All the Wrong Places

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 May 2019

I just wasn't that into this book. The characters were unlikeable, the plot was long and drawn out and everything about it was comparable to a really bad teen horror movie book of cliches.
What I couldn't get over was why wasn't anyone else in Boston worried about this supposed serial killer? It would have been much more interesting to have that be more of the plot instead of the fluff with an 80 year olds birthday party. Yes there were a few mentions of the missing "Tiffany" but no one really seemed on alert about women going missing in the same time frame or in regards to going missing after online dates.
The killer was your classic cliche killer - mommy issues, loves to cause pain and watch things die, good looking, charming, kill the girl with rope and dump her body kind of killer. Boring. And he might have been the most boring part of of it all.
I was drawn into reading this thinking it was going to be a psychological thriller with online dating as the premise of the story. This was more of a story about the family dynamic between a bunch of women with the killer as a side note that honestly could have been removed from the story and it wouldnt have changed the story much at all.
The ending was pure disappointment. I was going to DNF so many times but was hoping for a twist or something exciting.
Thanks to the publisher, author and #NewtGalley for my free ARC in exchange for my honest review.
*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review.*

This book hooked me in and I didn't want to stop reading to see where it would go! While the ending made sense, I didn't like one bit and felt like I had immersed myself in the characters' lives for no real reason. I usually love this author, so not sure what happened to me while reading this title.
4 women are looking for new relationships. A man is hunting for victims online. It's clear where this is going from the very beginning, so there's not a huge amount of suspense. The convoluted plot, overly complex and dramatic pasts of the female characters (which, perhaps ironically, made them feel like dull, stock thriller characters), and gruesomeness of the killer's crimes made this a tough read. Unfortunately, this one wasn't for me.
I have always loved Joy Fielding's books and it is no surprise that this book is as great as all of her other books. This book is about online dating at it's worst! Very t interesting story line seeing how the serial killer manipulates these women. Loved this book !!
I wanted to enjoy this, but I had a hard time getting into it. I doubt I will review it elsewhere, and although I probably won't go out of my way to handsell it at my store, I will not discourage others from purchasing it, either. I know she is a popular author... But this book was just a miss for me. I'll try another of her novels in the future, just to see if I like it any better.
I rate this 4 stars out of 5. I always enjoy books by Joy Fielding. It was a quick, entertaining read.
I didn't really know what to expect from this novel, but I was pleasantly surprised with a fun and entertaining read. It wasn't exactly as suspense filled as I was hoping, and most of the action didn't really happen until the very end. BUT, it still held my attention and had me flipping pages late into the night. The characters were interesting and I loved the family dynamic between Paige and her mother as well as Paige and her cousin. I'm always a fan of family drama (in books, not real life)!

This novel was a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it to readers who enjoy a light suspense novel filled with high strung family dysfunction. It was entertaining to read and I think readers of all genres will enjoy this novel. Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for sending this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Rating 3/5
Ballantine Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of All the Wrong Places.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

When a serial killer using online dating as his trolling grounds targets four woman connected by friendship or family binds, will their lives be forever changed?  Will a compulsive need for an outside human connection doom the four women?

I have read Joy Fielding's books for years, but have not enjoyed the more recent ones nearly as much as the previous novels.  The attempts at misdirection only serve to muddle the plot, leaving a less than satisfying taste at the end of the novel.  All the Wrong Places is a psychological thriller with some suspenseful moments, but just not enough to propel this book to higher than average.  I did like some of the characters, especially the relationship between Paige and her mother Joan.  The perils of online dating has been well documented in novels as of late, so there was really no sense of anything unique or remarkably interesting.  For these reasons, I would be hesitant to recommend All the Wrong Places to other readers.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

This was one of those books where I kept turning pages, but I'm honestly not sure why. At various points, I would consider giving it a DNF, but something I still can't identify kept me reading.

I just had a lot of problems with this book. First, I didn't really like any of the characters, or care about them. I know there were some I was supposed to love and some I was supposed to hate, but I just felt blah towards all of them.

Also, there was barely any mystery or suspense of thrills. There were so many side plots, all full of supposed drama, and when the suspense finally came, it was so rushed. The end twist was a good one, but I saw it coming a few chapters away.

Sadly, I just can't recommend this one. I'm still not sure why I took the time to finish it.
I have read every book that Joy Fielding has written so when I got this one I was so very excited. She is a great thriller writer, but this one was a tiny bit of a disappointment. It had all the makings of a great thriller. It had the killer, victims, reasons, friends, family, everything you would expect from one of Ms Fielding’s books. The problem I had was that it didn’t focus that much on the killer. I mean it had him of course and it told some vague things about what he did. He was very evil but it gave no reason for why he did what he did. The ending felt unfinished. The last girl, who was a key player in this book, was never mentioned. She was never found??? The killer disappeared without a trace? What was up with that unless maybe there is going to be a sequel which I highly doubt because I have never read one of her books that didn’t end and the bad guy always got caught.

While I did enjoy this book it just didn’t seem like the other books that this author has written. I felt kind of cheated. I liked the characters. They were well developed and you will feel like you know them. You will love to hate about three of them and love the rest. I loved the things that came out of the mouths of Chloe’s children. They were so funny. I was glad she decided to have a life and be happy and that her and Paige were so close. I can’t say much without giving things away though. Paige’s mom was a very nice lady and I was happy she found love at 70. Gives us hope that some things don’t die when we get older. Ha ha But seriously.....

I have to thank NetGalley and Random House Publishing-Ballantine for the ARC of this book.

I only gave this a 4 star rating because of some things noted above. I did enjoy it and I do recommend it to my friends who love to read. It was an enjoyable book. Just a bit off for other books I have read by this author. I will continue to read her books though and wait for another one.
I really enjoyed this book and I’m giving it 3 out of 5 stars. It was party mystery, there was some comedy and a lot of companionship. The characters were well developed, I was intrigued about what would happen next and I definitely wanted to keep reading to see what happened next.
I thought the plot line was interesting and connected well with how single people currently explored relationships via social media. This book relates to the reader in the way of dating and using an app to forge relationships, but in a thoughtful, insightful way. This book also did a great job of keeping the mystery fresh...you never know what type of person is on the other side of the computer.
I am  HUGE fan of Joy Fielding and have been for years. I was so excited when I saw on NetGalley that she had a new book coming out ! Even more excited when I was approved to read it !  And this book did not disappoint. And after reading this I will never ever use online dating ! Lol ! In all seriousness, this book is excellent. I was only disappointed in the ending as it left a few things up in the air , but maybe I can hope for a sequel.  This book has it all,  Cheating and betrayal. job loss, jealousy, friendship and murder. There are a few stories with in the story and you can really relate to the characters each and everyone of them.  If I liked the ending better I would have easily given this a 5 Star rating. I highly recommend this book.
All The Wrong Places is a mystey/thriller that's actually more accurately domestic suspense. As domestic suspense it's outstanding, really digging into the characters and their motivations that make it a worthwhile read. The mystery/thriller aspect of All The Wrong Places doesn't work. But as a domestic suspense novel it's very good indeed.
Thank you Net Galley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this book.  I've read all of Joy Fielding's other books and I was excited to read this book; unfortunately, I was disappointed.  I could not get into the book  I gave up a quarter of the way through.
Thank you to Net Galley for the Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for my unbiased review.

This book had me hooked from the very beginning. Told from several different points of view which I enjoyed. Every character had some sort of drama associated with them and unlike in other books, it all just made sense. Sometimes I feel like authors try to have too many subplots and it takes away from the overall arc of the story, with this book, it worked. The only reason I gave this 5 stars is a would have liked to see a little more oomph from the ending.
If you have ever thought about signing up to an online dating site, let this serve as a warning.  What you see is not always what you get.  A thriller that sets you up for some surprises and leaves you convinced that anyone who uses these sites is asking for trouble.
“All the Wrong Places” is a gripping story of the dangers of the modern age of dating when combined with preconceived and well-in-need-of-refreshing relationship struggles: affairs, abuse, deaths of loved ones, and the dangers of blind dates. Fielding doesn’t shy away from some of the worst of these scenarios and how dating apps change them, and for that it’s a delightfully refreshing work. It feels very modern without ever feeling cliche, and expects its audience to be as modern as her. There’s no explicit explanation for what online dating is that slows the plot down, and for that I’m grateful. You really relate to the protagonist and some of the struggles she goes through as she moves through a period of great change. Other characters... not so much, but that isn’t always their purpose.

This is a murder mystery serial-killer thriller that would have benefitted from one major change... removing the serial killer altogether. Joy Fielding tries to straddle the line in “All the Wrong Places” between family drama, modern relationships, and classic fear of the unknown, but it only left me feeling that certain themes were featured and appreciated more that others. Death is used as some kind of cruel vindication, not as a dangerous haunt that ‘could happen to anyone’ that Fielding was trying to suggest in the first half of the book. I feel this has a lot to do with the actual pacing of the story - there’s a sense of disconnect where you expect that action to move that much faster, but connections between characters are few and late. I don’t want to go too far into details, but if things had just been paced out differently, I could have seen this as a beautiful and eerie echo to ‘Silence of the Lambs’. I’d be interested in reading more of Fielding’s work, but I don’t feel this was quite the right kind of thriller for me.
I'm grateful for an advanced copy from NetGalley and Ballantine Books. I really liked Paige, Joan and Chloe's story. I liked their relationship,  their personalities and their stories. Unfortunately as I continued to read, I liked less and less this story. It just didn't grab my attention.
My very first impression of the book was that something got crossed during downloading and I ended up with a wrong book. Based on the synopsis, I was expecting a thriller. Instead, I kept wondering what the heck this book is about. Having finished reading it, I still don't know what this book was about. One thing I DO know it's not a thriller, it's not a mystery. It's not even really about "the dangers of online dating".
This book makes me SO glad I'm not into internet dating!!!  As with all Joy Fielding books I've read, this one is well written with good pacing, realistic characters, and a great story.  I especially appreciated that the 70-year-old character in the book is portrayed as a vibrant, interesting woman rather than the 'old lady' stereotype that women of that age so often are shown in books.  There are several different storylines that come together nicely and don't compete with each other.

This is definitely a thriller and though I could anticipate some of the twists that were coming, they were laid out with such finesse that guessing them didn't spoil the enjoyment.

Loved the ending!