Gumbo Life

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2019

Sweet, with an authentic voice.As a food lover as well as a lit lover I enjoy when the worlds collide.  I love the celebration around food, and this book brought it to life.
I loved this book so much I started right back at the beginning once I'd finished it. There's such a wealth of information that in a kind of process and outcome way, it helps to loop back and forth as you progress through each chapter.

If you enjoyed Sara Roahen's Gumbo Tales, Ian McNulty's Louisiana Rambles and Lolis Eric Elie's Treme: Stories and Recipes from the Heart of New Orleans, you'll find Ken Wells' book a worthy addition to the Louisianan culinary canon.
The history of gumbo is long and intense. So many variations, so many opinions. Ken Wells does a good job of covering the many sides. His own background adds even more flavor. I don't know how anyone could read this without getting hungry.
I enjoyed this book! it made me smile reading it. While I'm not from Louisiana, or even French, I enjoy reading about other cultures and particularly Cajun and Creole cultures. I've never eaten gumbo or jambalaya, but have heard about them my entire life! I really just need to get to New Orleans someday to taste the regional dishes. But in the mean time, there are numerous gumbo recipes collected in this book! Thank you, Ken Wells!
\
It all starts with the big kahuna: an authentic Texas barbecued brisket, aka 18 pounds of smoky, fatty, proteinaceous awesomeness. And from this revelation of pure beefy goodness comes burnt ends. Corned beef. Ropa Vieja. Bollito Misto. Pho . . . and slowly it dawns on you: Brisket must be the tastiest, most versatile, and most beloved cut of meat in the world.

In The Brisket Chronicles, Steven Raichlen—“The Julia Child of BBQ” (Los Angeles Times)—shares his 50 best brisket recipes while showing us step-by-foolproof-step how to ’cue it, grill it, smoke it, braise it, cure it, and boil it. This is next-level comfort food: Texas brisket and Kansas City brisket, Jamaican Jerk Brisket, Old School Pastrami, a perfect Passover brisket with dried fruits and sweet wine, Brisket Ramen, even burgers. Plus, what to do with the leftovers: the ultimate Brisket Hash, Brisket Baked Beans, Bacon-Grilled Brisket Bites. And for total mind-blowing pleasure, Kettle Corn with Crispy Brisket. You heard right.

Includes full-color photographs throughout; complete tips and techniques for choosing the right cuts; handling, prepping, and storing a brisket; and recipes for accompaniments, too, including slaws, salads, and sauces.
I. Love. Brisket.  Shred it, smoke it, cure it, I don’t care: I want brisket! Okay, food rant aside, this book is a treasure trove of everything you need to know about brisket. The brisket ramen? Genius.  The photos are gorgeous and the recipes great … I cannot get over how many ways you can use this cut of meat! (Can you tell from my reviews that I am a food addict?)
If you have a smoker or a love for BBQ, this is the perfect book for you: I mentioned it to a co-worker who pre-ordered a copy for himself and his brother as they are hunters, smokers and food fanatics. I imagine one will be on my shelf come its release date…#guilty.