The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2019

I already knew, and am a fan of, a lot of these women. It was great not only reading about those, but also learning about funny women that I hadn't heard of.
This book has great little vignettes about a wide variety of women in comedy. I recognized quite a few from the entertainment industry but it was nice to learn a little bit about about some that I hadn’t. This gives an overview of the careers and work of the featured ladies. I loved the illustrations that were included.

Quite a few SNL alums included, nice to see what else they have been working on and get a history of what led them to the show. Also included my favorite, Mindy Kaling!

This would make a good coffee table book because guests could read through a person or two and not get in too deep. It’s also perfect to pick up and read a few bits here and there.

I was given a digital ARC from netgalley to review.
💭It was very well written
💭very informative
💭inspiring
💭made me discover so many new people in the comedy genre that i had no idea of
💭a good read if you want to pass time
🌟4/5
I'd like to thank @netgalley for the ARC
The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women: 50 Ladies Who Used Comedy to Change the World, by Sheila Moeschen, is a wonderful introduction to these groundbreakers.

First, make sure you know what you are getting. This is not a comprehensive work, in either depth or breadth. There will be deserving women you probably think should be included. There are lists under each grouping that includes many others. The 50 chosen are for what they did to move women in comedy forward as compared to simply being popular and funny. The biographical sketches are just that, sketches. How big would a book have to be to get in depth on 50 successful and complex women? If you want that, maybe get 50 biographies. But the beauty of this work as it is is that in addition to the names we know there will be some we either haven't heard about or didn't appreciate everything they accomplished (usually behind the scenes).

By the way, there will likely be some included that you don't personally "like." Who cares, this book is not about popularity itself. If you can't appreciate what someone has accomplished just because you don't like their form of humor, well, that helps explain what is wrong with the world. "If I don't like how you do your thing, then I dismiss all of your accomplishments as insignificant." Regurgitate that!

The brief bios cover how they overcame what has always been a man's business and what they have done to help pave the way for future generations. It was fascinating to learn some of the less public aspects of their legacies. I was also pleased to learn new names with which I was unfamiliar. I'm always thankful for that type of new knowledge.

So if you want to read a brief bio about 50 of the most important women of comedy then I think you will enjoy this. If you decide to read it through, as I did, it is a nice quick read. I use books like this (short story and essay collections included) to fill in short time slots where I don't want to get back into one of the novels I'm reading nor do I want to concentrate on one of the nonfiction books. This makes a great "I have a few minutes..." book.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.
I loved the way this book was put together. I learned a lot about people i already 'knew' and I got to meet new, amazing women I have not met before. I will definitely buy this book.
My Thoughts:
‘The El Paso Herald was the first to break the happy news in 1916: “Women’s Sense of Humor is Steadily Developing” ran the chipper headline. What a relief!’ – From ‘The League...’ What is not to love about a book that begins this way – and this is just the Introduction.

Well, I have to admit a feeling of relief when I looked at the 50 women listed (let us not talk about the extra extraordinaries for now!) and actually knew(well, at least heard of) most of them.

But as I read the book, I realized I did not know much about them at all. To be honest, almost nothing. This book helped me dispel that ignorance, with its brief, concise yet informative biographies of these trailblazing comedians.

While it is about comedians, it is not a ROTFL type of book. Rather, it is one where the author deftly weaves her wonderful sense of humor into the struggles and successes of these women’s stories.

We get so much more than an insight into the hows,whys, wheres, whats and whens of their comedic lives; and of their impact on the world around them. That all this is done within two to three pages for each comedienne portrayed while keeping you engaged throughout and smiling every so often is testament to the brilliance of this book.

The colorful and stunning portraits of the women by Anne Beatley are frame-worthy indeed, capturing the women, to say it in one word, perfectly; and the layout of the book is simply classy.

And the highlighted quote for each woman made me go WOW – these are Women Of Wisdom; Women Of (W)Humor! And by the end of the book:- WOWW – A World Of Wonderful Women!

An Additional Thought:
This is kind of like a ‘kal, aaj, aur kal‘ story of women in comedy. And for those who are wondering just what I am rambling about, those are Hindi words meaning ‘yesterday, today and tomorrow’. (And yes, the words for yesterday and tomorrow are the same; it is context and the rest of the words around them that make the difference when we use them)!

In Summary:
I enjoyed Sheila Moeschen’s brand of humor that touched everything in this book; right from the very beginning introduction to the acknowledgements at the end. And loved her sharp writing that conveyed so much so concisely! Anne Beatley’s colorful illustrations are like the icing on the cake.

A great giftable for those who you know will love to read about these women, who love comedy, or for who love biographies. A great reference book to have in libraries. A book to read from end to end or to dip in and out of when you wish – both work well 🙂

So go ahead and order the book for yourself or for that loved one you know will enjoy this read!

Disclaimer: Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me a copy of this book for an honest review.
This was a fun book to read. I got to learn about fifty hilarious women and how they have blazed the trail for each other and other women looking to join the comedy world. This book is full of women like Nora Ephron, Carol Burnett, Lucille Ball, Melissa McCarthy, Ellen DeGeneres, and Wanda Sykes. There are a few different sections that separate these fifty women into the types of comedians they are: Sneaky, Sassy, Super Smarties, Courageous, Creative, Character Comics, Dauntless, Defiant, Daringly Disruptive, Magnificent, Marvelous, Mighty Misfits, and Brave, Bold, Brazen Badasses.
I enjoyed reading this book because I love learning about women who have made a difference, especially if that difference helps other women. Just like most things, when comedy and comedians and late night television shows first started becoming a big deal, women were left out. Women weren’t allowed in front of the cameras no matter how funny they were. Women as comedians seemed to be a joke to most men even though behind the scenes, women were the ones writing the jokes for the so-called ‘funny men.’ This book is great for anyone looking to learn more about the women who blazed the trail for the funny women we love today.

Thank you, NetGalley and Running Press for the opportunity to read and review this book in return for an honest review.
I received this ARC from Netgalley.

I was excited to get to read this book based on the cover art alone. The portraits of female comedians throughout were lovely. Kudos to the designer!

Unfortunately I wasn't as impressed by the book. It's clear that the author has a passion for the topic, but most of the mini bios read like wikipedia entries and I was left wanting more. A profile on Lena Dunham for instance, left out the more controversial aspects of her writing, choosing to focus on achievements instead. I don't know that I learned anything more than the basics for each comedian: where they went to school, what comedy/improv troupe they were in, highlights of successes, and a list of awards. It felt really repetitive, and was not as entertaining as I was expecting it to be.

Overall, it's not a bad book, just somewhat forgettable.
I'm quite happy with the trend of these books, because I always seem to get introduced to a lot of wonderful women, and this is my 2nd book to read this year of this type. I like the focus of this book, which is funny and comedic women. I didn't know most of them, but the one I knew were of my most favorite comedians (and it certainly did encourage me to check out some new-to-me comedians).

It was interesting how some of these women's most notable roles (to me) aren't among the roles the author would say that comedian is famous for, like Kristen Wiig who I discovered from the movie (Paul), and Kristen Schaal who I discovered from the animated show (Gravity Falls).

I knew a lot about the comedy business in the USA, namely the important role of (Saturday Night Light) and late night shows for these comedians. I didn't realize it before.

I would say that the writing style and phrases used to describe these women got kinda repetitive at times. I also would've loved the book to branch out outside American (and one or two British or Canadian women), I was glad to see some varied background, but I realize that maybe the content available to the author online wouldn't be as ready as that on American women.

Some of my fav women (some were already favorites, and others intrigued me and I'm gonna check them out): Julia Luis Dreyfus, Nora Ephron, Whoppi Goldberg, Amy Poehler & Tina Fey, Mae West, Melissa Macarthy, Amy Sedaris, Kristen Wiig, Mindy Kaling, Kristen Schaal, Tig Notaro, Leslie Jones, and Rachel Bloom.
This book is a collection of a select few funny women. Each woman selected get's a couple page shoutout. While
 I was familiar with most of these funny ladies, it was nice to be introduce to some new faces. I think I just wanted more. Maybe some advice from the ladies themselves would have put knocked this book up a couple pegs. I did love the illustrations for this. They were unique and eye-catching.

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This compendium of fabulously funny women includes a colorful painted portrait of each lady and a description of her work and what makes her extraordinary. Put this in the hands of anyone who says women aren't funny.
Comedy is a hard gig to stay in. It's often more difficult for women. In the new book The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women: 50 Trailblazers of Comedy by Sheila Moeschen focuses on the women who built the way for modern comediennes. From slapstick queens like Mabel Normand and Lucille Ball, and all the way to Kate McKinnon and the women of Broad City, the book covers women of all different eras. The book divides brief individual biographies into categories such as "Dauntless, Defiant, Daringly Disruptive" and "Magnificent, Marvelous, Mighty Misfits."  As Moeschen has found so many women, she also includes lists in each section to help provide the names of other comediennes that are worthy of further research.The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women is a great deal of fun to read, as well as inspirational. There are women of all different ethnicity and ages, so it is difficult not to find one to feel a kinship with.The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women is available April 16, 2019 from Perseus Books.
This is a cute book full of mini bios of a lot of really funny women. While I enjoyed it, I don't know that there was any real value added by creating this. All of the info seems like it could be found on Wikipedia- though it is written in a more digestible way. It's also not really something you'd sit down and read for an hour- more like something you'd reference or flip through while sitting in a waiting room. All in all though, the presentation is good and the illustrations are pretty.
From the early 20th century to the present 21st century, women have been making their mark on the comedy scene and have made history in remarkable ways, yet there are those who still think that “women aren’t funny.” Clearly that isn’t true and Sheila Moeschen brings us a book about fifty of the women who have not only made an impact on the industry, but have been the first in order to pave the way for others that followed.

It’s been amazing reading The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women. It has not only taught me about women who have made an impact in the past, but has also taught me more about the women that I deeply admire today. The funny women over the past hundred years deserve so much credit on how they have made an impact on the entertainment industry, society, and in politics. Moeschen packs a lot of information in very beautiful summaries that not only give you a timeline of how they got to where they are in their careers, but also what they have done with their platform.

These women have been unapologetic in this male-dominated industry. They never settled. They never stopped pushing boundaries. They are inspirations and will continue to be for more generations to come. They just need to continuously be given the recognition they deserve and the phrase “Women just aren’t funny” needs to die and needs to be buried near the burning core at the center of the earth.

This book is a must read and one to add to your library, especially if you love comedy. This book is our history, our present, and our future. I hope that each person who reads it will not only learn something from it, but will also be inspired.

The book will be released on April 16th!
The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women: 50 Ladies Who Used Comedy to Change the World by Sheila Moeschen is a fantastic foray into the world of funny and strong women. For so long women were not seen in the role of comedian and this book is a great way to show all the women who dared to do just that. Sheila Moeschen did an excellent job picking women from different areas of comedy and different times as well. I really enjoyed the “Extra Extraordinaries” lists because it served almost as a reference point for other women I knew in that category. My one criticism would be that some of the summaries were a bit wordy and I tended to lose interest. However, the author did a good job inserting her sassy tone within the summaries and had me chuckling at times.

I received a review copy from Netgally

This is an illustrated short bio of some of the funniest ladies in the comedic world. It features a wide variety of the new faces and seasoned veterans.

This was interesting for the women I didn't know about but this wasn't what I thought it would be. I was hoping for more interactive content. A more Q&A style with some of these ladies.

This is worth perusing but not something that will be read more than once.
I watched a special on CNN about comedians while at the gym a couple of years ago, so I was intrigued by this title (and the cover, if I'm honest). Some of the comedians were well-known, of course, but I enjoyed reading and learning about new-to-me entertainers. The writing was engaging and interesting. This was a great light read.
Whey say do not judge the book by its cover. Well, that is exactly what I did when I first encountered "The League of Extraordinarily Funny Women" on NetGalley. Indeed, the cover of this mini humor encyclopedia is fun, a little whimsical and definitely eye catching! Female portraits appear simple, yet the illustrator managed to capture something recognizable in each and every portrait, except for Kristen Wiig's.
As an outside to American stand up culture I found myself attending to Google time after time looking up performances or show clips which was quite entertaining! Needless to say, I spend hours “self-educating” on YouTube.
Reading “The League” was truly inspiring. It is crazy to imagine how far has female comedy has come in the last 100 years. And to select only 50 women was a challenge of its own. My only critique comment is that in spite of being thoughtful and flattering, sometimes the articles felt a bit flat. Also, the chronology in several occasions was confusing.
If I were to take one thing out of this book it would be the idea that regardless of the obstacles a true talent and dedication always prevail.
Loved the illustrations!  I really liked the content and learned alot about some funny, powerful, snarky women.  It blew my expectations out of the water.
My husband and I are HUGE comedy fans. When I was pregnant with our first baby before we knew the gender, we picked out a boy name immediately but struggled hard to agree on a girl name. After about each contributing 30 names each that we both couldn't agree on we came to Madelyn and both immediately knew that had to be our daughter's name. You see, we were big fans of a movie called Young Frankenstein starring an extraordinarily gifte comedienne named Madeline Kahn. We love comedy so much that it took a comedian to influence our baby name decision (and of course that baby turned out to be a girl and she is a funny female in her own right. The last two years at her school's talent show, she has done a comedy act!). Madeline Kahn does not get a mention in this book (a travesty really) but there are 50 worthy women from all backgrounds, both personally and comedically, and different time periods who deserve their stories told in this book. I love that there are several different categories with a handful of comedians listed and their stories told. Some of my favorite people profiled in the book are Lucille Ball, Mindy Kaling, Tina Fey, Ellen DeGeneres, and Gilda Radnor. There were even a couple I have never heard of that now I will have to look up! I recommend this book to anyone who loves comedy.