Nothing to Lose

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Apr 2019

Full of twists and turns and expertly written. This author knows how to world build and to draw you into a book. Very descriptive and feels like an old-time noir mystery.
I enjoyed this book,  I like Mac and the way she thinks things through and reverts to her skill set. I do get irritated by how silly she is and how frequently she puts herself in danger.
I did like the twists and turns in this book too.
Nothing to Lose is the second in the police procedural series featuring former Special Forces Agent turned Offender Profiler, Ziba MacKenzie. Having missed the first book in the series - Blood for Blood - I was happy to jump straight in and read this independently without any issues as the author, Victoria Selman, provided enough background to allow me to feel comfortable with the characters and setting. Set in the London town of Primrose Hill Ziba made a rather flawed, angry, impulsive and abrasive Profiler however, I would have gladly had her on my team.

This novel was a fantastic, electrifying and solid police procedural and I really warmed to Ziba from the outset. It was a well-balanced crime-thriller that had me glued to the pages and I didn't want to put it down as I was desperate to know the outcome of the story.

The up-to-the-minute plot was very cleverly written being so gripping and suspenseful but not unbelievably horrific. With two distinct threads running through the story, I could have been overwhelmed by the number of characters in the book, but each individual had a defined role in the story. As Ziba embarked on an exciting and exhilarating mission to solve the cases, all of the time the tension was being ratcheted up a notch as Victoria Selman hit me with some captivating misdirection and planted a few red herrings. The writing flowed effortlessly with a swift pace to it as Nothing to Lose delved into topics of abusive relationships and the power of evil with doses of deception,violence and brutality.

A brilliant, nail-biting and highly recommended crime-thriller.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
A thrilling read which kept me turning the pages, characters you care for and just brilliantly written.  Great novel!!
It took me a little while to get into the plot but once I did, I was hooked! Lots of twists and turns and I didn't guess the perpetrator for a good while. The shortish chapters worked well for pushing the pace of the plot along and adding to the tension. Definitely looking forward to reading more from Victoria in the future.
Another fantastic ziba read, can't wait for the next one, struggled again to put this read down, great plot line, great charecters too
I loved this book. Very intense. Kept you on the edge of your seat. With an ending and a twist you will not see coming.
Thankyou to NetGalley,  Amazon Publishing UK,  Thomas and Mercer and the author,  Victoria Selman, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of Nothing To Lose in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I thought this book provided a good quick read  full of twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end.
The storyline was well thought out and written with well developed characters and a rollercoaster plot.  Everything you could possibly want in a thriller.  3.5 stars.
Well worth a read.
I quite enjoyed this! Managed to finish it quite quickly and really loved the character of Ziba, this is the 2nd book in the series and I haven’t read the 1st one and so I’m off to buy it, if it’s anything like this I’ll not be disappointed!

I thought this was quite a good book to be honest even though I’ve read this genre before I found myself engrossed quickly in the storyline and characters, there’s 2 storylines here: a hunt for a new serial killer and also the hunt for Ziba’d husbands killer too who was shot a few years ago and the killer never found!

It was quite fast paced and had a few twists and turns in the book which always help kee you entertained, I found myself lost in it for hours and I look forward to reading more from the author.
I thought I had already left a glowing review for this fantastic riveting book by the highly talent Victoria Selman but it would appear I forget (Sowwie).  Anyway I have spoken to Victoria on Twitter on numerous occasions and have since received a signed copy and will be purchasing a copy of Blood For Blood as soon as the chance becomes available.  Victoria has wrote an amazing character in Ziba I like the fact that in these days of antisemitism (sponsored by the labour party and the loony left in the UK) its awesome to see a strong talented and extremely intelligent Jewish character.  The story kept me guessing from start to finish and for someone who looks as sweet and innocent as Victoria was pretty damn brutal :) Definitely a writer to look out for in the future
Second in a relatively new series, and can't wait for the next one. Really like the fast paced fluid style, and in Ziba, we've got a really intriguing character with so much potential for future adventures!
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in return for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book and its twists and turns and also the two seperate stories that were intertwined. However, the blurb led me to believe something else was coming in the book and I was a little confused and kept waiting for this.

3 stars for me :)
I really like Ziba MacKenzie, she is tough but vulnerable as well.

When she is brought in on a case of a serial killer who is targetting women who look just like her, it is unsettling to say the least, but that is nothing compared to what happens when she continues the hunt for her husband's killer.

This was a complex book with a few red herrings and sometimes it got a little confusing. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading another book starring this character.

4 stars from me.

Thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley.
This book was riveting from almost the start. I was experiences so many twists and turns as I read this story. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this.
Devoured in 2 helping and thoroughly enjoyed. its a new author for me and yet another I will be investigating further. Netgalley has certainly opened my eyes in the book world and I am enjoying each opportunity
He’s looking for his next victim. She looks just like his last.
Primrose Hill, London. Offender Profiler Ziba MacKenzie arrives at the scene of a gruesome murder with a disturbing sense of déjà vu. Nine days earlier, another woman’s body was found: same location, same MO, same physical appearance. For the police, it’s clear a new serial killer is on the loose. But for Ziba, it’s even more sinister—because the victims look just like her.
Ziba has been the focus of a killer’s interest before, and knows that if she gets too close again this case could be her last. Still, she’s not one to play by the rules—especially when her secret investigation into her husband’s murder begins to attract unwanted attention.
With someone watching her every step, can Ziba uncover what connects the two victims before she becomes one herself?

This the second novel of Ziba MacKenzie and a novel I highly recommend.
Ziba Mackenzie is a freelance profiler who is called in when a woman is murder who resemble her what shocking a early murder of a different woman resemble her to.
I thoroughly enjoyed Nothing to Lose which is an exciting thriller with two strong plot lines.
I found it a gripping read from start to finish.
The characters were believable and well developed, as well as the story.
The plot in this book was really good. It was very cleverly thought out and had me guessing right up to the end.

I would like to thank Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for an advance copy of Nothing to Lose.
Book Review: Blood for Blood, Book 1, and Nothing to Lose, Book 2, Ziba Mackenzie Series, by Victoria Selman

Snap to, Mackenzie!

It's zero dark thirty. Enter Ex-Reconnaissance Regiment Special Forces Operator Ziba MacKenzie, now a consultant "offender profiler" freelancing for Scotland Yard, and specializing in solving serial killer crimes.

Both thrillers are set in London, with a healthy dose of multiculturalism; Ziba is a Persian name.

Book 1 shows signs of a debut author and begins a bit tight and contrived - a train crash where the protagonist haphazardly - and with rather too much of a coincidence, briefly gets acquainted with someone who turns out to be a key character in the plot.

"He did it. You have to tell someone." That someone on the train lives just long enough to pass on her cryptic message. The hunt for the "London Lacerator" is on.

(But what if Ziba missed her train?)

In Book 2, the story runs deeper. Not only does the protagonist have her hands full dealing with a serial killer (the "Primrose Hills Killer" / "Hillside Slasher"), she is confronted with the bane of her existence: the horrific assassination of her ex-Scotland Yard DCI husband.

The author finds her mojo - and pens a five-star gem!

She thrives in her element and showcases the depth of her research in actual serial killer cases, and as well a rather good command of suspect interrogation techniques and Special Forces tactics, mantras, - and timely SF /poker wisecracks.

"Train hard; fight easy!"

"A Smith and Wesson beats Four Aces."

Just the right tinge of humour to make the crime thriller a great deal of fun to read!

Review based on an advance reading copy provided by NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and Thomas & Mercer.
Well-written and fascinating, Victoria Selman's second novel in the Ziba MacKenzie series, Nothing to Lose, finds Ziba with her own problems two years after her husband, Duncan's unsolved murder. She has new clues she would like to follow, since she is determined to solve the murder, but her superiors require her to solve some grisly murders that may be being committed by a serial killer. These new murders are compelling, since the victims closely resemble Ziba herself. Ziba investigates, and as she gets closer to solving the murders, finds herself in grave danger as well. In addition, she discovers that Duncan's murder may have ties to her own co-workers, and she is warned several times to stay out of it. As Ziba discovers new evidence, she must decide whether to give up her investigation of her husband's murder or suffer the same fate.

Selman is a fairly new author, but writes as though she has much more experience. She knows how to tell a gripping and believable story, weaving in scenarios that readers can easily relate to. Selman also develops her characters so that they are true to life. Ziba is a great protagonist, since she has experienced loss and horror in her personal life with the murder of her husband. She is good at her job, and isn't afraid to go after what she wants.

The setting, in the UK, is different and charming; a unique setting makes a novel more interesting, and even though Nothing to Lose is fiction, there is something to be learned from different places and cultures which set the scenes in this novel.

Thriller aficionados who like to read something unique will enjoy this novel and the series. Selman is definitely an author to watch.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
I received a free digital copy of Nothing to Lose by Victoria Selman from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Nothing to lose is the second book in the series. The first book is Blood for Blood which I have not read.  Although part of a series, it can stand alone.  It is not necessary to read the first book to understand and enjoy this book.
The first thing I noticed was that this book has 143 chapters.  For me, this made it very choppy.   I did not feel that the language flowed well.  At times I felt that the author used a thesaurus to use bigger words, but it did not have a natural flow.  The language was awkward for me at any points through out the story.

Ziba MacKenzie has worked as a consultant in many homicide cases. She arrives at a crime scene a notices that the victim looks a lot like her.  At the same time she is trying to solve the her husband’s murder.
This was a solid storyline, but the flow wasn’t there for me.
I couldn't stop reading. I love how this author crafts her characters. There's always surprised in her books even if you think you understand most of the story. I wish the books were longer but then I'd never get anything since. Love it so much.