Dear Wife

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Jul 2019

Captivating, suspenseful, entertaining novel! This beautiful thriller kept me on the edge of my seat while I was reading it! Would highly recommend to those who enjoy this genre.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview this ARC of Dear wife by Kimberly Belle.

"Beth" is on the run and searching for a new life.  Doing everything she can to ensure that her steps can't be retraced, she connects with a ragtag bunch of society misfits and petty lawbreakers who all understand discretion.

Jeffrey has come home expecting a warm greeting from his wife Sabine, but she is nowhere to be found.  Anxious to find his wife, but also reluctant to fall under any suspicion, Jeffrey teams up with Sabine's twin sister who holds Jeffrey in utter disdain.

This is a well written domestic drama/thriller with multiple twists and turns.  It started to drag a bit, I found myself less interested in Beth's story of establishing new relationships, but once I understood where it was going, I dove right back in.  I loved the ending.
Dear Wife, by Kimberly Belle, is a riveting, cleverly plotted thriller about a woman who, in a fight for survival, is on the run from her abusive husband.
This leads to a suspenseful game of cat and mouse that kept me guessing until the very end.
An excellent psychological thriller with an ending I wasn't expecting.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin/Park Row for a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
What an intense thriller! Sabine Hardison has gone missing, and her husband is by turns concerned and enraged. Beth Murphy is on the run, in fear for her life from an abusive husband. Are they the same person? Has Sabine taken on a new identity in order to hide from an abusive husband?  The detective on the case is closing in, and is relentless in his pursuit, but just what exactly is it? An incredibly well-told tale that leaves you breathless until the end.
Upon receiving a recommendation from The Book Sage, I have read two of Kimberly Belle's novels so far and have been very impressed with her writing style. She always manages to keep me in suspense. Her latest novel, Dear Wife, is Kimberly at her absolute best!

This novel kept me guessing the entire time. Sometimes I thought I was right, even when I didn't wan to be, and then I'd get thrown for another loop. It had a Sleeping with the Enemy feel. I was so nervous for Beth the entire time and hoped that she'd manage to outsmart her abusive husband. The attempts to find her were interesting, as well. That made me even more nervous though!

I liked reading the different perspectives throughout the novel. I would have loved for Martina to have a narrative, as well. Maybe there can be a spin-off that features her?

I am excited for what Kimberly comes up with next and I know I also need to read the novels of hers that I missed.

For Hollywood's consideration:
Beth: Michelle Monaghan
Jeffrey: Seann William Scott
Marcus: Sam Worthington
Martina: Makenzie Vega
Reverend Andrews: Richard Gere (because why not?)
Kimberly Belle has done it again! I have loved all of her books. After loving The Marriage Lie (which I have read twice by the way, and I never read a book twice), I also read and loved Three Days Missing. Naturally I had to devour Dear Wife! Not sure why I am so late in the game to read this one just lack of time.

This book had multiple POV's but the author was very clever in keeping this so it was not confusing. I feel the trick to this is good character development, so each one sticks out in your mind. She develops each so well I felt I knew them all. So no problem here and it flowed really well so I didn't find myself getting lost or having to make notes to keep them straight. I just got to sit back and enjoy the story.

Sabine is missing...her husband Jeffrey is devastated..or is he? It is always the husband right? Wow I went back and forth on this. At first I was convinced that yes, it is always the husband. As I got to know Sabine more and more, well there appeared that there were many people that would have a motive for making her "disappear". Even her career as a real estate agent can prove to be risky. Needless to say I spent much of the time trying to figure out who was the bad guy (or girl).

Yet we also had a story of Beth taking place seemingly at the same time. Beth is running for her life. Beth has been dealing with an abusive husband for years. We are privy to Beth's deepest thoughts as she recounts her life with her husband. I often wondered how reliable Beth was as a narrator. Were all these memories true? I will admit I was all over the place with this book. I had no idea what to think.

At the end I was floored as everything fell into place. Once again I was blind sided by this author who always gives us a page turner! Add this to the list of Kimberly Belle books that I love! Bring on the next one please!
Whew! I loved, LOVED this fast paced mystery! Being a huge fan of Belle's I knew I was in for a treat but I didn't know I need to be strapped in from the first page! It took off like lightening and I had one heck of a time putting it down!

Fantastic read!
4 stars ⭐️
This book started really slow for me but at around the  half way mark, it really picked up and got really exciting ! Definitely recommend it to those who like this genre
I wanted to like this book so much but after multiple false starts, I just couldn't get into the story.
I really enjoyed this book. A few twists and turns and a great story about strength. I will be highly recommending this to everyone.
This was definitely a page turner.  A woman goes missing and a police man is assigned to find her.  The book is written from three different points of view and the reader soon realises that when the woman narrates she is not the woman who has gone missing. As the story progresses, the reader is given snippets of info about all three narrators and how they are connected to each other which turns the whole story into a great page turner.  A very good plot with some very interesting twists. I enjoyed reading this book.
Thank you NetGalley for this chilling read that had me guessing to the end.  This was such a great read and I would highly recommend for anyone who wants a great story!!
The best-selling author of The Marriage Lie returns with another suspense-filled novel about the dark corners and traps of marriage.  Kimberly Belle's Dear Wife is a deliciously good, electrifying book, which follows a woman on the run, not from the police, but from her own husband.

Beth is leaving Arkansas in her rear-view mirror ... along with her abusive husband.  She's been planning on leaving her old life behind her for some time now, but the only trouble is, she knows her husband will find her if she isn't careful, which is why she is leaving a trail of gingerbread crumbs in the wrong direction as she sets out to build her new life somewhere far, far away from home.

Sabine has gone missing.  A successful Arkansas realtor, Sabine didn't come home one night after a showing, and her husband Jeffrey is desperate to find her.  However, it is difficult getting the police to take action when they consider you their main suspect.

Marcus is the police officer in Pine Bluff working Sabine's case.  He has his ways of finding things out, and they aren't always upright and honest, but one thing is for sure - he will find Sabine and bring her home at all costs.

While Dear Wife is one of those spine-tingling stories where you can't say too much without giving away the jaw-dropping twists and turns, readers will delight in how the stories of Beth, Sabine, Jeffrey, and Marcus all come together in the end.  Dear Wife is a novel that you will want to devour in one sitting, and we don't blame you if you do.  As this storyline closes in at a breakneck pace, you won't be able to look away from this horrifying, yet compelling story about domestic abuse.  Sometimes the monsters under the bed are the very men we live with.
Wow! I absolutely LOVED this book! Really likeable characters and a great twist at the end :) This is my first book by this author, but will definitely not be my last!  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

*Thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for this advanced copy. The above review is my own*
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the author, Harlequin -Park Row Publishing and Netgalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

A mystery wrapped up in a thriller wrapped up in a story that would make the perfect screenplay as long as they don't change a single word of it! Read this book in one sitting, was not expecting the ending. Highly recommended.

5 out of 5 stars.
Wow- I am not normally a suspense/thriller reader, but I greatly enjoyed this book and had no idea about the surprises towards the end!  The book moved quickly and I liked how different characters' perspectives were used.  Would definitely recommend.
Synopsis: Dear Wife tells the story of a woman who escapes her abusive husband, changes her look, changes her name, and goes on the run. Now Beth Murphy, she is desperate to be free from the man who made her live in fear for so many years. Back home, Jeffrey returns from a business trip to find that his wife, Sabine, is missing. Dear Wife follows their two stories, as well as the story of the police detective who will do anything to find the missing woman.

My Thoughts:

Dear Wife is an engaging read from cover to cover. While I predicted the plot twist early on, it didn’t matter. The tension Belle weaves into every page kept me riveted throughout the story.

That said, realizing the twist early on did allow me to spot a few plot holes. The story is told from three points of view, each first person. To not reveal the lies of one character is difficult, since we’re inside their head and we know exactly what they’re thinking. The selective thoughts of one character in particular make for a few plotholes, but I forgive this, since the book is otherwise quite well written.

The three POV’s for the story are:

Beth: A woman on the run from her abusive husband. I particularly enjoyed her chapters, which comprise the majority of the novel, because of the way she narrates what shes’ doing. She refers to her husband in second person, ex. “I’m doing this because of you,” which sent chills up my spine more than once!

Jeffrey: A man who returns home from work one day to discover that his wife has disappeared.

Marcus: A police detective who will do anything to uncover the truth of what has happened.

Despite the fact that the story is told from multiple first-person POVs, it is quite easy to read and follow. The three main characters have unique thinking styles, and the POV scenes don’t jump from one to another too often, making this a quick and easy read.

I recommend this novel to any fan of psychological thrillers. It doesn’t rely on an unlikeable main character as its hook, and has a refreshing take on the genre.
This book was definitely a great one, and one that sits at the top of my list! I honestly never figured out the ending until the very end, with about 50 pages left. It was a great story with an even better ending, This is a great book for anyone who appreciates thrillers and mysteries. This was a fantastic follow up to The Marriage Lie, which I also loved!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this cleverly written thriller! We experience Beth's fear that her abusive husband will find her as she acts out the escape plan she's thought of for a year, feeling her braveness along with her fear.
We also follow the search for another missing woman from their town, Sabine, and the story and characters will keep you guessing as to how these women are tied to each other, and what the truth is behind their past.
It's a twisted, suspenseful, keeps-you-guessing thriller about abuse, lies, courage, and exposing the filth about what goes on behind some closed doors.
This is the kind of book where the less said the better- due to the plot’s twists and turns. Dear Wife opens with an abused wife Beth on the run from her horrible husband. We meet the husband early on too. At the same time as the woman is on the run, a husband reports his wife, Sabine, missing in the town where Beth is running from- Pine Bluffs. You won’t want to put the book down. I read it on one rainy day. I just didn’t want to stop until I knew ALL the answers. I will recommend this one to friends for sure.