Cover Image: Life and Other Inconveniences

Life and Other Inconveniences

With a full cast of characters, this book has lots of stories to tell about life, how you choose to live it, how inconvenient it can sometimes be and how hard work and determination can lift you up into something good. Told from alternating perspectives we get the history of the characters, events that include the tragedy of a lost child, the inability to cope, the determination to make something of oneself. It was moving, at times funny, always thought-provoking. No room for what-ifs, this is life, and Emma, Riley, Genevieve and Miller find peace at the end, for they have each other.
Kristan Higgins has always been a favorite author of mine. With her ability to deliver strong fleshed out characters that you truly want to know and her emotional and yet charming heroines and witty dialogue, her books are just so much fun to devour and are always so much more than a fluff read.

This time told in multiple point of views, I love Higgins ability to both make us hate some of the characters and later, not only care for them, but even like them. Most of all, she makes us feel for them in some many different ways. I love authors that can not only bring out the emotions in me, but make me truly think and truly feel, so much so that sometimes I want to both put the book down to catch my breathe and keep on reading it because I just can't get enough and have to know what happens next.

Truly an amazing book about people in all stages of life, each with their own personal demons, regrets, and ability to live, love, grow, and most of all, let go and forgive.
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

Kristan Higgins has been one of my favorite authors for a long time. I’ve read all of her Romance books multiple times and they never fail to lift my mood. Higgins’ writing has evolved over the last few years, though, as she’s moved into the Women’s Fiction market. She is still an excellent writer, perhaps even more popular now than ever, but I have to admit I don’t love the books of her newer genre as much as her backlist.

Life and Other Inconveniences is a multi-generational story focusing on the lives of Emma, her estranged grandmother Genevieve, and her daughter Riley. In addition to their POVs, there are a couple chapters from Genevieve’s son and Emma’s father, Clarke, and Miller, a widower/single father and Emma’s new love interest. I felt like there was kind of a lot to keep track of, even though there wasn’t a lot actually happening. The story is heavily character-driven and the first half was almost nothing but character history. One of the things that makes Higgins’ writing so distinctive is her use of flashback chapters and I usually love them, but they just didn’t work as well for me here. At one point there were three flashback chapters in a row from different POVs and it felt like too much. They are usually so effectively placed and I was a little disappointed how they were used here. I think the story could have benefited from sticking with fewer POVs.

I often say that such a character-driven story either has to have characters I love or love to hate, but I felt a little ambivalent to the characters here. I did like Emma (for the most part), Riley, Miller, and a few of the side-characters, but I never really loved them. Emma would be completely wonderful and level-headed one moment and then petty and insulting when someone made her mad. It made me a little sad that it was every time she was standing up for herself – or someone else – that she devolved to name-calling and this was supposed to be applauded. I also thought Genevieve was a pretty awful person. I never felt sorry for her, despite the things she went through. I just didn’t really care about her and it made it hard to get through her chapters.

One part of the story that I loved, though, was the romance between Emma and Miller. It played just a small part of the book, but it was cute and sweet and I liked how they helped each other. I honestly would’ve loved it if their relationship was the focus of the book instead. I don’t tend to read a ton of straight up Romance books (unless I’m in the midst of a Kindle Unlimited binge), but I will never stop hoping Higgins will return to her roots and give us another one.

Overall, Life and Other Inconveniences was enjoyable, but also a little disappointing to me. I feel like I need to say that it very well might be that I just wasn’t in the mood for this type of book when I read it and I’m sure there will be many people that absolutely love it. When I think of a Kristan Higgins book, though, I think of those sweet and funny Romances that I love and this book just didn’t fall into that category.

Overall Rating (out of 5): 3 Stars
My second Kristan Higgins read and I’m happy to say that I’m ready for more.

A deep look into four generations of family, Life and Other Inconveniences schools the reader about the path you chose in life and how it affects yourself and the others around you. Kristan blends multiple character points of view, each with an independent voice that didn’t feel overly complicated, while giving a detailed storyline.

This isn’t a normal read for me. I fell in love with Kristan’s Good Luck With That and since then I’m try to  step outside my reading box. I’m glad I did. This isn’t your normal happily ever after and yet I was thoroughly entertained. I will continue my journey with Kristan’s books.
This book ended up being a lot more serious than I expected, and definitely more serious than the charming pooch in the cover art implied.  Emma is a therapist living with her maternal grandfather and her teenage daughter outside Chicago,   She put herself through college and grad school as a single mother, after her uber-wealthy paternal grandmother kicked her out of the house when she got pregnant at the age of 18.  Now her daughter Riley is dealing with bullying classmates and they are both worrying about how they will pay for Riley's impending college expenses.  At this vulnerable moment, grandmother Genevieve reaches out: she is dying, and she promises to leave her money to young Riley if they agree to stay with her for the summer.

All the characters in this book have some major problems, and, let me tell you, it was hard to keep everyone and every issue straight at times.  That being said, the author does a nice job creating characters that feel like real people and have their own voices.  Most of the chapters are told from the first-person points of view of Emma and Genevieve, but there are a few chapters when we get to see the action from other perspectives.   To be honest, this did not always work well for me, and there were a few chapters where the style was jarringly different.  But overall, I felt that the novel was extremely well-done and I look forward to hearing what our library's patron's think.
Lindas Book Obsession Reviews "Life and Other Inconveniences" by Kristan Higgins, Berkley, August 2019

WOW! Kristan Higgins, Author of "Life and Other Inconveniences" has written an intriguing, riveting, emotional, dramatic, entertaining and thought-provoking novel. The Genres for this novel are Fiction, and  Women's Fiction. The timeline for this story is set in the present and goes to the past when it pertains to the characters or events in this story. The author describes her colorful and dramatic cast of characters as quirky, dysfunctional, complex, and complicated. I love that there are some dogs in this story as well.

Emma London is a single Mom and has done a great job raising her 16-year-old  daughter Riley while working jobs and going to school. Emma has had a hard life with abandonment issues from several family members. Emma's grandmother did take her in for years, when she was a child but when Emma got pregnant, threw her out to fend for herself.  It certainly is quite surprising that Emma gets a call now from her Grandmother, Genevieve London, requesting that Emma return to her home, Sheerwater. This is the uber-wealthy Genevieve London, responsible for the top designer handbag line.

Emma is ambivalent of what she should do, but Riley would really like to meet her Grandmother. Emma's Pop who has always been in her life is ready to go with them. It would bring them closer to Riley's father, who leaves nearby.

I appreciate that the author discusses the importance of family, decent moral values, understanding, compassion, communication, forgiveness, love and hope. Sometimes situations are not what they seem to be, and sometimes even mean spirited people can surprise you. What is the motivation for making people do the things that they do?  This is also a coming of age novel. I would highly recommend this thought-provoking novel and emotional novel.
I received a complimentary copy of this title from NetGalley. All opinions are given freely and are completely my own.

Emma and her wealthy grandmother Genevieve have been estranged since the birth of Emma’s teenaged daughter Riley. For Genevieve, Emma’s pregnancy was a betrayal, especially after she had raised Emma for much of Emma’s life. Yet, when Genevieve calls after nearly 2 decades and asks Emma to come with Riley, Emma has little choice.

I really enjoyed this book and could not put it down. Higgins developed the characters nicely even if they all weren’t the most likeable –much like life, not everyone is likeable. I also really enjoyed the multiple narrator approach. This was my first read by Kristin Higgins, but certainly not my last!

4.5/5 stars
Emma London had some early major bumps in life including the loss of her mother and essentially abandonment by her father at age eight. Sent to live with her patrician grandmother, Genevieve London, doyenne of a small Connecticut town, Emma had to adjust a completely new paradigm. Genevieve’s own sorrows of losing a young son and then a few years later, her husband have wounded her deeply. After the devastating events, she started a fashion house becoming very successful. Emma grows up in the beautiful but cold mansion as her grandmother’s hardened heart withheld love demanding only perfection. When Emma gets pregnant just before graduation high school, Genevieve throws her out.

Seventeen years later, Emma, who has made her own way very successfully with a PhD in Psychology, receives a call for help from the woman who abandoned her all those years ago. Emma and her daughter, Riley, decide to spend the summer in Connecticut helping a woman who has done little to deserve it. Not surprisingly, this story contains quite a bit of angst, painful emotions, and a lot time spent visiting old hurts and heartbreaks interspersed with some happy times as well.

Emma has given up many things to provide for Riley since her daughter’s father has proved to be less than responsible though Jason is in Riley’s life. The narrative is told from multiple POV’s which in some aspects interrupts the story’s flow; however, it does provide differing views from the several main characters.

Ms. Higgins's skills as a writer are definitely on display in this book. Readers will have to decide if this type of Women’s Fiction which cuts deeply and will take them on a real life emotional roller coaster wild ride is their cup of tea. Those who prefer Ms. Higgins’s straight romances may not be the best audience. This story contains complex health problems, tragic circumstances, and complicated relationships giving it an emotional wallop that packs a punch, but as always with Ms. Higgins's writing some humor softens the blows.
Two for two of new authors for me this week and I am definitely not complaining. I have heard of Kristan Higgins for years. Hell, I have a couple of her paperbacks on my bookshelf at home (what can I say, my TBR is massive). Yet, I hadn’t read anything of hers until this week. And damnit, I am so glad I did.

This book was a 5 star for me. I was completely hooked and engaged with the characters the entire time. They were written well. They were written like real people, with real problems, and a lot of freaking drama. To be biased, Miller and Tess were probably my favorites. Riley, I can only hope, is who my daughters might be like when they are older. And Emma – her strength like steel is admirable.

In short, some characters were likable, some were not. Some had money, others did not. You honestly get a glimpse of what privilege can provide you, and realize even that isn’t everything. Parenting is hard, single parenting and co-parenting is even harder. Losing a child is the absolute hardest.

Life and Other Inconveniences will make you laugh in solidarity, shed a tear with sadness, and fill your soul til its brimming. Higgins is now a staple in my favorites. Now, off to find those other books on my shelf…

I received an advanced copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Kristan Higgins is a must read for me every. Single. Time. I don't even need to read the synopsis to know that I will preorder her books without question. And I am never disappointed! Not only that, but she always makes me cry, even when I swear it won't happen this time. I'm a blubbering mess by the end of each of books, Life and Other Inconveniences included. I love that she always includes dogs, my favorite animal, and the way she weaves them into the story makes them part of the characters and storyline seamlessly. It's a gift she's had since her first novel. I loved the connection between Emma and Genevieve, their differences and similarities were so interesting to read about. This is a MUST read for anyone who loves contemporary women's fiction.
I have sent this review to New York Journal of Books where it will be released on the evening before the publishing date.

"Life and Other Inconveniences" by Kristan Higgins
Berkley
August 5, 2019
10-045148942X
448 Pages
Contemporary Women's Fiction

When Emma London was ten, her mother committed suicide. Her paternal grandmother, Genevieve, took her in to raise her. Aristocratic, wealthy, and snotty, she was hardly the right person to care for a young girl, but her son, Clarke, Emma's father was no better either. Genevieve believed she was better off living in her fitting atmosphere for one with the London name.

Emma barely saw her ne'er-do-well father, and looked for love from her grandmother, but it was never forthcoming. Emma became pregnant prior to her high school graduation and refused to either abort or give the child up for adoption. Genevieve threw her out like last week's garbage and fortunately, for Emma, Pop, her mother's father welcomed her.

Emma named her baby Riley, her mother's maiden name. To support them, she worked in a grocery store and took college classes at night and now, she and sixteen-year-old Riley still live with Pop in the Chicago suburbs.

When Riley's three closest friends shun her, she is bewildered and hurt, drawing into a shell. This happens right before summer vacation and Emma wonders how she can help her. Then she receives a call from Genevieve reporting she is dying. She asks Emma and Riley, the great-grandchild she never met, to come to her home in Connecticut and be with her before she dies. Emma wants no part of her but considers this as a way to get Riley away from her tormenting ex-friends, and because Emma consults with some clients via the Internet, she can work while away.

She has doubts about going, not having seen Genevieve since she disowned her:

"The night of the fateful phone call, I told Pop about Genevieve's offer when Riley was safely in her room, music playing.

"'Don't trust that ancient windbag further than you can throw her,' he said, his impressively bushy eyebrows lower in a scowl.

"'I know.'

"'Did she try to bribe you?'

"'Yep. She said she'd put Riley in the will.'"

Genevieve's "bribe" of leaving her wealth to Riley makes Emma reconsider. Finances are tight, and she worries about Riley's college education, so she unwillingly accepts the invitation with the stipulation Riley does not know about the offer.

Pop joins them, though he refuses to stay in Genevieve's mansion and instead rents a small apartment in town. Riley is flabbergasted when she sees the wealth she walks into and cannot contain her excitement. (How easy it is to sway impressionable young girls!) Emma is not happy but understands this is for Riley.

Their reunion is chilly, and Genevieve is dismayed upon meeting Riley for the first time—a typical teenager. With lustrous red hair and bold and beautiful eyes—the same eyes of her long-lost son, Sheppard—she knows she has her work cut out for her. She ponders:

"Here are some facts about getting older.

"You hate young people because their manners, clothes, and speech, as well as their taste in books, music, film, and television, are all inferior."

Genevieve, the maven of the huge fashion empire, London Designs, which has made her famous and extremely wealthy, is determined to initiate class and poise into her great-granddaughter.
Many characters round out this stirring novel with their own "tales" in separate chapters.

Genevieve comes off as a haughty, spoiled, and unforgiving woman, always turning her nose up at those she feels beneath her and expecting adoration from them. Maybe this is because her life has been anything but happy. Her oldest and most beloved son, Sheppard went missing as a young child, and after decades, there is no trace of him. Not long after this, her husband and love of her life died of a heart attack leaving her alone with Clarke, her youngest, and a boy she disdains. All she wants before she dies is closure and learning what happened to Sheppard.

Emma also dealt with difficulties as a single parent. Though she hoped her adored boyfriend, Jason would marry her, this did not happen. Now, settled in her career as a therapist, she dreads the thought of losing Riley to college and the closeness they share.

Genevieve is close to a young man, Miller Finlay who lost his wife three years before in childbirth and is saddled with a troublesome daughter who constantly has temper tantrums and cannot warm up to anyone. Miller is at his wit's end as to how to care for his little girl and the stress is taking a toll on him:

"Miller Finlay hated being a single father. He hated being a father, period. He was fairly sure he hated his daughter 95-percent of the time. She was three, but it wasn't her age. He'd pretty much hated her since the moment of her birth. Six minutes before, to be precise.

"Tess was not adorably naughty or energetic of challenging. She was horrible. Malevolent. Not the usual word used to describe a toddler, but Miller could think of nothing else to describe her screaming in the supermarket, a grating edge in her voice as she announces she was hungry (because she'd thrown her breakfast plate to the floor and demanded sugar in place of eggs.)"

The mixture of generations with differing problems, consequences, and thoughts blend to make this an interesting read. Will Genevieve ever accept Emma and Riley or will her cool and aloof demeanor go with her to the grave? Will Emma forgive her for throwing her out and not offering the love she so needed? Will she forgive her father and Riley’s father for abandoning her? Also, how does Miller fit into this scenario? A moving tale of despair, heartache, and trying to mend fences offers mystery, surprise, and an unexpected togetherness among an unlikely group.
Single mother Emma London has made a good life for herself and her daughter Riley, living in a Chicago suburb, when she gets a telephone call from her cold but fabulously wealthy great-grandmother.  Genevieve has just learned that she is dying of brain cancer, and she wants Emma and Riley to come and stay with her in Connecticut for the summer.  The problem is that Emma hasn’t heard from Genevieve in almost 17 years, since she kicked Emma out when she found out she was pregnant.

Most of Emma’s childhood memories are about Genevieve's negative comments:  Emma didn’t care about her appearance, she didn’t stand up for herself, she squandered her opportunities, she was never good enough overall.  With plenty of misgivings, Emma decides that a change at this time would be good for herself and her daughter.  She decides to return to Connecticut to find out why Genevieve has reached out to her.

This is a warm, fuzzy, feel-good read, with a number of strong women characters.  The story is told from the perspective of several different characters.  My only issue is that things work out a little too neatly and predictably.  There are a few characters who are dead at the beginning of the novel, and they are all practically canonized in the course of the novel, with nary a negative memory about any of them (it’s hard to compete with the dead – living people are complicated and messy).  But readers who enjoy women’s fiction or are looking for a great vacation read, as well as fans of Higgins' writing, will fall right into this story.

I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in return for a review.
I have only read one other book by Kristan Higgins and enjoyed it so much, I was excited when I had the opportunity to read this one. Life and Other Inconveniences was a lot heavier than I thought it would be, so be prepared to shed some tears.

Told from multiple perspectives, we see the story of the London family. Genevieve is the wealthy great-grandmother, Emma is the estranged grand-daughter and Riley is the great-granddaughter who most of the family has never met. The story is primarily told from these three perspectives, but a few other characters tell their stories as well.

Emma and Riley’s relationship reminded me of Lorelai and Rory from Gilmore Girls: a deep mother-daughter bond forged over time. I appreciated the subtle character growth that took place with each of the characters throughout the story.

This book explores the topic of grief within each of its characters and their loved ones. There are some difficult scenes throughout the book, so for those interested, I will include trigger warnings in my blog review. Every character has a story to tell as they learn to live amid the tragedies they have walked through.

I appreciated the way that Kristan Higgins handled the topic of dementia. I’m not sure I’ve read a book from the perspectives of both the person who is beginning to lose their memory as well as the perspective of their family. This aspect was interesting to me because my grandfather died with Alzheimer’s. I was fairly young when it happened, but I still remember watching my mom throughout that process. This was only one of many smaller stories throughout the book, but it was heartbreaking to watch.

When I say to be prepared to shed some tears, I mean it, so grab your tissues and curl up for a great little book about love, grief, friendship, and the power of family.

Thank you Berkley Pub for my copy. All opinions are my own.
4.5 STARS!

Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins was powerful, gripping, and utterly gut wrenching!

Emma London hasn't been back to Connecticut in 17 years. Her grandmother, Genevieve is dying and wants her to come home. They haven't talked in more than a decade, the last time they did things didn't end well. This is the same grandmother who raised her at the age of 8 but lacked showing her any love and affection. She was always told to mind her manners and act proper. Everything changes when Emma gets pregnant at 18 and she's kicked out and completely cut off.

Genevieve is a regal, proper, lady of society. Once a former high-end fashion designer (she reminded me of Miranda Priestly from the Devil Wears Prada), she refuses to accept dying alone, so she seeks Emma out to apologize for her past behavior and she wants the chance to meet her great granddaughter, Riley.

We get to meet this family and get to know them. It's beautiful yet heartbreaking with a realistic feel to the overall plot. Each character's life is intertwined. Four generations of women empowerment, growth, and change. By the last page of this book, I could honestly say I learned a lot about these characters and I was sad to say goodbye. Being from Connecticut myself, I would love to take a trip to the beautiful town of Stoningham.

Life and Other Inconveniences was my first read by this author and I can say with certainty it will not be my last. A story about life, love, loss, hurt, and lies, this book took me on a journey. You get to see a lot of family dynamics and it's told through both main and secondary characters points-of-view. This is a very emotional novel that will make you cry a lot and Kristan conveys emotion spectacularly, executing it perfectly. Page-turning and hard to put down, I recommend this to all readers who love women's fiction and contemporary books!!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Berkley through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.*
A single, mysterious event changes the lives of Genevieve, a wealthy woman, and her son Clark. Genevieve was raised to believe that if she followed the rules her mother taught her she would have a perfect life – and she was living that life until a tragedy changed things. Years later she finds herself caring for one granddaughter and then another. As the years go by Genevieve added more armor and turned into a formidable person who was admired by many but feared by her granddaughter, Emma. When Emma doesn’t follow Genevieves rules she is turned away and left to deal with her predicament at her grandfather’s Chicago area home. Fast forward several years and Emma receives a phone call from Genevieve saying she needs her to come to her Connecticut home and help her as she is quite ill. Emma will have to decide if blood is thicker than water and if she should head back East.

This is a novel that addresses messy family dynamics and how people deal when life throws a curve ball. Just could be, life could take a turn in a good way. I loved learning about Genevieve from the perspectives of Emma and her daughter Riley and I was charmed by several supporting characters. Kristan Higgins had me laughing at times and also reaching for a tissue. All in all, another good story from one of my favorite authors. Recommended.
Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins is another one of her wonderful contemporary stories revolving around Women’s fiction.   We meet our heroine, Emma London, who is a therapist, with a teenage daughter.  Emma receives a phone call from her grandmother, whom she hasn’t talked to in 17 years.  Emma lost her mother when she was 8 years old, her father dumped her to live with her grandmother, but when teenage Emma became pregnant and decided to keep the child, she was told to leave. Now 17 years, her grandmother wants her to come home and bring her teenage daughter, Riley.  At first Emma refuses, as she had to struggle as a pregnant teenager, living with her grandfather (from her other side) in Chicago, and manage to go to college and have a career, and bring up a wonderful sweet daughter.  Why does she need to see the grandmother who threw her away?

Genevieve London, is a wealthy, well known and successful business women; her fashion designs have made her very famous, but now Genevieve is older and life is changing for her.  She decides she wants to meet the great granddaughter she never knew, and try to make amends with her granddaughter.  She knows she is sick, and time is of importance.   Can she convince Emma to come home?

Emma decides perhaps she should go for the summer with Riley, and offers her grandmother a deal.   Help pay for Riley’s college education, maybe leave Riley her rightful inheritance, and allow her to be the guardian for her mentally ill half-sister.  When Genevieve agrees, Emma, Riley and Paul (grandfather) go to Connecticut for the summer.

What follows is a wonderful heartwarming story revolving around Genevieve, Emma and Riley, as they slowly come to terms with the past, and find love and forgiveness in a summer that brings them together.  Emma will learn the truth about Genevieve’s illness (dementia), and despite her original misgivings, she acknowledges her love for her grandmother, and is determined to be there for her throughout the eventual decline.

It was wonderful to watch Riley win over her great grandmother and over the summer become such a wonderful strong young girl, who not only loved her mother, but also Genevieve.  I also thought it was heartwarming to see Genevieve open her eyes to how wonderful Emma did in bringing up Riley, as well as making her own successful career.  There was also a nice slow build background romance for Emma and Miller.  Miller, who lost his wife to childbirth three years ago, is struggling with bringing up their wild nasty rebellious child, and I loved when Riley and Emma were the only ones who seem to be able to calm and control the little girl (Tess).

Kristan Higgins has created another wonderful story, with three great main characters, but also some wonderful secondary characters.  Life and Other Inconveniences gave us an emotional look at a family that needed to rise from past mistakes and tragedy, and find a way to bring them together.  It was a heartwarming, emotional, sweet and sad story revolving around three very strong women.  I suggest you read this book now.
4.5 stars.

Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins is a poignant, heartwarming and humorous novel of family, new beginnings and healing.

A single mother in her mid-thirties, Emma London is finally establishing herself in her career. She remains estranged from her wealthy paternal grandmother Genevieve who turned her back on her granddaughter after she becoming pregnant at eighteen. Emma’s beloved grandfather, Pop, took her in and she and her sixteen year daughter Riley still live with him. They are extremely close-knit but Emma is worried about Riley, who has suddenly become moody and uncommunicative. When Genevieve unexpectedly calls to tell her she is dying of cancer and would like to meet Riley, Emma is uncertain whether or not she wants to expose her daughter to her overly critical great-grandmother. But after Riley becomes a victim of bullying from her longtime former “best” friends,  Emma decides a change of scenery will go a long way in helping her daughter. But can a summer with her acerbic grandmother heal their rift?

Genevieve is a harsh woman who became hardened with grief following her young son’s disappearance and her beloved husband’s premature death. Instead of comforting her son Clark, she threw herself into starting her own business. Clark never lived up to her exacting standards and her disappointment in him has never abated. After her daughter-in-law’s death, raising Emma falls on Genevieve’s reluctant shoulders.

Emma is slightly neurotic yet surprisingly upbeat and cheerful. She is a fierce mother bear but she tries to give her daughter the space and privacy she needs to deal with whatever is bothering her.  Emma initially keeps her distance from Genevieve but she is pleasantly surprised at the instant rapport between Riley and her great-grandmother. She finds it surprisingly easy to settle back into her grandmother’s orbit and Emma easily holds her own against Genevieve’s biting comments.

Riley is an absolutely delightful teenager who is quite charmed by her great-grandmother. Their interactions are laced with witty banter as they grow close.  Riley also finally gets the chance to connect with her younger half-brothers and she forms a warm friendship with the son of her great-grandmother’s friends.

Emma unexpectedly  becomes close with Miller Finlay, a widower with a troubled three year daughter, Tess. Miller is struggling with his grief over the death his wife, Ashley.  Young Tess is quite the handful and her mischief creates one of the funniest scenes in the novel.

Life and Other Inconveniences is a captivating family-centric  novel that is deeply affecting. Emma is an endearing woman with enviable strengths and relatable flaws. Riley is a refreshing breath of fresh air who is well-adjusted and genuine.  Genevieve is initially rather off-putting, but she is surprisingly easier to like as she grows close to Riley. The storyline is well-written and fast-paced.  Kristan Higgins brings this heartfelt, entertaining novel to a wonderfully uplifting yet slightly bittersweet conclusion.  I absolutely loved and highly recommend this emotionally compelling novel.
Touching, a little romantic, and sometimes laugh out loud funny; Life and Other Inconveniences is a wonderful novel about the nature of grief and affection in a complicated family.
This is my first book by Kristan Higgins and she's one of those authors I've wanted to read for the longest time. I have several of her books, but I've never made the time. That will be changing soon because I really liked her writing style.

Life and Other Inconveniences is a story that follows 3 women. Emma, her daughter Riley, and her grandmother Genevieve. I loved the generational aspect of the story and the familial bonds. I did, however, expect a little more humor and a little more romance. This very much read to me more like a women's fiction book and I was expecting a little more romance/chick lit, but I still liked it.

This was a great summer read and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author in the near future!
Kristan Higgins' book Life and Other Inconveniences was a good read about family dynamics and relationships. Genevive London retired from her own fashion design company where she was a superstar. But in life, her relationships with her family are not as successful. She has only herself to blame. Those that cared about her she held at arm's length. She controlled all aspects of her life until her health starts to decline. Is it too let to make amends? Will her granddaughter, teen-aged great-granddaughter (who she has never met) and her son allow her to mend their relationships. Great characters, loved the settings and enjoyed the book.