Cover Image: Life and Other Inconveniences

Life and Other Inconveniences

Another great book by this author. It made me laugh and cry. I liked the different chapters where the different characters talked. It's a great story with some valuable lessons. I loved all the main characters but Tess was a riot of laughs.
I think this is an incredible book, the best Kristan Higgins has written. It is a beautifully written story of love, family, second changes, and strong women.
After  17:years, Emma has heard from her grandmother,the woman who raised her, but then kicked Emma out when she became pregnant. Strong willed, wealthy, Genevieve claims she’s dying and wants Emma, and her great granddaughter, Riley, whom she’s never met, to spend the summer with her in CT.  Emma has no intention of doing so, until she decides it would be better for Riley. It’s not easy in the beginning  for any of them, but the bonds of family and forgiveness make everything possible.
When I see a book by Kristin Higgins, I know immediately that I want to read it. I don’t need to read a synopsis, I just know I will love whatever she’s written. Her newest book centers around the relationship between Emma London and her oh so proper blue blooded New England grandmother, Genevieve. Dumped on her grandmother’s doorstep after the death of her mother, the two had an uneasy peace until Emma got pregnant in high school. Emma found herself on the street with nothing, no money, no place to live, nothing. Emma pulled herself together and built a life for herself and her daughter Riley. Now years later, the woman Emma cannot even bear to think about is back and asking for her help. Of course, you know Emma will help, otherwise there wouldn’t be much of a story, but how she makes the decision to reenter her grandmother’s life and what happens as a result is what makes Higgins such a star. Every book she writes has a place in my heart and this is no different. Read it and weep