Cover Image: Moments We Forget

Moments We Forget

Catch up with the Thatcher sisters in Moments We Forget. This is the second book in Beth K. Vogt’s series, following Things I Never Told You, and I highly recommend reading them in order—but don’t worry; they’re both worth it.

Sisters Johanna, Jillian, and Payton all encounter more with which to deal in this continuation, and middle-child Jillian is at the center of it all (an unfamiliar place for her to be, for sure). Life is, by no means, easy, despite what she has already overcome, and yet, this story pushes her to consider both her sisters and her faith through the ups and downs.

If you love contemporary stories of sisterhood, challenging and authentic circumstances, and the discovery of faith (especially when set in Colorado!), definitely read Moments We Forget. Vogt delivers an emotional roller coaster of a story that should not be missed.
The Hardest Thing about This Book and Why I Love It
Obviously, the hardest thing about this book should be the cancer—how even after you’ve beaten it, you can lose.  Lose your memory, your hopes, your dreams.

I won’t pretend that wasn’t hard, but the point of this book is that hope isn’t found in a lack of cancer diagnosis.  It’s found in Jesus.

No, the hardest thing was watching the relationships between these sisters and seeing similarities in people you know and love—seeing how they create their own pain.  Seeing that avoiding the pain causes a different kind of pain.

I love the book because the author, with brilliant use of words, welcomes you into the lives of characters.  Even her point of view choices offer insights into character development and in the end, you’re left with wanting more.

And that’s a good thing because guess what?
This was book two. We are offered an invitation to walk through that cancer journey with Jillian in Things I Never Told You.  It’s on my shelf.  It’ll be hard to read.  I’m walking through another cancer battle with another friend right now.

Actually, that’s a bit… overstated.  She’s walking.  I’m following behind, weeping, praising God for victories, begging Him for more time (she’s stage IV), ready to be a support if she needs me but instead, being supported by her amazingness.

This book didn’t just tell stories I related to in a brilliant and poignant way.  It prepared my heart for more… for understanding more. And maybe, just perhaps… it helped prepare me for the next day when I come home from a memorial service after saying “see you soon” to a friend who has gone to be with Jesus.

And that day, I’ll probably type those three, horrible words again.  I hate sin.

Not an easy book to read, but it’s not hard, either.  I don’t know how to classify it, but I recommend it for people who value friendships, who understand broken relationships, and who want to invest a bit more in their lives.  I’m so glad I requested and received a review copy.  Looking forward to book one. Sort of.
Reviewed for the Spring 2019 issue of Hope By The Book magazine

Pertinent and compelling, the second book of the Thatcher Sisters series is a story of characters and memories of who they are and will become.  With the main focus on the thoughts of Jillian, a recovering cancer survivor, her road of recovery is filled with challenges expected and unexpected from love ones and her pre-diagnosed life. A strong and authentic portrayal of sisters, the surprising revelation of marriage life and the self-admission of faith brings forth perception and perspective.  With themes that resonate with readers, vulnerable and poignant as it can be, Vogt astutely crafted a valiant story of life and the many roles one encounters.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, and have not been compensated for this. This is my honest opinion.
Moments We Forget continues the story of the Thatcher sisters, which began in Things I Never Told You (and yes, you really should read the books in order, as much of what happens in this novel was set up in the first book). When this novel begins, middle sister Jillian has beaten breast cancer and is settling into married life ... but then circumstances arise that set her off balance and threaten all of her hopes and dreams. Youngest sister Payton finds herself open to faith for the first time in her life, but she doesn't know if she's believing for herself or because that's what her deceased twin Pepper wanted for her. And oldest sister Johanna unexpectedly finds herself at a crossroads in her personal and professional life. As the three Thatcher sisters cope with the unexpected twists of life, they also take baby steps toward each other.

After being a secondary character in Things I Never Told You, Jillian becomes the main character in Moments We Forget. After finishing her breast cancer treatment, she thought life would become easier ... but it didn't. Her story of coming to grips with her new reality and beginning a faith journey is beautiful to watch. Payton's relationship with God, which began in Things I Never Told You, continues to grow throughout this novel, and it was nice to see her more settled after the emotional roller coaster she was on in that first novel. And then there's Johanna ... I could. not. stand. her in book one, and I struggled to like her in this book, as well. She's a bossy know-it-all who can't ever say "I'm sorry." But we get to know her better in this book, and she slowly becomes more sympathetic. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how her story continues!

When this series begins, no one in the Thatcher family has any semblance of a relationship with Christ. The faith journeys in these first two books strike me as authentic—while "lightning bolt" moments do happen, I think that probably more often, there's a slow awakening to an interest in the Lord, and then the time comes when you have to make a decision about whether you believe and choose to follow Christ. That's what's depicted here, at least with Payton and Jillian. (Something tells me that, just based on personality, Johanna's conversion—if it comes—will look a bit different.)

Moments We Forget is a beautiful story of sisterhood, faith, and forgiveness. You'll definitely want to have a Kleenex box nearby as you read!
Moments We Forget is the second book in Beth K. Vogt’s Thatcher Sister Series. This book would be more enjoyable if you have read the second book, however you can read it alone if necessary This book’s main focus is on Jillian and her life after Breast Cancer. However it also gives snippets of Johanna and Payton, Jillian’s older and younger sisters ‘ lives. Jillian has to face that her life after breast cancer is not the life that she had planned or ever wanted. In addition to her own physical challenges she has to deal with an emotional bombshell that will rock the life she is trying to make for herself.

As a Cancer survivor many part of Jillian’s life hit way too close to my story. I understand her constant fatigue, fatigue so strong that it doesn’t even feel like an appropriate word. I understand her constantly trying to catch up with life. However I have something that Jillian doesn’t have, I have Faith in Jesus. I don’t want to imagine the cancer journey without faith in God and that is something that Jillian has done. I will read the next book, I want to closure for all three sisters.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. This in no way influenced my review all opinions are my own
MOMENTS WE FORGET is a story about three sisters who haven't gotten along most of their lives who are trying to reconnect and find that there are some things that join them together. Recommended to Women's Fiction and Contemporary Romance readers.

The beginning of this story threw me a little. I hadn't read the first book and I felt like I was missing some pieces. There also are quite a few different POVs and not a lot of intro into each one at first. However, it didn't take me long to get everyone straight and get into this book.

Each one of these sisters was easy to relate to in some way. They each have their strengths and their weaknesses and their struggles. Some of them feel like their life is going perfectly and then catastrophe strikes. Surprisingly (at least to them), they learn to lean on each other. There is romance, friendship, forgiveness, heartbreak (oh, the heartbreak - grab the tissues!), faith, and love woven through this story. These sisters aren't quite done and I'm hoping for a more resolved happily-ever-after in the next book.

In the end, was it what I wished for? I really enjoyed this story. It was heartfelt, genuine, pulled on my emotions, and I couldn't help but fall in love with these sisters. I'm looking forward to more!

Content: Some innuendo, couples living together.
Source: I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, which did not require a positive review nor affect my review in any way.
Such a good book!
I love this series.... The interaction between the sisters, the emotions, the unspoken thoughts, the misconceived impressions all make for an intriguing story.
It is an interesting story about how a family tries to balance their past hurts with today's reality. Every family that has several siblings is bound to have some of these same problems.
I hope you choose to pick up a copy of Moments We Forget and see how the Thatcher sisters navigate these trouble waters.
Let me start by saying how sorry I am that I did not read the first book in this series! Not because I felt lost in this one, because I didn’t at all. Vogt does a wonderful job of putting little back stories here and there to catch a new reader up. BUT I feel like had I read book one first, my emotions probably would have been even more heightened (and at times they were pretty high!). So my first recommendation to you is start at the beginning. I think it’ll be worth it.

This book as so much emotion in it. While I don’t have any sisters, I was still able to find a little connection with each sister, because essentially they all remind me of people in my life. And yes, I do argue with these people from time to time. That’s what people with differing personalities tend to do from time to time. The Thatcher sisters still loved each other, and would help each other out if needed. They just needed to reach a point where they were comfortable laying their burdens out. Galatians 6:2 tells us to “Bear ye one another’s burdens”, and this was one of the hard lessons these sisters had to learn.

The part of the story line that intrigued me the most was Payton’s walk with the Lord. She was so raw and honest with her thought process. She truly wanted to make sure that she wasn’t starting a relationship with God for Pepper, or Zach. She needed to make sure she was doing it for herself. That statement is such an inspiration to me as a reader. It’s something I think our young people today need to hear. God doesn’t want you to seek Him to please other people. At the same time, Payton realizes that God is patient. And oh, is He ever patient! He didn’t want her rushing into a decision either, and so He gave her little seeds here and there, and allowed her the freedom and time to sort it all out on her own. I may have loved the drama, the relationships, the mix of emotions while I was reading this book, but this – this is what I loved the most.

Vogt certainly has a way with writing relationships. The good, the bad, the ugly, and the redemption. Jillian’s own journey about having children in her future just about put me to tears. I can’t really expand on that anymore to avoid spoilers, but the way Vogt wrote that story line was a surprise to me. I did not at all expect what came to be between Jillian and her husband. I better stop talking before I give it away 🙂

This book, no this series is a must read. I will definitely be going back to book one (shame on me for even missing it!), and look forward to the next release. Hopefully you will be too! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Follow the story of three sisters who are just coming into acceptance of one another.  For over ten years, they have been guarded around one another, following the death of a fourth sister in her teens.  This book has them beginning to drop the guard and learn how to be with one another.  One struggles with job woes, another with cancer, and the third with guilt over finding love and happiness.  This book digs into the spiritual lives of the sisters, too.  It is a good follow-up story, as this is book 2 in the series.
This is the second book in the Thatcher Sisters series and I can't wait for the next one, at least there needs to be a next one. So much is left hanging yet at this point.

Three sisters, each battling their own problems, relationship issues, and life challenges, along with struggling to even get together without arguing. It's a story of family, of secrets, of healing, of redemption, of hope or at least the journey to hope, of loss, and love.

I don't know how to fully describe it, but I love this series: Joanna, the headstrong oldest, Jillian the middle child who feels completely overlooked, and Payton, the lone surviving twin, each on their own journey and yet Beth intertwined their stories together in the book so that we heard from them all. The most prominent character in this book was Jillian, in her first book it was Payton, so I'm sure there needs to be a third book to concentrate on Joanna, who is my least favorite sister and yet she has so much to offer.

Beth has the ability to bring the characters alive, to let you into their struggles, to make you want to cry and laugh with them and sometimes to shake them and say, "Come on, let's get this figured out. I know what you need to do."

I just highly recommend this series. It's refreshing to read a good, well-written book that isn't just boy meets girl. Yes, there was a wedding in this book, but it wasn't the overriding subject of the book and that just increases this book's value, at least to me.

I received this book from Tyndale through NetGalley and was not required to write a positive review.
2.5 stars rounded up. I fully expected to love this book, unfortunately I did not. I don’t know if it was the author’s writing style or the plot itself, but I just never got into the story. I was expecting a much more inspirational read than what I felt this to be. In full disclosure, I only found out after reading , that this is the second book in a series of three, and I didn’t read the first book, which may have affected my enjoyment of the second.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
First of all, do not read this book without reading book #1, "Things I Never Told You," first since this book picks up where that one left off and honestly it is such a good book you would not want to miss it!  This series if focusing on the Thatcher sisters, there were four and now there are three.  Jillian, Johanna and Payton have not really coped with Pepper's death and each sister is dealing with changes and things going on in their lives as well as the wedge that is in their relationships with each other.  Jillian is trying to cope with recovering from the cancer that she diagnosed with on the day of her engagement party.  She thinks she is doing well and life can only get better since she has beat that; however the side effects have a long lasting impact. The girls decide to start a book club together to try and build that bond with each other; however these meetings do not even go smoothly.  As the girls attempt to work through their own issues and the tension they have each other, they are provided advice and guidance, but is that really enough?
I really enjoyed this book; it is heart-wrenching at times, and other moments I found myself smiling so big.  However, this is real life, the ups and downs, not everything is smooth-sailing and I love how this is presented as it makes the characters so easy to relate to. I love how the book is told from varying perspectives, each of the sisters, although the main focus is on Jillian.  Each of the girls are struggling in their own way and their hearts are softening and yet still so guarded.  Zach is a character who I really like, his patience, his understanding and his gentle way of introducing God and His love to the sisters.  I highly recommend this book and am looking forward to book #3!
I really enjoyed the first book in this series. Beth created a family that tugged at my heart and I was eager to see how they were doing in this book.

They are still pretty messy…but God is working. Even though the Thatcher sisters are lost hope is sprinkled throughout the book. I love how Beth didn’t make it a quick come to Jesus moment. She made it very real.

The dynamics of the family very much remind me of my own. Play your role, say what you are expected to say, don’t call anyone out on the obvious and all will be happy. It’s sad, but true and I expect this happens in a lot of families. Don’t rock the boat, the family won’t know what to do if we actually started to speak the truth.

I enjoyed getting to know Jillian more, although reading her story also made me sad at times, I wanted a bit more joy in her life, so it was difficult to read, yet it was life.

I can’t wait to read more of Johanna’s story, because I don’t really like her much but I want to and I am hoping she will finally have a breakthrough in the next book.

A copy of this book was given to me. All opinions are my own.
“Moments We Forget” is a contemporary women’s Christian novel. This is my first to read by author Beth K. Vogt and I quite liked her style. She writes at a steady pace. Nothing is rushed and yet it isn’t slow or sluggish. It is Book 2 in the Thatcher Sisters Series but I managed it okay without having read Book 1 yet. However, I wish I had read Book 1 first.

Her characters are down to earth. They are well defined and easy to imagine. In this Book there are three sisters with three distinct, unique personalities. Vogt gives voice to each one and they naturally come to life on her pages. I have one sister and always wanted another. This novel made me wish for even more.

The women are still grieving the loss of their fourth sister from years ago. Besides that each sister has her own particular trial or burden to bear. This book addresses grief, family, trials, death, cancer, adoption, infertility, and God. The subjects are timely and relevant to women today.

Author Vogt wrote in such a way that I became emotionally invested in the story. I wanted peace among the sisters. It was easy to identify with them. A text from their mother made me chuckle. How many times had I written one like that, received one, or been the cause for one?

This book has stayed with me even though I have already started another. It was an engaging book and I became interested immediately. At times it was hard to read yet I could not put it down. Tears rolled down my cheeks many times while turning the pages.

The author has done a great job researching, planning, and writing this tale of sisterhood and family. The Christian message is there, too. She has shown readers that family dynamics are difficult at best and unlike any treasure ever found.

I definitely would recommend this book to any woman. It is 418 pages long and the ARC that I received did not have Discussion Questions. This series would be perfect for a women’s reading group. There is a lovely journey to the Lord written in it. I rated this 4 out of 5 stars.
This is the first book for me by this author, I really enjoyed it. This book follows the journey of three sisters each faced with a time in their lives that they have been hit the hardest. When the book first starts out you are reading about Jill, I would have to say most the book is about her and the journey she faces after dealing with breast cancer. However there are parts of the book that you read about the other sister, I wish those were labeled who you were catching up with, as the book is written in a first person telling and sometimes it takes a second to realize the characters have changed. This book is a good clean read, some parts will really get to your heart. Over all I really enjoyed this read.
Oh my! I'm never disappointed with Beth Vogt's storytelling! After reading the first book in this Thatcher Sisters series, I didn't know if she could match it, but this installment is just as engaging and emotional. As a middle sister myself, identifying with Jillian was seamless. I love all the sisters, but Jillian is the easiest for me to connect with.

I love the way the family dynamics feels authentic, and also enjoyed the spiritual thread throughout. There are emotional parts that truly touched my heart. This story gives me all the feels. Beautifully written.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley, but was not required a positive review.
What a good book! Realistic, true-to-life characters with all-too-real issues.

Three sisters. They've faced so much pain, they've already lost one sister, due to a tragic accident, then Jillian faces a cancer diagnosis...but wait--these issues were all in the first book, Things I Never Told You. I hadn't read that book previously, so quickly sat down and read it..and I'm glad I did, because this book kind of goes right on where it left off.

Jill is a newly-married bride, has just come through cancer treatments...and now....

One thing about this family, it is made clear in the first book, they are not a family that believes in God. Pepper, the sister who died, had just found God prior to her accident. In the first book, Payton begins seeking.

So. Why am I saying this...because of this, there are some things in this story you don't find in a typical Christian fiction...sleeping together before marriage, to name one.

There is not a lot of reference to God, but like I mentioned, Payton began her search, and I think there is more to come.

The author carefully shows how they are lost and looking for something more in life. These sisters are very realistic. They are portrayed in depth, all their true characteristics on display. And yes, they deal with various hard issues in life. In a way that makes us all take a deep, hard look at our own lives.

Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from various sources, including, publishers, publicists, authors, and/or NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review, and have not received any compensation. The opinions shared here are my own entirely. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
illian Thatcher has spent most of her life playing the family peacemaker, caught in the middle between her driven, talented older sister and her younger, spotlight-stealing twin sisters. Then on the night of her engagement party, a cancer diagnosis threatens to once again steal her chance to shine. Now, Jillian’s on the road to recovery after finally finishing chemo and radiation, but residual effects of the treatment keep her from reclaiming her life as she’d hoped. And just when her dreams might be falling into place, a life-altering revelation from her husband sends her reeling again. Will Jillian ever achieve her own dreams, or will she always be “just Jillian,” the less-than Thatcher sister? Can she count on her sisters as she tries to step into a stronger place, or are they stuck in their childhood roles forever?

My Thoughts:  This is a compelling story about three sisters who all have the difficulties that they are overcoming.  Each one is on a journey that brings them back together again.  This is a story that the readers can get lost in, that can connect and relate to in each of their own lives.  The characters are real, with down to earth troubles that can happen at any time in our lives.    This is a story about coming together, letting the past go, looking forward to the future and of course, there is an element of forgiveness.

I do like that the gospel is given in this novel, the fact that we do need God in our lives is foremost to living a life worth living.  To those who don't know Christ, they can become lost or bitter during some of the circumstances that these sisters faced.

The writer has written a novel that is easy to read, the storyline flows well and she brings the reader into the story that makes it personal to the reader.

I truly enjoyed this novel and look forward to reading more from Beth K. Vogt.
When I began reading this book it was apparent that there was a lot of tension in the relationships of the three sisters in Moments We Forget. Jillian is the middle Thatcher sister and she considers herself the peacemaker between her older and younger sister but she also feels like she is a little overlooked. She feels like she has been branded "just Jillian" and that she has worn this brand most of her life! Jillian is now fighting the after effects of her cancer diagnosis.The chemo and radiation treatments have zapped her energy, messed with her memory and her ability to complete her daily tasks, and she is currently unable to have a baby. Jillian also senses a distance developing between her and her biggest champion, her husband Geoff.
As I read this story, I realized that having a sister (or sisters) may not always be as perfect as some would have you believe. Family dynamics don't always make for a perfect sibling relationship and these Thatcher sisters are also missing the comfort that faith can offer. The Thatchers are non-believers during much of Moments We Forget but Beth K. Vogt does show two of the sisters reaching out to God.  I was especially touched as Jillian contemplates her problems and her family's lack of belief in God.  As she wondered about God loving someone as insignificant as her, Jillian realized that if she could find her way to a big, loving God who could fix all of her problems she would run straight to Him! Vogt allows readers to witness how God has a way of turning the coldest hearts warm and drawing the most reluctant people closer to Him.
Moments We Forget is the second book of The Thatchers series and I didn't feel like I needed to have read the first book. I do, however, hope to read Things I Never Told You because I believe I would have an even deeper understanding of these three sisters. I look forward to learning more of their story!
This is a contemporary fiction novel and it focuses on some of the issues that many of us have encountered: death. grief, infertility, adoption and unfaithfulness. It isn't, however, all doom and gloom because the author also reminds us of the importance of family, of moments to remember and moments to forget, and the ever-present hope that comes from believing and trusting in God!
I received a complimentary digital copy of this book from the author via Celebrate Lit and Net Galley but I wasn't obligated to write a positive review.
I did not realize that this was the second book in the series so I felt a little lost throughout. I would recommend reading "Things I Never Told You" first
for Payton's story and the background on Jillian who is the main character in this book.
The endless bickering between the sisters was annoying to me. I felt for Jillian, the peacemaker caught in the middle of the family. Her husband Geoff is a bit of a mystery who I had hoped to learn more about. I'm looking forward to reading Johanna's story to understand her ridged personality.
I liked that the author expressed in a non-judgemental way that people come to know God in their own way at their own pace.