Spiritual Rhythms for the Enneagram

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 May 2019

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for honest review from NetGalley.

I am in love with the Enneagram as a tool to assess personality, how people relate and how to become more of our true selves. It fascinates me and has been very helpful in my own journey. This is probably my favorite book I've read on the Enneagram so far. It is accessible and easy to read - some Enneagram books are nearly impossible to break down but this one is profound yet simply written. I loved the way the book was formatted and found myself devouring the chapters on each type - not just my own or ones I related to. The section on "empathy for..." was helpful too... helping me relate to and understand various types better! I also found the soul care resources at the end of the book helpful, well written and very practical. This is a must read book for those interested in spiritual practices and the enneagram. It combines two great and profound topics into a digestible, well-designed and impactful book.
If you already have a basic understanding of the Enneagram and want to dive deeper into how it effects you and your Christian faith, read this book! I like the authors' concept of Harmony Triads, which expand on the traditional Enneagram numbers. I also appreciate that along with information and case studies, the book includes practical steps to take for your number. I especially like the imaginative and breath prayers. I read an ARC from NetGalley and plan to purchase physical copies so my husband and I can read it together.
I had the opportunity to read an advance copy of Spiritual Rhythms for the Enneagram and found it to be a valuable resource. It is definitely not for someone new to the Enneagram. For them I would recommend more introductory texts. But for those who want to study more deeply, I recommend this book. It has a decidedly Christian perspective, so that is something to keep in mind.

In this book the authors present a new and fresh look at how the Enneagram can be applied to our lives and in particular spiritual growth. For those who are familiar with the Enneagram some of the ideas are new, but I found them useful. Rather than the traditional movement of stressful and health they assert that everyone a Harmony Triad consistent of Gut Intelligence (GQ), Emotional Intelligence (EQ), and Intellectual Intelligence (IQ) and so have a triad of 3 numbers from each section of the Enneagram. For example I am an Enneagram 1, so my Harmony Triad is 1-4-7. This really resonated with me.

The books provides scripture, prayers, and journaling opportunities to grow through the use of the Enneagram. I plan on buying a physical copy of this book to add to my shelves as I found a lot of the material very useful but harder to navigate on my digital reader. If you have an interest in the Enneagram and are looking to apply it in new ways, I recommend this book to you. This book releases March 12, 2019!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book!
Good book on the enneagram. There was plenty of insights i haven’t heard from other sources. I really enjoyed the segments on empathy for each number and will definitely use that as a resource in the future. Definitely would reccomened.

Unfortunately, the kindle version was almost unreadable. There was a typo or half missing word at least once per page.