Who Is My Neighbor?

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

What a darling take on a timeless story.

If you are familiar with the story of the Good Samaritan, you already know how this one ends. Even if you're not, it's not hard to guess. This little story shares an excellent message of kindness, compassion, and tolerance without being preachy. It makes current socio-political conversations accessible to kids and presents a simple, ideal solution.

The Yellows and the Blues have always lived separately, and each is convinced that theirs is the better of the two groups. They eat different foods, have different traditions, and, obviously, look different.

One day, a young Blue is riding his bike and has an accident; a friend comes along, but does he stop to help? No, he's afraid. Same thing with the next Blue.
A little Yellow happens down the road and stops despite her trepidation, and sees to it that the Blue gets patched up. They share some snacks.
As children do, they become friends instantly, and take home their messages of peace and friendship, explaining that the other group isn't comprised of monsters after all. Happiness ensues.

That the story is delivered in the form of colors is a nice touch, and opens the door to other kinds of conversation (what do blue and yellow make? a color you could never achieve without both blue and yellow). The illustration style is familiar, bright, appealing, and whimsical. Text is simple, with easy-to-recognize and simple-to-sound-out words, but a little too heavy on volume for an early reader; this will make a great read-aloud.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing an eGalley of this book to review!
Acceptance is important and kids are never too young to start learning it. This is the subject in Who is My Neighbor? Written by Amy-Jill Levine and Sandy Eisenberg Sasso, this short story is a great way to start teaching children that it’s okay to be friends with people different than them.

“Love your neighbor as you love yourself, and love the stranger, because you know what it was like to be a stranger.”

The story by Levine and Sasso is one that most kids can relate too. Whether it is making new friends at school or with the family that just moved into the neighborhood. At one point everyone is a stranger, until they make friends.

Kids will learn that it’s okay to be nervous meeting someone different than them. These differences are what make each friendship unique. There could be new foods to try and experiences too.

Who is My Neighbor? is a story that teaches kids to embrace each other’s differences in a way that kids of all ages can understand.

The illustrations by Denise Turu help bring the story to life and highlight the idea that anyone can be friends no matter how different they are.
This sweet retelling of the parable of the good Samaritan was cute and age appropriate. It would be a good way to teach children about differences. I really enjoyed it!
Such a sweet book about prejudice and how those learned beliefs can often be wrong and how being open can lead to great friendships.
This children’s story is a loose re-telling of “The Good Samaritan” from the Gospel of Luke.  In the story, there is a town with blue characters and a town with yellow characters.  The townspeople do not communicate and think badly of one another because of their difference.  When a blue character is hurt, his own townspeople pass him by, and a yellow character comes to his aid.  After a little convincing, the yellow and blue characters try to be friendly with one another.  The illustrations are designed as odd shapes and are fun to look at while reading.  There is a note at the end explaining the basis for the story, as well as some thought-provoking questions.  This is a nice story with an important lesson about being a good neighbor to any and all who cross your path, whether they are the same, different, blue, or yellow.

I received a free copy from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
This story is a great way to show how differences aren't something to be feared but celebrated.  A tool for both families and teachers to explore this subject.
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.    Thank you NetGalley.

My kids and I adored this book!    We'd definitely check out others by this author.
Thank you #netgalley for giving me a copy of #WhoIsMyNeighbor  to review. I enjoyed this version of the parable The Good Samaritan. I thought the characters were well done and the story was simple enough for my kids (5 and 6), but still interesting for me as I read it to them.
This was a very nice story showcasing the parable of the Good Samaritan. I also enjoyed the use of colors for the storyline.
Levine and Sasso have produced a new twist on an old story.  Utilizing the biblical parable known as "The Good Samaritan," the authors re-tell the story utilizing colors rather than people.  In a fun and subtle way, the book teaches children (and adults, too) about how being different is not a problem and that all people have more in common than their differences.  The beauty and wisdom of this book is that it gets to the true meaning of this ancient parable.  The moral of the story about blues and yellows is that everyone is our neighbor, whether they look/speak/pray/love like us or not.  Hopefully, parents will also teach their children that even the colors that did not help Midnight Blue are also his neighbors.
A fantastic retelling of The Good Samaritan parable. The book also introduces kids to a variety of different colors and hues.
This is a cute book.  I understand that it is based on the parable of the Good Samaritan, but I was very surprised when the blues wouldn't help the blue who had fallen.  There was no hint at all that one blue might not help another.  They were presented (to me) as a very close group who I would have thought would have helped each other.  Maybe that's the point?

Of course it is not meant to be an original idea, but the blue versus yellow just didn't resonate with me.  My son and I read it together, and we did hope that they would have green children. :)

I think this book definitely presents a positive image and it certainly might be a meaningful reading experience with young children.
In Acts 11:1-18, Peter returns to Jerusalem, and the church demands an account for why he ate with Gentiles. Peter recounts the vision God gave him to be in ministry with Gentiles. Who is my Neighbor? is a retelling of the parable of the Good Samaritan. The Blues and the Yellows do not interact. In fact, the language that they use about one another suggests an us versus them mindset.  It had become a way of life, similar to the way the early church viewed Gentiles. It is only with a Yellow helps a Blue in a time of need that the two groups put their differences aside and come together. Us versus them is the easy way to deal with conflict and differences. This book and the Acts text recommend a paradigm shift in how we understand our traditions and live them out. Us versus them goes against God’s will for us to love one another.
This is such a sweet little display of accepting people and treating people kindly. I would love to get this book for my library!
Thank you to Partner Netgalley for sharing an e-book copy of this uplifting children's book, Who is My Neighbor?  by Amy-Jill Levine and Sandy Eisenberg Sasso, illustrated by Denise Turu.

This is a touching story about the Blues and the Yellows, two groups who are homogenous and a bit xenophobic and prone to bias against the other group until the unlikely mixing of a Yellow (Lemon) and a Blue (Midnight Blue). Lemon and Midnight Blue discover that despite everything they have been told by their neighbors in their respective color groups, things are not what they appear.

When Midnight Blue gets hurt and gets help from Lemon (after being ignored by two members of his Blue group), he discovers that the Yellow world is one of kindness and compassion that is totally different from the way Yellows had been described to him by his Blue community. Lemon, who takes Midnight Blue to her doctor and shares her snack, discovers that Midnight Blue is also kind and gracious. After their encounter, Lemon and Midnight Blue become and remain friends. Seeing them together teaches the neighborhoods that their biases and stereotypes are all wrong, and the two communities change their ways to come together.
​
This is a sweet, hopeful story that very clearly parallels real life struggles that people have as they encounter others who are different from them (or avoid those others simply because of ignorance and fear). I read it with my four year old, who loved it because of the way that Lemon helped Midnight Blue and because of the way they all came together in the end. She quickly drew connections to skin color and languages, and she mentioned the prejudice that we've read about in other books and how wrong that is.

​This is a great children's book with an important message about acceptance and compassion and not accepting that things have to be the way they have always been.
Blues know there is no such thing as a good Yellow, and Yellows know there is no such thing as a good Blue. They are just too different!

When Midnight Blue takes a tumble on his bike, he’s sure another blue will help him. After Navy and Powder Blue pass by like they don’t even see him, Midnight is shocked. But Midnight is more shocked when lemon--a yellow-- does stop. Through Lemon’s kind act, Midnight and Yellow come to realize that even though Blues and Yellows are different, that doesn’t mean they can’t be friends. They spread their message of acceptance to others, and Blues and Yellows find that they can make new friends and help one another.

Who Is My Neighbor? is a child-accessible retelling of the “Good Samaritan” parable. Kids will quickly pick up on the main messages of the book about helping those in need and accepting others even if they are different than you.
This is a simple, secular retelling of the parable of The Good Samaritan. If you are interesting in learning about he biblical parable, there is information at the back of the book, but this book is not religious, it teaches morals. The question, "Who is my neighbor?"  The answer, "You are!"

This book can be used when tackling racism and bigotry with children. It is easy to understand for children. The Blues live in one town, and the Yellows live in another. They are both taught that the other is bad and they should stay away from them. When an accident happens to Midnight Blue, other blues hurry by and do not help him. Who does stop and help?, Lemon Yellow. He takes him to a yellow doctor and they share blue and yellow food with one another. They realize that the other is not so bad afterall, and they all mingle and become friendly neighbors in the end. This was a creative story with everything dealing with the Blues coloured blue such as their food and items in the town and the Yellows have all yellow things. The illustrations are cute showing different shades of colour and shapes. There are even shapes in wheelchairs. A wonderful book for use in a classroom or home where racism or bullying might be happening. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book upon request. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
#Who Is My Neighbor?    #NetGalley

The question, "Who is my neighbor?"  The answer, "You are!"  This parable can and should always be reinforced in school, at play, in small or large groups.  Just because we are different, doesn't mean that we can't be neighbors and friends.
A wonderful book for today's children, tackling racism/sexism/bigotry/etc. in an easy to understand way for children to appreciate.  The Blues live in one town, and the Yellows live in another, and they are both taught that the other is bad.  But when an accident happens to Midnight Blue, who's there to help him but Lemon Yellow!  And they realize that the other is not so bad afterall, and they all mingle and become friendly neighbors in the end.  I loved the creativity with making everything in Blue Town blue (they eat blueberries and blue cheese, and have blue jays and blue butterflies) and everything in Yellow Town yellow (they eat bananas and butterscotch, and have goldfinches).

(As a non-religious person, I did appreciate the afterward that detailed the Biblical Good Samaritan story that this book is based upon - it goes to show that you can easily teach morals without the heavy-handed religious overtones!)
This simple retelling of the Good Samaritan is both inspiring and powerful without being preachy. This picture book can be used in secular and non-secular settings to open discussions about friendship, compassion, and kindness. A lovely little book with a bighearted message.