Nothing to Lose

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Apr 2019

Another fantastic ziba read, can't wait for the next one, struggled again to put this read down, great plot line, great charecters too
I loved this book. Very intense. Kept you on the edge of your seat. With an ending and a twist you will not see coming.
Thankyou to NetGalley,  Amazon Publishing UK,  Thomas and Mercer and the author,  Victoria Selman, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of Nothing To Lose in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I thought this book provided a good quick read  full of twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end.
The storyline was well thought out and written with well developed characters and a rollercoaster plot.  Everything you could possibly want in a thriller.  3.5 stars.
Well worth a read.
I quite enjoyed this! Managed to finish it quite quickly and really loved the character of Ziba, this is the 2nd book in the series and I haven’t read the 1st one and so I’m off to buy it, if it’s anything like this I’ll not be disappointed!

I thought this was quite a good book to be honest even though I’ve read this genre before I found myself engrossed quickly in the storyline and characters, there’s 2 storylines here: a hunt for a new serial killer and also the hunt for Ziba’d husbands killer too who was shot a few years ago and the killer never found!

It was quite fast paced and had a few twists and turns in the book which always help kee you entertained, I found myself lost in it for hours and I look forward to reading more from the author.
I thought I had already left a glowing review for this fantastic riveting book by the highly talent Victoria Selman but it would appear I forget (Sowwie).  Anyway I have spoken to Victoria on Twitter on numerous occasions and have since received a signed copy and will be purchasing a copy of Blood For Blood as soon as the chance becomes available.  Victoria has wrote an amazing character in Ziba I like the fact that in these days of antisemitism (sponsored by the labour party and the loony left in the UK) its awesome to see a strong talented and extremely intelligent Jewish character.  The story kept me guessing from start to finish and for someone who looks as sweet and innocent as Victoria was pretty damn brutal :) Definitely a writer to look out for in the future
Second in a relatively new series, and can't wait for the next one. Really like the fast paced fluid style, and in Ziba, we've got a really intriguing character with so much potential for future adventures!
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in return for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book and its twists and turns and also the two seperate stories that were intertwined. However, the blurb led me to believe something else was coming in the book and I was a little confused and kept waiting for this.

3 stars for me :)
I really like Ziba MacKenzie, she is tough but vulnerable as well.

When she is brought in on a case of a serial killer who is targetting women who look just like her, it is unsettling to say the least, but that is nothing compared to what happens when she continues the hunt for her husband's killer.

This was a complex book with a few red herrings and sometimes it got a little confusing. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading another book starring this character.

4 stars from me.

Thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley.
This book was riveting from almost the start. I was experiences so many twists and turns as I read this story. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this.
Devoured in 2 helping and thoroughly enjoyed. its a new author for me and yet another I will be investigating further. Netgalley has certainly opened my eyes in the book world and I am enjoying each opportunity
He’s looking for his next victim. She looks just like his last.
Primrose Hill, London. Offender Profiler Ziba MacKenzie arrives at the scene of a gruesome murder with a disturbing sense of déjà vu. Nine days earlier, another woman’s body was found: same location, same MO, same physical appearance. For the police, it’s clear a new serial killer is on the loose. But for Ziba, it’s even more sinister—because the victims look just like her.
Ziba has been the focus of a killer’s interest before, and knows that if she gets too close again this case could be her last. Still, she’s not one to play by the rules—especially when her secret investigation into her husband’s murder begins to attract unwanted attention.
With someone watching her every step, can Ziba uncover what connects the two victims before she becomes one herself?

This the second novel of Ziba MacKenzie and a novel I highly recommend.
Ziba Mackenzie is a freelance profiler who is called in when a woman is murder who resemble her what shocking a early murder of a different woman resemble her to.
I thoroughly enjoyed Nothing to Lose which is an exciting thriller with two strong plot lines.
I found it a gripping read from start to finish.
The characters were believable and well developed, as well as the story.
The plot in this book was really good. It was very cleverly thought out and had me guessing right up to the end.

I would like to thank Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for an advance copy of Nothing to Lose.
Book Review: Blood for Blood, Book 1, and Nothing to Lose, Book 2, Ziba Mackenzie Series, by Victoria Selman

Snap to, Mackenzie!

It's zero dark thirty. Enter Ex-Reconnaissance Regiment Special Forces Operator Ziba MacKenzie, now a consultant "offender profiler" freelancing for Scotland Yard, and specializing in solving serial killer crimes.

Both thrillers are set in London, with a healthy dose of multiculturalism; Ziba is a Persian name.

Book 1 shows signs of a debut author and begins a bit tight and contrived - a train crash where the protagonist haphazardly - and with rather too much of a coincidence, briefly gets acquainted with someone who turns out to be a key character in the plot.

"He did it. You have to tell someone." That someone on the train lives just long enough to pass on her cryptic message. The hunt for the "London Lacerator" is on.

(But what if Ziba missed her train?)

In Book 2, the story runs deeper. Not only does the protagonist have her hands full dealing with a serial killer (the "Primrose Hills Killer" / "Hillside Slasher"), she is confronted with the bane of her existence: the horrific assassination of her ex-Scotland Yard DCI husband.

The author finds her mojo - and pens a five-star gem!

She thrives in her element and showcases the depth of her research in actual serial killer cases, and as well a rather good command of suspect interrogation techniques and Special Forces tactics, mantras, - and timely SF /poker wisecracks.

"Train hard; fight easy!"

"A Smith and Wesson beats Four Aces."

Just the right tinge of humour to make the crime thriller a great deal of fun to read!

Review based on an advance reading copy provided by NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and Thomas & Mercer.
Well-written and fascinating, Victoria Selman's second novel in the Ziba MacKenzie series, Nothing to Lose, finds Ziba with her own problems two years after her husband, Duncan's unsolved murder. She has new clues she would like to follow, since she is determined to solve the murder, but her superiors require her to solve some grisly murders that may be being committed by a serial killer. These new murders are compelling, since the victims closely resemble Ziba herself. Ziba investigates, and as she gets closer to solving the murders, finds herself in grave danger as well. In addition, she discovers that Duncan's murder may have ties to her own co-workers, and she is warned several times to stay out of it. As Ziba discovers new evidence, she must decide whether to give up her investigation of her husband's murder or suffer the same fate.

Selman is a fairly new author, but writes as though she has much more experience. She knows how to tell a gripping and believable story, weaving in scenarios that readers can easily relate to. Selman also develops her characters so that they are true to life. Ziba is a great protagonist, since she has experienced loss and horror in her personal life with the murder of her husband. She is good at her job, and isn't afraid to go after what she wants.

The setting, in the UK, is different and charming; a unique setting makes a novel more interesting, and even though Nothing to Lose is fiction, there is something to be learned from different places and cultures which set the scenes in this novel.

Thriller aficionados who like to read something unique will enjoy this novel and the series. Selman is definitely an author to watch.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
I received a free digital copy of Nothing to Lose by Victoria Selman from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Nothing to lose is the second book in the series. The first book is Blood for Blood which I have not read.  Although part of a series, it can stand alone.  It is not necessary to read the first book to understand and enjoy this book.
The first thing I noticed was that this book has 143 chapters.  For me, this made it very choppy.   I did not feel that the language flowed well.  At times I felt that the author used a thesaurus to use bigger words, but it did not have a natural flow.  The language was awkward for me at any points through out the story.

Ziba MacKenzie has worked as a consultant in many homicide cases. She arrives at a crime scene a notices that the victim looks a lot like her.  At the same time she is trying to solve the her husband’s murder.
This was a solid storyline, but the flow wasn’t there for me.
I couldn't stop reading. I love how this author crafts her characters. There's always surprised in her books even if you think you understand most of the story. I wish the books were longer but then I'd never get anything since. Love it so much.
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and was excited to get the second. I am enjoying Ziba's story but thought the plot of this one was a little out of left field. The writing was fantastic and the story was very suspenseful and entertaining. I hope there are more in this series.
Summary:

Ziba Mackenzie is back in action. The killer brutally murdered two women in London. What’s surprising these women look familiar to Ziba. Only Ziba notices this! But her mind is not on the case. It’s her husband Duncan’s unsolved murder that's on her mind. Will she be able to solve both the murders or she will be the next victim?

My take on the book.:
This is the second book in the series and by the author. Ziba Mackenzie is a profiler who specializes in serial killings. Even it’s a part of the series, one can read it as a standalone book.

There have been two murders in 5 days and the Scotland yard has yet to solve the case before the killer strikes again. And Ziba is still looking into clues for Duncan’s murder.

This book is good. But if I have to compare with the previous book, this is better. There are a few parts that make it better. Like, Ziba goes to the hospital (for some turn of events in the book) and she’s reminded of Duncan (can't describe it as part of the mystery comes out. That entire part is written beautifully.

This time the author has interwoven 2 stories. And they both have a good conclusion. In fact, both the stories are unrelated author worked well to give them a good ending.

Moving onto the characters, most of them remain the same as the first book, except for the victims and the related characters. Ziba’s character didn’t change from the previous book. She does imprudent things at the face of a crisis. I can imagine the author has written the characters with flaws but it kept nagging.

Victoria Selman has again done a brilliant job in writing a page-turner.

My Rating is 4 stars for the book.

Thank you NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for the giving the ARC in exchange for an honest review,
Nothing to Lose is the second book in the superb freelance criminal profiler Ziba Mackenzie series, based on the mean streets of London town; I have to say I loved this instalment even more than the opener as it takes you hostage for a very entertaining and thoroughly gripping few hours. These thrillers remind me of Criminal Minds in book form, a programme that has long ranked among my all-time favourites. I find the building of the unsubs profile absolutely fascinating and that transferred into huge page-turning potential here. Boy did I turn those pages till late into the night, or early into the morning depending on which way you look at it, but there was no chance of sleep until I had found out exactly how it ended.

There are two compelling strands to the plot; both are credible and interesting enough to engage with any problem for the duration of the story, and although I predicted quite a lot of what happened ahead of time it was so well written with a cast of such stellar characters that it did not put me off wanting to read it in its entirety. I'm pleased I did as there were still a few surprises in store for me. I'm looking forward to seeing if I warm to Ziba a little more in future books and hope we see a softer, more human side to her personality as right now she's rather snarky and spiky but clearly intelligent and dogged in her pursuit of those who are to face the full force of the law.

Many thanks to Thomas & Mercer for an ARC.
# Nothing To Lose #Netgalley #
Wow absolutely gripping, I love Ziba McEnzies character, also she’s doesn’t always play by the rules. Her character comes across as such a strong determined women, who is not only helping to find a serial killer. She’s hell bent on trying to look into the truth of her late husbands death. I love the fact the author has created such a strong powerful women no nonsense, yet with the vunrabilty deep down that not many see. She’s a master of getting into a criminal mind. Bloody awesome book, Victoria Selman you are amazing and I am so captivated by Ziba, a real page turner. When is the Next Ziba book out. I know it’s only a novel but Ziba has got into my heart, that’s how absorbing this book is. I finished it without realising I had not put it down not even to make a cuppa. Time was lost on me, I was on another world  genius piece of writing with a amazing character.
Ziba Mackenzie has a problem. Someone is killing women who look like her.  Geez.  She's a criminal profiler with a military background-and a very tough woman.  And smart. She's also trying to solve her husband's murder.  No spoilers!  This has lots of twists and turns and will keep you guessing.  I didn't read the first book but was fine with this as a standalone.  It's very plot driven although I'm now a fan of Ziba.  Thanks to net galley for the ARC.  A page turner.