Promise Me the Moon

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Nov 2018

This is a DNF for me. I made it to 62% before I decided to quit. I did skim through to the end, just to see if there was any improvement. There wasn’t.

When I requested this title, I thought it would be like the Melissa McCarthy movie, Spy, which I loved. I was also excited to read a novel with a female MC working in a male-dominated industry, especially one involving science and technology. And the banter between Q and Jackson was sufficiently entertaining. Unfortunately, their chemistry could have been off the charts and it wouldn’t excuse the blatant slut-shaming and rude LGBTQ+ comments in this novel. (And I'm a former military spouse, so it's not like I'm easily offended.)

Every joke or running gag is based on out-dated and at times offensive stereotypes. Her family assumes Q is gay because she’s been single for so long, and make numerous insensitive comments (“Why do [lesbians] want to be hairy?”), which are never called out or addressed by Q. She expresses disgust at the thought of two of her male coworkers having online sex (“I’m going to be sick.”). And when a transgendered character is introduced, the author makes a point to mention facial hair, and has Q’s family both initially deadname and misgender her. The whole is scene is supposed to be a joke about be how ridiculous her family is behaving (“Karla’s like a woman, but she has sperm!”) but–and this is the important part—they are never called out as ridiculous. Instead, it just gets waved away as harmless wacky family hijinks. At no point throughout the entire novel does Q or anyone else actually tell her family how rude and inappropriate they are behaving.

Q herself was also a problem for me. Every other woman depicted as either a gossipy nag, a rich bitch, or a raging nympho. Q constantly degrades and judges any other woman who wants to sleep with Jackson (even though that’s exactly what she wants to do) and I could have happily lived my entire life without reading the phrase “peanut butter legs.” (“Smooth and easy to spread” which, EW.)

Thank you to Net Galley for providing me with a free copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Gracie Quinn ('Q') works for the CIA as.. you have guessed it, the quartermaster. She invents gadgets to help spies do their job. She is really smart and funny and has a crush on master spy a la James Bond, Jayce Jackson. Does he have feelings for her as well?

The books reads like a movie script. It is intended to be funny, but I must admit I was sometimes a bit put off by the (juvenile) humor. For example: her family thinks she is a lesbian because she doesn't have a boyfriend. Her colleagues should be reported for harassment in my opinion. But alas.

I enjoy reading about very smart heroines and Gracie fits the bill!
Grace, otherwise known as Q, is a brilliant scientist working for the CIA’s secret Operations and Properties group. Her job: creator of spy gadgets for America’s special agent, Jayce Jackson. Working so close with Jackson makes Q crazy because she’d like nothing better than to snuggle up night and day with Jackson. But she doesn’t want to be another conquest to him, so she keeps silent.

Q stays behind the scenes, letting Jackson do what he’s good at but when Jackson gets distracted on a mission, they team up to bring down the evil Dr. Faust. Suddenly, Q is out of her depth and has to trust her instinct to not only save the world from a sinister organization, but Jackson himself. Can she rescue him from the clutches of Dr. Faust while capturing Jackson’s heart or will she just be the flirty Constellation Girl?

I’m a huge fan of Bond and spy rom coms so the premise appealed to me right away. Q and Jackson are fantastic characters with depth. Jackson is more than just a sexy spy who tumbles into bed with any pretty face. Sure, he’s funny and his comedic timing with sexual innuendos was spot-on. It’s the way he cares for Q and reveals parts of himself only to her that melted my heart.

Q, on the other hand, is sweet, a little dorky and full-on Einstein smart. It’s so refreshing to have a heroine that’s wicked smart and capture the heart of the sexiest man in the room. A great message there.

If you love spy romantic comedies with sexy dialogue with plenty of action, pick this up today. I can’t wait to read the next in the series!

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from The Wild Rose Press via Netgalley in the hopes I’d review it.

Favorite Character/Quote: Q (Gracie). She’s clumsy, beautiful and smart. She has hidden talents which Jackson brings out in her. She grows as a woman in this story and I want her creating fun gadgets for me.

My Rating: 5+ stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N
What a fun book!  I don't normally read spy books so I wasn't sure how I would like it, however I found that the relationship / chemistry of the characters great that kept my interest.  Would love to read book 2!
If you love James Bone I have a feeling you will enjoy a fun, laugh out loud Nichole Evans take of Q and the adventure she is about to have.

The plot is fast pace, characters are over the top, and spy vs evil the world is about to end is as bond as it comes.

This book has the perfect banter, sexual humor and mystery to keep readers of James bond, Romance and Mystery on their toes wanting and needing more from this author.

This is a perfect being to a series of book this readers can't wait to get her hands on.

Thank you Netgalley and The Wild Rose Press for a copy of Nichole D. Evans Promise me the Moon.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Wild Rose Press for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. First time reading this author. I enjoyed this book, it was tongue in check but witty and fun. The characters had good chemistry.  Grace's family was hilarious!!  It's just a nice fun read.  I think if you like Bond and romance you will like this book. I rate it a 4.
I received a free copy of PROMISE ME THE MOON by Nichole D. Evans in exchange for an honest review.  Grace “Q” Quincy works in a hostile environment.  In addition to having people shoot at her, she is constantly subjected to sexual harassment.  Male coworkers try to sabotage her success by refusing to do their jobs, so she has to go into their section in the middle of the night and do their work for them.  As part of her job, she not only has to observe an operational agent seduce women, but also has to put up with her intelligent, but juvenile, male coworkers subjecting her to locker room talk about what is happening.  Two of her male coworkers pursue her romantically, and one subjects her to unwanted advances.  The one with the unwanted advances appropriates her image to open a Twitter account to post lewd comments about an imaginary relationship between them.  Further, two of her coworkers engage in cyber sex while she’s sitting next to one of them.  Finally, there are the terrible, relentlessly sexual double entendres throughout the book.  In the end, Q gets her man with the understanding that it’s his job to cheat on her.

It’s a cute book if you like juvenile locker room humor, have never attended a sexual harassment seminar, have also never even heard the term or the concept used in a negative way, and have no desire for a monogamous relationship.

#PromiseMeTheMoon #NetGalley
I received a copy of Promise Me the Moon (The Q Chronicles) by Nichole D. Evans from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Very entertaining read. Fast paced plot threads and well-crafted characters. Good chemistry between the lead characters, fun secondary characters and witty banter amongst all of them.

I would read a future novel by Nichole D. Evans without hesitation.