The Missing Sister

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Mar 2019

When Belle Hatton arrived in Burma, she felt a mixture of excitement and apprehension. It was the 1930s and her father had recently passed. Among his papers she found an old newspaper clipping which told of a baby’s disappearance from her pram in her parent’s garden in Rangoon. Belle had been rocked to learn she had had a sister – she had thought she was an only child; her mother had died years earlier. Now, her determination to discover what had happened ran through her thoughts continually.

Belle loved her new job – singing was her passion; to become a nightclub singer felt glamorous and held promise that she could advance her career over the years. But Belle’s questions about that long ago kidnapping obviously made some people uncomfortable. Was Belle putting herself in danger? Oliver, an American journalist she had met, used his contacts to help her – but could she trust him? The anonymous notes were beginning to scare her…

The Missing Sister is another excellent historical fiction novel by this extremely talented author. I have loved everything Dinah Jefferies has written, and this one didn’t disappoint. Strong characters, mystery, intrigue and danger all blended with fascinating details of Burma and surrounds. Always well written, I have no hesitation in highly recommending The Missing Sister to fans of historical fiction.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
Wow, I have just finished this book and was blown away. The description of Burma and Mandalay and the events throughout the 1930's were enthralling. Belle's story and family circumstances both in Burma and Cheltenham held me to the end. I will definitely be reading more of Dinah Jeffries books.
Another excellent book by Dinah Jefferies. It is set in 1930's Burma and whilst working there as a singer Belle tries to find her sister. Has good background information about Burma and again is another brilliant book by this author.
I love her books.
Belle is due to take up a job as a singer in a hotel in Burma in the 1930s when she comes across a newspaper cutting in her late father's belongings about a sister that she never knew she had going missing!   Determined to find out the truth once she arrives in Burma she finds that she doesn't know who she can trust......and is she putting herself in danger!

Another great book by this author,  I have visited Burma and loved it so jumped at the chance when I saw this book was about Burma.  The storyline is compelling and works well with the dual timeline of Belle in the 1930s and her mother in the 1910s.
I don't know any author who paints scenes as vividly as Dinah Jefferies. The book is set mostly in 1930s Burma where Belle Hatton arrives to begin a glamorous job as a nightclub singer. But she is intrigued by a family secret: a 25 year-old newspaper cutting discovered in her parents' belongings after their deaths tells of their rapid departure from Rangoon in 1911 after the disappearance of their baby daughter, Elvira. Belle is determined to find out what happened to the sister she never realised she had. Details emerge showing that her mother was thought responsible for the baby's death although this was never proved but as Belle delves further into the mystery she finds herself in danger from someone who clearly wants the truth to remain hidden - but who should she trust?

If ever a novel had the power to transport me to another place, it's this one! I could feel the oppressive heat, see the glittering gold-roofed pagodas, hear the temple bells and imagine myself walking down the streets swarming with rickshaws, bicycles, cars and horse-drawn gharries.

Life for the British people when Belle's mother arrived in the early 1900s was glamourous and exciting:

"Cocktails, dinner parties and those lavish, night-long garden parties. The sheer joy of a Parisian silk dress skimming my skin...Then, having drunk too much champagne, watching pink and orange lanterns swaying in the breeze as the sky turned indigo just before dawn. But oh, the garden, with its perfumed flowers and the huge canopies of trees where monkeys swung in the branches."

So what went wrong?

Some sections are told from the mother's point of view, describing her post-natal experience, the collapse of their marriage and her altered life back in England and the impossible condition to which she was forced to agree.

I found both viewpoints equally absorbing and they are skilfully woven together to reach a satisfying conclusion. I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical mysteries set in exotic locations.
I've enjoyed Dinah Jefferies' previous novels but it would be kinder to say nothing about this one. I couldn't believe in the main character or anything that happened to her.
Another gripping read from Dinah Jeffries.  She captures the mystery and potential dangers of 1930’s Burma.  I loved it.
Dinah Jefferies has done it again. There hasn’t been one of her books that I’ve not enjoyed.  Always managing to transport you back to an era long gone. This time to Burma while it was still part of the British empire.  She has such a way in describing Burma that you get a clear picture of it’s culture, history and the country’s beauty.

Belle’s journey starts with the death of her father. In clearing out her fathers possessions she comes across a cutting from an old newspaper, where she discovers that she had an older sister that was taken from the family home in Rangoon Burma.

Before Belle found out about a missing sister she had already accepted a job as a singer in one of Rangoon’s wealthy hotels.  With the little knowledge she has about her missing sister and the lives of her parents while living in Burma, Belle becomes intrigued to see if she can find out anything about what happened to her family all those years ago.  Taking her on a journey of discovery & betrayal, and not knowing who she can really trust.

The story goes back and forth with Belle’s life in 1930’s Rangoon and her mother’s life in the 1910’s though to 1920’s.

An excellent read as always.
Belle Hatton travels to Burma to take up a job as singer in a hotel, following the death of her father. Her mother had been distant during her childhood and had left when Belle was young. On clearing the family home, Belle discovers newspaper clippings concerning the disappearance of her elder sister, Elvira, who had vanished as a baby from the family home in Rangoon. According to the reports, her mother was the prime suspect and so Belle decides to try and uncover the truth.

Set in 1930s Burma, Belle’s story is interwoven with the growing unrest in the country and the attitudes and behaviour of the British of the time. The characters and the settings are well described and the story is well thought out and moves along st a steady pace. My only criticism would be whether the characters would have remembered small events of 25 years previously. However, I did enjoy reading the book.

An enjoyable read, with a story to keep the reader interested to the end,
As good as the other Dinah Jeffries books - definitely worth waiting for. She mixes cultures in different eras and transforms them into a wonderful mix. At one stage I could smell the spices and hear the noises as though I was part of the story the description was so good. Can’t wait for her next book
I wasn't too sure whether this book would be for me but I loved it! The story is so much more than described and is thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end!
After the death of her father, Belle heads to Rangoon to work as as singer.  Having found press cuttings about a missing baby 25 years ago she decided to try and find her missing sister.

Plenty of intrigue and romance along the way.
Another great read from the author, telling the story of Belle in 1936 and her mother Diane in 1922. Belle ends up in Rangoon, where her family used to live and discovers she has an older sister who went missing as a baby.
Belle Hatton embarks on a career as a singer in 1930s Burma.  Whilst there she wants to see if she can uncover any information regarding her elder sister who disappeared from her parents' house when she was a small baby. Who can Belle trust and who is not all what they seem.
Yet again as Dinah Jefferies takes you back to the recent past with a tale of love and betrayal set in pre war Burma. Beautifully atmospheric a page turner
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and could not put it down. Another excellent and captivating story from this very skilled author. Definitely recommended to everyone.
Set in Burma whilst still a British Colony this novel provides a series of colourful descriptions of Burma during this time, with an enthralling mystery at its heart. The main characters are Belle,  a singer drawn to Burma as her parents lived there at the time her sister disappeared, and Oliver, a journalist, who helps Belle to understand what happened to her sister. A great read, with plenty of false trails to uncover along the way, whilst all the time enjoying the writing of Ms Jefferies that brings the period and the location to colourful life.
SPOILER ALERT**
This was a well written, 'easy' read.  I felt that some of the description of pre-war Burma was a little 'preachy' in places though it made a change to read about a place slightly off the tourist track.  Some of the plot felt shoe-horned in and the hurried ending was fairly predictable.  There were a few ends left undone, for example who was behind the bomb in Myanmar?   I'd like to have known more about Edward and Gloria's involvement in the death scares and the relationships between mothers and daughters were touched on and I felt should either have been left out or gone into in more detail... perhaps another book?
This is such a beautifully written book that really feels like you're there with how descriptive it is without being over the top with it. It really is also such a gripping story that makes this book such an enjoyable read.
The Missing Sister is the third book I have read written by Dinah Jefferies and I have loved them all .This story is set in Burma in the 1930;s .It is the story of Bella who becomes a night club singer in Burma but she is also looking  for her older sister who was abducted from the family home when they were living in Burma  many years ago .The story is atmospheric with such beautiful descriptions of colours and sound that I felt I was actually there !This is such a compelling story,beautifully written I thoroughly enjoyed it .Many thanks to the Publisher ,the Author and NetGalley for my review copy in return for an honest review .