Cover Image: Who Is My Neighbor?

Who Is My Neighbor?

A wonderful book for today's children, tackling racism/sexism/bigotry/etc. in an easy to understand way for children to appreciate.  The Blues live in one town, and the Yellows live in another, and they are both taught that the other is bad.  But when an accident happens to Midnight Blue, who's there to help him but Lemon Yellow!  And they realize that the other is not so bad afterall, and they all mingle and become friendly neighbors in the end.  I loved the creativity with making everything in Blue Town blue (they eat blueberries and blue cheese, and have blue jays and blue butterflies) and everything in Yellow Town yellow (they eat bananas and butterscotch, and have goldfinches).

(As a non-religious person, I did appreciate the afterward that detailed the Biblical Good Samaritan story that this book is based upon - it goes to show that you can easily teach morals without the heavy-handed religious overtones!)
This simple retelling of the Good Samaritan is both inspiring and powerful without being preachy. This picture book can be used in secular and non-secular settings to open discussions about friendship, compassion, and kindness. A lovely little book with a bighearted message.
This book is an allegory for race relations.  One race is blue, the other yellow. The message is know your neighbor.  Don’t judge by its colors but by its actions.  Your normal neighbors may not help in the time of need.  It might be someone you were always taught was lesser than you, that ends up being the help and the friend you need.
Cute and clear little book that shows the story of the Good Samaritan in a way that children can understand.  This story is still necessary, over 2,000 years later.  Sad, but glad that it is still being told and seen as important to pass on to the next generation.

3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 because it is an important story.

My thanks to NetGalley and Flyaway Books for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.
The morale of this story took took long for me and then the "note" at the end convinced me this is not right for my patrons.
What a sweet book for children to learn how to see themselves and other people around them! In a world where blue and yellow don't mix, an act of kindness starts a new friendship. This a lovely book that can lead to wonderful conversations with your children or students.
This colorful book covers a serious topic in a relatable way for young and older readers. I liked the educational aspect of teaching different shades of blues and yellows and even associating the colors with creatures and objects. The message related to the Biblical parable (Luke 10:30-37) has enough familiarity to delight those who know the passage.  This could be read and shared from a Christian perspective or as a title about the need for kindness around the world.

I received a copy of this book by the publisher through Netgalley.com.
My reviews for and opinions to authors, publishers, and review sources are my own and not related to my employer.
Based on the parable of "The Good Samaritan" from The Gospel of Luke, the story asks us to follow Christ's teaching to 'love thy neighbor as thyself'.  Rather than use the traditional story of the hurt traveler ignored by a priest and a Levite and helped by a Samaritan, the writer uses abstract beings of "blue" and "yellow" to illustrate the meaning.  It's an old story using modern day, make-believe people to convey its importance.  Beautiful, bright colors will engage children's minds and help teach them the oh, so important message of kindness.  #WhoIsMyNeighbor #NetGalley
Cute re-telling of the parable of the Good Samaritan!  I thought it was a good illustration to make the parable easy for children to understand.  Children will not understand the difference in Samaritans in Jews as well as they understand the difference in Yellow and Blue.  I liked that it was a difference in color because it is at its core a parable meant to dissuade racism.  It was meant to convey that every person is our neighbor and therefore the command to love our neighbor means love everybody - no matter their nationality.  This book really breaks down the message of the parable and makes it easy for children to understand.  My four year old enjoyed it as well!
I've read thousands of books aloud to children, in countless storytimes as a librarian, literacy specialist, and now at the bookstore. I'm pretty particular about the books I read. I want them to be uplifting, preach kindness, have a great storyline, and beautiful illustrations.

I expected this book to check those boxes. It seemed like it would be a story about learning to be friends with people even if they are different than you. Although on the surface that is what this book is about, I just got hung up on a few points and as a result, I would pass on reading this to any kids in my storytimes.

At first I loved the feeling of inclusion (I saw that wheelchair) and I loved how all of the characters had different names for blue and yellow (what a great teaching moment! What other names for blue can we think of?).

However, I think the attempt to make this a story about The Good Samaritan made it take a wrong turn. When the blues said they didn't like the yellows because the yellows thought they were BETTER than them ... and then the yellows agreed I knew I wouldn't read this to a child. Do kids even think about being better than someone else?

Then the quick change to Lemon's attitude when she helps felt like a plot gap. How did she go from being scared to holding Blue's hand? I felt like I missed a page.

The illustrations are fantastic - fun and really kid friendly. The topic is one I look for in a book. I just think this particular title brings up more negative than positive feelings. Even in the end, the Yellows want to help the Blues be better ... rather than just accepting their friends for who they are.
This book is a retelling of the Good Samaritan story. Who Is My Neighbor was a great way to share this parable with younger kids in an engaging and accessible way. The illustrations were lively and well done and our children found them to be one of their favorite parts of this story.

It was a great reminder about how just because someone is "like you" doesn't always mean they are the kindest people. It also does a great job of introducing the topics of prejudice and diversity and that just because someone may look or act differently than you, doesn't mean they aren't a good person. It was a great example of how our differences may make us unique but they also connect us and we are better when we work together.

Thank you to NetGalley and Flyaway Books for providing me with a copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
The Blues live on one side of the town and the Yellows live on the other and they don't ever get together because that is always the way it has been.  No one knows how this all began or tries to change at the rules so the segregation tradition holds steady.  Blues and Yellows don't ever mix... end of discussion... period!

One day Midnight Blue is cruising along on his blue bike and loses his balance.  He takes a nasty tumble injuring himself.  He desperately needs help. Along comes his friends ( or so he thought  were his friends ) Navy and Powder Blue, both his neighbours, but they never stop to help him.  Why?  Why wouldn't they aid their dear blue friend who is in trouble?  Midnight Blue says:

"Neither Navy nor Power Blue is true blue."  What an accusation to make!

They both quickly run away from Midnight Blue ignoring his plea for help. Whatever can he do alone, abandoned, and hurting?

Lemon Yellow, depicted as a sweet warm fuzzy, happens along and  the barriers that separate the Blues and Yellows are about to change their lives permanently because of her brave, kind actions towards Midnight Blue!  The authors include a note for both parents and educators at the back of the book that give a deeper understanding of the story's meaning.  This is a very relevant book for today as  it encourages acceptance, kindness,  friendship and love.  " Love thy neighbour as thyself" the Bible states and this is exactly what the Blues and Yellows did... and the barrier walls came tumbling down.  I highly recommend this book.
I really enjoyed this cute retelling of The Good Samaritan story! It's a good parable that has been around for ages but it's one I don't think you can ever hear too often.
Probably more a 3 1/2, this was kind of a sweet recharacterization of Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan, and it worked. Younger children will not misunderstand the meaning of the tale if they can stay focused on the story. Using shapes instead of people was not as much a draw for me, nor do I think it will keep the children engaged. I really like the idea, and it has possibility.
This is a nice book that helps encourage readers to judge people on their character instead of how they look or how different they are from you. It has a good message and I really like that it shows that sometimes people who are your "neighbors" and are similar to you aren't necessarily the best or kindest people.
I received an ARC from NetGalley.
Loosely based on the parable of the Good Samaritan, the Blues and the Yellows do not associate with each other. Each thinks they are better than their neighbors - think Star-bellied Sneeches from Seuss. One day Midnight Blue gets bumped off his bike and injured. Two other Blues come by and ignore him as they don't want to get involved. Lemon comes by and not only stops to help but takes him to her doctor. They each discover that they have more in common than different.
Use with younger children/elementary level readers to talk about how many ways we're alike and helping each other.
The illustrations reflect many shade of the two colors and bring the two worlds to life - side by side on some spreads. The touches of green on each page are subtle reminders about blending and getting along. The character expressions help readers decipher the story as well.
Levine tells the story using relatable text for younger readers.
Ironically one part I loved best was the world creation of the blue world and the yellows world (the matching colors of foods they ate and plants they planted, their color-aligned names.. all of that was actually pretty delightful to me even though I understand that is not the point of this book).

This idea has now been done quite a number of times so its hard not to compare or consider which one of these color stories is one of the better ones. The story in this one didn’t do much for me and the ending wrapped up a bit quick and without any additional bumps or conflict... I did sort of like how the focus of the story was really about being a good neighbor, which was slightly different spin than some of the other color books.

But did I mention that the world creation when everyone was segregated was actually quite lovely and cute? I’m cracking myself up about the fact that I liked that best.. Anyways. I suppose if you haven’t seen one of these inter-color relationship books out there yet this one might be sweet to you. I think as a multi-ethnic human and a person who reads loads of kids books maybe my standards are a bit on the high side, 2.5 for me.

Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for an honest review in exchange for an ARC.
A sweet little book about embracing differences. This will help young readers understand that someone who is different doesn't mean they are scary or mean.
This is a simple look at race, prejudice, stereotypes, fear, the nature of social groups  to want to force everyone to conform, and the power of diversity.  Now, that’s a lot to tackle in a picture book, but this does a pretty good job. It keeps things simple and makes the points  that it needs to and should.

It even drops lines that would be considered racism by most adults,  “You’re a good Yellow, not like the others,” though that will fly over the head of most kids. Still, it’s good for them to see what prejudice is and recognize it as being wrong, and maybe this book could help with that.

The artwork is simple, which makes it easy to follow along and absorb the story.
This would be a great group read for when you want to discuss differences and diversity, or even if you want to tackle issues with an older group, such as stereotyping and prejudice. Sometimes having a simple story like this can be a great talking tool, even with middle school kids.
This cute retelling of the tale of the Good Samaritan recreates the story with objects of two different colors. The Blues never interact with the Yellows, and the Yellows never interact with the Blues. One day, due to an unfortunate (or perhaps fortunate) accident, all of that changes. This story is appropriate for young readers Pre-K through grade 2, and would be a valuable addition to any elementary or children's library collection.