The Temp

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Feb 2019

While I really enjoyed The Temp and thought it was an intriguing, fast read, the ending fell just a little bit flat for me. However, I loved the twist with Emma being the child that Carrie gave up as a teenager! Carrie's husband Adrian made me want to smack the hell out of him on every page, especially after the baby was born and he couldn't have cared less. The build up throughout the book was intense, especially between Carrie and Emma and between Emma and Adrian. And while I liked the conclusion, I still felt maybe there was a little something missing.
This book started a bit cringeworthy for me. Not because of the writing or story, but because it starts with a woman prepping for maternity leave. I myself had a baby recently, and while there is nothing but joy on the baby side, there are things that you don’t expect to happen on the life side which can cause confusing feelings. Carrie, the mother in this story, experiences confusion over leaving her work and personal life behind. Combined with the young temp who is doing very well in her place, causes her to rethink her original plan with her maternity leave.

What happens after this is a wild ride filled with twists that made me want to sneak away and read more and more.

I really enjoyed this book!

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
After reading 'The Girlfriend' I was really looking forward to reading this book, "The Temp."

It was a highly addictive and entertaining read from beginning to end. I thought the plot was so cleverly executed and I really enjoyed getting to know each of the characters and seeing how their stories developed throughout. I loved that the story was told from the two different viewpoints. There were plenty of twists and turns that were a complete surprise to me.

I am really taken with Michelle Frances' books and she is now a firm favourite of mine.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Kensington Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This book was soo good! I loved that I read it one sitting. This book is best to go blind. After reading the synopsis i was expecting 0ne book but what i got is so much better.
This book gives insight into the life of a successful tv producer.    This book tells the story of Carrie, who becomes unexpectedly pregnant, and her team to cover her whilst she is on maternity.  It tells the story of the suspicions between Emma and Carrie.

I found this to be a slow burner and it was far too long.  The story was stretched out over 450 pages and i lost interest.

But it has the makings of a great novel and i did enjoy it.
A good second novel! I'm getting to really become a fan of Michelle Frances. Her tense atmospheric writing style just keeps you wondering and wound up trying to figure out what's coming next I love when I feel like I'm on the edge rushing to finish a thriller to see the ending and her books have both checked all of those boxes. Full of questionable characters and slow tense building up The Temp had me breathless and intrigued!
I absolutely loved the fact that I could not predict what was happening in this book. THAT is when you know you have a good read! It's an easy read that I finished in one day, but I don't think lived up to Michelle's earlier book. Still really enjoyed this one!
At 40-something Carrie and her husband, Adrian, had written off children, instead embracing their dream careers as television producer and script writer, respectively. When Carrie becomes pregnant it seems like a sign and she embarks on the journey despite Adrian's hesitation. While not happy about leaving her role temporarily, Carrie is even more unhappy about the young women filling her shoes. Emma is smart and willing to do whatever it takes, but she also seems too willing to take up the seat right next to her husband too.

Adrian is a selfish, full of himself man, Emma is a peppy employee (and unreliable narrator), and Carrie is a typical new mom in the midst of both a mid-life crisis and a marriage that might have more secrets than truths. While the life Carrie and Adrian leads seems easy, like a problem like this couldn't come between them, it is Emma who reveals the cracks in their surface. We follow the three from the office to production sets and from house to house as Emma charms everyone, but leaves a sour taste in Carrie's mouth.

While Michelle Frances is a talented author and the television world seemed like a perfect change of pace for my usual thriller readers, The Temp just didn't have the wow factor I expected. I don't know how else to put this, but I was bored while reading this book. The characters didn't have many redeeming qualities and following them down a very predictable path grew tiresome. While the unique setting and character backgrounds were what drew me to the story, the thriller aspect felt so much like every other domestic drama out there right now. And honestly, the big twist was hinted at far too early on. While this may be a hit for others, it was a miss for me.
Good premise. I found this book to be needlessly longer than it should have been, the first twist was a good idea but the twist at the end was for me, a giant eye roll.
This was a gripping, absorbing read. I appreciated that there were no ludicrous twists at every turn to keep readers hooked but instead relied on a well-developed story with interchanging narrative viewpoints. It's a sharp take on the creative and entertainment industries and what it means to be a working mother or a young woman trying to make it in a rapacious work environment. The husband is a narcissist that's an all-familiar type in this hyper capitalist modern world, unfortunately.
The Temp is a pulsating page turning book that will leave you guessing until the end.
I really liked the characters and the plot premise.
The Temp is the story of television producer, Carrie, and Adrian, her writer husband.  An unexpected pregnancy catches them off guard and Carrie is determined to return to work as soon as her maternity leave has expired.  When a talented temp, Emma, is hired to fill in, Carrie’s plans change and she returns to work early.  To her dismay, the temp has already become a valuable part of the team.  The suspense builds slowly as Carrie begins to question Emma’s intentions – both towards her job as well as her husband.

The Temp was an enjoyable read, there are several unanticipated twists, and the story was steady and suspenseful.  The characters are varied and my attitude towards them changed as the story progressed.  However, the final twist seemed to be a little too abrupt and came out of nowhere.  It did resolve the issues nicely and made for a good ending.  Overall, I enjoyed The Temp and I would bump the rating up to 3.5 stars.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for review.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for this early copy!

I recommend this well-done thriller to those who love the genre. I took unexpected turns and was well written.
May contain spoilers!

Full disclosure, I did not like the first 80% of this book, like at all- but that's not the fault of the author. I'm just so, so sick of shitty powerful men who are desperate to stay powerful. They assault, they emotionally abuse and manipulate, and they pretend that they are the only ones allowed creativity and success (looking at you, Ryan Adams*)... and that it's somehow all a woman's fault that they're like this. The male mc could fit right in with all the predators being outed recently.

But. That ending. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that he gets his. As he should, and as they all should. The way it happened, though? SO SATISFYING that I cackled with glee.

And what's not to love about a sub sub sub plot involving a Mafioso librarian?

*or whoever the next asshole in the news is by the time I finish writing this review
So, this was one of those books where I smugly thought I knew exactly what was going on...until I didn't.

Very pleased that the author took this in an unexpected direction.

While I didn't love every turn the plot took, I appreciated that the author had me so very curious to see what was going on and how it all would end!

Suspenseful read!

*ARC provided via Net Galley
The author wrote a thriller that started with a bang and just kept going!  The twists kept coming, so I couldn't put it down.  I cannot wait to read more from this author!
2/5 🌟 REVIEW
Thank you @netgalley and @kensingtonbooks for my copy of The Temp by Michelle Frances. I had seen this all over #bookstagram and the cover drew me in, being so bright and powerful making me excited to read it.
This was such a frustrating read to begin with and it took me over a week to finish it. Once I had read about 3/4, the pace fastened and I couldn’t put it down until I had finished. The story started off really well, but it wasn’t particularly interesting, although the settings, characters and job roles were unique which was a nice change.
Unfortunately, this wasn’t as creepy as I had hoped. The tag line and blurb made this book sound like a thriller but it was not. There were no real twists or turns other than the big reveal at the end which wasn’t really original. The chapters were split into 4 sections for the 4 main characters but I didn’t see the point of this. Each chapter was from the point of view of different characters and not just the named character for that section. The sections weren’t specifically about the named character either, so I’m not sure what the author was trying to do here.
I didn’t connect with any of the characters and I felt they didn’t really develop throughout the story. I feel it ran a little long and lacked in suspense. After seeing all of the good reviews I was left disappointed as it felt like an empty read. I gave it 2/5 as the story was an easy weekend read that was just missing something to make it wow.
I received this book from NetGalley to read for free but this review is of my own thoughts. I really enjoyed this book, I loved watching Carrie and Adrian's lives being turned upside down and trying to figure out everyone's place in that.

There are a few negative things I have to say, that prevented it from getting a 5 star rating from me.

First, I didn't really like any of the characters. I liked Carrie the most, but even she went against the original plan with her husband regarding children.
Emma was too hell bent on getting revenge...and I get it, I get that Adrian stole her idea. But even though it was her idea, he still turned it into a popular series. Not to mention what she did with Adrian.
Adrian was awful but not in any way we haven't seen before.

Unless I missed some clue in the beginning, I was surprised at the final twist and I like when that happens. I usually can predict things coming but this one was interesting to unravel.

This book was a little too long in my opinion, it could've been cut down in length easily without missing any key points. I also didn't understand why the Parts were named for the characters because they seemed to flow like the rest of the book.

Overall, it was interesting enough for me to finish, and I have no problem stopping a book that I don't want to continue. It was easy to read and the writing was decent.

If you like stories of revenge and unreliable characters, this book would be a good pick for you.
After struggling to get into my last book at all, I was craving something that would hook me immediately. This one delivered that perfectly.

It's nice to read a thriller that doesn't actually become much of a thriller until a decent chunk of the way through. Until that point, it's just the reader getting to know the characters - watching each narrator become more reliable and more unreliable in waves (a favourite trope of mine), and feeling one's allegiance shift between them constantly.

The tension, when it starts to properly kick in, builds at a good pace that sucks you in.

***Vague spoilers below***

The final twist... I don't know my feelings about it. It seemed to come too out of the blue to me; I didn't see it coming at all. Maybe I missed clues, or maybe they weren't obvious enough to begin with. Looking back, there are a few very subtle pointers, but still possibly too subtle.

I also struggle to get my head around Carrie fully forgiving Emma by the epilogue, but don't want to delve more into my reasoning here for fear of turning "vague spoilers" into full-on spoilers!

A decent, character-driven read that will grab you within the first couple of chapters.
This was a really quick read, and a page-turner, as the author kept you wondering where this story was going to lead. There were several fun character and story twists, as we slowly figured out Emma's endgame...and it was great that it wasn't what the cover synopsis leads you to believe. My only issue is the final Emma\Carrie twist, as it feels like it comes out of left field and tacked on to get certain characters to a happy ending. Other than that, it was a fun read.