Murder, She Meowed

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Feb 2019

Murder, She Meowed is book seven in this series and the first I have read in the series. It is a cute mystery,well written, and great characters.
This is book 7 in the Pawsitively Organic Mystery series and Frog Ledge, CT is busilly getting ready for Stan and Jakes wedding.  Bit somehow she has lost control of their simple vows and party after at Jake"s bar.  Her Mother and sister think they know best.  When Kristan finds a dead body in the cake at her bridal shower the It throws a clinker into the wedding plans.  With just 3 weeks till the big day she has to get the wedding back under control and solve the murder so the wedding party can attend.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I know that I’ve said it before, but here it is again, I love finding a new cozy mystery series. So, here I am with Murder She Meowed which is book #7 in the Pawsitively Organic Mystery series by Liz Mugavero. I was not disappointed.

Let me preface this review by stating that this was my first introduction to this particular set of stories; I had not realized that it was a part of a series when I saw it on NetGalley. However, apart from a few references made about earlier books, I did not feel too lost by this fact. I believe that there was enough of an introduction in book seven for me to get a decent handle of Frog Ledge’s residents and their relationships with each other.

In terms of the plot, I enjoyed that this book was full of twists with a solid mystery solve and plenty of possible suspects. I had my suspicions as to the killer's identity early on, but that changed multiple times over the course of the novel.

As for the characters, I enjoyed each and every one of Frog Ledge’s residents and was delighted a how well developed they were in the one book that I read. I have to admit that I wanted to pull Jake from the pages of the book so that I could have him; he sounded like a lovely bloke.

My only complaint about this novel is that I did find Brenna slightly annoying with her petty frustration with Jessie regarding the questioning of Andrea. I mean, it should go without saying that the police would have to question the girlfriend of the deceased ...

Overall, I really enjoyed Murder She Meowed; it was delightful to curl into bed at night and read about Stan’s adventures. I can’t wait to go back and read this series from the start.
Wedding preparations can be murder - but in this case it is literally true as the body of the young man scheduled to dance at Stan’s bachelorette party is discovered within the fake cake.  Between trying to prevent her mother from taking over her wedding, running her pet patisserie, and helping Jessie solve the crime, Stan has her hands full. But unless the murder is quickly solved she won’t rest easy - particularly when a stalker starts targeting her and her business.

Liz Mugavero’s pawsitively organic mysteries are a treat for animal lovers as well as mystery lovers.  I enjoyed Murder She Meowed immensely, especially the interactions between Stan and her family and friends.  Frog Ledge is a believably close knit community, and all of the characters readers have come to know are present without situations feeling forced. The mystery itself is well crafted, and has many surprises in store for readers.  I definitely recommend Murder She Meowed to anyone who enjoys cozy mysteries.

5 / 5

I received a copy of Murder She Meowed from the publisher and Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

— Crittermom
MURDER, SHE MEOWED is the seventh book in Liz Mugavero's Pawsitively Organic cozy mystery series. The backdrop to this mystery is Kristan "Stan" Connor's upcoming wedding and the battle with her well-intentioned yet overbearing family over wedding stuff. One of the mini battles is with her sister over the bachelorette party. Stan's sister is determined to get her the traditional stripper- infused party, while Stan couldn't care less. It's particularly unfortunate when the stripper in question is discovered murdered at the party. Liz Mugavero tells a story that perfectly captures the fun smalltown dynamic - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Nikki, Stan's visiting friend, provides a great sounding board and source of comfort and support as Stan deals with family nonsense while trying to unmask a killer. There is a great degree of danger throughout this story, but Liz Mugavero relieves the tension with friends and cute pets.

Perry Puck is a friendly young man with no enemies that he knows of. It comes as a surprise to Stan that he was supposed to be a stripper at her unwanted bachelorette party and that he was murdered. Stan comes to find out that many people may have had a reason to harm him for reasons beyond his control - his inheritance or his natural good looks. Either way, it amounts to jealousy as a likely motive for murder. Liz Mugavero does a good job of balancing the suspense and thrills with the fun elements typical of a good cozy mystery. I also like how Stan speaks up on behalf of the victim and the unfairness of his death, as well as the way the community comes together to help her in her investigation and with her wedding.

MURDER, SHE MEOWED is a tangled tale of family chaos mixed with murder most foul. Stan is one of my favorite female amateur sleuths because she's realistically flawed yet entertaining to read about. Family is a huge theme in this mystery - for most of the main characters. Trying to decipher family dynamics in order to get to the truth is frustrating for Stan at times, but she perseveres. The murder victim's family also serves as an interesting contrast to Stan's own family. I look forward to reading Liz Mugavero's next mystery.
Murder, She Meowed by Liz Mugavero has readers journeying to Frog Ledge, Connecticut.  Kristina “Stan” Connor is getting married to pub owner, Jake McGee in three weeks.  The couple have spent the winter planning their wedding which will be at McSwigg’s (Jake’s pub) followed by a reception.  The pub holds a special place in their hearts, and they want to celebrate the day with their close family, friends and pets.  Unfortunately, Patricia, Stan’s mother, has her own ideas for the wedding and makes plans without consulting Stan.  Stan’s sister, Caitlyn is insisting on giving her a bachelorette party and a reluctant Stan attends.  At the bachelorette party the excitement ramps up when a giant cake is wheeled in and, instead of a half-naked man jumping out of the cake, they see blood seeping from the bottom of the cake.  Inside they find Perry Puck dead from a knife wound with one of Stan’s kitchen knives inside with him.  Perry is one of the farmhands at Spring Hill Farm and has been moonlighting as a stripper.  Sgt. Jessie Pasquale, Stan’s soon to be sister-in-law and an unenthusiastic guest at the party, quickly takes charge of the crime scene.  Stan would like the murder solved before her wedding day and begins asking questions around town.  Stan soon finds a threatening note on her car and then the individual gets into Pawsitively Organic, Stan’s pet patisserie, to leave another one.  As if Stan does not have enough on her plate, her mother has hired a wedding planner to “reshape” her wedding.  She needs to stand up to her mother or the town will soon have another murder on its hands with Stan taking her marriage vows in an orange jumpsuit.  Can Stan pinpoint Perry’s killer before her big day?  Will Stan and Jake get the wedding they planned, or will Patricia get her way?

Murder, She Meowed is seventh book in A Pawsitively Organic Mystery series.  If you have not read any of the previous books in the series, you will not be lost.  The author provides the necessary background information for new readers.  I like the town of Frog Ledge, Connecticut with its quirky residents and unique shops.  Stan has cultivated a wonderful group of friends who have become family to her, and she wants to celebrate her special day with them.  Stan is a woman of simple tastes and she does not want an extravagant wedding.  Unfortunately, Stan’s mother, Patricia refuses to listen and steamrolls right over Stan’s objections.  I did not understand why Jake was not more supportive of Stan.  When the wedding planner shows up, Jake ducks out (the chicken).  Stan is lucky to have her good friend, Nikki Manning in town.  I found Murder, She Meowed to be entertaining and easy to read.  I love the adorable cats and dogs featured in the story.  Nutty, the Maine Coon cat, is my favorite.  I did not like Patricia and Caitlyn ignoring Stan’s wishes.  I found it frustrating, aggravating, annoying and many other words ending in “ing”.  It is supposed to be humorous, but, as you can tell, I was not laughing.  The mystery had several suspects and misdirection to distract readers from the real culprit.  The author upped her game with this whodunit (thank you).  The ending of Murder, She Meowed is extremely satisfying.  I enjoyed my latest visit to Frog Ledge, and I was smiling when I finished this engaging tale.  I am giving Murder, She Meowed 4 out of 5 stars.  There are pet food recipes at the end.  Murder, She Meowed is a delightful cozy mystery with its friendly residents, delectable delights at Izzy’s, adorable fur babies, a wedding and a dead man in red satin undies.
Murder She Meowed
Pawsitively Organic Mysteries, Book #7
Liz Mugavero
5+ Stars

Synopsis:

Kristan "Stan" Connor loves concocting tasty organic treats for dogs and cats--and she also loves her fiance, pub owner Jake McGee. But she's not so enthusiastic about finding a dead body at her own bachelorette party . . .

Stan and Jake's wedding will soon take place on the town green in Frog Ledge, Connecticut, followed by a reception at their beloved Irish pub filled with friends, family, and their four favorite canine companions. Stan just has to endure the traditional girls' night out first. Male strippers jumping out of gigantic cakes aren't her preferred entertainment. But the hired hottie never gets around to taking it all off . . . because someone takes him out first with one of Stan's kitchen knives. A heartbroken Stan recognizes the victim as one of the delivery men from the local farm--who must have been moonlighting for some extra cash. Now the guest list has turned into a suspect list--and Stan's making a vow to find the killer . . .

Includes Gourmet Pet Food Recipes!

Praise for Purring Around the Christmas Tree

"For fans of pet-themed mysteries, Mugavero pens a purrfect New England Christmas cozy, which also includes gourmet pet treat recipes."  (Goodreads)

Reviews:

The characters are well developed, well rounded and three dimensional.  I enjoy any time that I get to spend with Stan and her family and friends.  You never know what Stan and her cohorts are going to do, it is always an adventure.  Stan is still having trouble with her mother.  Now she is trying to take over her wedding, changing all the plans that Stan and Jake have made.  Will they come to an agreement or will the happy couple elope?

The writing style flows smoothly and it defined the characters very clearly by their actions and words.   The author is very talented in her descriptive writing and through much of the book, I felt like I was right there, visiting Frog Ledge, Connecticut, and enjoying my visit.  I felt like I was visiting  Pawsitively Organic Pet Patisserie, seeing all the pet treats and food that she makes.

The mystery was well plotted and fast paced and it was not easily solved.  The suspense and tension kept growing as I swiped the pages, and although I wanted to see what would happen next, I was afraid to find out.

I would recommend this book, and series, to anyone who enjoys a well crafted cozy mystery.  Sometimes a book just clicks with the reader, and that is what happened to me.  I have read the whole series and they just keep getting better.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, Kensington Books, and NetGalley, which I greatly appreciate.
I have been a longtime fan of this series, but this book is the prime example of why this series is so good. Liz is an amazing author who crafts a story from a blend of all of the perfect ingredients: lovable characters, well-written story line, a mystery full of twists and turns. Liz will keep you coming back with her amazing stories! I loved the interactions in this book - and I was so happy that there was so much Jake & Stan, and that they finally got their happily every after! And last, but not least, the recipes, I love the recipes - I can guarantee you will love them too, you and your fur babies.
It is almost time for Kristan and Jake's wedding, which means time for those fun traditions such as bachelor parties and a last Ladies Night with the bride to be. With the groom owning a pub and the bride running a bakery, you know the food has to be fantastic, right? Of course you also know that not everyone dreams of the same sort of wedding, and mothers do like to live out their fantasies when wedding planning. This always leads to complications. However no one could predict what they find in the stripper cake!
Stan, not being the sort to keep her nose out of a mystery, or anything she finds interesting, seems to be a magnet for trouble. We get to see more about her relationships with people, not just husband to be, Jake.
This time the murder victim is not the most hated person in town, as in some cozies. Still there are several suspects and motives to keep you guessing.
And of course, wonderful recipes to share with your favorite furry friend as you read this book together!
Disclosure: I received a digital copy from the author through Netgalley for review. The opinions expressed here are 100% my own and may differ from others.

Brief Summary:
"Stan" is from a small town owner of a pet bakery. She is marrying her Irish fiance who own a local Irish pub. The couple do not want a large wedding. Her meddling mother, sister, and practically the whole town, have other ideas and want to change everything right down to the dress she wears. Her sister wants to throw a bridal shower which will be a "surprise" location. It just happens to be at her bakery. That is where the story and murder really begin.

My review:
This is a 7th book in a series which I mostly enjoyed. I was glad to know that I could read it and not have any carry over characters to catch up with. It did take me longer than I thought it would to read.

The wedding story and the actual murder story could almost have been two separate stories in and of themselves. I felt the author almost ran away too much with the wedding part and not the murder part. I felt she also had troubles keeping track of her characters.  I also felt it took too long to get to the actual murderer who was only briefly mentioned nearer to the end of the book.

Having said all that though, I loved the character "Stan". She is an independent woman who I could actually relate too. She has strong opinions of what she truly wants but tries to be a people pleaser too. Her relationship with her Mother is often teen-ager like (which is mentioned) and it causes her heartache to the point she wants to run from it all. To make matters worse is her soon to be sister-in-law is also the local sheriff. I would like to have known more about her relationship with her pub-owning brother.

I found her pet bakery to be a great idea and I almost wished it had been described even more. I saw it to be cozy and place where everyone wants to hang out. Stan and her soon-to-be co-business partner are likeable and people this reader would just want to hang out with.  The back of the book included some real pet recipes which I thought was a nice touch and one of the reasons I wanted to read and review the book.

I found it funny that she was able to do so much investigating on her own. Although her sister-in-law often told her to butt out, she plain didn't. She got away with a ton in my mind but her stubborn persistence paid off for what seemed like a somewhat inept sheriff.

The twist in the book were okay including the (spoiler alert) stalker but even that was surprising and took a long time to get to for such a minor character.

I would have also liked to have know even more about the character that was murdered. He was likable and complex. Again, it took near the end of the book to really get to know him. When I did, I wished he had not been killed off. Suggestion to author: write a prequel about him, I would read it!

Again, overall, I liked the book and the recipes, but would like those minor characters to be beefed up more.  For these reasons I give the book a 3 star review.

~Michelle aka Naila Moon
"Murder She Meowed" is  the seventh book in the fabulous Pawsitively Organic Mystery series by Liz Mugavero. This is a much beloved series among cozy fans and I am always thrilled to read the next releases. I recommend the entire series. This series is charming, full of antics of lovely animals and has likable fun charcters,  This book can be read as a stand alone.

In this next in series protagonist, Stan (Kristan) Conner is preparing for her wedding. Stan is having typical bride stress because her mother has taken over the wedding.  When a highly unusual murder occurs at her bachelorette party  Stan sets aside her wedding plans to investigate much to the chagrin of her intended and her Mother. as well as her new sister in law a detective who does not like her meddling in murder investigations.  Stan forges on and soon is knee deep in suspects as well as clues. .

The mystery itself was fun as well as interesting and kept my attention to conclusion with many clues and suspects. This is a  endearing series for readers and one I enjoy from cover to cover. I hope the series will continues in the future. Thank you to Kensington Publishing and to Net Galley for the ARC. My opinion is my own.,.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  I have enjoyed this series from the very first book.  I have felt invested in the character and story line development so I almost feel like a member of the wedding now that Stan and Jake are about to get married.  They have a definite idea of what they want but Stan’s mother has other ideas.  Fans of previous books know her mother can be pretty obtuse when it comes to the feelings or opinions of others.  This is no exception.  She seems determined to steamroller Stan at every turn.
So when the stripper at Stan’s bachelorette party is stabbed it throws an even bigger pall over the festivities.  There are plenty of suspects to go around and one of them is now stalking Stan.  She truly doesn’t need any more crazy in her life.  It all starts to become too much- way too much.
Thankfully Stan has lots of stalwart friends and Jake.  Even her pets, especially her Maine Coon Nutty, come to her rescue.  In fact, Nutty plays an unexpected but pivotal role in Stan getting what she wants.  It’s a good solid mystery with plenty of red herrings before the killer is unmasked in a most unusual way.
Five purrs and two paws up.
I love this series and was so happy to be able to review this book. I've been reading about Stan, Jake, and the rest of the gang since the beginning. Finally, in this book, we come to the wedding of Jake and Stan - whoo hoo! Unfortunately, murder overshadows the planning process, as does Stan's mother, Patricia, with all of her over-the-top wedding plans. We are finally introduced to Stan's best friend, Nikki in the flesh and even Jessie seems to have softened up to Stan and her "meddling" ways.

This was a quick, fun read and very well written. 4.5 stars

I voluntarily review this book on NetGalley. #netgalley #lizmugavero #murdershemeowed
Murder, She Meowed by Liz Mugavero is the 7th book in the Pawsitively Organic series. Even though, this was the first in the series I have read, I was able to get up to date quickly.
When the stripper at Stan's bachelorette party turns up stabbed in her shop, Stan is in the middle of the investigation, all while trying to finalize her wedding plans and keep her mother happy.
The characters are likeable, as is the setting. I love the fur baby characters. Of course, since there is a wedding, you have romance and some humor. You also have a couple of tips, first, make sure your wedding dress is kept in a safe place and second, when you have special chocolate, don't wait to enjoy it!  There are plenty of suspects to keep you guessing until the end.
There are recipes for your furbaby included.
I was given an ARC by Netgalley and Kensington Books for an honest review.
In the first half of this book, there's a whole lot of words to describe a whole lot of things that has nothing to do with the solving of a crime. It's well written, so if you are into reading cozy, daily and boring stuff it's OK. Around halfway it gets better, with clues coming all the time, so hang in there.
I love these folks!!  I know you have to be careful of boundary’s sometimes, but these folks just go so well together.  Family isn’t always the easiest people to get along with, especially when you’re upset with them.    Another thing I love about this series is the way folks treat their animals.  How much fun would it be to take your pet to a store where you can get treats made especially for them.  Oh, and let’s not forget how folks finally come together in planning the wedding the whole town is excited to attend.  I’ve always liked small weddings, but I really wasn’t sure how this wedding was going to end up.  I love the life in Frog Ledge and can’t wait to go back there with some of my favorite book friends.  I received this book from NetGalley, but my opinion is my own.
Kristan “Stan” Connor's life is always hoping. As the owner of the pet patisserie, Pawsitively Organic, Stan is doing something she loves...baking treats for cats and dogs. Now that it's time to marry her fiancé, pub owner Jake McGee, she's not in love with the traditions that come along with a wedding, mainly a bachelorette party.

This party features a dead body, a hired stripper ready to entertain the crowd. But before he can, someone kills him with one of Stan’s kitchen knives. When the guest list turns into a suspect list for a party she never wanted to happen, Stan knows she has to find a killer.

This is the first book in the series that I've read, and I have to admit I chose it because I love Liz Mugavero's other series that she writes as Cate Conte.

This book did not disappoint. Full of vibrant characters and a plot that is a page-turner, it keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. I loved meeting Stan and Jake, and it's a great thought that I have six books before this one that I can go back and read now that I've discovered this series.

There is romance in this book, but it's not overpowering. And there are pets...lots of cats and dogs that made me smile as they made their appearances. I am definitely looking forward to the previous books in this series, and seeing where it goes after Murder, She Meowed.

I read a digital ARC of this book provided by the publisher through NetGalley.
I love a cozy mystery with animals in it.  It was great to return back to this series.  I have read this series out of order, and wasn't lost at all.  I loved seeing Stan and Jake plan their wedding.  It has been great seeing their relationship evolve.  I love a romance thrown into the cozy mysteries that I read.
In the seventh book of this Pawsitively Organic series, Stan is planning her wedding to Jake. Her sister insists that she has a bachelorette party and hires a stripper to jump out a cake. The party is set in Stan's new pet shop. When the cake is open the striper is found with a knife in his back. The shop becomes a crime scene and the Opening Festivities are delayed. Stan and Make want a small wedding in his Pub while their Mothers wanted to plan a church wedding. The book takes many turns before the wedding. Which wedding prevailed? Stan was needs answers who MURDER the stripER
We before there more deaths. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND SERIES
Recipes for tasty treats for furbabies recipes are included.

Disclosure: Many thanks to NetGalley and Kensington Books for a review copy. The opinions expressed are my own
Murder Before Marriage
This cozy mystery is about a murder in the midst of wedding preparations. The setting is great. The plot has many twists and an abundance of potential culprits. The back story of family issues, wedding preparations, and businesses to run is also appealing. All of the characters are like people you know and very believable. The author is careful to give the new reader a bit of history without boring the familiar reader in an unobtrusive manner – nicely done! I am new to this series and feel the need to catch up! I received this ARC book at no cost and this is my honest review.