “Interpreted another way, there is a timeless simplicity about my life. I have found that when you peel off the plastic that industrial society vacuum-packs around you, what remains - your real needs - could not be simpler. Fresh air. Clean water. Real food. Companionship. Warmth…..There’s no extravagance, no clutter, no unnecessary complications. Nothing to buy, nothing to be. No frills, no bills. Only the raw ingredients of life, to be dealt with immediately and directly, with no middlemen to complicate and confuse the matter.”

His life is NOT simple. It’s full of hard work, all day long, all seasons, one whole year where he left everything behind, on which the book is based. That is after one whole year of living at the properly-built farmhouse in the three acre small-holding he bought during Recession. He moved out of that farmhouse, built a cabin instead and lived in it and on the property without ANY amenity - and all sorts of self-sufficient work, to get by. This is his story, for that one year’s excursions (and putting his philosophy on life into practice).

Even if you make it through the haze of self-referential promotional detail of the author’s written work and many anecdotes / quotes he shares of other authors, instead of getting straight to the point, I lost interest in the author’s journey when on page 29, in the middle of winter season, he describes his bathing ritual (light a fire in coal, put a pot to boil, bring the tub from outside into the cabin, put a washbasin in it and ‘depending on which body part I’m washing I’m either kneeling in the bathtub or hunkered over the washbowl, splashing around or using a flannel. It takes over an hour.’ No mention is made of any washing lotion / soap but the author gave up on detergents of all sorts 10 years ago when he was 27, which he declares as the reason he hasn’t been sick in a decade. He uses wood ash and horsetail plant to clean up dishes and ‘soapwort liquid’ for clothes. He doesn’t mention what he uses for his hands and butt but I’m guessing it’s soapwort because he says it is good for skin and hair too; He empties bucket of his shit, so let your imagination run with that image because there are none here). I understand what the author is trying to experience through an off-the-grid, totally au-natural, medieval existence (he says he is saving bowhead whale, Arctic fox and beluga by not having water pumped electronically into his cabin or having radiators to get hot water and showers), but it was a bit too much for me. I mean, what is the meaning of life if you cannot even have or enjoy basic plumbing or a hot bath or proper butt hygiene? The author’s idea of Eden seems like an addiction to extreme survival sports. He finds it all pleasant.

Apart from what transpires at page 29 - what I consider to be a major hiccup to an otherwise inspiring true story of an admirable, confused man’s dream of how to spend his days - the book is study of a man practicing his convictions through discipline, hard work and perseverance. I am fully aware that the author will never see this or any other review unless it’s handwritten and sent via post-mail to him, however I do wish he had included his annual calendar of tasks done in specific months to ensure continuity and provision of goods, food and basic care to property. That would have been useful. There are also no pictures (or Kristy’s illustrations!) in the ARC I have. Real bummer. Maybe the publisher could have sent someone to his place to take images.

Also, I don’t know what the use is of cutting down trees (beech and birch) just to warm up your place (no word on how he controls wood from disease, termite) and reading paper-books, instead of ebooks because the tree loss is huge in both cases and makes his work against nature as opposed to pro-nature. Or whether he plants new trees each spring (he planted new trees in 2013 before moving in the farmhouse).

All his neighbors are really old people - like one leg in the grave kind of old (fifty to eighty year olds). No one has children living in.

How do you read by the fire without electricity? They used CANDLES (2-3 a day but stopped altogether six months in). And of course, he made the candles: in June, a cuts rush from the potato field, turning it into a candle wick for winter (when light is dark or dim for 16 hours daily!).

They piss ‘outside’ the cabin. I can only imagine the smell around the cabin! They poop in a bucket and then throw it out in a ‘humanure system’ - let that sink in first: what it means is that the compost pile used to grow veggies and all contains human piss and shit (“of everyone who lives here and a few visitors….in it I see stories and memories and history and a great link between a place and its people” says the author as a way of explaining bond between land and people). He has 6 compost heaps and he turns them over on another when they shrink in size. I found all this to be ‘ewwww,’ but it did clear up the great big mystery that had engulfed me for 139 pages - where he produces manure from (since he doesn’t raise cows or buffalo, only chicken, and hunts / kills deer) or does he buy it?

The author is heavily influenced by Henry David Thoreau, whom he mentions constantly.

The author believes that ecological impact of industrial-scale technology and agriculture is that it depends on oil rigs, quarries, mines, the factory system, state armies, deforestation, urbanisation, suburbanisation and damage to rivers and fish and environment, but he goes a step further. He also feels strongly about the dependency that society has for technology, amenities and stuff and his actions are all about getting rid of the psychological and practical dependency over things and comforts. This means that though the author still enjoys cartoned peanut butter, ninety-nine percent of his time on the remote place is spent doing hard labor simply to exist. Of course all neighbors help each other out, that’s what poverty-stricken people do - stick together. It’s unpaid labor. This means there would be no migration or exchange of ideas from foreigners because everything is generational and exclusive. The world left that concept behind a long time ago when rising population coincided with lack of resources. He in effect is surrounded by people he does not necessarily like, but needs for various freebies. His conversations with neighbors and those in pub are superficial at best - with them either agreeing with him or he merely putting up with their life stories - with no real connection or divergent wisdom, when all of the people he likes and is close to, far far away. But I get what the author is doing, he wanted to go back to a time when people had more control over their lives and accepted what they didn’t have and enjoyed the daily pleasures of a simple co-existence, with a deeper connectedness and humility and kindness for each other - but I have to say, he has chosen a very lonely way to accomplish it.

The author hates big business and Silicon Valley billionaires (Exhibit A: “Now I suspect that supporting a corporate football team is a sort of toxic substitute for our basic need to belong to a tribe who are all bound by the same common purpose. But when one player you roared on one season signs for a rival club the next, for 90 million Euros, the joke starts to wear thin.”)

The book shows the author to be in incredible shape to be able to do hard labor to achieve a non-dependent lifestyle. He works in the field to grow veggies, carries wooden carts, cuts wood, skins deer, walks 14 kilometers, endures harsh weather, and does all sorts of odd jobs around the land all by himself. This is a lot of work just to survive. I don’t know how his partner was killing time but it grows clear soon that she is not happy there.

He mentions eating (deer) meat after being a lifelong vegetarian. My guess is he’d have to, with all the unforgiving work he has to do in a day.

He doesn’t mention whether he and his girlfriend/ partner are using natural methods to control getting pregnant or she’s on the pill or whether he got the snip right after unplugging his phone and computer and before he ventured on this remote place, or she got the tubes done. It probably doesn’t matter because she isn’t living with him by the end of the book - she writes a ‘Dear John’ letter (that’s 5 years, 2 girlfriends and 1 small-holding; he doesn’t want kids).

The author is either not a fan of music or prefers birdsongs (by thrush, goldfinch, bullfinch and magpie). He didn’t learn the tin whistle like his girlfriend Kristy told him to and he has to take her to a pub for her to tap dance to ‘electronic’ music.

There’s a real sense of isolation and frog-in-the-well mentality. I would have gone nuts like Nicholson in ‘Shining’ (and I suspect the author is on his way there too - or he’s extremely brave).

Honorable mention: ‘a friend…..met a small village-worth of women on the banks of remotest part of Pakistan, washing clothes together, laughing, talking, being playful.’ (I have to put a disclaimer here: clothes are washed like this IN EVERY PART OF PAKISTAN, whether a community is together at it or just a help maid or single individual!)

Second Honorable mention: The Great Blasket Island.

And the line: “I’m in the hot tub with Edward Abbey. All 336 pages of him.”

There’s a lot of alcohol drinking by the author in this book (yes, it’s culture and tradition, but all the hard labor got me wondering whether it was not also an escape or coping mechanism?) He grows raspberries and blackberries for this purpose and got 22 kg of blackcurrants for free from a friend who grows them but doesn’t have buyers because people don’t make jams and preserves anymore. The author figures it will take him a day and a half’s work to make 75 liters of wine and 20 jars of jam. Even the conversations he has with others in pubs, or which he shares in this book during his mundane travels, are about miserable people trying to justify what society has lost in its pursuit of progress, probably because the author doesn’t care if the whole world goes up in flames, as long as his cabin doesn’t. And this is a man who has worked as an activist, businessman and digital journalist but thought it best to go back to the olden days when people rode station wagons and did not hurt native species, except for an occasional deer.

The author ‘runs’ a free hostel and event space at his small-holding called The Happy Pig, whose kind-of address that he provides gives a general idea of the place only: “Knockmoyle, Kylebrack, Loughrea, County Galway, Ireland.” He doesn’t give out directions. He wants you to just show up at the door. Once there, you are literally on your own, self-reliant for food and entertainment. And you can guess where and what the loo is - unless the hostel is in the farmhouse with running electricity and working plumbing - but that would not sit well with the author: he wants you to take a risk, experience not knowing, learning and enjoying an uncoded nature, wild, and unbroken.

At the end, having typed the manuscript himself so that it does get published (though swearing that he will one day write with his own pen, ink and paper aka quill, ink-cap-mushrooms, birch polypores and dryad’s saddle fungus), the author reminisces whether he’ll continue to live like this and mentions that he isn’t done exploring human beings, their depths and layers and how he feels we are all cloaked in from the moment we are born and he would like to see people without the masks and ‘ambition, plastic and comfort.’ My only question is how will he ever do that if he continues to isolate himself from the the rest of the world? Imagine, a bearded man in a moorish Irish land whom you may meet if you go there and he may meet you if he has the time! Besides, he’s still in love with Kristy.
The Way Home is an interesting book about how one man decided to leave behind technology and all modern conveniences and live a more simple life. Mark Boyle lives on a smallholding in Ireland. He goes to great lengths to remove technology completely from his life, so it makes for a thought-provoking read.

Boyle decided to live without money first and that led him to also decide to live in a way that our ancestors did. Throughout the book, he documents the lives of the Blasket Islanders, who lived on the Great Blasket Island in a very similar manner to Boyle’s life on the smallholding. They had to be completely self-reliant and they learned to survive in a harsh environment.

Boyle begins as a vegan, but he finds that it cannot be sustained in the type of life he has made for himself, so he does eat fish, which he catches himself in nearby waterways. He walks or rides a bike everywhere and refuses to use mass transportation. He hauls wood, manure, building supplies, and just about everything else in wheelbarrows or other human-powered devices. He does not use tractors to work his farm, preferring human power to gasoline power. He writes with pencil and paper and agonizes over having to type the book manuscript at the end.

Part of his farm is a hostel at which people of similar mind can stay. They make their own food, grow their own herbs, harvest wild plants, and eat meat that they hunt or fish. The neighbors are all supportive of his endeavors and some donate items that he uses for building, etc. But, these folks that live in this rural lifestyle also see their way of life disappearing. Large-scale farms and technology are replacing it. Their local pubs and post offices are being closed, as often happens in rural areas. So, Boyle’s book is, in a way, documenting the kind of life that most of us will never get to experience as it is swallowed by the larger tech world.

The pacing of the writing is slow, as befits the fact that it was written with paper and pencil by candlelight. It seems to be more of an exploration of his daily experiences and similar to a diary account in that way. But is it also an account, in real time, of how he gave thought to each step along the way. How he decided what to use in place of the modern technology for each item or project that he completed on his farm. He also explores how these compromises change his life and his outlook on things in general. How doing everything by manual labor improved his overall health. How he felt physically affected by actually spending 12 hours a day for 7 days typing up the manuscript. He noticed the negative effects right away after having become more accustomed to a totally different way of life.

The book is sad as well. I found the times when the forests were clearcut around him, or his favorite wild spot on the river got cut down and turned into a fenced farm, very sad. It’s disturbing to see how nature is slowly being destroyed to make way for humans and our high-tech way of life. I wanted to cry when that beautiful spot on the river was plowed under. It supported so much wildlife and they had nowhere to go.

This book may not be for everyone, because it does move slowly at times. But it is interesting to those of us who would like to try this way of life. It gives you an idea what might be required to do so. It would be a lot of physical work and require some sacrifices for sure. But it would be nice to try it. It can only make positive changes in our outlook. Slowing down is not all that bad an idea after all. We live in such a fast-paced world now that slowing down actually requires us to unplug and deliberately turn away from that pace. In my opinion, this would be a good thing, not only for us, but for our planet as well.
This is a great read and much better than I thought it would be. I really enjoyed the added history the author included as a way to show how things were done before technology. I also like his honesty about defining technology. It really depends on your point of view and how far away from the origination of the technology you live in.
A different view from what I was expecting.   I never knew about the author's moneyless adventures, but this one really took me in.  Interesting how he reacts to little things like someone asking them to dial a number or to take a picture.  At times is seemed to drag a little bit, but then picked up again.
This was a wonderful read for me - I love books that mix a kind of memoir-style with a focus on slow or 'simple' living and this one absolutely hit the mark for me. (Pun not intended - sorry!) I feel like this is something I will be picking up again to reread from time to time, to get my priorities back in check. Whilst I appreciate everything that technology does for me - connecting me to the outside world (due to my chronic illnesses and the oft-necessary isolation that they bring) being one of the most important - I am wary of being 'connected' all the time. I think something is lost when we live our lives completely online, and I really enjoyed watching Mark Boyle explore what technology meant to him, how he wanted to let it impact upon his life, and what he chose to prioritise instead.

This book can be intense at times, but also remarkably cozy, and I highly recommend it for anyone out there who, like me, prefers the slower things in life.
"...You know that industrial capitalism is nearing the completion of its ultimate vision when people have to pay their neighbors to go for a walk with them..."

From the very start a relaxed and engaging accounting of Mark Boyle’s adventure in living for one year without technology. Mixed in with digressions of interesting personal anecdotes are Boyle’s philosophies that are based on scientific fact and not at all self-righteous or pretentious.

"...I make myself a cup of chocolate mint picked fresh from the herb garden, lie up against an old willow tree, and watch the world go by.  I’ve a lot of things on my mind to do but, for medical reasons, I decide that it’s best to just lie here for a while.  The two wood pigeons in the Scots pine in front of me are doing much the same…"

A year ago my spouse and I decided to sell our home in Melbourne, Florida as well as our cabin in northern Michigan in order to live and travel in a self-contained travel trailer. The free-time and de-pressurized lifestyle has aided us in relaxing more and regularly enjoying our favorite recreational activities. Both of us have been beaten up with injuries sustained in our previous lifestyle of juggling too much work with just a little play. We are better able to cope with our personal recoveries with the reduction of our prior self-imposed responsibilities. The biggest difference between us and Mark Boyle however is our continued reliance on internet technology. We stay attuned to a little streaming sports and news, our email, cell phone and text messages, and this particular writing machine.

"...As we use the ‘humanure’ system here, which incorporates human piss and shit into the mix, there’s a part of everyone who lives here, and a few of the visitors, in the heaps in front of me.  Most people, having never done it, find the thought of turning this kind of compost disgusting, but that’s just one way of looking at it.  In it I see stories and memories and history, and a great link between a place and its people.  All I am really doing is making soil, and that seems to me a good way to start the day as any. And in doing so  I’m continually reminded that the boundaries between us and the land which nourishes us are nowhere near as clear as we might like to imagine…"

My wife and I have a Nature’s Head composting toilet in our Oliver travel trailer. And because we live in the trailer full-time the toilet requires at the very least bi-monthly maintenance. When that day comes I remove the two screws holding the toilet down to the floor and carry the entire contraption outside. I generally just dump the contents in varying parts of our forest floor to allow the coco coir to continue decomposing the accumulated mass. After wiping down the toilet I refill it with coco-coir,  adding two one-gallon bags of expanded fresh coco coir to the toilet, mixing in some pine pellets and a bit of natural bug-deterrent. The exercise is not something I detest nor is it gross and disgusting. It makes me feel closer to the earth and more responsible for its stewardship. Flushing gallons of fresh water down the drain every day is something we no longer participate in.

"...If you don’t make time for health, you have to make time for illness…"

The above quotation is so true. And simple. The older we get the more it resonates. Our past comes up to catch us and we see the error of our ways. Mark Boyle has produced a fine and interesting textbook as well as a memoir of life worth living. I am sure there will be more.

"...(Krishnamurti once remarked that ‘it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’)..."
I got about 20% of the way through this book but did not finish it. The story was very slow paced and I did not find the author's reasons for going without technology to be compelling or interesting to me. I thought this book would be like Stranger in the Woods, but it was far from that. I think some will find something in this book, it just wasn't for me.
I found this an eye opening read. I’m sure a lot of us think we would be better off without technology & want to cut back on our social media use, but this is taking it to another level - not only social media, but gas/electric & most modern technologies that we would class as everyday comforts (or just take for granted without thinking about them). Mark builds a new cabin/house on his smallholding in rural Ireland, and this book charts his life & how he gets on with this completely new way of life.

It’s an inspirational read, and although I doubt many of us would go to these lengths, it does make you think about the important things in life. I thoroughly enjoyed this & I’m definitely going to search out his first book now.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.