Cover Image: Until the Day I Die

Until the Day I Die

I really enjoy Emily Carpenter's book.  I liked the character of Erin and thought there was some intense moments.  I am not sure how I feel about Shorie's arc.   Her view on college were a little off putting.  So was the character of Rhys.
I was anticipating to read this book, from reading the plot.  It was a bit slow and dubious in situations. The character development of Erin and Shore was great though.  It took me a while to finish the book due to twisting events in the story.
Until The Day I Die; By Emily Carpenter
Lake Union Publishing
Pub Date March , 12,2019        4. out of 5 stars.

Synopis
From the bestselling author of Burying the Honeysuckle Girls comes a riveting novel about a mother and daughter separated by grief, secrets, and a conspiracy that threatens to destroy their lives.

If there’s a healthy way to grieve, Erin Gaines hasn’t found it. After her husband’s sudden death, the runaway success of the tech company they built with their best friends has become overwhelming. Her nerves are frayed, she’s disengaged, and her frustrated daughter, Shorie, is pulling away from her. Maybe Erin’s friends and family are right. Maybe a few weeks at a spa resort in the Caribbean islands is just what she needs to hit the reset button…

Shorie is not only worried about her mother’s mental state but also for the future of her parents’ company. Especially when she begins to suspect that not all of Erin’s colleagues can be trusted. It seems someone is spinning an intricate web of deception—the foundation for a conspiracy that is putting everything, and everyone she loves, at risk. And she may be the only one who can stop it..

What I loved:
This book should be categorized as a thriller because it certainly had me on the edge of my seat from page one. Hard topics are introduced; death and grief were used as a means to manipulate the main character, and she was shipped off to a pretend "recovery' spa. which she might not have returned from. This mom wasn't just taking her daughter to college , she was preparing to be alone for the first time in almost 20 years, so the grief was like another death to her. Tech savvy daughter was hacking away into the company system to find who was draining company funds, to save the legacy her father built. This is a fast paced book, that has snappy dialogue with almost a reality tv gitzy feel . Fans of Survivor will love the vision quest into the carribean jungle that has Erin running for her life, and finally we see she has a backbone.

*************What would have made this a five:************
I didn't like that Ben co owner and long time friend just faded away and had nothing to do with helping Shorie, and had so much to do with Erin being shipped off. He was a shady character that was virtually useless and annoying. I didn't like the choice to have Shorie paying her way out of her classes, to "research" the problems with Jax. The author could have found another technological/ and ethical  reason to introduce the future boyfriend. . I found this pretentious and entitled. I found the characters slightly disconnected and superficial, and the author while having a surprise ending did not balance out the steps background story line , it all kind of rushed to the end like a runaway train.. but many readers who like slam bam hour long Life time movies will adore this book.
An Interesting 3★ Book

Erin
"Perry lay on the hospital bed in the shadowy emergency room. In the curtained area, I could barely look at him, he was so bloody and still. He’d been driving from Columbus, Georgia, to meet us at the lake for a family camping trip, first one of the season. On 73, between Waverly and Roxana, he’d fallen asleep at the wheel, the police said. Veered off the narrow road and smashed his car into a pine tree. He hadn’t been wearing a seat belt, that idiot. After his meeting in Columbus, but before he’d gotten on the road, he’d met someone for drinks. A friend from college, Roy. Roy later swore to me that Perry only had one beer. The doctors did a blood test and didn’t find anything to warrant concern, but what did it matter anyway? This motionless body covered in blood was not my husband. My husband was gone."

Shori
"If only we could deal with people the way we deal with computers. Mom needs to be fixed. Maybe it’s not that simple with a human being, but I don’t know. I think finding someone smarter than me— a professional with experience—is worth a try.
Because clearly something is very wrong with my mother. And tonight, for the first time, I’m afraid if it doesn’t get fixed, something terrible is going to happen."
********
Until the Day I Die by Emily Carpenter started a bit slow for me and it didn't hold my attention very well but I stuck with it and the pace picked up and was interesting enough to read all the way through to the end. The story is not very realistic so it takes some imagination to fully enjoy it. It is a creative storyline but it needs a little more reality to be a thrilling novel.
Overall, the book wasn't terrible by any means but it just wasn't for me.

Thanks to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing, and author, Emily Carpenter, for my advanced digital copy to read and give an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book.The mother/daughter characters were great.  I thought it was a really unique storyline. I would definately read more from this author.  I highly recommend this one. #NetGalley #UntilTheDayIDie #EmilyCarpenter
Really excellent! The book is set mostly at a tech company that was started by a group of friends. One if the friends, the protagonist’s husband, has just died in a car accident, and his widow is not handling it well. The other partners, her daughter, and her husband’s parents stage an intervention and send her off to a Caribbean island to a spa retreat to rest and get her head on straight. But the spa isn’t what it seems. Her daughter who just started college,  is figuring it out at home. She’s getting some things wrong, but it’s obvious that everyone is keeping secrets. Highly recommended.
When Erin’s husband Perry dies, she isn’t coping with the loss very well. Her family and friends/co-founders of a successful finance app are concerned about Erin and urge her to go to a remote Carribean island to a glorifed rehab. But when Erin gets there, she learns that this place is not what it seems to be.

I don’t read many mystery thrillers so I’m quite easy to please with this genre. Until the Day I Die by Emily Carpenter was an interesting and suspenseful novel which kept me guessing what would happen to the main characters and who the villian is.

I loved that the story is told both from Erin’s POV and her daughter Shorie’s — it was refreshing to see how Perry’s death affected both mother and daughter, how both women tried to figure out their lives after this devastating loss while dealing with school, grave danger, and betrayal.

I was a bit thrown off by the epilogue, though. Is it meant to hint at a possible sequel where we learn more about what was happening during those 2.5 years that pass between the end of the story and the epilogue? If so, I’m not entirely sold. I thought the story was wrapped up quite nicely. But we’ll see.

I received a free eARC of the novel from the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions expressed in the review are my own.
First of all, I loved that this book was set in Birmingham, Alabama. As a native of North Alabama, the setting created an instant connection with the story and characters.  I will admit the story had some flaws and even questionable plausibility at times. The tension, however, was so electric that I wasn’t thinking about the likelihood of what was happening, I was just along for the ride.
I LOVE all of Emily's books -- but this one takes it to another level!!  The mother/daughter relationship - which I believe is the central part of this book was done beautifully!!  What happens to a family when the father dies suddenly?  This is the question she answers perfectly!!  The tension of the story kept me turning the pages.  And, the ending was totally SHOCKING!!
Until the Day I Die is my first book by this author.

The book alternates between a mother and daughter's POVs (1st person). Erin is the mother and Shorie is her college aged daughter. We also get to see some journal entries from Perry (deceased husband/father).

Erin and Shorie's family home is in Birmingham, Alabama. Erin, Perry and two of their friends invented the hottest budget app called Jax.

Erin and Shorie are both struggling since Perry's death. I would definitely categorize this book as a suspense/mystery with a little bit of Women's Fiction. But there is a big mystery to solve involving Jax and that is the focus of the story.

The story alternates between where Erin is and what Shorie is doing and I found both POVs equally interesting.

My only issue with the book is that part of Erin's story seemed way too out there. I would have preferred sketchiness but not to the extent we got. I feel like the author went a bit too far. Also I wish that Perry's journal had been more interesting. It barely made sense.

I really liked Shorie's roommate and I liked that there was a bit of romance in one of the POVs.

Overall, this was a really intriguing enjoyable mystery.
This was a fun read in that it moved at a clipped, whodunit pace and kept me guessing until I arrived toward the end. I couldn't put the book down! When I did, I found my thoughts drifting toward trying to figure out the mystery and counting down the moments until I could pick up the book again.
There is some language, if you're sensitive to that, but not excessively so.
I would definitely recommend this book to a friend or mystery fan.

*I received an e-book of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review on my own words.
Emily Carpenter book until the  day I die  is a slow burner mystery novel that doesn't disappoint.   I think the book really picked up halfway for me I was engaged  throughout , however I did not find it as  addicting as her previous novel  every single secret.    I enjoy the writing style and the story but it was predicable for me and no wow factor  or twists   ..
Until the Day I Die is the first book I have ready by Emily Carpenter.  It is a thriller that had me turning pages until late at night.   I could not turn the pages fast enough.

Erin has lost her husband Perry in an accident and has disengaged from her daughter Shorie and her friends.  Erin and Perry own a tech company with their friends.  Now that Perry is gone, Erin wants to see the company.  The friends convince Erin to take a relaxing vacation on a remote Caribbean island resort.  But the resort is not what she expected.

Shorie is grieving the passing of her Dad.  She wants to work at the family owned company but Erin wants her to go to college as planned.  While attending college Shorie realizes someone is stealing from the company and her mother and herself might be in danger.

The story has a realistic love/hate mother daughter relationship.  How well do you really know your friends?  Plenty of plot twists and an OMG ending that makes a great thriller  A must read!  Thank you to Netgalley, Emily Carpenter, and Lake Union Publishers for a copy of this book and this is my honest review.
Erin is grieving the loss of her husband and Shorie is grieving the loss of her father. Erin is trying to be a good mother to Shorie all while keeping the family business going. Shorie is going off to college and Erin is considering selling the business that her and her husband started with their best friends.  Erin keeps finding herself in strange situations where she has been drinking with bizarre behavior. Her family and friends decide to have an intervention on her behalf. They believe with all of her strange behavior lately that she needs a break so she goes along with their request to be sent to Hidden Sands where she will have no communication with the real world and can relax. Once she gets to Hidden Sands, very strange and dangerous activity starts. She has no way out at this point! Shorie starts putting some missing pieces together and realizes what has happened. She has to get to her mother!
I really enjoyed this exciting thriller! Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC!
I started Until The Day I Die by Emily Carpenter last night and am hooked. She has a writing style that pulls you in right away and throws you into what’s happening.

Erin’s husband has died and she’s barely able to hold it all together. She’s living in a world of grief while trying to stay involved in the app/tech company called Jax, she built with her husband and their two friends. Her daughter Shorie, an incredibly smart young college student, rather be home working at Jax than living the college life. She was always following her dad around and learning about the company, she probably knows more than Erin. She is frustrated by her mother and also very worried.

Okay, that’s as far as I got and I cannot wait to read more!

Here’s the full synopsis:

Now, thousands of miles away in a remote, and oftentimes menacing, tropical jungle, Erin is beginning to have similar fears. Things at the resort aren’t exactly how the brochure described, and unless she’s losing her mind, Erin’s pretty sure she wasn’t sent there to recover—she was sent to disappear.

I wonder what’s going to happen next. I’m bracing myself for a breakdown from Erin that will send her away to this jungle.  Told in a dual perspective, we see things unfold from both mother and daughter, which I like because it feels like the story keeps moving quickly.

My plans tonight are a yoga session and then the rest of the night is for reading!
Erin is a grieving wife, whose husband died suddenly leaving a successful tech company in her hands, as well as a daughter, Shorie.
Both are struggling to cope with their grief as well as maintain their relationship.

The tech company is fascinating as it is built on the creation of an intuitive App that manages personal budget and spend - I can’t be the only one who thought it was amazing?

This is an entertaining read, it’s just missing something for me to really love it. Worth a read though as it’s got twists and turns and interesting characters.

Thanks to Netgalley, Lake Union Publishing and Erin Carpenter for the opportunity to preview in exchange for this honest review.
I had a little bit of a hard time connecting with the storyline of  Until The Day I Die by Emily Carpenter. I have to say even with not connecting with the book, the writing was good and I look forward to reading more from Emily.
Quick and Forgettable. I didn’t love this book and I didn’t hate it, but it didn’t make a big impression on me. This is the kind of book you read in an airport or plane as a distraction and way to occupy your mind to pass the time. It feels a little like women’s fiction, a little like action, and a little bit like a thriller. There is a mystery to solve of who is embezzling from the app company and conniving to send a recently widowed co-owner sent away to a “resort” for nefarious purposes.  The part I liked best was the fictional budgeting app and the technology surrounding it. If you think too hard about the plot, it feels contrived.
Thanks to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing and the author Emily Carpenter for an electronic review copy. Book published March 12, 2019.
Once again Emily Carpenter has written a thriller that kept me guessing from beginning to end.  She leads you one way and then twists you around.  Nothing is what it seems.

Upon sudden the death of her husband, Erin Gaines’ life seems to be spinning out of control. She seems unable to focus and handle daily life, her daughter, or the company she, her husband and two friends started.  Her family and friends gather for an intervention to make Erin see that she needs to take time to get her life in order.   Erin reluctantly agrees to go to Hidden Sands to get back to herself.  You won’t believe what happens next.

The story is well written and the characters are very relatable. There are many emotions rushing through this story but fear and uncertainty are primary.  There is another layer to the story, the relationship between mother and daughter.

If you like thrillers, mystery, and suspense, then you have to read this book. I recommend this book to everyone that wants to read a good book.
Thank you to #Netgalley and #LakeUnionPublishing for approving my request.  The opinions expressed in this review are solely my own.
I'll be reading more from Emily Carpenter after thiz.  Wow!  Nonstop action and twists ga!ore.  With an ending i did not see coming.