Cover Image: The Window

The Window

Ok, the bits I liked. Some nice character development in the book, although I think I liked them less than the author would have liked. It was easy to read, with a quick pace to it, it didn’t take me long to read.
This book was centred around a couple of sex obsessed demonic monsters, who used mirrors/windows as a portal. Their aim was to possess, mortal bodies for their own ends. A teenage group of friends were instrumental in discovering this. I won’t go into more detail, as I don’t want to give any spoilers! Very akin to a Stranger things/Goonies/Stand by me coming of age story, but much darker!
I don’t like to leave any negativity in a review. However, I just didn’t feel like this was a ‘finished piece’. I felt that the story jumped around, there were areas  the author laid down a seed, but didn’t return to do anything with it. I think this is a shame, as the premise for this book has potential, but it somehow feels rushed, not developed enough, with a number of inconsistencies.
The Window

Thank you to the publishers and to Netgalley for an advance copy in return for an honest review.

I didn’t like this book.  I enjoy horror, I also enjoy thrillers and I have no problem with lots of sex in a book. For me this novel just didn’t put it all together in a way that I enjoyed.

First off at times I felt that I was reading a teenager’s novel.  All the teenage angst between James and his friends just didn’t cut it for me.  The reference to Twilight nearly tipped me over the edge.  For me Twilight is the epitome of bland, whilst my teenage daughter enjoyed it and loved Edward, I always felt that the story needing a good staking.

The novel has a good vintage feel which I did like.  James and his dad Richie go to a Def Leppard gig, and the novel has an 80s nostalgic, end of summer feel to it.  But, the demon story I found tedious.  Trapped in the window and being able to move buildings just didn’t cut it for me.  So much so I started skim reading, I tried to describe this book at home to a horror lover (even more than me) and just couldn’t get a grip on what was meant to be going on.

Maybe without the sexy bits and more aimed at teenagers, or less about the teenagers and keeping the sexy bits would have cut it more for me.  As it, for me it just didn’t work or join together and its 2 stars.
I really enjoyed this book. Great page turner which kept me guessing until the very end. Atmospheric and tense in places.
The Window by Glen Rolfe
The Window by Glen Rolfe is a story about two demons who are trying to steal human bodies. Stating this is revealing no spoilers, as these demons are exposed in the first few pages of the book. The rest of the story involves the demons trying to take over the bodies of Richie, his girlfriend Allison, and his son, James.
I wanted to love this book. I don’t want to give too much away, but James and his friends have a lot to do with exposing these demons, and the novel has a ‘Stranger Things’ feel to it, where the kids are kids, and they enjoy activities other than video games and watching YouTube videos.
I’m an editor, and I hate giving books bad reviews because I know how much blood, sweat, and tears go into books. So let me start with what I did like. The characters are very memorable—especially James. He’s a good kid, and you like him from the beginning. You also like Richie, and you find yourself, as a reader, pulling for him to get his sh*%& together. The plot moves quickly, and so you are truly immersed, leaving you speed through the pages.
Here’s what I didn’t like. The grammar is atrocious. The numerous errors distracted me. I didn’t like that the author introduced the demons immediately. I feel like this book would have benefited from some mystery. Also, the narrator ‘tells’ the reader a lot, instead of ‘showing’ the reader. Lastly, I noticed too many plot holes, inconsistencies, and incidents that were unbelievable. One of my biggest pet peeves in this book was the fact that the demon could sway people, just on the basis of sex—like we are all just sex-hungry animals that can’t resist the our basic primordial need to procreate. It’s like none of the characters tried to resist. Ahhh. Tits. Okay. I’m in. Not believable to me.
This book had many problems, but I’m still giving it 3 stars because if this manuscript came across my desk, I would place it in the ‘Great Potential’ stack. The plot does keep the reader interested, and that’s the first step in creating a stellar manuscript. I wasn’t familiar with this author, and I imagined that he was a debut author, just getting his feet wet. I was surprised to see that he has published many novels, though I will not be purchasing another book. I’m afraid that many of his imperfections could be remedied if he had a good editor. But I’m giving it a 3 for author potential and anticipatory suspense.
I received a free version of this manuscript from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
A bit more graphic than I'm used to but I was warned! That said I did enjoy it and wouldn't mind reading some more by this author
"What kind of demons await you tonight?

For Richie, life's constant cheap shots are adding up. When he finds something is watching him, he never dreamed that it would show him everything he ever wanted.

When his son, James, comes to stay for the last month of summer, the changes in his father's behavior come to the forefront. What is his father doing staring into the window in the middle of the night? Was the fiery spark in the dark real? Or is Jame's imagination getting the best of him? Summer's almost over. And life is about to change. Will James be able to save his father? Or is it already too late? The Window holds the answers...and the key."

The Window is a grubby kind of horror....is that unfair to say? It's certainly graphic sexually, there are a number of "ewwww gross" moments. I know that makes me sound like a 10 year old but maybe I'm channeling James, one of the characters. So, the premise of The Window is that there are a pair of demons trapped in glass looking for victims...people with weaknesses...to corrupt and inhabit so they can be free. Ritchie isn't a bad person but he's at a weak point in his life, heavily drinking and his self esteem is at an all time low. His son has come to visit and soon realises that things aren't normal as his dad starts to change and drives away his patient but downtrodden girlfriend. It was a fun story...if you like horror fun (!) like me...like a few books I've read in 2018 it has an 80's reminiscent about it (A Stranger Things influence maybe). Summer is ending, group of kids, adults acting strange...a bully...

The ending for me spoiled it. It became somewhat biblical. There was a rushed feeling to it and some very convenient plot points....it is apparently very easy to find obscure demonology online and associated rituals (maybe I don't look in the right places).

3/5....well written for most parts but starts to become preachy at the end...was I supposed to convert upon finishing?
I feel like this book leans more towards a 4 star review, but decided to give it 5 stars just because this book was such an easy read. I don't mean that the vocabulary was dumbed down or that the book was super short, just that it was hard to put this book down. I really enjoyed this read. The characters were super likeable and the story had a slight spiritual guidance to it towards the end which I found refreshing. Filled with lot of twists and creepiness, it almost had a Stranger Things vibe to it. A book I would definitely recommend to fans of horror!
WHOA. Hold on your socks. You might get them blown off. This was a book I finished in the light of day. a crazy dysfunctional family at it's best or worse?
When his son, James, comes to stay for the last month of summer, the changes in his father's behavior come to the forefront. What is his father doing staring into the window in the middle of the night? Was the fiery spark in the dark real? Or is Jame's imagination getting the best of him? Is it too late to save Richie?

This is a perfect book for just being creeped out. perfect for fans of the Horror and Supernatural.
*** Warning: This book does contain some scenes of graphic sexual situations and violence. ***
Thanks to NewGalley for an advance copy as well as Glenn Rolfe. A winner.
I received a digital copy of this book for an honest review. Sadly, this was one of the worst stories I have read. The writing style felt chaotic. I didn’t really understand what was happening through a majority of the book. The story itself had a very amateur feel to it and the writing, in my opinion was rubbish. I think going back to the drawing board would be best with this one.
Publisher: Alien Agenda Publishing
Published: September 28, 2018
Pages: 255

I've read several books by Glenn Rolfe. My favorites are BECOMING and ABRAM'S BRIDGE. He can write with the best of them. His stories are complex and compelling. To me, THE WINDOW is one of the best books Rolfe has ever written.

What kind of demons await you tonight?

That's a loaded question, isn't it? Especially for Richie. He's lost his business and his wife. Richie drinks more than usual as of late and the depression has set in, leaving him susceptible to lustful demons. His soon to be 14 year old son, Richie, is having a rather terrible summer, but he's looking to turn it around by visiting his father. After all, they've missed each other for quite some time.

I will never look at windows or mirrors the same way again. The Window is a coming of age story. The story is filled with friendships, separation of parents, bullies, and so much more. Richie starts acting strange. James notices and takes action, along with his friends, of course. The Window is a tale of possession and good vs. evil.

The setup is awesome. The short chapters and excellent prose make this story sing. Glenn Rolfe does a great job with the demons and young teens. I dig the pop culture strewn throughout, too. There are some scenes that I can't get out of my mind. Rolfe doesn't use a lot of descriptors. He lets the reader see for themselves, which makes for a great reading experience. The characterization is solid. I was fully invested in the characters.
THE WINDOW by Glenn Rolfe will be in my top ten releases for 2018 for sure. This was probably his best horror novel yet.. Great story. Great characters and just plain scary as hell! I completely and whole heartedly recommend this one to fans of the Horror and Supernatural.
For Richie, life's cheap shots are adding up. When he finds something is watching him, he never dreamed that it would show him everything that he ever wanted.  When his son, James, comes to stay for the last month of summer, the changes in his father's behavior come to the forefront. What is his father doing staring into the window in the middle of the night? Was the fiery spark in the dark real? Or is James' imagination getting the best of him?

Summer's almost over. And life is about to change.Will the son be able to save the father? Or is it already too late?

The Window holds the answers...and the key.

I am not so sure about this book. I am not one to be big on possession stories, then again I didn't like the Exorcist.  The Window is a unique story where the demons have attainable goals, great characterization all around, and a coming-of-age angle that blends perfectly into the direction of the novel. Rolfe certainly shows his growth as an author with this emotional and action-packed tale.
I'm quickly finding that what other people find terrifying in horror, I just don't. It's probably not so far off from my love of horror movies. While I find them enjoyable, I just don't find that they scare me, which is unfortunate because I love to be scared. The Window falls into that category. While it had some creepy tones to it, I don't love it the way others seem to be.

Essentially a coming of age horror, The Window follows Richie and his son, James. Richie's life hasn't always been easy. Divorced with an unsuccessful job, he's depressed and drinking heavily. Instead of accepting responsibility for his own actions, he falls into the trap of blame. It's everyone's fault but his own.  All of this sets him up as a prime target for demonic possession. Richie didn't make a very likable character, but the good thing is he's not supposed to be, though I imagine that the author does mean for you to feel somewhat sympathetic towards him. Instead, I just felt sorry for James.

James is a fairly typical teenager. When his mom moves him away from his hometown after the divorce, James is a bit lost. He misses his friends. He misses his dad. When his mom sends him to summer with his dad, he's thrilled. He quickly discovers that something isn't quite right with his dad.

It's not the usual possession story, although the demons easily seduce the weakest links. There is quite a bit of horror and gore to the story. While it wasn't gore for the sake of gore, it still didn't quite resonate with me. I actually enjoyed the build-up to the horror more: the subtleness of the reflections leering back at Richie, the inner dialogue of the demons tempting and corrupting, and the girlfriend caught in the middle, knowing the changes were occurring but unable to resist. I think the best part of this book has nothing to do with the possession at all but is instead the growth and advancement of James' maturity.

I wanted to love this book more. I've always loved in horror when the reflection is acting independently of the person. It's always been a good bit to further the horror but in this one, it just fell short for me.
I didn't find this book remotely scary. But it was full of suspense, which in some ways is just as good, maybe better.
 I loved the first three quarters of this book but the final battle let it down a bit and kind of dragged on too long. I am not into action scenes in books, but for someone who is this is probably going to be a great read. I really liked all the interpersonal drama and the well thought out family dynamics. Overall this is one of the better horror books I have read, but I think I need to stop reading horror as I never really enjoy them. When I was a kid I loved the Goosebumps and Hair Raiser books, so I have this great sense of nostalgia around horror novels, but unfortunately I think i have outgrown them, perhaps?
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!! 😊
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review

There was some much here I couldn’t handle. Granted, I doubt I was the ideal reader, but the misogyny and gore was over the top. Hard pass.
The Window by author Glenn Rolfe is a haunting horror novel that is filled with intense moments. You’ll want to read it with the lights on!
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of The Window in exchange for an honest review.
A dark, gory and enjoyable story, I enjoyed the Window as my first read of Glenn Rolfe's.
The book is well structured and flows well, never having slow or dragging moments.

The horror elements are satisfactorily horrible and disturbing without ever stepping over the line.
My few criticisms;
<spoiler> I feel like Kevin and James found the 'answer' to what the demons are and how to defeat them online far too quickly It seemed to be the first thing they stumbled upon which just seamed awfully convenient.
They also defeated the demons in the very first encounter. Which suggests they really that threatening.
The children also didn't act like 13 year olds, in my opinion. They seemed far too mature.
</spoiler>

I would recommend this to someone who was looking for a quick scare or a classic kid oriented adventure story with horror themes.
4/5 stars.
We're introduced to James, a teenager who has been forced to move towns to live with his mother and her boyfriend after she and his father divorce. James is less than enthused about being forced to spend the rest of his summer with the pair, instead of with his much more lenient father Richie, and the father's girlfriend Alison. We then find out that Richie is feeling much of the same. Having been left by his wife, and then suffering the loss of his business, he decides that he's not going to let his ex dictate the remaining time left during the summer that he could be spending with his son. We also get a bit more insight into Richie's shortcomings with both lack of work and in the bedroom, which have led to depression and a slight drinking problem. His weaknesses are ultimately what make him the perfect target to be manipulated by demonic forces.

My favorite aspect of The Window was the adolescent friendship. James isn't only coming home to spend time with his father, but to enjoy the remaining summer days with his two best friends and his crush. When things start to go awry, the five young teens take matters into their own hands, not at all aware of the true horrors which await them all.

I honestly had the hardest time putting this one down. I believe it took me all of two days to finish, which given my day to day life and how slow of a reader I am, speaks volumes about this book. I took an immediate liking to all of the characters (except Garrett.) and was definitely invested in the plot within the first few pages. At times I thought it to be oddly erotic, sad, hilarious, sweet; It gave me everything I'd want and more. I now find myself needing to know what's going on with certain characters after the fact, and hoping that one day we may even get a follow up. I highly recommend The Window to anyone with eyes and the ability to read. Just be sure to avoid staring into any reflective surfaces after; you never know who, or what, may be looking back.
I'll start by saying thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this and review.
This is the first book I have read by Glenn Rolfe, and I can tell you right away it won't be my last.
This was a great read.
I do enjoy a good coming-of-age story with plenty horror and suspense added in to the mix. This one pretty much hit all the right spots: fast paced, good characterisation.
Definitely worthy of five stars from me.
Thoroughly enjoyed this, Glenn.
Richie has been having a tough time. First his business fails. Then his wife leaves him for the man who sold him his car and moves an hour away with their son, James. Now he’s sitting in his trailer while his current girlfriend works third shifts for extra money, wallowing in despair and booze. Things begin looking up when James comes to stay with him for the summer, but it’s too late for poor Richie. He has been spotted by a pair of demons who want to take advantage of his depression and hopelessness. Pretty soon, that movement at the corner of his eye in the window will show him that his wildest dreams can come true. But everything has a price – and this one won’t be cheap.

This is by no means your typical possession story. Our hero is not an old priest, but a 13-year-old boy and his friends who are just trying to help him through something no one truly understands. Really different way of telling a story that has become worn out since The Exorcist. Just remember to refrain from staring out the window…