Cover Image: Gone in the Night

Gone in the Night

This is the 4th book in a series to feature Alex Devlin. You can easily read this as a stand alone. The author does a great job of recapping important details the reader needs to know to follow the story.

"When the victim of a car crash begs journalist Alex Devlin for help before disappearing without trace, Alex finds herself caught up in a mystery that wont let her go."

The author give details throughout the story that keeps you wondering and guessing what will happen.  It is all wrapped up beautifully at the end.

If you like a good mystery/thriller I would definitely recommend this book.

Thank you to NetGalley for the advanced copy for an honest review.
When I started this book I was confused. The first three chapters focused on each introducing a different situation. And I wondered what these three characters had to do with one other and if I could easily follow what was going on.
The story was quite predictable. I liked it but I wouldn't say I really enjoyed or found it to be an engaging read. My niggle is that the characters weren't strongly portrayed - not trusting your gut instincts is a bummer for me!
Thank you Netgalley, Mary-Jane Riley and it’s publisher for the arc in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own and are completely unbiased.

While I did enjoy this read, I found its premise to be a little mediocre and predictable. I still overall enjoyed this book to finish it, I just wasn’t completely glued.
I huge Thank You to The author, The publisher and Netga;;ey for providing the e-arc in exchange for a unbiased review of these works

fantastic read full of twist and turns with a brilliant conclusion
Thank you to netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read a complementary copy of this book in return for review based upon my honest opinion.

This was a great rainy long weekend read. Sitting in our cosy cabin watching the rain and reading a good book with a cup of cocoa; what could be better.  This was a good story, lots of twists and turns; no one was who they said they were, with a great conclusion.
A good read with a lot of suspense. This story kept me interested the whole way through.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Wow!
This book captured me from the first page. I had never read a Mary Jane Riley book before but now have all of her Alex Devlin books in my TBR list.

Alex Devlin is a very believable character. She's not perfect and does make mistakes and I love that. It makes her human.

The story didn't have many twists as such but the mystery surrounding the story is kept completely hidden until the end, when it suddenly all makes sense.

A great story for readers into this genre.
Absolutely fantastic I enjoyed it from start to finish I love Alex and would love to find out more about what makes her so passionate about her job the riders are such a weird family and they prove that power and money makes people think there invincible I love the homeless connection and the facts that homeless people do disappear and nobody takes an interest very well thought out the ending was also very well thought out as not all stories have a happy ending I have downloaded the next book in the series
This is a mystery where the storytelling and descriptions are plentiful. Unfortunately, the plot isn't that good, and the book is rather boring.
My first book by the author and although is #4 in the series I could easily read it in a few hours and understand where everyone's coming from.
A fast-paced, suspenseful read that kept me wanting more and not stopping because I found the story very entrailing as there are so many issues that our society is still dealing with nowadays as it is PTSD and what happens with the retired soldiers.
The characters were reliable and the writing was very good as well.
i will make time to read the previous books as well for sure.
I think this book was really good until the ending, I feel it was pretty lackluster after all the drama. That being said the led up and the intensity was good
OMG! I was addicted to Gone In The Night..  I felt so much emotion… This is one amazing psychological thriller.. Set Aside A interrupted afternoon to loose yourself entirely.. Adrenalin inducing, hair raising thriller..   I loved it!!!’
This book is light reading, while  it raised some social issues, it was primarily a mystery with pretty obvious villans.  Interesting enough but it was too "one note" for me,  needed more obvious voices of the different characters, more emotional/suspenseful peaks.  3.5 rating
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
Thrilling read that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It was well written and flowed well and was easy to read. One you won’t want to end
To start with, this book really confused me. I found myself a little lost while trying to follow the start of the story. I wondered if it was to do with the fact that I haven't read any of the other books in the series - but it all started to come together around chapter 5 - so if you find yourself a little lost, don't give up! Once you power through and get a little further in it starts to make a bit more sense.

In fact, I found I didn't really need to have read the other 3 books in the series in order to understand what was going on, although I will admit I think it would be worth tackling them first in order to fully understand the main character.

This book is a great mix of mystery, thriller and suspense, with the ending hitting again and again and again in such dramatic ways.

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions in this review are all my own.
"Gone in the Night" is book four in the 'Alex Devlin' series but not having read books 1-3, I read this as a stand-alone without feeling that I was missing anything.

Set in Norwich, this super thriller was told in chapters, day by day, from each of the characters' perspectives. I loved this as it gave me the opportunity to see all sides of the same story.

The author, Mary-Jane Riley, had drawn an excellent character in Alex who I found to be very driven, focused and independent. I was totally gripped by this twisty, immersive and tragic thriller.

I can thoroughly recommend this those who are fond of a highly emotive psychological thriller.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Harper Impulse Killer Reads via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Although the 4th in the series, I read this comfortably as a standalone. I enjoyed the structure of the novel which followed different characters and gives us what they are doing concurrently, with parallel chapters. There are some serious issues beneath the plot. You see how easy it is for people to disappear when they are homeless and jobless. They become invisible to society. As an ex-serviceman, Rick has struggled to adjust to life back home after a traumatic experience.

There are some ruthless characters portrayed and you really admire Alex's tenacity and her courage in investigating just what is going on. This is a well-paced novel which leads you at just the right speed through the story and which keeps you turning those pages. Rick, Cora and Alex all contrast each other and there is a great variety in their respective chapters as you see their different motivations. This is a very accessible read, with great characters and some surprises along the way.

In short: Suspense is threaded throughout this well structured read.
Thanks to the author for a copy of the book.
A fantastic read and I loved all the little twists that this story held. Definitely a page-turner and very fast paced. You won't realise you have read the end of the book until you turn that last page.