The Gun Also Rises

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Feb 2019

This book had me hooked from the first few pages.  (Any book that is about books is a winner to me.)

I love 'watching' Sarah as she works to organize items for her clients.   I thought that the story-line for this book was quite interesting.  A lot of intrigue in this mystery and one that didn't necessary wrap everything up in a pretty package.  The book was well-written and very enjoyable to read.  I'm looking forward to the next one in the series.
Very wealthy Belle has hired Sarah to sell thousands of books to raise money for charity.  These books are not the beautiful 1st additions in the downstairs library but mysteries and children's books like Nancy Drew and the Bobbsy twins.  When Sarah finds a suitcase full of Ernest Hemingway short stories that was stolen many years ago.  Belle has no idea how they got there but now a maid is dead, Belle is assaulted and Sarah is being targeted for investigating the missing suitcase.  This is book 6 in the Sarah Winston Garage Sale series and it's a good addition. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Sarah Winston is sorting through a client's extensive collection of mystery books, hoping she might stumble across some 1930s Nancy Drews, when she opens a suitcase and finds an unpublished manuscript by Ernest Hemingway.  Just a few minutes after she shows it to her client, the suitcase has been stolen, the thief has been murdered, and Sarah is shot at.

Things only get more overwhelming when the media and a group who call themselves The Literary Treasure Hunters show up, all wanting to talk to Sarah.

This one is really good. I'm not a particular fan of Hemingway, but that didn't keep me from loving the book. The mystery twists and turns as Sarah finds herself hiding out from reporters and tweed wearing treasure hunters and I read it almost straight through. Sarah is organizing the mystery books for a sale and coordinating a fund raiser to reunite a veteran with the dog he bonded with while deployed, but there are two brief scenes that almost felt like they were tacked in there to remind the reader that the book is a Garage Sale Mystery. It was the garage sale element that made me pick up the first book, but at this point I'd keep reading just to spend time with Sarah and her friends.
I have been wanting to try this series for awhile now so I used the release of this newest installment to give it a shot and I was not disappointed. Sarah has been hired by a wealthy woman to go through her massive mystery book collection with the intent to sell them all as she is getting older with no kids or anything to pass things to. As if this treasure trove of literary goodness is not enough Sarah manages to fins hidden manuscripts written by someone famous that are pretty quickly stolen leading to a murder. Thanks  to her past involvement in mysteries she find herself looking into things until she ultimately ends up in danger. This book is wonderfully written and just full of fascinating tidbits that any adamant reader will love. The mystery keeps you guessing while Sarah comes to life in vivid details. Perfect for fans of cozies. I really liked it so I give it 4/5 stars.
Boy, I really loved the setting Sarah Winston finds herself in--an attic filled with mystery books that Belle Winthrop Granville has collected over the years. This is one of my favorites so far in the series, they just keep getting better and better. The fact that the proceeds of the sale will go to the library is fantastic, but Sarah stumbles across a small valise with what looks like papers from Ernest Hemingway. The story of the lost train case back in the 20's helped frame the caper and murder Sarah finds herself involved in this time. Sarah, now divorced, is still active with the nearby base and is also helping with a fundraiser to bring a serviceman's dog home to him. Just when you think there is too much going on, there isn't at all. It read quickly and smoothly to an intriguing end, lots of red herrings worthy of the attic mystery books.
The Gun Also Rises is a literary treasure in the cozy mystery genre.  It is a rare combination of excellent writing, engaging and individualized characters, and a top-notch mystery.  The pun in the title is clever, especially since the book involves tracking down a rare edition of Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises.

Sarah Winston has been commissioned by Mrs. Belle Winthrop Granville, III to inventory a collection of old (possibly rare) books and select some to contribute to a sale to benefit the local library.  In among the copies of Agatha Christie, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden mysteries, Sarah discovers what appears to be original manuscripts of Hemingway’s short stories which had been missing for almost 100 years. Before they can be authenticated, the manuscripts are stolen, the presumed thief murdered, and Sarah’s own life is in jeopardy.  Throw in the rumor that a rare edition of The Sun Also Rises is somewhere in Miss Belle’s mansion, and it’s a race against time.  Sarah has to outwit a rare book dealer, would-be thieves, local mobsters and the self-proclaimed League of Literary Treasure Hunters to recover the manuscripts and uncover the copy of The Sun Also Rises.

The Gun Also Rises is a multifaceted novel, blending literary history with a well-crafted mystery.  There are also several subplots involving Sarah’s growing independence from her ex-husband, the travails of a military spouse, Sarah’s desire to help a veteran suffering from PTSD bring his dog back from Afghanistan, and the problems inherent in the use of social media.

All in all, The Gun Also Rises is one of the best cozy mysteries I have read lately.  The writing is sharp and witty, with an edge of humor, and the mystery remains suspenseful throughout, with more twists and turns that the average cozy.  Although The Gun Also Rises is the sixth installment in the Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mysteries, it is the first book I have read in this series.  Based on its overall excellence, it definitely will not be the last.

Note: I received an ARC of The Gun Also Rises from NetGalley and Kensington Books. The above is my honest review.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  I am fond of Sarah Winston.  Even though she doesn’t have a kitty sidekick, I enjoy going on her adventures with her.  She is a feisty capable lady who has built a good life after the divorce from her long time husband and is now trying to put it back together again after he re-enters her life only to set it spinning again.  She can be a little impetuous but she is never dumb.
She is hired by a very wealthy lady to help sort through her book collection that she hopes to sell and donate the proceeds to good works.  She is delighted to find the treasure trove of literary wonders but did not expect to find a real treasure: a stolen manuscript of Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises from several years before it was published.  When she informs her employer, all sorts of chaos breaks out including the theft of the suitcase holding the manuscript by the housekeeper, then her subsequent death in the woods while making her escape and the theft- again= of the suitcase.  Plus there is a signed first edition of the book in the house somewhere and Sarah and her employer are not the only ones trying to find it.  Clearly someone is willing to kill for the book.
Sarah ends up being chased hither and thither, never knowing quite whom to trust.  Luckily she has her friendly neighbourhood cops on speed dial and the dishy DA too.  Oh, she also has a local mob boss on speed dial.  She lives an interesting life.
I was guessing along with Sarah right to the end and the Machiavelli of the scheme was unexpected.  It was a fast paced, interesting and satisfying read
Five purrs and two paws up.
Sarah Winston, ex-military wife and garage sale expert, has agreed to handle a book sale for Belle Winthrop to benefit the local library. While culling through Belle's vast collection of mysteries, Sarah finds a valise with what appears to be Hemingway's missing manuscript. Of course, it quickly goes missing again, only this time a murder takes place. Sarah is a talented amateur sleigh who surrounds herself with many interesting characters. Consistently well-written, this series just keeps getting better. Highly recommended!
Cozy Garage Sale Mystery in Massachusetts
This is the first of this series that I have read. I know that I will binge read this entire series soon. There is nothing to complain about here and everything to love! I made a living from estate sales for many years so this is very familiar to me. The setting for the story is just aces. The plot is exceptional and contains some fun twists. I received this book for free and this is my honest review.
The Gun Also Rises is such a good mystery.  A well written plot and a good main character.  This is the first Garage Sale mystery that I have read but I definitely will be reading more.  I received an arc from Netgalley and this is my unbiased review.
*I Received A Free Copy For an Honest Review*

The Gun Also RIses is probably my favorite book written by Sherry Harris.  The characters are well written and the story line is one that i enjoy. This is a cozy mystery that is a page turner as you try to figure out who dun it.

I highly recommend A Sarah W. Garage Sale Mystery for lovers of cozy mysteries.
I started this series in the middle at book 3 or 4 and found that it's easy to jump right in. This is the 6th book and like in the other books Sarah is helping to organize a garage/estate sale, this time involving tons of mystery novels in an elderly woman's collection. After Sarah stumbles upon some old manuscripts that appear to be written by Ernest Hemingway strange things start happening, including a murder. Sherry Harris adds a little character development for Sarah to each book and there are some interesting secondary characters as well. Overall, I enjoyed this one and will look forward to others in this series. .
The Gun Also Rises

by Sherry Harris

Another fun cozy mystery is now available in the Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery Series. I always like Sherry Harris’ books better than I like garage sales, which are just a vehicle for her delivery of a great story. The Gun Also Rises will particularly appeal to book lovers. Sarah Winston’s presence is requested by wealthy Mrs. Belle Winthrop Granville, III who asks her prepare a huge collection of mystery paperbacks for sale with the proceeds to benefit the local library. In the same house is a huge collection of old and rare books.

Sarah discovers a suitcase containing what appears to be manuscripts by Hemingway, and she finds herself thrust into a real mystery with murderers, thieves, impostors, literary treasure hunters, mobsters, law enforcement, and reporters. There are a dizzying number of possibilities and suspects that Sarah must negotiate to try to keep herself alive. As she tries to find the missing manuscript, she must also dodge reporters and the bad guys, but first she has to figure out just who they are. She also needs to coordinate a fund-raiser on the town common to raise money to bring back from Afghanistan the street dog adopted by Eric, a sergeant injured by a suicide bomber and now suffering from PTSD. In addition, she needs to complete her work for Miss Belle.

Despite many personal interruptions in my reading of this book, I enjoyed it very much. There are some relationship issues surrounding Sarah with her brother Luke and her D.A. friend Seth, but the mystery is certainly the focus. The story takes you down many pathways with various suspects and motives. The question of whodunit was complex, intriguing, and surprising. This is a great read for cozy mystery lovers.

I would like to extend my thanks to netgalley.com and to Kensington Books for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Rating: 5/5

Category: Mystery

Notes: #6 in the Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery Series, but works as a standalone.

Publication:   January 29, 2019—Kensington Books

Memorable Lines:

Weariness crept over me like an incoming sea fog.

Part of the problem with our relationship had been blurred lines. Even though we’d divorced, the lines between our old life and our new one kept blurring, like watercolors that spread across thick paper.

The war was behind them, the stock market crash ahead, and the next world war off in an unsuspecting future. No wonder the twenties were roaring for the rich.
The Gun Also Rises by Sherry Harris has us spending July in Ellington, Massachusetts.  Sarah Winston is hired by Mrs. Belle Winthrop Granville III to sort through her mystery collection for a garage sale with the proceeds to benefit the Ellington Free Library.  While digging through the large assortment of books that are stored in the attic, Sarah uncovers a traveling case filled with Ernest Hemingway manuscripts that disappeared from a train in Paris in 1922.  Sarah takes the case down to Miss Belle who is just as surprised as Sarah at the unexpected find and asks for time alone.  Soon Sarah hears Miss Belle cry out and Sarah rushes to her aid.  Miss Belle was assaulted by her maid who stole the case with the manuscripts.  Sarah rushes after Kay Kimble, the maid and finds her dead on a path in the woods from a bullet wound.  A shot rings out and Sarah ducks to avoid being hit.  Word gets out about the Hemingway papers and members of the League of Literary Treasure Hunters have descended on the town.  Then a masked gunman appears at Miss Belle’s demanding the limited edition of The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.  They thwart the masked bandit and start a search for the elusive novel.  Sarah must evade the literary treasure hunters while seeking clues that will lead her to Kay’s killer and the missing manuscripts.  To top it off, Sarah’s reporter brother returns to town and she is busy preparing for a sale to raise funds to help a veteran reunite with his dog from Iraq.  Can Sarah stay alive long enough to see another sunrise?

The Gun Also Rises is a busy novel.  Sarah has a full plate as she deals with missing manuscripts, her brother, a murder, preparing for a very special sale to help a veteran bring his dog to America, pricing Miss Belle’s mystery collection, evading the literary treasure hunters, hunting down the rare Hemingway book and trying not to be the killer’s next victim.  The Gun Also Rises can be read as a standalone if you have not read any of the previous A Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mysteries.  I find Sarah’s garage sale business interesting.  She never knows what treasures she will find.  I wanted to buy all the books in Miss Belle’s fictional attic.  I found The Gun Also Rises to be easy to read with steady pacing throughout most of the book (a little slow in the middle).  I loved all the mystery novels mentioned throughout the book (Trixie Belden and Agatha Christie are just two examples) as well as the details on Louisa May Alcott and historical sites that people can visit.  There are also some clever Gone with the Wind references.  The murder of Kay and the missing manuscripts leads readers on a merry chase as we follow the clues to figure out who is behind these appalling deeds.  I do wish it had been harder to identify the guilty parties, and I was unsatisfied with the ending (spoilers).   I was glad to see a move forward in Seth and Sarah’s romantic life.  Sarah’s ex-husband has left town (finally) and Sarah can finally move forward romantically with her life.   I appreciated the author highlighting the role of military spouses and the support they need when their significant other is serving overseas.  There is also a storyline about a veteran suffering from PTSD who is missing the dog he had in Iraq.  Sara is organizing a sale to help unite the man with his beloved canine.  Readers will find themselves laughing at Sarah’s various escapades.  Buckle your seatbelt for a humorous and fast paced romp with Sarah in The Gun Also Rises.
A garage sale mystery is definitely something new for me in the cozy genre and a storyline about books? Yes, please! Rare books; exceedingly rare books, one of which is by famous author--Ernest Hemingway. This book spelled fun from the beginning! I really enjoyed the author's writing style--just enough snark to keep it kicky but respectable.

Protagonist Sarah Winston is involved in a fundraiser to bring home a war dog that is vital to the mental health of a recently returned veteran suffering from PTSD. Also, Sarah is invited to set up, catalog, and sell a massive collection of books at widow Belle Winthrop Granville's mansion. There are real collector's items in the main library downstairs, including first edition, leather-bound rare and semi-rare books. While sifting through the "lesser" books in the attic which includes decades of paperbacks, Sarah discovers a case of original manuscripts by Hemingway. However, the case is immediately stolen and in chasing the thief Sarah is almost taken out by a wayward branch--another of which killed the maid who grabbed the case.

Rumors are flying about a limited, signed edition of The Sun Also Rises after Sarah finds a receipt for the missing book also secreted in the attic. That sets off a league of crazed treasure hunters, media frenzy, a big guy who insists on following her, and visits to one of the local mob bosses.

I'm liking Sarah. She really knows how to go about pursuing bargains! And Seth has piqued my interest. Ellington gives me peeks into Boston and secondary characters are engaging and meld a fine connection to the protagonist. I also appreciated the inside scoop on the role of military wives, particularly those with a ranked spouse. The well-plotted narrative moves at a good pace and keeps interest through to the conclusion. I'm hooked and looking forward to the next in this series!

I received this ebook download from the publisher and NetGalley and greatly appreciated the opportunity to read and review. Recommended for any looking for a unique perspective into cozy mysteries with a sassy, independent, and capable protagonist as well as the inside scoop on garage sales and our veterans. 4.5/5 stars
Absolutely my favorite in the series by far. I love the fast glowing words and the mystery always stumps me.
By far one of my favorite series.
Belle Winthrop Granville is a grande dame who is selling off her massive book collection. Her first editions and books in the library are being sold by a local dealer. Her paperbacks and popular fiction, she's asked garage sale whiz Sarah Winston to deal with. Too bad Sarah is once again having to dodge bullets. It might just have something to do with the bundle of papers that Sarah discovered that seem to be the papers Hemingway's first wife lost on a trip to Paris.
There is, as usual, a lot going on in this story. There is also a first edition Hemingway, a group of treasure hunters going after the same thing, a murder, rivalries, and an old army friend and his wife who are having some problems. It makes the book a bit disconnected in places but regular Harris readers won't be deterred.

Three stars
This book came out January 29
ARC kindly provided by publisher and NetGalley
I really enjoy the Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mysteries and I think I liked this one the most. There was a lot of action, information about families of Service Men/Women, family relationships, kleptomania, and of course a wonderful mystery.

You would never think that arranging garage sales and other charity sales events could lead to trouble, but if you have read any books in this series, you know that Sarah Winston finds herself in the middle of murder, mayhem and crime quite often. This book finds Sarah being hired by a rich widow, Belle Winthrop Granville III, to catalogue and price her hundreds of mystery novels to sell as a fundraiser for the local library. While in the attic, going through boxes, suitcases and valises, she glimpses several envelopes. When she peeks into them, she realizes she has come across the find of the century in the literary world, "The Missing Hemingway Manuscripts". Now this alone, piqued my interest. After reading "The Paris Wife" about Hadley Richardson, Hemingway's wife, I was aware that this was an actual event (the loss of the manuscripts). I was looking forward to seeing how Sherry Harris was going to handle this. Well, she did it well. Not only do the manuscripts go missing again, but there is also a search for a first edition "The Sun Also Rises". When Belle's maid, ends up dead and the manuscripts missing, Sarah becomes an overnight media sensation.

Sarah is one of my favourite main characters. Besides constantly stumbling over dead bodies in a small town, she is a very real character. Over the six books in this series, she has grown so much. She has had to make a new life for herself and has done a great job of that in Ellington, Massachusetts, with a career and wonderful friends. The secondary characters help round out the story as they play an important role in every story. I especially love the DiNapolis and their restaurant. From James, Carol, Pellner, Stella, Awesome, Tony and of course Seth, we are all privy to the lives of those in this community. The mystery in this book was well done with twists and turns throughout the plot. The identity of the killer and/or thief kept me guessing until the reveal. I was surprised by the culprits and thought the mystery was tied up nicely. There was a humorous element in the story with the League of Literary Treasure Hunters on the prowl, which had me smiling as I read. I am looking forward to what is next for Sarah Winston and her friends, and definitely recommend this book and series to all cozy mystery lovers. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book upon request. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
Dollycas’s Thoughts

History and mystery collide as Sherry Harris gives her spin on the missing papers of Ernest Hemingway lost in 1922. Garage Sale pro Sarah Winston is hired to help get Belle Winthrop Granville book collection ready for sale. As she is cataloging the vast collection she makes a shocking discovery. A case filled with what appears to be Hemingway’s lost manuscripts. Before the papers can be verified they are stolen and Granville’s maid is killed and shots are fired at Sarah.

The events lead to rumors that a rare edition of The Sun Also Rises is also hidden on the premises bringing the League of Literary Treasure Hunters, a rare book dealer, and the press to Ellington, Massachusetts. Sarah is forced out of her home and knows the only way for things to get back to normal is to find the killer before more bodies fall including hers.

This has become one of my favorite cozy mystery series. I love spending time with Sarah as she chases all around town for her garage sales and murder investigations. Her life has been in flux with her divorce, moving off the base, getting her business off the ground and trying to start life over as a single woman. He ex has now left the state so her personal life can move forward with Seth and that made me very happy.

In addition to her huge project for Belle Winthrop Granville and finding a thief and a killer, Sarah is organizing a fundraiser to help a soldier bring a dog he adopted in Afghanistan to the states. He has been suffering PTSD since his last deployment and his friends and family feel bringing this dog home may make things easier. The connection of Sarah to the Air Force Base and the awareness the author brings to military life and strife is a treasured part of all the books in this series. As a military wife herself her depictions are believable.

The characters Ms. Harris brings to life leap off the pages. She gives us people to root for along with the questionable suspects. Sarah and her friends are all engaging and relatable. They have a camaraderie that is refreshing. They always have her back.

I loved the way the author brought Hemingway history into the story. The League of Literary Treasure Hunters were an interesting crew that didn’t give up. They truly took over the town and made Sarah’s life miserable. I really felt bad for her. I loved her unstoppable energy though in her quest to find the papers and the killer. Her perseverance had no bounds.

Sarah Winston is a fantastic protagonist. This story is a wonderful addition to the series. I can’t wait for the next installment. Let’s Fake A Deal will be released July 30.
From Nancy Drew to Ernest Hemingway, this mystery will appeal to the book lovers among us.
Ranging from simple paperbacks to million dollar, or priceless, rare first editions, the estate of Belle Winthrop Granville and family has something for all tastes and budgets. Sarah Winston thinks she has been invited to discover and catalogue the collection of books for a charity auction. She begins to feel a bit out of her depth until she is informed that she needs only concern herself with the "lesser" books.
A rare book collector is in charge of the more pricey editions.
Before the first day of work is complete, Sarah discovers that some of her other special skills are called upon for this job.
With an abundance of literary references, much compassion and some life endangering action. Sarah finds herself in the middle of a present day mystery, a cold case mystery, and the very uncomfortable position of not knowing who she can trust. Is she sharing a house with a murderer or more?

Her friend Awesome is indeed awesome in this exciting novel. He also has his hands full as the mysteries and unsolved cases connect and the danger escalates.
The mansion in this novel was as good as the characters. From Sherry's descriptions, I wanted to explore every hallway and room.
Who has the case and what the papers inside mean kept me intrigued until the end. The bonus story about relationships, PTSD and more wonderfully rounded out this book.