The View from Alameda Island

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 May 2019

I first discovered Robyn Carr many years ago with her wonderful The House on Olive Street. This book has many of the same characteristics, a heroine we fall in love with, a rich world of supporting characters, a deep emotional overlay and so much more. Lauren has the perfect life, to some observers, but deep down, she resents her controlling husband and wonders why sh'e's spent a quarter of a century married to him. Is escape possible? When she meets a man who is contemplating divorce, she realizes she has choices in her life. A page turner, a wonderful read.
The View from Alameda Island was a touching read. It's a story about divorce, adult children, and controlling ex-spouses. As any Robyn Carr reader will know, she has the ability to pull you into the story and usually has a side story happening too.

Beau and Lauren meet in a church garden when they are both going through rough times in their marriages. Both have made the decision to leave the marriages and a friendship develops. Their story is of loss, personal growth, and ultimately love.
*thank you Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC for an honest review*

3 / 5 stars

Not going to lie. Some of the things that happened in this book felt repetative. I mean, it’s romance for goodness sake. Aren’t there some things that you see over and over again but still work? That’s what I felt while reading this arc. It felt familiar, like I was in well cared for hands. It also had many things that made it stand out. Lauren Delaney isn’t perfect, fucks up, and is given the time and patience to explore what makes her Lauren and how she can improve herself for herself. So, yes. Repetitive. But also fresh, unwavering, and maybe the kind of thing I wouldn’t mind reading again because I kind of know what I’m walking into.
Author Robyn Carr does it again! I know I've said this numerous times. This amazing author always one-ups herself with every single book she writes. This one has become one of my favorites now. I loved the plot and the writing as always is just perfection. So much love for this book and for the author.
Captivating and emotional! Two characters are coming to a crossroad in their life right around the same time and when they meet, it's the breath of fresh air they each needed. Friendship leads to romance as their divorces progress. The characters were both emerging from bad situations and finding solace in a happier life and each other. The plot had surprising aspects woven in that kept it fresh, although I felt like the side story of Tim and Angela was distracting from the heart of the story. Overall a really good read!

Wife and mother Lauren Delaney has been living a lie. To others, she has a great life of wealth and prestige with a loving husband and prospering daughters ... in reality, she's been biding her time until her children are at a point where they can support themselves so she can finally leave her controlling husband. On their 24th wedding anniversary, she puts her final plan in motion ... and meets a kindred spirit.

Beau Magellan has been going through the motions for years with his unhappy wife. It's an ongoing game of her leaving then coming back only to repeat at her leisure. This time he's had enough. He wants his freedom this time, and when he meets Lauren at a time in her life when she's starting on the same journey, they strike up a friendship that will later lead to more.
The View from Alameda Island is a book title dear to my heart because I used to live near Mill Valley, which, in this story, is the location of Lauren Delaney’s home during her marriage. The community is a metaphor for Lauren’s stifling existence because up-market houses like hers are closed off from the street and protected from the view of neighbors by a moat of hedges and/or walls. Contrast that milieu with Alameda, an island in the East Bay, that looks over the water to San Francisco. Alameda feels like an old-fashioned village with craftsman-style houses and inviting porches that look out over lawns onto sidewalks.

Before Lauren marries successful surgeon Brad, her mother warns her, “If you marry for money, you’ll earn every penny of it.” So true. On the surface, Lauren leads an enviable life but she’s deeply unhappy. She decides to leave Brad.

Oh, wouldn’t Brad be surprised when she finally did. And he’d be angry. She knew people would inevitably ask, Why now? After twenty-four years? Because it had been twenty-four hard years. It had been hard since the beginning. Not every minute of it, of course. But overall, her marriage to Brad had never been a good situation. She spent the first several years thinking she could somehow make it better, the next several years thinking she probably didn’t have it so bad since he was only emotionally and verbally abusive, and the last ten years thinking she couldn’t wait to escape once her daughters were safely raised. Because, the truth was he was only going to get more cantankerous and abusive with age.

Robyn Carr’s heroines always operate with the best intentions. In The View from Alameda Island Lauren Delaney carefully develops a precise roadmap to disentangle her marriage, wanting to inflict the least amount of harm on her soon-to-be ex and their two daughters. Unintended consequences make that goal an impossibility.

A non-surprising coincidence in romance is the appearance of an Act Two partner as Act One winds down. One night on her way home, in the waning days of her marriage, Lauren stops by a lovely garden attached to a church. She strikes up an intimate conversation with the gardener. Sometimes it’s easy to talk to a stranger.

She noticed, suddenly, how good-looking this man was. He looked like he was in his forties, a tiny amount of gray threading his dark brown hair at his temples. His eyes were dark blue. His hands were large and clean for a gardener. “Now what makes a volunteer gardener decide to read psychology?” she asked.

He tells her that when he reads, he “can zone out everything except what’s happening in my head,” … at least that’s what his wife says. Much to her surprise, she and Brad run into him at a fundraiser that evening. Beau Magellan is a successful landscape entrepreneur who is also unhappily married and lives and works in Alameda: the same community Lauren picks to start her new life. We readers know how this story is going to end, right?

Not so fast. Brad Delaney goes coldly ballistic. He fights Lauren for every penny, threatening to cut off financial support for their daughters. Unfortunately, geography does not protect Lauren from Brad’s abusive nature. Lauren has never really lived alone before but in the aftermath of filing for divorce, she taps into inner reserves of strength she didn’t know she possessed.

On the positive side of the ledger, Lauren’s new friend Beau is a special man. He fights to retain his self-respect, maintain a good relationship with his step-sons, and respectfully disentangle from a moribund marriage. Without giving away too much, his ex is as weird and vindictive as Brad.

Lauren and Beau’s journey to an HEA is circuitous and slow but they are good people. People who deserve to love and be loved. The View from Alameda Island is a perfect second-chance, older hero/heroine story and I enjoyed every minute of it.
WOW!  This story said so much.  Anyone could be Lauren.  Robyn led us through the life and the antics in such a way it was as if I was a part of it.

Buy it at: Amazon/Apple Books/Barnes & Noble/Kobo
Visit our Amazon Storefront
THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND is the story of Lauren Delaney and her seemingly perfect life. Perfect until it wasn’t. She has two beautiful daughters and is married to a very successful surgeon. On her twenty fourth wedding anniversary she makes a decision that will change her life forever…….she walks away!

While visiting a local garden she meets a man, Beau, and they begin talking. He seems to be a kindered spirit but Lauren tries to keep her distance even though she is very attracted to him. He is going through a divorce as well and they decide to become friends only. Beau is the step dad to his soon to be exes sons, but he is more of their parent than their crazy mother ever was. THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND shows that both of these kind loving people have to deal with total craziness from their soon to be exes. Lauren’s husband, Brad totally loses his mind and comes after Lauren and is determined to make her life a living hell. Get ready readers, the twists and turns keep on coming!

Oh let me tell you, Beau is going to definitely give you all the feels. That’s all I’m saying…….anyway, after some time, things between Beau and Lauren certainly heat up! But it’s always very sweet and I really wanted Lauren to open up to Beau and explain why she is the way she is. She is very guarded and Beau doesn’t think he stands a chance. Hang on people, THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND is an intense and crazy ride.

THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND is a quick read that you can easily read in one sitting and love every minute of it. It is one heck of a crazy emotional roller coaster ride that will have you filled with rage for what Brad puts Lauren though! I have never met a Robyn Carr book that I didn’t love and once I start reading I knew I was going on one heck of an emotional journey! Whatever you are reading, put it down, and run and get this book! If you’ve never read a Robyn Carr novel (and you know who you are) this would be a perfect one to hook you!
I love Robyn Carr. Could not wait to read this book.  This book started off slow but as it went on I really started to love it.  Once again Robyn has not disappointed.   Another great read!!
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

3.75 Hearts I really enjoy the writing of Robyn Carr. She has a way of writing that does what a book should do. Relax you and leave you with a lightened heart.

I found myself really liking Lauren. She has dealt with a lot and has been through things that no woman should and has walked away and taken control of her life. But her husband wants his life with Lauren back and this is her story of survival and self love.

This a great beach read. There is some hard parts of the story but mostly this is a story of walking away with your head held high.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
I always enjoyed Robyn Carr's books but for some reason I could not get involved with this.  Something is missing from this story.  Tried reading it several times and just did not feel that it was something worth pursuing and in fact never finished it.
Pretty much any book that has Robyn Carr's name on the cover, I will read.  I love her emotional, warm and charming stories, and The View from Alameda Island was no exception.

The View from Alameda Island features Lauren Delaney who is in an incredibly unhappy marriage.  Her husband is controlling, and abusive, and her self worth is at an all time low after years of manipulation, coersion, belitteling and demeaning commentary.  I found myself completely sympathising with her plight, but also pleased that she recognised her own choices impacted her life.

Whilst I expected this novel to be a second chance romance, it's much more.  It follows Lauren's journey from being in an unhappy marriage, to finding independence, friendship, and finally love and happiness in the arms of another.

The View from Alameda Island may have triggers for some readers.  In my opinion it deals quite senstitively and honestly with the topics of physcological, emotional and physical abuse in a relationship.

This title is hones, raw, and charming with a few unexpected twists and turns that kept me compltely enthralled from start to finish.

I will be eagerly awating Ms Carr's next release!
This is a book that I could not put down. A powerful story of two lost souls, both going through divorces that have formed a friendship that develops into so much more. An accidental meeting, but they each find  strength through each other.

My heart just broke for Lauren, the emotional abuse that she took for so many years because she wanted her daughters not to suffer from a broken marriage. Everything was picture perfect on the outside but you don't realize what goes on behind the closed doors.

Loved Beau, a strong man willing to raise his step sons on his own. He too tried to make his marriage work for his sons but finally decided enough was enough.

This book is so powerful, and it can be anyone in our lives!  I highly recommend.
I always refer to Robyn Carr books as great summer reads. They're fun whether you're at the beach, lounging in the pool, or soaking in the tub. They have the sort of drama, romance, and just a little bit of ridiculousness you'd expect from a Harlequin. Not the type of book I want to read regularly, but something I enjoy on occasion.

This book follows the story of Lauren Delaney as she makes the decision to leave her older, controlling husband on their 24th wedding anniversary. She then connects with a man in a similar situation and the book follows along as they get to know one another and navigate through some tough situations.

I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more Robyn Carr from my pool float this summer.

*ARC provided via NetGalley
Lauren Delaney makes a monumental decision. It is her twenty-fourth wedding anniversary, and instead of heading to a restaurant or some other celebratory destination, she heads to a divorce attorney. Lauren has decided to divorce her husband Brad. Her marriage was never ideal. Far from it. Brad was verbally and emotionally abusive, yet she stayed with him, Lauren had wanted to leave Brad for years. However, they have two daughters, Lacey and Cassie, and Brad always made her worried about custody

Lauren finds a new apartment, even meets a new neighbor, Beau. However, one day Brad shows up because he wants his ideal life back. Lauren was his everything. Brad didn't even know where the dry cleaners is located, for example! Well, when he gets to Lauren's apartment, the actions he take are totally shocking. Poor Lauren! Well, that's what I thought. Despite what happened that day, Lauren showed incredible strength and battled through experiences worse than she ever experienced during her marriage.

The View from Alameda Island was often a tough read. I was with Lauren every step of the way as she struggled through the changes her life took. I cried more than once, especially when dealing with one of her daughters. The girls had opposite reactions when they learned of Lauren's appeal for divorce. That part of the story was very difficult to read. With the changing circumstances that hit Lauren, her one daughter's reaction was even more frustrating and painful.

Meanwhile, Lauren's new friend, Beau, is also going through a divorce, and makes no secret that he is very drawn to Lauren. Even more so, he is very protective of her. However, Lauren has to guard her heart, lest she end up in another very bad situation. In addition to Lacey, Cassie and Beau, readers got the pleasure of the character, Tim, a priest and Beau's lifelong friend. Tim's counsel and experiences were an excellent addition to a very well-written and engaging story.

I was absorbed in this book from start to finish. Lauren went through so much, yet managed to come out on top. It was so beautifully done. I am sure that many, many women will be able to relate to this story on more than one level. Kudos to Robyn Carr for writing an incredibly compelling read. This is definitely one of my favorite reads this year thus far.

Many thanks to Mira and to NetGalley for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion.
The View from Alameda Island was quite a good read. It's Robyn Carr doing what she does best, tackling tough issues and having her characters fight through to find their HEA.

I sometimes wonder where she finds new ideas after having written so many books, but she still comes up with interesting plots, relatable characters (and some you really do not like at all) and beautifully written descriptions of people and places.

As long as she keeps writing this way, I'm sure I'll continue to be a fan.

Thank you to the publisher, author and Netgalley for approving my request for an ARC. Thoughts in this review are my own.
Classics Robyn Carr. She’s brilliant. We all know it. We all love her. So let’s just say what it is and move on. Enjoy this one!
I loved 90% of this book - centering on Luaren, the verbally and emotionally abused wife of Brad.  Carr had me hooked when Lauren planned how to leave ... and I enjoyed almost every chapter from there until the end.  Carr did a great job developing the ancillary characters - Lauren’s coworkers, her boss later in the story, her new friends... and the friends of her new friends.  I especially loved the unexpected secondary romance developing slowly but surely throughout.  What I didn’t like - dropped this book to 3 stars - was a particular love scene that lasted about 4 pages and was contrived as all get out.  I didn’t like it as part of the plot for the characters involved, and I didn’t like how the scene was described.  Besides that, excellent story.  Just skip those pages and you’ll be good to go.
NetGalley provided an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
Meh. I desperately wanted to like this book, even just because of the cover. But alas, NO. The nicest thing I can say about it is that I think I’ve simply outgrown this insipid and overly-explained /exhaustively-described type of romance/women’s fiction. I probably wouldn’t have finished it but I was so sick while reading it that getting up to grab another book wasn’t an option. The cover is strong, though.