Atlas Alone

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 May 2019

I’ve been a fan of Emily Newman’s books since the fist one as published.
Atlas Alone has one of the most surprising and satisfying endings of anything I’ve read recenty.
I look forward to her next book eagerly.
My only quibble is that I would have liked more on the lives of the characters before the start of this book. In some ways
 it felt as if there was a first unpublished book about their lives and world before the launch of Atlas. If there is, please
publish it .
Probably should start off by saying how much of a fan I am of Emma Newman's Planetfall series. Every single book, including this one, has been a joy to read.

Atlas Alone follows up on the second book in the series, After Atlas and follows the perspective of Carl's close friend, Deanna or Dee. 6 months after the nuclear destruction of Earth, survivors on the Atlas 2 are accelerating towards interstellar space aiming for the Pathfinder's colony that was the setting of Planetfall. Dee becomes convinced that the perpetrators of the apocalypse are on this ship and seeks them out for justice or vengeance.

Like with her other books, Newman puts us into the mind of what I like to call a "beautifully broken" character - a character that captivates us with their flaws and struggles to exist and cope. Dee in particular has difficulty processing the traumatic events that recently happened, let alone her childhood and corporate-conditioned slavery. Like in the other books in the series we get an intimate look at the scars that society casts on the characters and makes us question whether the society is correct.

Atlas Alone also stands out in its reach across science fiction subgenres. It can be considered a space opera in that our characters are hurtling through space in a starship. But even more it is a cyberpunk social-centric thriller. Newman has constructed a totally believable and worrisome future, that persists on the ship even after Earth is destroyed.

In short, this book is a most excellent continuation of the Planetfall and is a must for any fans of the series. If you haven't read any yet, I highly encourage starting with Planetfall.