Iron Maiden

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Jan 2019

I started listening to them as a teen, and continue listening to them today! It was great to learn the story behind each album. This was a well laid out book that was informative without getting bogged down. A must read for all fans of Iron Maiden!
I have read a lot of Martin's Album by Album books and the one does not disappoint.  The book is a good overview of the band the albums. This one includes Martin's and other musicians comments on the albums and the influence of their music.  I also really enjoy the photographs that accompany the text.  Casual and Hard Core fans will both enjoy this book.
Iron Maiden: Album by Album from Martin Popoff consists of 16 chapters, one for each studio album, of several Maiden fans (and peers) discussing each album. I was torn between 4 and 5 stars but went with 5 for the simple reason the book was exactly what it set out to be. I refuse to mark down because the book wasn't what it never set out to be.

The book as a whole has a strict structure with each chapter being a discussion about one album. Within each chapter there is a loose structure where Popoff makes sure certain aspects are always covered, such as production values and such. But most of the conversation, while prompted by Popoff's questions, go off in whatever direction each speaker wants to go. Kinda like when you and your friends are talking about something. A question sets you off but you make whatever connections matter to you.

The conversations range from close analysis of some songs to placing the songs/albums in the larger context of the music business and even to some extent world politics. We also have talk about what the band meant to some of these people when they were young and first discovered them. There is a lot of information to glean from these conversations but just be aware this is not a track-by-track technical overview of production, engineering, or the music performance itself. This is a bunch of knowledgeable people sitting around and having fun talking about one of their favorite bands. There is talk about how some things were done but that is few and far between since that wasn't the purpose of the book. This is less for the "fan" who thinks fandom is pretending not to be a fan but rather a (usually semi-literate in music) technician and more for the fan who may or may not be musically inclined but likes to hear about the history of a band. This is an oral history ABOUT the band rather than OF the band.

I recommend this to any Maiden fan (of course) as well as those interested in the history of how a band evolves over time and how a band can influence their fans and peers. The participants include musicians, rock critics/historians, even a wrestler/rock musician. We have a former (short term) Maiden member as well as a former Megadeth member as well, so this isn't just a group of everyday fans. If you're a fan of Maiden yourself, you'll have plenty to both agree and disagree with in the book, just like in any good conversation among friends.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.
Eddie lives!!!

I devoured this album-by-album breakdown through interviews of one of my favorite metal bands with their epic lyrics.  Filled with tons of photographs, it's a smashing trip down memory lane.

Run to the hills...

I received an electronic copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

4/5 stars
Another great book from this author this time discussing Iron Maidens albums one by one with plenty of photography of the band.

In fact, I was so impressed by it, I bought a copy as a gift.

I received this book from netgalley in return for a honest review.
Iron Maiden: Album by Album:

RAWK!

I had the great pleasure of recieving a review copy of an amazing Iron Maiden discog table book. 245 pages, 16 albums spanning 1980-2015

The goal is simple, sixteen albums reviewed and deconstructed in order of release with straight conversation by fans and peers on both epic and bombed albums.

Martin Popoff collected his personal musings regarding one of the die hard New Wave of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) plus 15 esteemed guests from Maiden Coverbands to Maiden Band members.

Released in October 2018, this book was PACKED with photography, singles cover art, ticket stubs and back story that I have not seen elsewhere.

Participants included (among others):
Bobby “Blitz” Ellsworth (Overkill)
Marty Friedman (at minimum, Megadeth)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
Blaze Bayley (Iron Maiden)
Nita Strauss (musician)
Chris Jericho (wrestler)
Matt Heafy (Trivium)
Kirsten Rosenberg (musician)
Ahmet Zappa (musician)
Let's begin with that I grew up with Maiden.
The band is older than me, obviously as I was born back in 96 and the band already had a album by 82. But it doesn't take that while I wasn't born, my dad and godfather were, and they were the biggest inspiration on the musical side, and still are.

I travelled while listening to Metallica, Maiden. Roots Bloody Roots was a constant that I loved even when I wasn't understanding anything.

So I can say with all gusto, this book rules. I love reading this kind of book where I get to learn about bands even more. I grew up listening, cried when my dad and godfather went to watch a show in another city and didn't take me, watched Rock in Rio live on television because seriously, it's expensive and I don't have the money. But even so, I don't know much about the past of it all. I listen to them, know the newish news, but the past? Not much. So a book like "Iron Maiden - album by Album" instantly called my attention, and when I read it, stuck to me until I was on the end of it. And of course, while the on going Maiden playing on the background, following the album and music list the books was talking about.

It's totally a book for those who like to learn a bit more about the band, that like Iron Maiden or is just curious about them and their discography!
Well written, easy to follow. I really loved it and recommend!

Thanks Martin Popoff, Quarto Publishing Group – Voyageur Press,Voyageur Press and Netgalley for this chance of reading the book in exchange of a honest review!
A must-read for Iron Maiden fans!

Iron Maiden is my all-time favourite band, so I could not miss this opportunity. It is not a biography, but literally an overlook of every song of every album the band ever made, apart from the live ones. Fans, new and old, will love it, although I don’t think it might be of much interest of people who don’t know the band or the songs. But for a fan, it is invaluable!

The presentation is clear, it’s easy to find anything you’re looking for, and there’s an extensive bibliography at the end along with an index. The book is very easy to read, it’s not pompous nor does it talk down to the reader. The editing is flawless, and it is worth it if only for the dozens of glorious pictures – both in colour and black and white. I found the narrative most interesting when it came to lesser known discs, and the albums that were not the biggest crowd pleasers. If you are an Iron Maiden fan, you will definitely want this book!
This was a good read, My husband is a big Iron Maiden fan and he enjoyed it also. I would recommend this.
I was recently given the opportunity to read and review these three music books.  The books are essentially the same, with different artists as the topics.  The books cover three bands, album by album.  But when I say bands, I’m talking of the some of the biggest bands the music industry has known – Queen, Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden.  As I’ve read all three books, I’ll review them on one review post, as what I’ve got to say applies really to all of them!

I asked to request these books as I love music, and Queen is one of my favourite all time bands!  I thought the idea of going through these artists discography track by track, album by album was really original and it really appealed to me.  The author has also drafted in some more rock gods and influences to talk about their memories of each band - I particularly liked Dee Snider’s memories of the early Queen concerts! – so you weren’t just getting the author’s viewpoint but the opinions of people who knew them and played with them!

The covers of each book are fabulously eye-catching and really draw you to the books.  The books are also packed full of band photos and visual memorabilia, which is enough to keep any die-hard fan happy for hours!  I thoroughly enjoyed each and every book, and whilst I didn’t really know any of the Iron Maiden tracks and only some of the Led Zeppelin ones, I loved reading all about them!  After I finished each book, I wanted to go and raid my husband’s CD collection just to hear what I’d been reading about!

These books would definitely make a worthy addition to any Queen, Led Zeppelin or Iron Maiden fan’s bookcase!  Would highly recommend!
Although I don't follow music as much as I used when younger I do like Iron Maiden. I remember school friends being mad for them in the 80s and having the patches on denim jackets. For them and any fan of the genre this is a must read book.

It's so full of information and some really interesting insights. I loved the backstories to all the albums. Really enjoyable book and highly recommended.
This was such an interesting exploration of Maiden as a band and as a individuals. Im a casual fan and generally know the earlier albums and songs but this taught me so much about the band that i never knew before. I finished this and just wanted to start listening to the albums in order from earliest to most recent. I feel like each time i listen to a Maiden album now, it will be with a new understanding.
Feel this is a must for every Maiden fan, new and old.  Hats off to Popoff for taking a fresh approach to a well trodden path.  Thought some of the insights were interesting and overall thoroughly enjoyed it.

With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC for a honest review.
Una vera miniera di informazioni su una della band che ho amato di più, e sulle sue canzoni: spesso sottovalutate per il genere, sono sempre state una raffinata fusione di spunti letterari e storici, distillati in testi ricchissimi.
E' stato bello scoprire dettagli che non conoscevo, ha reso ancora più ricca la mia esperienza.
I love Iron Maiden. This was a tribute to the Iron Maiden's discography. I loved reading their albums back stories and details. There were a lot of interviews with different artists who loves Iron Maiden. That book was definitely a collection book. Thank you for granted my wish.
Required reading for any metalhead, Iron Maiden is a compendium of in-depth, entertaining, and profusely illustrated conversations about all sixteen of the legendary metal band’s studio albums.

This new book from prolific rock journalist Martin Popoff pays tribute to the Iron Maiden’s studio discography through a series of in-depth, frank, and entertaining conversations about all sixteen of the legendary heavy metal band’s studio albums. Inside, the author gathers together metal journalists, authors, and musicians, who offer insights, opinions, and anecdotes about every release.

Together, the conversations comprise a unique historical overview of the band, covering everything from early albums with original lead singer Paul Di’Anno; the songwriting of founder and bassist Steve Harris; the impeccable talents of drummer Nicko McBrain and guitarists Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and Janick Gers; mega tours undertaken in support of the LPs; fights within the band; and much more. Even their iconic mascot Eddie is sure to make an appearance or two!

Popoff also includes loads of sidebars that provide complete track listings, details on album personnel, and information on where and when the albums were recorded. Every page is illustrated with thoughtfully curated performance and offstage photography, as well as rare memorabilia.
Okay, I am not a metal head but I am a fan of art and album covers. It is very well researched and presented and it is the perfect gifting book. I enjoyed the stories even though I didn’t even know a single song or album they had ever released. My friend TK will enjoy this book immensely as no one else on the planet loves metal more than him and his wife as they are both metalheads and artists: too bad I already have their Christmas present.  🎹 🎹 🎹 🎹 🎹